Parents of teens with jobs...

enchantedpixiedust

Old Timer
We made the rule that as long as school was out for this it meant she wouldn't be put on the schedule at work. Apparently we're about the only ones with that rule at her job and she's not thrilled. (The new schedule once school break was extended hadn't been made so we didn't leave the store suddenly.)

Did you set limits on working for your high school student? Just curious if we're the only mean ones.

We made the rule that as long as school was out for this it meant she wouldn't be put on the schedule at work. Apparently we're about the only ones with that rule at her job and she's not thrilled. (The new schedule once school break was extended hadn't been made so we didn't leave the store suddenly.)

Did you set limits on working for your high school student? Just curious if we're the only mean ones.
My oldest works for Cracker Barrel and I'm expecting her hours to be cut. Middle child only gets money from reffing soccer games which are cancelled.

Obviously it's up to you, but I'm wondering why you're limiting her. Worried about public interaction?

There are multiple higher risk family members so although she would probably be fine if exposed one of them might not be. It sucks, but thought it was the responsible thing to do. 🤷‍♀️ Right now school is out through the 30th but I'm guessing that will be extended.

My oldest works for Cracker Barrel and I'm expecting her hours to be cut. Middle child only gets money from reffing soccer games which are cancelled.

Obviously it's up to you, but I'm wondering why you're limiting her. Worried about public interaction?

We just said today that she was done working after she finished her shift. We told her to ask them not to put her on the next schedule. It’s just not worth the risk at this point. She is not happy with us at all. She wanted to work a lot since there’s no school.

Our son's work has shut down due to the government's guidance of no people more than 10.

Having said that, we were willing to say no to work if they didnt make that call. Either we all agree to practice social distance or we don't. I don't want my child passing the virus along to someone else simply because the symptons are so mild in my child that they go to work without paying attention to the fact that they are actually sick.

I think it really varies by family to family because each one's situation it different.

Me having a job at 16 and 17 was actually about earning money. If I hadn't worked I wouldn't have had any money to buy my car, or pay my car insurance and I certainly wouldn't have been able to earn any money to go to college.

So 'the responsible thing to do' would have meant for me to work if I could. Given that I was in retail it's more than likely my job would be on the line and I would be fighting to actually have it. That said that would never ever mean to just up and throw caution to the wind.

For some families they are in a position where the job is not needed just having extra cash is nice and that makes it a ton easier to just say "no work". For other families it's needed.

There are situations where being careful with how we look at other people and their individual situations is needed. Those who can practice stricter social distancing make it easier, to a point, on those who can't. That said many of these business don't have the patronage to stay open so people are out jobs. Terrible for all really.

My kids work at a small local cafe. This morning, we told them it was time to stop working. Our family is now isolating at home. Considering absolutely no friends but we'll see.

Then this evening it was announced that restaurants in Ontario can only do delivery and takeout.

At least DD18 is fully occupied studying. Her university has closed from Mon to Wed and is starting online classes on Thursday. Already her French prof told them she is thinking of ending the semester this week with their mid term and a big essay. That may be it for that class. She's not wholely opposed to finishing up French early so she can concentrate on Physics and Calculus.

DD has a very part-time job, just a few hours per week. She went in of Saturday and business was so slow the owner sent all but a couple of people home.

We haven't set any limits, but that's partly because we know she'll limit herself. She's a biomedical research student and is very attuned to epidemiology and workplace safety.

DH and I where going to ‘strongly encourge’ our kids to stop work . Both of them work in restaurants. But within a period of 1 hour both kids where laid off. Government has asked all restaurants to go to a take out/ delivery only mode .

👏 Round of applause to you for encouraging your kids to work!! We did the same, and my DD never loved working through high school, but once she applied to the DCP, they loved that she had a work history!

Right now they are saying that we all should be thinking of this crisis as not “I may get the coronoavirus,” but rather “I have it and what I do and where I go can put others at great risk”. With that in mind, I think we should all be “mean” parents and tell the kids to stay home.

We should all be staying home (unless our jobs are critical, because if we don’t, it is going to get a lot worse and the most vulnerable people in our society could die if we don’t get this under control fast.

Our son's work has shut down due to the government's guidance of no people more than 10.

Having said that, we were willing to say no to work if they didnt make that call. Either we all agree to practice social distance or we don't. I don't want my child passing the virus along to someone else simply because the symptons are so mild in my child that they go to work without paying attention to the fact that they are actually sick.

this is the right attitude!!

You don't say what the kids job is. I think that matters. Especially if it's a grocery store.

Mine are grown now, one in college and one beyond. My college daughter works summers and Christmas break at a local market. They know she's home now with online classes and have asked if she can possibly come in some shifts. She doesn't have the time because she has a couple of professors who have lost perspective in the shift to online who have decided to seriously ramp up the amount of work they are assigning.

She's seen a steady stream of online Snapchats and whatnot of friends she works with at the market. Basically they're all either rants or hysterical sobbing and breaking down about how horribly they're being treated by the customers. Mind you, my daughter is familiar with working this job over several years and through several beyond bonkers Christmas seasons, she gets how nasty customers can be and how it gets you down. She cannot imagine how bad it must be for her friends and coworkers to all be so close to breaking.

Our decision was mostly based if it's not a safe situation to be at school then that nixes anything else optional. Fortunately her job is her "fun money" and not something required for bills so I acknowledge that privilege for sure.

She works for a resale shop focusing on teens/young adults clothing so they buy from customers and resale. As of her last day of work Sunday there still wasn't anything up there for workers or customers as far as hand sanitizer, wipes, etc nor had they added any additional cleaning protocol to the store.

You don't say what the kids job is. I think that matters. Especially if it's a grocery store.

I have two teens that work at McDonalds. They are both allowed to work during their month hiatus from high school. I don't have a problem with it.
Same here, He works at Zoes and they are down to take out only. So he'll be fine.

Mine aren’t teens - both college students home until who knows when. My son’s movie theater closed yesterday at 5pm and my daughter worked only yesterday and now only managers can work. Her store (children’s clothing) will most likely shut down for a while after this week she was told.

My senior works at Burger King and no we haven't put any limits on him working right now. I will say I feel better when he's not, but on the other hand there are tons of ppl. still working and we're no better or more special than them. We've just been really stressing the importance of distance and washing, washing, washing. I may be more hesitant if we had someone in the highest risk category at home, but luckily we do not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter