Parents of Class of 2018 thread

So are we the only ones that have not started reading our summer book yet? :guilty: My son is at Walt Disney World right now with my mom and we told him as soon as he gets back, he has to start reading and the staying up until 3:00 am and sleeping until 12 needs to come to an end!!!

So are we the only ones that have not started reading our summer book yet? :guilty: My son is at Walt Disney World right now with my mom and we told him as soon as he gets back, he has to start reading and the staying up until 3:00 am and sleeping until 12 needs to come to an end!!!

My son had to read two, do a bunch of writing with each, and also a math packet. He's completely finished the first along with all assignments and is halfway through his second book. Hasn't done math yet, but that's the one that comes easiest to him.

Of course, we don't go back until after Labor Day, so he's got time. But August is super busy for him, so he knows he needs to get this stuff done now! First week of August is band camp (only a half day, but every day), followed by a week at sleep-away Boy Scout camp, followed by a week at Disney (yeah!), and then starting HS soccer team dog week! He'll have no time to get this done during all that!

Whatever happened to the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer? Our schedule seems just as full as during the school year!

Julia started The Book Thief, but she has to go back and reread because she has 9 quotes to analyze and is almost done. She needs 15. Whoops!

She still has Of Mice and Men, but that's so short.
Still, she needs to step it up, because next week we have houseguests for 3 days, the week after is 1D concert and then we leave for Uni/WDW for 10 days, then the day after we get back she has cheering camp for a week(at the high school, but still busy), and then there's a week and a half until school starts. :eek:

ETA: She IS done with her Geometry packet, so there's that! My going into 7th grade son has math, LA AND Social Studies, so he has more work than her. he has done nothing so far. LOL

I am continuously stalking my Infinite Campus app to see if the schedule has been posted. It always shows up there before the letter makes it home.

DD14 doesn't have any assignments for the summer and school starts back in 3 weeks. DS12 just found his middle school schedule was up today and based on his teachers, he figured out his team. DD's is not posted yet and we pick up schedules and register in 2 weeks.

Where has the summer gone?!

My youngest is a freshman this year, so now I'll have a freshman and junior! They don't start until after Labor Day!

They couldn't be anymore different! Oldest is in all AP & Honors classes, is an attorney in the Mock Trial Team (though she's going out for witness this year), on the Debate Team and an officer in the Theatre & Choir Council (she's been in most of the theatre performances-latest was Yente in Fiddler on the Roof). She has to read 5 books (3 for APEnglish, 1 for APUSH, & 1 for APGov).

Then there is my freshman...she'll be in all CP (college prep) classes and is on the Cheer Team and will be trying out for Winter/Spring Track. She hasn't even began to read her book- The Alchemist. I'm sure she'll be rushing through it right before Labor Day :goodvibes. We are just waiting to get her teacher assignments....already know the classes!

I'm finding the differences interesting, so I'll join in.

My oldest will begin high school on August 18.

He'll be taking:
English*
Biology*
Global Studies*
PE*
Pre-Calculus
French I
and an elective, hopefully Computer Programming

* all Freshmen at his school take these classes, there is some variety among the other choices

:teacher:

His summer reading assignment was:
Things Fall Apart
Siddharta (Hermann Hesse)
Edith Hamilton's Mythology

He also has to turn in papers about the Things Fall Apart novel and Mythology book. He will have a test on the Siddharta novel the first week of school.

The high school is having freshman orientation this week, a few half-days, but DS is missing it because he is away at camp.

I am sooooo NOT looking forward to school beginning. Worrying about (mostly for my 4th grader) bedtimes and packing lunches and homework and whatnot. Ugh. I love summer break.

What is the difference between honors classes and pre-AP classes?
We only have college prep, honors, and AP classes. There are also dual enrollment classes which I believe are only offered to juniors and seniors.

My daughter finishes up a freshman orientation type camp tomorrow but schedules aren't up yet. She knows the way around the high school but will have to wait until school starts to find out where her classrooms are unless something mysteriously happens by noon tomorrow.

What does everyone need to fulfill pe requirements? DD has to take 1/2 year of health and 1.5 years of gym. It may be possible to fulfill 1 year of pe by taking 1 fall and 1 spring sport but I'm not 100% sure if that is true.

What is the difference between honors classes and pre-AP classes? We only have college prep, honors, and AP classes. There are also dual enrollment classes which I believe are only offered to juniors and seniors. My daughter finishes up a freshman orientation type camp tomorrow but schedules aren't up yet. She knows the way around the high school but will have to wait until school starts to find out where her classrooms are unless something mysteriously happens by noon tomorrow. What does everyone need to fulfill pe requirements? DD has to take 1/2 year of health and 1.5 years of gym. It may be possible to fulfill 1 year of pe by taking 1 fall and 1 spring sport but I'm not 100% sure if that is true.
It's 4 years of gym here. Sports don't count towards your requirement.
I'm not sure of the difference between PreAp and honors. I know my kids, in their middle school advanced classes(they don't call them honors until high school) used the Springboard textbooks/curriculum which is marketed as a preAP program, but I'm not really sure.

Checking in to see how everyone is doing. :sad: We had orientation this past week and Wednesday is first day for 9th grade, everyone else starts Thursday.

Checking in to see how everyone is doing. :sad: We had orientation this past week and Wednesday is first day for 9th grade, everyone else starts Thursday.
Julia had cheering camp all week, so she was up at the high school everyday. This week is regular cheer practice a couple of days, and freshman orientation on Thursday. I don't think they do much other than let them walk around the school and find their classes, but that's all they really want. LOL
We don't start until 9/4.

My 5th grader starts Tuesday which is a high school teacher workshop day. My 9th grader goes Wednesday for orientation. Thursday grades 9-12 all go but it is mostly to meet teachers and find out needed supplies etc. There is no school Friday or Monday then classes start Tuesday.

My third is starting high school after labor day, which marks 1year until I don't have to drive him everywhere. This kid loves being involved which is great until I have to drive. Daniel is taking 3pre ap classes, accelerated math, and Japanese. Plus football, choir, band and is thinking about debate.

It's going to be a busy year my youngest starts first grade so I'm going to be on my own during the day. Everybody DANCE!!!!!!!!!!! Plus I'm down to 2 schools! Downside is that I'm going to be fighting the principal cause she wants control of the pta money. She won't win.

Light start this last week for my homeschooler. Some grumbling about study skill development and note taking. She piped down when I suggested changing the grading schematic so that I could put in 0's for failure on doing as asked.:lmao:

Geometry was a rough start when I realized the teacher packets had no solutions. :confused: Not going to get very far when only a few random problems have answers in the back. And personally doing the Geometry myself was laughable. (I'm great at math, but at this level--just give me the solutions!). Did some research on line to discover the expanded teacher manual for $30. Hated to spend it--but it will be the best $30 ever. It arrive Thursday and now we can grade the problems. Grateful that she did well on nearly week's worth of problems when we went back and graded.

Biology was easy peasy, but she is ready to dissect NOW! Um--mom can wait until to comes up on the lesson plan.:rolleyes1

Latin class starts on-line this coming week. Literature class commences Sept. 3 with her first on-line class.:yay: These will most likely be her most demanding classes.

This is our second child in high school, and none of us are really nervous. He's been in the high school marching band for years, and pretty much knows his way around the building.

We have been having such a hard time getting our son's schedule fixed. We never really had this problem with our daughter. Our son should have been in Honors Earth Science and also take Physics this year (they are allowed to "double up" on science Freshman year).

His schedule had him in college prep Earth Science and a study hall.

I called his counselor five times, leaving three messages. I emailed her once. I did not hear back from here at all.

Finally, at orientation, I marched into the counselor's office. His counselor had a line, but one of the other counselors helped move his schedule around to get him into an open section of Honors Earth Science.

Unfortunately, I have to make an appointment to talk to his real counselor to fix the study hall. It is actually a good thing he isn't in Physics, since he can't take Honors Physics until he has Algebra. So we are going to try to fit Spanish into his schedule.

What a pain in the butt.

DD started Wednesday and so far loves it. She had a last minute change of heart and decided she wanted to take Spanish 2 instead of chorus (I love my daughter endlessly but singer she is not...lol, of course I never told her that). Her counselor was able to make the switch which surprised me but yea Mrs. P!

It has been strange getting supplies in dribs and drabs but ok so far. We did discover she can carry a backpack in school so got her one yesterday and that should make life easier.

DD has been in school 2 weeks and so far, so good. We have a block schedule and she only has Lang. Arts, Honors Geometry, chorus, and gym. It's been a nice way to ease into the HS schedule since her homework is fairly light so far. Next semester she will have Geography, Biology, Chorus & French II. She'll take Speech but I forget how that works in her schedule. She got into Art, so she's very happy.

The stinker looked at us one day and said "You know why I didn't try very hard with my homework in middle school? Because I knew it didn't matter then". Argh. We are at least happy that she is buckling down now.

DD has been in school 2 weeks and so far, so good. We have a block schedule and she only has Lang. Arts, Honors Geometry, chorus, and gym.

Our school is block scheduled, but not for every class. Chorus and Band are all year (obviously) and one period long. Math and foreign language are all year one period as well. :confused3 Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, and electives are two period, one semester classes.

Our school is block scheduled, but not for every class. Chorus and Band are all year (obviously) and one period long. Math and foreign language are all year one period as well. :confused3 Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, and electives are two period, one semester classes.

All the typical full year classes take place over a semester here. Chorus can be half or full year and she is taking a full year. Gym is by quarter and she has art second quarter. Ok, just checked, Geography is only a quarter then she has speech.

DD#1 did fine with this type of schedule though it did make AP tests harder if you had the class fall semester. They do run review sessions for the month before which helps. I think it will work well for DD#2 because she won't be overwhelmed with so many subjects at once. People seem to either like it or really hate it around here.

My DD starts on Sept. 4th but she's been at the high school everyday since Aug. 11th because of cheer practice and she has her older sister who will be a junior as her guide so she's not stressed at all!

We got her schedule a couple of weeks ago but not her teachers and that's what she's really waiting to get. They have Freshman orientation this upcoming Thurs and a group of her friends are already planning to go to lunch afterwards. She's my social butterfly but she knows that she needs to have good grades to get into the college she wants to go-yep, she's already picked her top and 2nd choice, but I'm expecting that to change in the next couple of years :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter