• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the Class of 2019

Mine is up at orientation too - hiking with some new classmates for the first couple of days, then they have the campus part later in the week, and some stuff for the parents on the day we pick him up.

It’s weird having him away, but I think in the long run it will be easier for me to adjust with the short trip first.

Mine is up at orientation too - hiking with some new classmates for the first couple of days, then they have the campus part later in the week, and some stuff for the parents on the day we pick him up.

It’s weird having him away, but I think in the long run it will be easier for me to adjust with the short trip first.

That sounds neat, he should have lots of opportunity to bond with classmates. DD would have loved a hiking trip! She wanted to find the lake area near her school because as a Recreation major she will be spending time out there but a storm was moving in so we skipped it this time.

DD's summer is in full swing, she's working, and we're heading out this week to LOTO to enjoy a mini-vacation at the lake. She has had a little drama because one of her friends that was going to go on the national parks trip with her had her parents take the trip down to 1 week instead of 2. She had a reservation that she couldn't get a refund for, so DH decided to fly out to Seattle to meet her and finish the last half of her trip. I told her to double confirm that the shortened trip (WY and MT) was good with her friend's parents and that they would be driving back by themselves. They did, all was good, we booked flights to get her from Billings to Seattle and DH from Denver to Seattle, and then this week, that same friend's parents decided that they didn't want her to go at all. Which means that they torpedoed the whole trip for the girls. It wouldn't have been that bad had they done it at the start, or even a month ago when they wanted them to cut it down to 1 week, but to do it at this late date, means that nothing is refundable, not campsites, not the hotel that they had booked, nothing. So, now friend's parents have to reimburse DD and her other friend the $600 they are out so far on the trip. DD changed her flights so now she'll still go to Seattle with DH but they'll only do that part of the trip.

We have our orientation in July, 2 days for DD and 1 day for me, and she'll report over Labor Day weekend. We'll have to go early to get the dorm outfitted before she reports to move it since I'm not driving 3 days to get her out there!

That does stink about the trip! :( I'm glad that the friend's parents are at least going to reimburse the girls for the deposits they're losing (even though that's not the same thing as taking the trip.)

Our orientation is noon Friday through noon Saturday. Parents and kids go for the same amount of time but are apparently separate for most of it. He will schedule on Saturday. Crossing fingers that he gets the classes he wants. (AP credit is making things tricky. He's already checked off most of his gen-ed requirements with AP credit, and that's what they expect most freshmen to take. He really needs a couple of specific classes that are pre-requisite for other classes. If he can't get into those, I'm not sure what he'll do.)

Hello! I’ve been following along quietly and thought I’d share a picture of my kids at their graduation today. I’ve really appreciated reading all your stories and listening to others who are going through similar things with their kids. Thank you all!

Attachments

• ACFB2D29-A394-4FE5-9FC4-12D056BED2BF.jpeg
    ACFB2D29-A394-4FE5-9FC4-12D056BED2BF.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 22
Graduation finished, and now chilling before summer job starts. They will let her off, for some orientation next month.

Then a quick vacation, before DD leaves for college. And my one niece is so happy, as she's an alumni of that university my DD will be attending sstarting in August.

I hope Design's DS gets the classes he wants.

Colorado, what a terrible thing to do to the girls' trip. At least your DD can do some of the trip with DH.

Thanks guys! I am still a bit angry about it, more so than DD honestly. I just can't figure out why they would string them along if there never really was any intention to let them go. It's not like they're 16 and still in high school, they're all going to be away from home in a couple of months.

Ah well. We had our last meeting with the college search adviser yesterday. Just a wrap up to make sure that DD has crossed all her t's and dotted all her i's. The big thing(s) were to make sure she's accepted all financial aid awards, and that she's sent her transcripts and AP scores to her school, so here's my reminder to everyone! Make sure your kiddos have accepted all of their awards and sent final transcripts and test scores!

(and we set up our first appointment for our DS who is starting his junior year next year!)

DS doesn't have orientation until August - they move in on the 21st and then orientation is the 22-25. Parents stay for the day on 8/22 and orientation continues for the students until the 25th. I have no idea when he picks his classes. I'll have to make sure he's reading all of his emails. It's definitely hard (for me, anyway) when all info goes right to the students.

DS doesn't have orientation until August - they move in on the 21st and then orientation is the 22-25. Parents stay for the day on 8/22 and orientation continues for the students until the 25th. I have no idea when he picks his classes. I'll have to make sure he's reading all of his emails. It's definitely hard (for me, anyway) when all info goes right to the students.

Same here - schedules are e-mailed to students ahead of time (sometime in late July, I think) and then any changes that are needed / wanted are done during orientation week.

I was pulling my hair out Sunday night trying to figure out parking on campus. I got the payment receipt after we enrolled for this orientation session, but apparently they emailed my daughter the info on the event (you know, the one I had just paid for), including the link to register our car for parking. She swore she never got anything and I couldn't find what I needed in the other emails I had gotten from school. Turns out they had indeed sent her the link, back in February when we signed up.

Number one recommendation from speakers at orientation was to tell your kids to attend class. Number two was to have them regularly check email. Ugh.

Same here - schedules are e-mailed to students ahead of time (sometime in late July, I think) and then any changes that are needed / wanted are done during orientation week.
Here kids can't enroll in classes at all until they meet with their advisor at orientation. So the earlier you do orientation, the better your shot at having spots open in the classes you want. Thankfully next semester she'll start enrolling with the seniors (as part of the Honors' College).

@ColoradoDisneyFreaks , that really stinks about the trip! It never fails to surprise me that some parents continue to have that much say over their kids' plans when they're adults and getting ready to leave the nest. You'd think at that point, independence would be something to encourage!

We don't have orientation until move-in, Aug. 17 to 19, and we won't even get the schedule for that until the beginning of August. But we leave July 14 for fair and then kick off our out west/college move-in road trip on the 21st, so summer is feeling reeeaaaalllly short this year!

DS' orientation starts move-in day and lasts through that weekend. He has filled out the required medical forms online and a few other things. He will get his schedule in his email the first week of July and can make changes through his advisor if he wants to. His financial statement will be available July 10 and we make the first payment August 2. That will not be my favorite part!

Hello! I’ve been following along quietly and thought I’d share a picture of my kids at their graduation today. I’ve really appreciated reading all your stories and listening to others who are going through similar things with their kids. Thank you all!
What a great looking pair! Congrats to them!

Last night I was perusing all the materials we got at orientation. We got a map of what direction to drive on what streets, where to drop the belongings, and where to park after. Hoping parking isn't a problem since we'll be bringing two vehicles and in the last time slot of the day. They schedule times by last name. She and her roommate have the same last initial so while it may be a little crowded with both families I think it will be nice that they can arrange things together instead of one moving in at 8 am and the other at 3 pm.

Also was reading the schedule for the days between move-in (a Saturday) and classes starting (Wednesday). There are evening activities Monday and Tuesday but not anything during the day, unless there are things not listed. I'm just hoping downtime won't be a problem, I know it kind of was for DD17 at first and I remember just wanting to get into the classes routine when I went. Busier is better when there is chance of homesickness.

Our summer is going fast too. DD was talking about all the plans they have at her job and I'm wondering how much will be actually possible in the time they have. Once August comes, we'll have a week at camp, a week she can work, and then it's move in day already.

Dd finally got a real job as a hostess at a new trendy restaurant. Her graduation party (friends only, about 100) is Saturday. It’s going to be very basic, soda/water, chips, pizza, brownies from 1 - 5. Prom was okay, but she had a blast at the prom house for 3 days. She just got her roommate assignment, a triple. She knew her dorm already, and the triples are pretty big. One lives 25 minutes away, so I’m sure they will get together. She sent me a post from the other who is organizing a group chat, and it could’ve been written by Dd (loves hanging with friends, tea, brunch, late nights, art, concerts, and wants to join the campus Jewish organization- not that Dd wants to join, but she is very involved with our Catholic Church, and is a joiner).

Number one recommendation from speakers at orientation was to tell your kids to attend class. Number two was to have them regularly check email. Ugh.

We can't even get into DS's school e-mail yet! I talked to someone on the phone who thought she fixed it, but it still doesn't work. For now, they're using his "admissions e-mail" - which is the g-mail account he used when applying, but we're hoping to go to the IT table at parents' orientation tomorrow and get it really straightened out.

She just got her roommate assignment, a triple. She knew her dorm already, and the triples are pretty big. One lives 25 minutes away, so I’m sure they will get together. She sent me a post from the other who is organizing a group chat, and it could’ve been written by Dd (loves hanging with friends, tea, brunch, late nights, art, concerts, and wants to join the campus Jewish organization- not that Dd wants to join, but she is very involved with our Catholic Church, and is a joiner).

Hope they get along great! DD felt like that with her initial roommate possibility- that they were pretty much the same person. That girl chose another school, but DD is feeling pretty optimistic about the chats she's had with her roommate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter