Parents of HS class of 2020

So here we are in second semester of sophomore year. How is everyone doing?

Mine took a pre ACT in December. Unsure when she finds out what her score is. Swimming season is taking up all her spare time, and practicing for science Olympiad. And she joined archery club.

Anyone starting to schedule college visits? Mine isn't sure except she's determined to apply to Air Force Academy -wants to be a pilot. So she says. She excels at math and science but she needs an engineering degree. Looks like another college scouting trip to Colorado may be in the plans (fine by me-I love Colorado)!

Dd's December ACT was postponed to Feb due to ice on the roads. Her score from the spring is good already. But she's just now in a geometry class. We feel she's behind on her math courses, but it's just how her schedule has played out.

Her PSAT score was good. We'd also like her to take the SAT before the real PSAT in October.

No college plans, yet. Though dh and I want her to start picking colleges to visit.
Dd does not want to go to the schools her brothers have gone to. But we shall see.

ACT and SAT exams are not given here until Jr. year, so we still have time. ACT in Feb and SAT in March of junior year. I am currently planning college trips for this summer as we speak. My daughter is an animator/digital artist and wants to go to school in California. We are combining college visits with summer vacation and hitting up Disneyland while we are out there. Have four colleges lined up: Cal Arts- 1st choice, Otis College of Art and Design, Woodbury University and Chapman University (Dodge College).

My daughter doesn't even want to take the ACT or SAT exams because her top 3 schools don't require them. The only school that does is Chapman. We are going to see if she even likes Chapman and then decide if she needs to take the exams or not.

And we are about ready to head into 4th quarter! Spring Break week for us. Then older DD is home on Spring Break next week-but she and I are headed to Disney for a quick trip.

So my middle DD aced her written driving test yesterday and is now a permitted driver:scared1: So not ready for this. She is young for her class-won't turn 16 until fall.

She also got her pre-ACT score-26. Not bad for first attempt.

This year is flying by!

I have a question about regents tests that I am hoping some of the NYers could help out with.

DD is taking Honors Chem this year and is planning on taking the SAT Subj. test (aka SAT II) in Chemistry. Question for any one familiar with these tests. Will preparing for the SAT II, which comes first, help her prepare for the regents? I imagine they would, but because the regents are NY only, there isn't a lot of info on this that I can find. Thanks

Aaaannnnd End of Class tests are upon us, then finals. 25 days til school is over for us. Let the stress begin?

Dd handles stress pretty well so far. She has 2 AP tests coming up this year. Stayed after school the other day for a study session. And they are reviewing in the other class.

She's made her junior year schedule and expects the year to be tough. Jr. Year was the hardest high school year for her 3 brothers. She made the decision not to go out for volleyball (has played varsity the last 2) to keep her self open for studying. She will continue playing high school soccer.

Will get her license soon. But it ocurred to me recently that we need to review different personal safety situations on the road with her than we did her brothers. She's not as worldly aware as they were. Any tips would be appreciated.

Will get her license soon. But it ocurred to me recently that we need to review different personal safety situations on the road with her than we did her brothers. She's not as worldly aware as they were. Any tips would be appreciated.
Isn't this tough? My middle daughter is very trusting.
-Always control your keys-keep in pocket not purse
-keep keys to a minimum (no large chains and charms that can be yanked away)
-walk with keys between fingers and finger on alarm button (if car is equipped- I do this at stores especially at night-the sound will always at least cause an involuntary reaction to look).
Drive with doors locked, especially if older model that doesn't auto lock when driving (my truck doesn't)-this is something my husband just doesn't get! he thinks I am paranoid, I think he doesn't have to assess every situation as a potential victim. Don't drive with passenger side window all the way down. Sad, but safe.

-most important-Trust instincts. Do NOT try to be nice-if situation is such that it could be a danger-better to be called a name and live than nice and not so good outcome. predators count on woman to be "nice".

We have AAA mostly for our daughters (and me). there are more good than bad people out there I believe, but it only takes one with ill intent. We have multiple portable chargers as well, that we keep charged up, so if they go out they know to grab one "just in case", so phone is always charged. We also have the "find friends" app on our phone.

I worry more about my middle DD than my older DD for same reason as you do for your DD than your sons...

I know! I can't believe it. This is the first summer my Dd will have a job, so that should be interesting too.

I'm joining in on the "fun." My oldest dd is 15 and class of 2020. She is the youngest in her grade - a September baby. I can't believe how quickly the first two years of high school went.

I'm joining in on the "fun." My oldest dd is 15 and class of 2020. She is the youngest in her grade - a September baby. I can't believe how quickly the first two years of high school went.
Welcome-my middle is a young one for her grade too.

We have a "Class of 2020" baby as well. So hard to grasp how quickly it's approaching! And our daughter goes to middle school in the fall, so we no longer have an elementary kiddo.

We were so happy when the school year ended on June 1! My son just doesn't like school. It's such a struggle. He is very intelligent, just doesn't do homework or put any effort into it. For most subjects he can just coast through getting As on quizzes and exams bringing overall grades to Bs and Cs. However Spanish and Math are different. He barely passed. After this year he isn't required to take any more Spanish and we put him in the remedial Math for next year. I'm hopeful next year will be better. He's been grounded more often than not. While I feel bad in some ways I also know it's his own fault! Parenting is difficult!

I am proud of his scouting activities. He spent a week at summer camp and came home with 9 merit badges. Kids usually earn 4-5 at camp. So he worked hard. He also helped out with the order of the arrow ceremony and other things. The scoutmaster couldn't stop talking about how impressed he was with my son at camp this year.

He also got a job as a dishwasher and prep cook. His big brother is the cook, and will be leaving for college this fall. So he's training to cook. He's very happy working. He thinks he'd like to work an outdoor job in the future. We are thinking community college or trade schools.

We are having a graduation party for my oldest on Sunday. He will be moving across the country for college in September. We are going to miss him terribly, but I think it's going to be good to get the focus off of him, and give my youngest a chance to come out from his brothers shadow. Oldest has always been a super star kid (will be attending Stanford) and youngest has had self esteem issues. We try so hard not to make a big deal of oldest, but it is so difficult. It's eveveryone in the family and community. Teachers actually make comments to my youngest about his brother. No one purposely wants to make my youngest feel bad, but they just don't realize. He decided a long time ago that if he can't be as good as his big brother then he just isn't going to try at all. Its certainly going to be different with only my youngest at home.

We have a "Class of 2020" baby as well. So hard to grasp how quickly it's approaching! And our daughter goes to middle school in the fall, so we no longer have an elementary kiddo.
Yeah my youngest is moving up to 7th(!) grade! He is my baby.
And middle kid is now the Oldest at home due to big sis likely not going to be home for much from now on. We are all getting used to family of 4 and not 5 for most things.

I am proud of his scouting activities. He spent a week at summer camp and came home with 9 merit badges. Kids usually earn 4-5 at camp. So he worked hard. He also helped out with the order of the arrow ceremony and other things. The scoutmaster couldn't stop talking about how impressed he was with my son at camp this year.
Sounds like this is more his passion! and good work ethic as well it sounds. Hoping he can find his path and have a mentor tuck him under a wing to show him that school is important as well. Trade school may be just the ticket to finding something he enjoys-and that is different from sibling. My middle is as good (or better) student than the oldest-yet the oldest has done everything "first". This last year our travel life has also kinda revolved around oldest as she did a DCP last fall and is currently there for summer. I am hoping to take middle away for long weekend this fall in between band commitments to focus on her only. She often feels the shadow of the oldest...

Will preparing for the SAT II, which comes first, help her prepare for the regents?

Just wanted to share our experience in case it helps some of the other NY families. My daughter focused on preparing for the AP and SAT II subject tests and did very well on the three regents she took this year. The biggest difference (according to her) was between the Math II SAT and the Algebra II regents, but it wasn't a problem. It was fortunate that the scheduling of the tests left a day or two between each regents and she did a couple of practice tests.

I'm working on dd's sweet 16 party. She wants a "rose gold" themed party. We're planning to have Moe's cater the event and spring for a nice two tiered cake. She went to a party earlier this year at a fancy ballroom with a sit down dinner, center pieces and ended with a new Ford Mustang. She got the bug to have a party so we had a discussion on budgets. Even if I had the money I wouldn't do it. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Even if I had the money I wouldn't do it. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Totally agree!
My girls both have birthdays in October and that is middle of band season. So opportunity to celebrate are limited. Middle turns 16 the day after DH and I get back from cruise-trying to find budget to take her on a surprise Bday trip in September (when we have an open spot between band stuff) or right after band ends in October.

DD took some online classes this summer, including a ACT prep course. Band camp starts tomorrow. Can't believe summer is nearly over...

Hi All

I've been lurking for a while. My daughter is in the Class of 2020 so this is her Junior year. She's taking All Honors and AP Courses. PSATs are in about a week and SATs in Dec.

Is anyone else's child having freak outs already? My daughter is upset that one of her Classes is a B. She has straight As in all her Classes so far and has gotten straight As pretty much the last two years. School started less then a month ago and I told her she will be alright. She's just really focused on getting on National Honor Society by the end of the School year.

Did a college fair this month already another one in a few weeks. She plans to Study Psychology it really seems she could practically go anywhere with that major though. I never remember feeling so much pressure heading into college though like she seems to be.

I know it's important year for them all though so I think a lot of times they are putting more pressure on themselves.

Is anyone else's child having freak outs already? My daughter is upset that one of her Classes is a B. She has straight As in all her Classes so far and has gotten straight As pretty much the last two years. School started less then a month ago and I told her she will be alright. She's just really focused on getting on National Honor Society by the end of the School year.
Mine had the freak out last year. Took too much on, along with sports and extracurricular clubs. She was inducted in NHS last year too, and is hoping to be an officer her senior year.
Mine has decided to cut some extra stuff this year-no swim team now. She wants to focus on volunteer stuff and Science Olympiad. She is in marching band (consumes the fall). my DD pushes herself to get all A's as well. My oldest was same way-finally junior year in college that one is ok with not being top in every class.

It really is OK if a class has a B though - getting the kids to recognize that is another battle lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter