Parents of Class of 2018 thread

Hi :wave2:
My DD is a rising HS freshman too. DS just finished his first year of college, so at least I know what to expect over the next 4 years for her. I have no doubt it will go by quickly!

We are done Thursday but start glad days tomorrow. We didn't start until September 9th this year and then all the snow days. UGH! This year ether have freshman starting August 27 and everyone else 28th. We picked our classes back in February. He is taking:
AE Honors English
Honors Geometry
Honors Biology
Honors US History
Spanish 1
Intro to Business (1st choice) or Entrepreneurship (2nd choice)

He is most excited about the business class! I was not a student....I got by on social skills, not academics so I am trying not to stress out over his schedule. We had said he only had to take 2 honors of his 4 core classes. He has to take English and was doing Geometry. Then someone said you have to take Honors Biology and he was taking US History but his teacher changed it. So we are leaving it be. I hope he will be okay. I also want him to stay involved with school activities and have fun!! I need something to worry about I guess.

Matt and Julia can do the college program together, she wants to do it, too! Not that she's decided on college or career yet, LOL Right now, we're finishing up middle school-trip to Great Adventure tomorrow Recognition Night("graduation") Tuesday, dinner dance Wednesday, last day of school Thursday. She just tried out, and made, the freshman cheering team last week. Class schedules will come out in July, but shes already picked all her classes.

Deal. The have to wait for each other and I told him he can only do Spring Advantage to start so he is not working Christmas. We have put a lot of thought into this.

And I love you call it Great Adventure.

I'm glad some are posting classes. I was having a hard time with our number. Looks like students have from 6-8 classes.

This is my daughter's freshman load:
Ancient Greek Lit-on line
Ancient Greek History (combines with the Lit class)
Latin 200-on line
Geometry
Biology
English
Piano
Theology

And due to our vacation and my broken ankle, we have the lingering Physical Science and Algebra I classes we are finishing up.

We have a lighter outside commitment load next year, so hiccups due to illness or injury should not be as big of an issue.

I'm glad some are posting classes. I was having a hard time with our number. Looks like students have from 6-8 classes.

This is my daughter's freshman load:
Ancient Greek Lit-on line
Ancient Greek History (combines with the Lit class)
Latin 200-on line
Geometry
Biology
English
Piano
Theology

And due to our vacation and my broken ankle, we have the lingering Physical Science and Algebra I classes we are finishing up.

We have a lighter outside commitment load next year, so hiccups due to illness or injury should not be as big of an issue.

I think I'd like to take those classes, especially Greek Lit and Theology.

Our high school doesn't allow freshmen to take AP. Our middle & high schools have a block schedule, with math everyday, and everything else alternating days. It works great until we have snow days, then it gets confusing! Her classes will be:
Pre-AP Alg 2/Trig
Pre-AP Bio
Pre-AP English 9
Pre-AP World History 2 (Pre-Ap is equivalent to honors elsewhere, I would guess.)
PE
Choir
Spanish 2

For all the sciences they're required to take the pre-AP class first, which I think is kind of odd, though I guess it equals out to the old Bio & then Bio 2. So next year she'll take AP Bio & pre-AP Chem in the same year.

I'm glad some are posting classes. I was having a hard time with our number. Looks like students have from 6-8 classes. This is my daughter's freshman load: Ancient Greek Lit-on line Ancient Greek History (combines with the Lit class) Latin 200-on line Geometry Biology English Piano Theology And due to our vacation and my broken ankle, we have the lingering Physical Science and Algebra I classes we are finishing up. We have a lighter outside commitment load next year, so hiccups due to illness or injury should not be as big of an issue.

They just changed our schedule.
Right now it's 9, 41 minute periods, which includes lunch, so 8 classes and lunch.
They changed it to 7 50 minute periods and ONE 45 minute lunch period.
Everyone was up in arms over the loss of a period and the one lunch(1200 kids, two cafeterias that the fire dept says have a limit of 573 total).

They've kept the one lunch, but have added the 8th class back in, using a rotating 8 day schedule.
So, each day you drop one class.
Day 1, you have classes 1,2,3,4, lunch,5,6,7
The next day is Day 8 and you have 8,1,2,3,lunch,4,5,6
Next, Day 7 is 7,8,1,2, lunch, 3,4,5

We'll see how it all works out! I'm just glad they get the 8 classes, so I'm willing to put trust in the school for now.

Deal. The have to wait for each other and I told him he can only do Spring Advantage to start so he is not working Christmas. We have put a lot of thought into this. And I love you call it Great Adventure.

Perfect!
And it will always be Great Adventure to me, not Six Flags. LOL

Another class of 2018 parent checking in. DD13 and DD14 will both be members of that class. Their 8th grade graduation ceremony was last Thursday, and surprisingly, I did not tear up at all. That being said, I am tearing up while writing this post.

The last day of school was yesterday, and it could not come soon enough. DD13 has really gotten involved with boys and her social life this last marking period, and her grades show it. DD14 is a strong student, but even her grades slipped a bit this last marking period.

DD13 is taking
Physical Science
Algebra I
English Seminar
Spanish II
and the rest I can not remember

DD14 is taking
Biology / Advanced Biology
Geometry
Spanish II
Global Issues
English Seminar
and the rest I can not remember

They are on a block / semester schedule for most classes, so they can take two languages / math / science, etc. per year. Our school leaves one block open for lunch / teacher help / study hall. A student can choose to fill that block with band or chorus, but my kids chose to leave it open. They both plan to play two seasons of high school sports, so we thought it would be a good idea to leave that time open.

I think high school will be a challenge for both of my DDs, but I am looking forward to all the opportunities they will have to find activities that interest them. They tend to not participate in activities other than sports, so I need to figure out how to encourage them to step out of their comfort zones and get involved.

Today is the first day of summer vacation, and I have not gotten one call yet from them complaining about one another. Yoo hoo!

We finish Thursday. Yesterday was a field trip where they had use of a swimming pool with 4 waterslides and other activities like volleyball. Recognition night is tomorrow followed by a dinner dance. Thursday the entire school gets to go to their next year's teacher/homeroom but since 8th graders have no where to go they basically get things like their report card and hang out. We go back a few days before Labor Day.

We have 7 classes with a 6 class a day rotating schedule. Freshman can't take any AP classes that I know about. DD doesn't have a finalized schedule but should be taking:

Honors English
Honors Geometry
Honors US History 1
Honors Biology
Honors Spanish 2
Honors Accounting 1
PE/Health

Does anyone have summer assignments? DD wasn't amused to find out that now all high school math classes have summer homework. It doesn't look hard maybe a dozen pages of Algebra I review. She also has to read two books from a list, take some notes and write a one page paper for English.

Does anyone have summer assignments? DD wasn't amused to find out that now all high school math classes have summer homework. It doesn't look hard maybe a dozen pages of Algebra I review. She also has to read two books from a list, take some notes and write a one page paper for English.

DD has to read Of Mice and Men plus one other book from a list and annotate. She is happy to read but hates doing the notes part, oh well thems the breaks! lol

For World Lit:
Your first assignment is to read at least two books over the summer:
 The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
 Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Feel free to read more than just these two books, but remember that reading The Book Thief and Of Mice and Men is mandatory for this assignment.
During-
Reading Instructions: A dialectical journal allows you as the reader to have a written conversation with yourself about a piece of literature. This strategy encourages active reading and it allows you to get in the habit of reflective questioning. You will use a double- entry format to examine details of a passage and synthesize your understanding of the text.

I see on the website a summer math packet for geometry, but they haven't given it to her yet.

My youngest DS will be a Freshman this year! Hurts me to think that in 4 years my nest will be empty!

School ended May 23rd here! We are well into summer! DS14 has already been to a week of Boy Scout camp, in Florida, a 2 day Drum Line Clinic, and we spent 5 days visiting family in Nebraska. He started daily rehearsals today for Peter Pan, with our local Children's Musical Theater. He has a week of Drum Line camp at his HS in July, the play is July 17-20, and daily Marching Band camp for the whole band starts July 28. That lasts until school starts on August 12.

No AP classes for Freshmen here. He registered for
Honors Geometry
Pre AP English
Honors Biology
Oklahoma History/Financial Literacy
German I
Drama I
Band

He has to read a book for English, I haven't looked to see what it is! Must take notes and be prepared to write an essay with a prompt, on the first day of school. Will have to learn and memorize the music for the marching band show. No other summer homework!

He is thinking maybe Enigeneering for college. Inspired by seeing the cool stuff they were doing while touring Universities with his big brother!

My ds has to read The Book Thief and thoroughly define 20 literary devices/techniques. He also has to take detailed notes that pertain to 5 questions and will be tested on them the 3rd day of school.

Got our son's schedule, noticed he did not get Honors Lab/Earth Science like he was supposed to, and they couldn't fit another science (most students "double up" freshman year), so he has a study hall last period of the day.

So, there's a voicemail waiting for his counselor. ;)

My oldest DS is class of 2018. Time sure does go by fast! He is going to the same high school I went to. There are even some of the same teachers that I had 28 years ago! I can't remember his class list, but I know he has a reading assignment over the summer. I had to sign a permission slip for that.

My youngest will be a Freshman in the Fall. This is his second week of summer break and I just woke him up. I think he's up half the night on the computer!

Thank goodness he has two weeks of band camp coming up. He hasn't been out of the house much in the last week and a half. He is going into a pretty tough academic year coming up on top of Marching Band, so I really don't mind him lazing away a lot of the summer.

Since we're sharing schedules, DD's freshman classes are:
Honors English 1
Honors Biology 1
Honors World History
Honors Algebra 2/Trig
Honors Spanish 3
Gym/health
Art (she has declared that she'd like a fun class each year to balance the honors/AP load)

I don't think she has any summer assignments. Don't recall DS having any in HS

My oldest DS is class of 2018. Time sure does go by fast! He is going to the same high school I went to. There are even some of the same teachers that I had 28 years ago! I can't remember his class list, but I know he has a reading assignment over the summer. I had to sign a permission slip for that.

There are still teachers in the middle school that were there when DH and I went there over 30 years ago. There is a teacher at the high school now that I dated when we were in middle school. Fun times living in a small town! Oh, and I have not shared with DDs who it was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter