Parenting WWYD

You waited till college to attend keg parties? Where and when I grew up, that would be late, lol.

But what I'm saying is that, times have changed since we were that age. It was not uncommon back then to go over someone's house to hang out - and drink. The same thing today has become irresponsible. I mean, I don't know that many here would disagree with a parent being able to make that decision for their own child, and the laws, at least in my state, even recognize that. But parents giving alcohol to other kids just isn't couth anymore.

Oh no doubt, I am just amazed how threads on the dis "turn". i mean I totally agree it was a dumb but not uncommon move but of course in true dis fashion it has some how turned and the kids are busing alcohol and the teacher has mental issues??

Seriously?

But you are right, I often am amazed that I made it to 57. If my parents had to live up to Dis rules they would have been arrested 100 times but then I've been told I'm a child abuser since my kids got spanked once or twice so don't go by me.

Yes, you can say that about many things, but we are talking about giving alcohol to young kids without their parents' permission or even their knowledge by people they are taught at an early age to trust them to teach them right from wrong. Sorry, but I have more respect for kids and adults than these two parents do, and when they are potentially endangering the life of a child by allowing them to harm their bodies and act irresponsibly, they get no sympathy from me.
So, you said you would have no problem reporting this mother to the police.

Would you still do it if your daughter would be so angry at you for getting her friend's mother in trouble with the police, get them fired from their jobs, that she no longer trusts you and causes her to stop communication? That she now feels like she has to sneak behind your back so that her other friends' parents don't get in trouble with the police?

There are so many more long term consequences to consider than just the immediate knee jerk reaction to involve police. Your daughter's loss of friends, your daughter's loss of trust in you? Is what the mother is doing dangerous enough to risk the loss of trust of your child? It is a difficult balance of consequences one would have to consider very carefully before choosing what to do about the mother.

Is what the mother is doing dangerous enough to risk alienating your child? Or is it better to just focus on teaching your child how to handle pressure and teach them to make choices that may be the unpopular choice amongst their peers.

Last edited:
I'm not giving them sympathy and sympathy is not needed since nothing catastrophic happen but I'm also not turning them into Attila the hun. now I didn't give alcohol to other parent's kid for the simple reason they were not my kids, but as I said lol my kids definitely had wine and beer at 16. Some how my husband, I and grandparents had no idea we were Endangering our kids.

Alcohol at 15/16 is not a guarantee of them abusing anything.

A lapse in judgment does not equate for some how not respecting or liking children
Attila the Hun? :rotfl2: And just as you said, the difference is that they were YOUR kids, not someone else's that you may have not even met. Yes, I have more respect for others than to do something like that without making sure it was acceptable. That's just my personal opinion. No one needs to agree with it. Differences make the world interesting. Lol

Would you still do it if your daughter would be so angry at you for getting her friend's mother in trouble with the police, get them fired from their jobs, that she no longer trusts you and causes her to stop communication? That she now feels like she has to sneak behind your back so that her other friends' parents don't get in trouble with the police?

There are so many more long term consequences to consider than just the immediate knee jerk reaction to involve police. Your daughter's loss of friends, your daughter's loss of trust in you? Is what the mother is doing dangerous enough to risk the loss of trust of your child? It is a difficult balance of consequences one would have to consider very carefully before chosing what to do about the mother.
Yep. I would have no issue, and my daughter knows right from wrong. She would 100% agree with me on this, and she's 13, so agreeing with me is not something she wants to do often, but on this, it wouldn't even be a question. :rotfl2:

Yep. I would have no issue, and my daughter knows right from wrong. She would 100% agree with me on this, and she's 13, so agreeing with me is not something she wants to do often, but on this, it wouldn't even be a question. :rotfl2:
You do realize that if you were in the same position as the OP where you were deciding whether to call the police on this mother, your daughter would have to have been at that party and would have been drinking at that party. So, she would have already gone against your beliefs of what is right and wrong.

A good friend who is also a teacher as is her husband, have been providing beer for their 16 year old daughter and her friends occasionally. She doesn't let them drive anywhere and they must sleepover.

My 16 year old son is friends with her dd. When she told me about providing beer it old her " well please don't invite my son to any of those parties."

Last night, son went to a party at her house with 25 other kids and beer was served. All kids are 15-16 years old. Yes, my son had a few beers.

I must be naive to think she would have at least mentioned it to me. I know the friendship won't ever be the same. I thought she was a smart person, am learning that is not the case.

?

So OP knows in advance that the hostess serves beer to daughter's friends.

OP disapproves, and asks that her son not be invited to such parties.

Invitation arrives, and OP lets her son attend a party there.

Then OP gets upset that beer was served.

Alrighty then.

:sad2: :rolleyes:

Sounds like the hostess is not the only person with poor judgment.

You do realize that if you were in the same position as the OP where you were deciding whether to call the police on this mother, your daughter would have to have been at that party and would have been drinking at that party. So, she would have already gone against your beliefs of what is right and wrong.
My response was to the OP's current situation, after the fact. If she ever attends a party like that, she would call me immediately to pick her up. So she may show up, but she will do the right thing and get out. She has been through some pretty heavy situations in her short life, and trust me when I tell you that she is not the type to do something she should not be doing. She's about to get her 2nd degree black belt. If someone tries to pressure her into something she doesn't want to do, she will have no trouble taking them down. :rotfl2:

I just happened to stumble across this article the other day. It happened in 2008. Teen girl was at the "cool" house where dad was home and let the kids drink before he went to bed.
From the article:
Before retiring, Jane's father admonished the guests not to drink. (He later explained to police that he was concerned the girls were thinking of drinking, and he felt compelled to tell them not to.) He then left them seated around the open bar.

A teen girl went on to drink 15 shots of vodka, spent the night in the bathroom throwing up and passing out, and they found her in the morning already dead with blood and bruises on her face from presumably smacking her face against the toilet.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/parenting/a13054/binge-drinking-killed-shelby-allen/

This was our first year where we had a Christmas party and DD's friends were 21. It was strange! Almost all of their parents were also at the party and they were going home together, but it was still weird to see these "adults" I've known since they were kids holding a glass of wine in my house. I would have never allowed them to drink here when they were underage. It is one thing to give your own kid a glass of wine with dinner, it is completely different when you are allowing underage kids to throw a party and drink.

I skimmed, but what was interesting was that the host parents were not charged with a crime--not even supplying alcohol to a minor. The daughter of the host parents was charged since she was aware of her friend's deteriorating condition, but was acquitted. Legally speaking, the teen that died was responsible for her own drinking, and tragically her own death. No one forced her to take 15 shots of vodka.

I'm just curious, are your kids in a private school or in some sort of extra curricular (sports, honor society etc) that has a code of conduct contract?

As a parent, I would have a really hard time with a public school with that kind of reach. My DS was an athlete and had a contract that he took seriously and adhered too, my DD is not an athlete and has no such contract. Her school has no authority to what she does off campus.

I live in MN and each student who participates in extra curricular activities must sign a code of conduct form. It does not matter if you are currently participating or not. It is pretty far reaching and if a student doesn't sign, they don't participate. This one is dated last year, but I doubt it has changed.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/publications/code/forms/2014-15AthEligInfo.pdf

I think people are only mandated reporters within the confines of their job.

Not necessarily. As a school employee I recently took an online recertification course in identifying and reporting abuse. The OP said she's a certified reporter for child abuse, but that has many definitions. It's not just physical abuse (as in hitting), but emotional abuse or putting a child in a situation that could result in bodily or emotional harm. It also includes neglect (lack of food, shelter, etc.). It covers what adults do to/for children, as well as what they don't do for them. Giving your own child a beer in the confines of your own home, while technically illegal, is one thing. Serving beer to a group of children, especially including those who are not your own, becomes a different type of issue. If a mandated reporter knew for a fact that beer was being served to minors, they would be required to report it. If something happened to one of those children as a result and it became known that a mandated reporter had knowledge of the event and did not report it, that person can become responsible.

Whether you report things that happen outside of your job is a judgement call. If, for example, you see a child crying on the street with a parent who looks annoyed or agitated but you see no actual harm come to the child, you don't need to report. You have no idea about the circumstances that led to that child crying (maybe the parent said no to ice cream or a new toy). A crying child is not necessarily an abused child. On the other hand, if you have firsthand knowledge of an abusive situation (you know that a young neighborhood child is being left home alone, you witness an adult strike or injure a child), you must report it. It's the "it takes a village" kind of mentality. We are trained regarding when and how to report, so we must keep an eye out for the safety of all children.

One thing that was very clear in the training is that if you're ever in doubt regarding whether or not to report a situation, ask. If I were in the OP's situation, I would call CPS or the non-emergency police number, describe the situation, and ask whether or not it's something I am required to report. I would not speak to either parent's school principal. This is not an issue with their job. The issue has to do with their behavior as parents and as citizens. If they end up being reported and the investigator brings their status as teachers into it, that's the agency's call.

You can say that about 50 gazillion things smitch. I agree its irresponsible. no one has any idea if anyone is redisposed to anything. If I serve my 18 year old son and he has the predisposition for alcoholism is it better because he's 18??

If a kid is predisposed to obesity is it better to find out at 25 then 15.

Let's not assigning worst case scenario.
Yes, if a person is

There are so many more long term consequences to consider than just the immediate knee jerk reaction to involve police. Your daughter's loss of friends, your daughter's loss of trust in you? Is what the mother is doing dangerous enough to risk the loss of trust of your child? It is a difficult balance of consequences one would have to consider very carefully before choosing what to do about the mother.

Is what the mother is doing dangerous enough to risk alienating your child? Or is it better to just focus on teaching your child how to handle pressure and teach them to make choices that may be the unpopular choice amongst their peers.
Has no one ever heard of calling in anonymously? And then deny, deny, deny?:rolleyes1

I do agree that (for food and drink) a "forbidden fruit" is far more likely to be abused than something treated as normal and ordinary. My own parents allowed me to try a sip of their drinks if I asked, and I grew up without it being a mystery. By the time I was at parties with alcohol, I was past the curiosity stage and didn't get into any trouble with drinking.

So I have no problem with a parent letting their own child try alcohol at home. But I don't think it's OK to give it to someone else's child without their permission. Considering the parents involved work with kids, I'm really surprised they are taking such a risk!

That said, I would still probably stay out of it. My answer would be different if there was driving involved, but as it stands, I doubt I'd be able to change their minds, so I wouldn't put my own kid in the middle. (In this day and age, though, I also wouldn't want him at parties there in the future. He could get in trouble at school just by being at a drinking party.)

Not necessarily. As a school employee I recently took an online recertification course in identifying and reporting abuse. The OP said she's a certified reporter for child abuse, but that has many definitions. It's not just physical abuse (as in hitting), but emotional abuse or putting a child in a situation that could result in bodily or emotional harm. It also includes neglect (lack of food, shelter, etc.). It covers what adults do to/for children, as well as what they don't do for them. Giving your own child a beer in the confines of your own home, while technically illegal, is one thing. Serving beer to a group of children, especially including those who are not your own, becomes a different type of issue. If a mandated reporter knew for a fact that beer was being served to minors, they would be required to report it. If something happened to one of those children as a result and it became known that a mandated reporter had knowledge of the event and did not report it, that person can become responsible.

Whether you report things that happen outside of your job is a judgement call. If, for example, you see a child crying on the street with a parent who looks annoyed or agitated but you see no actual harm come to the child, you don't need to report. You have no idea about the circumstances that led to that child crying (maybe the parent said no to ice cream or a new toy). A crying child is not necessarily an abused child. On the other hand, if you have firsthand knowledge of an abusive situation (you know that a young neighborhood child is being left home alone, you witness an adult strike or injure a child), you must report it. It's the "it takes a village" kind of mentality. We are trained regarding when and how to report, so we must keep an eye out for the safety of all children.

One thing that was very clear in the training is that if you're ever in doubt regarding whether or not to report a situation, ask. If I were in the OP's situation, I would call CPS or the non-emergency police number, describe the situation, and ask whether or not it's something I am required to report. I would not speak to either parent's school principal. This is not an issue with their job. The issue has to do with their behavior as parents and as citizens. If they end up being reported and the investigator brings their status as teachers into it, that's the agency's call.
ETA- By "confines of the job" I meant "on the clock". It was a poor choice of words.

Is there a different number you call when you "on the clock" as opposed to not? I'm genuinely curious, wondering how this works in the real world vs. information from text books. I'm majoring in social work right now. In one of the classes we were told that you're only "mandated by law" when you are on the clock, but like anyone else you can technically report anything, you just call the public number.

If reporting something like this situation, with the illegality and all the possible dangers and poor outcomes, causes your own child to go off the deep end and never trust you again, to sneak around behind your back to do things she KNOWS are against your family's rules, I'd say you have BIG problems in your relationship with your child to begin with.

In Maine, it's illegal to provide alcohol to minors, even at a party you are hosting in your own home. These parents are crazy to do this- here, it'd cost them their jobs in addition to fines and community service, maybe even jail time. The hosting parents KNEW how you felt about this but served your son anyhow. Now, I question why you let your son go to this party in the first place, knowing he'd either be served beer or have to face the peer/social pressure of refusing, but that was your choice. I think I'd make sure my son knew that this wasn't acceptable, and I'd let the hosting mom know that too, and that you cannot trust her judgement when it comes to your son anymore. I'd also be tempted to call the authorities and report it anonymously. They can't "do" anything about it at this point, except maybe go over and talk with the hosting parents, but that action alone might make them realize that what they are doing is illegal and wrong.

If I recall correctly, the OP is in the western NY area. There have been lots of PSAs about this issue over the last few years. Basically they said an adult serving alcohol to minors is illegal & urging the public to report known instances to authorities. I would think if you were worried about the safety of the other kids at the party, an anonymous call to the local police at the time of the party would have been the thing to do.

Ok how did we go from having a beer to hooked on alcohol.

My kids drank wine before they got their drivers license and no they aren't hooked.

I definitely drank before 21.

I don't work with kids so I don't know the "tell the authorities" aspect

I have nothing against kids drinking in their own home with parental knowledge. I think making alcohol taboo only makes teens want it more. My 16 year old has asked to taste things and I let her. If she had friends over I wouldn't allow my dd or her friends to drink.anything.

What a parent does with their own kids isn't my business. However, involving my child in illegal activity wouldn't fly.

ETA- By "confines of the job" I meant "on the clock". It was a poor choice of words.

Is there a different number you call when you "on the clock" as opposed to not? I'm genuinely curious, wondering how this works in the real world vs. information from text books. I'm majoring in social work right now. In one of the classes we were told that you're only "mandated by law" when you are on the clock, but like anyone else you can technically report anything, you just call the public number.

My experience matches your class instruction so far. As a substitute teacher, I would report something at school through the counselor, and she would make the actual call. (I've thankfully only had to do that once.) Outside of school, I would use a general line just like anyone else. (I've thankfully not had to do that at all.)

I'm pretty sure I'd report it anonymously. I would hope the investigators could figure out a way to bust them at the next party.

My child would not be going there anymore. Period.

In work situations I would be cordial and polite. If asked why our relationship changed I would be honest. "Because you illegally & without my permission provided alcohol to my underage son." That's all I would need to say & I would repeat it if necessary.

Drinking with your own kids is one thing. Having other children drinking in your home is another. Just because they drove kids home who were not sleeping over doesn't make it okay. What if those kids went home & then left again - driving themselves? what if these kids were to have a reaction to the alcohol? These parents have no right to make this call, there could be addiction history in the family, kids could be on medications that don't mix with alcohol. So many unknowns. And I'm sure the kids feel the pressure to drink, the parents are pouring!

I would have to call it in because I would feel horrible if in 6 months something did happen to someone else's child. Usually I would deal with my kid and stay out of it but this is very dangerous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter