Parents of HS class of 2020

Wondering how everyone’s kiddos are doing?

Mine is taking a gap semester after another year of doing well (4.0 still). She is currently a deep water lifeguard in the DCP at SAB. She has been there since the beginning of June and comes back in January right before spring semester starts. Her college put her scholarship on hold but getting all the confirmation of everything is making me very stressed.

The DCP is a lot of hours and days (6 a week for my DD) so she isn’t in the parks too much but I do still get snaps of her having a blast when she makes it to them. She is really enjoying her program, has excellent roommates, and loves her leaders. As of right now she doesn’t plan to extend (wants to get back to college in January) but I could see that changing.

Hard to believe the kids have been in college for two years! Mine still at UCF, just moved apartments. Doing well, heading a committee in her professional group. Will be down to see her in a month for our annual HHN trip!
Because she didn’t get her senior trip in 2020 we flew her out to meet us when we went to Hawaii this summer- was good to see her as we hadn’t seen her since Christmas.
@dreamer17555 sounds like your kiddo has found a good fit in her DCP!

I always wonder how these 2020 graduates are holding up. I am praying that they are all resilient and thriving! My DS ended up at the University of Michigan and marches in their band. Housing was a logistical nightmare the first 2 years which I am happy to have behind us! This year he is in a house with band mates adjacent to the practice field.

I know he will be on the 5- year plan because he has NO idea what career he wants to pursue. I'm okay with that so he can enjoy 4 years of in-person band. I hope he decides soon though!

I can’t believe this thread popped up again today. We’re actually on the road right now taking DD back to school. She’s an Advertising major, but was really into the school musicals in middle and high school. Her show was cancelled two weeks before the performance in 2020. She was cast as the lead and was devastated that she didn’t get to perform that show after working so hard on it. Well…fast forward to last semester…they were auditioning for Into the Woods-her favorite musical. She auditioned and even as a non theatre major, was cast as Cinderella. Rehearsals start Monday. They’ll be rehearsing 12-10pm for the first two weeks before anyone else has to be back. (Soccer and football players move in soon.)
The time sure has flown though, hasn’t it?!

I always wonder how these 2020 graduates are holding up. I am praying that they are all resilient and thriving! My DS ended up at the University of Michigan and marches in their band. Housing was a logistical nightmare the first 2 years which I am happy to have behind us! This year he is in a house with band mates adjacent to the practice field.

I know he will be on the 5- year plan because he has NO idea what career he wants to pursue. I'm okay with that so he can enjoy 4 years of in-person band. I hope he decides soon though!
How is his band experience? My HS junior this fall is thinking of making music his major in college-He got involved in the school musical last fall (thank the HEAVENS we had normal school!) in the pit and loved it-like really loved it. He was taking private trombone lessons last year (his tutor from the local state university graduated), and volunteered at the middle school band camp between his own band camps this summer.
We currently have a trombone, baritone, and trumpet in the house so he can march, play in concert band and play in jazz band this year lol! He's not the strongest student if subject doesn't interest him so wondering how intense college band is?

And-I was on the 5 1/2 year plan, hubs was on 6 1/2 year plan (although a couple semesters he was part time in order to pay for school)-plus we both took a semester off to work at Disney lol! Hopefully he can find something he enjoys!!

Our daughter gets back tomorrow after a 10 week biology lab research internship on leukemia in St Louis this summer.

She has loved it and this is what she wants to do after college.

She has thrived in college. So glad! We will have her for just a few days as school starts Aug 22.

Her roommates are great and are moving from a 3 bedroom to a 4 bedroom apartment to add a friend this year. They're close with 3 guys who lived the floor below who also are adding a guy to their apartment this year.

Makes it so much easier to have them find their niche and people while at school.

I know this thread is old. Just curious with those who have kids at UCF, are they staying during Ian? We were trying to get our DD out of Florida but didn’t get airfare and she still has classes all day today. This will be our first hurricane with her there. Anyone have any experience? She has water and food and will remain in the Towers on campus. I feel like I have not heard much from UCF at all, so thought I would reach out. Hope everyone stays safe!

We just moved DD to Florida last week. So far fingers crossed. We offered her to drive out to a hotel. She declined.

My DD evacuated to west palm beach from St Petersburg. They’ve had several tornado warnings throughout the night, but are fine. Very stressful. Hope everyone is ok!

I know this thread is old. Just curious with those who have kids at UCF, are they staying during Ian? We were trying to get our DD out of Florida but didn’t get airfare and she still has classes all day today. This will be our first hurricane with her there. Anyone have any experience? She has water and food and will remain in the Towers on campus. I feel like I have not heard much from UCF at all, so thought I would reach out. Hope everyone stays safe!
nah-2nd kid to go through hurricane (older kid was there during Irma). She lives in Winter park, classes canceled and her work closed thursday. She didn't even lose power.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter