Parents of the Class of 2019

We dropped off DS yesterday, stayed longer than we probably should have, but after dinner I gave him a hug, said you'll do great, we'll miss you, and I'll text you when we get home so you know I made it home safe (joke because I always asked him to do that when he drove places). I knew he was crying, I couldn't look at him, and when I glanced up at his dorm room he was waving good bye and I lost it. My DH looked at me and said, "you're raining." I honestly don't cry that much and I didn't realize I had such big, fat tears! I had a light blue shirt on and it looked like raindrops were hitting me!
His roommate arrives on Saturday, so I know that it weighing on his mind yet and he started his campus job today. There is only about four boys on his floor yet. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing?
:grouphug:

The one thing I take solace in is that even if our son was living at home, commuting to school, we'd get about the same responses as we're getting now. In other words, next to nothing. :p Asked him the past couple days how classes have been - the response each time, "They're ok". Thanks for all the info! :thumbsup2 :rotfl: :scratchin
That's how it was with our son. The difference is night and day with our daughter away now.

:grouphug:Oh man, to all of you! I’ll be in your shoes this time next year. I’ve been following along so I could get tips for what to do/expect/how to prepare during this year. I’m already nervous about the whole thing.

Hang in there WorldWacky! You'll make it through.

Got a photo from my son last night. He's not much of a picture taker so that was a big deal. It was a selfie with the University President, his wife (who's a physics professor) and their dog. The dog is somewhat of a campus celebrity. DS was very keen to meet the dog!

Am I the last? We leave tonight for Boston. DD and I will shop for her dorm tomorrow and she moves in on Saturday. She has 3 checked bags and 1 carry-on with all of her stuff. Our stuff is in another carry-on. Thankfully, DH bought the "package" with our flights, so we don't have to pay any more than that for the bags, and we get to sit in an exit row for our 4 hour flight!

We had our "last" family dinner while DD was a full time resident in the house last night, she's going to see DS today after he gets home from school for just a little while to say goodbye, and then we'll all meet at the airport. I'm already getting a bit verklempt, so I anticipate some tears on Saturday!

Am I the last? We leave tonight for Boston. DD and I will shop for her dorm tomorrow and she moves in on Saturday. She has 3 checked bags and 1 carry-on with all of her stuff. Our stuff is in another carry-on. Thankfully, DH bought the "package" with our flights, so we don't have to pay any more than that for the bags, and we get to sit in an exit row for our 4 hour flight!

We had our "last" family dinner while DD was a full time resident in the house last night, she's going to see DS today after he gets home from school for just a little while to say goodbye, and then we'll all meet at the airport. I'm already getting a bit verklempt, so I anticipate some tears on Saturday!
Good luck this weekend! :hug:

Ugh, I have to break some bad news to DD this weekend and I'm not at all sure how she is going to handle it.... One of her rabbits, her show bunny that was the first of the three that she got, passed away last night. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad: He was the sweetest bunny and he turned 7 in Jan., so he was fairly old as rabbits go (life expectancy for his breed is 6-8 years), but still. It is hard having to tell her this when she's so far away. DH thinks we should just wait until Christmas break but I don't trust DD11 not to accidentally say something because she's pretty upset herself.

The only thing that might make it a bit easier is that DD18 knew he wasn't quite "right" before we left. Usually he loves fair week, because he's an attention hog and adores children - he's the only rabbit I ever met that would "give kisses" on command - but this year he wasn't eating, struggled more with the heat in the barn, and seemed less social than usual. She said before she left that even though she plans to continue with 4H (she has 2 more years of age eligibility), he wasn't going back to fair again because it was just too hard on him at his age. So I'm not sure she'll be entirely shocked that he's gone but I know she's going to be so upset to lose him, especially since she's not here to say goodbye.

Ugh, I have to break some bad news to DD this weekend and I'm not at all sure how she is going to handle it.... One of her rabbits, her show bunny that was the first of the three that she got, passed away last night. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad: He was the sweetest bunny and he turned 7 in Jan., so he was fairly old as rabbits go (life expectancy for his breed is 6-8 years), but still. It is hard having to tell her this when she's so far away. DH thinks we should just wait until Christmas break but I don't trust DD11 not to accidentally say something because she's pretty upset herself.

The only thing that might make it a bit easier is that DD18 knew he wasn't quite "right" before we left. Usually he loves fair week, because he's an attention hog and adores children - he's the only rabbit I ever met that would "give kisses" on command - but this year he wasn't eating, struggled more with the heat in the barn, and seemed less social than usual. She said before she left that even though she plans to continue with 4H (she has 2 more years of age eligibility), he wasn't going back to fair again because it was just too hard on him at his age. So I'm not sure she'll be entirely shocked that he's gone but I know she's going to be so upset to lose him, especially since she's not here to say goodbye.
I'm so sorry. :hug: That's rough to have to break bad news just as she's settling in.

Oh, no!! :hug:

Colleen, aww sorry to hear. Losing a pet is hard. But I would tell her now, as hearing it second hand or other night be even harder for her. Hugs.

I think my DD is already totally enjoying dorm life. I will say though, she said she is not fond of much of the food. I already was expecting that. She has always been my picky eater.

Colleen, aww sorry to hear. Losing a pet is hard. But I would tell her now, as hearing it second hand or other night be even harder for her. Hugs.

I think my DD is already totally enjoying dorm life. I will say though, she said she is not fond of much of the food. I already was expecting that. She has always been my picky eater.
I know Colleen will need to make the call that's best for her DD. But I agree with telling her. My parents didn't tell me some stuff that was going on in then family while I was away at school and it really hurt me when I found out later. It made me feel so disconnected.

Aww, Colleen... I'm so sorry. I agree that it'd be best to tell her.

My cat passed away while I was at school. My mom had told me that she had taken her to the vet and they wanted to keep her overnight for observation. She died overnight. I felt terrible about it, but would have felt worse if I didn't know. (I agree... it would make me feel disconnected from the family not to know this important news.)

I also raised rabbits for 4-H (netherland dwarfs and mini lops). I also had a special rabbit who was just different than the rest. I'm really sorry for your daughter's loss. :(

Oh no. I know that will be tough for her, especially as she is just settling in so far from home. Hugs for you and your girls. I also raised rabbits for 4-H/FFA.

No, you are not last. My daughter does not fly out til Sept 17. Move in is Sept 18, orientation starts that evening, and first day of school is Sept. 23.

Well, my son's roommate moved in yesterday. He said he seems "OK". They went to dinner and walked around campus together checking out where their classes were BUT he talks about partying a lot, something my son is not into (and I hope it stays that way - but my head is not in the sand). The roommate said he wants to join a fraternity for "free alcohol" and "partying." I told my DS that the "free alcohol" is not really free. I don't know much about fraternities, but I think they are fairly expensive. I can tell he is not happy, but he doesn't want to tell me. But he is sharing that with his sister...
He did say, "Being an adult is harder than I thought and I'm not even really doing everything yet. I should have given you guys more credit." And I started to cry!!!! Good thing it was a text!!

No, you are not last. My daughter does not fly out til Sept 17. Move in is Sept 18, orientation starts that evening, and first day of school is Sept. 23.

Wow, that is late.

He did say, "Being an adult is harder than I thought and I'm not even really doing everything yet. I should have given you guys more credit." And I started to cry!!!! Good thing it was a text!!

Awwww!!

Aww, McKelly. That is hard, hopefully the roommate is just a talker. Greek life is expensive, even was those many years ago when I was in college. My college was small, and many were Greek, but I saw no need for it, and hoping my DD does too. Not for her.

Lucky, my DD seems to think her roommate is a good fit.

Yep, dorm life is a good life lesson in growing up. Hugs to all the families with kids in college. We have young adults.

Including my DD, who became an adult yesterday. Have to get used to saying I have adult kids, not kid, as in her older brother, who is going on 22. Getting old. 😃

Well, my son's roommate moved in yesterday. He said he seems "OK". They went to dinner and walked around campus together checking out where their classes were BUT he talks about partying a lot, something my son is not into (and I hope it stays that way - but my head is not in the sand). The roommate said he wants to join a fraternity for "free alcohol" and "partying." I told my DS that the "free alcohol" is not really free. I don't know much about fraternities, but I think they are fairly expensive. I can tell he is not happy, but he doesn't want to tell me. But he is sharing that with his sister...
Big hugs. Hopefully he'll find his people soon. Even one good friend can turn the entire experience. Hopefully he'll settle in with a few kids he has things in common with. They're out there. He just has to find them.

My DD has commented on all the parties on campus already. It's crazy. Her roomie has been to a fair number already and come home drunk. A girl she knows who lives down the hall was drunk at 4 in the afternoon. She works the front desk, so she sees a lot of stuff there too. I think so far she's just viewing it all as one big spectator sport. She's laughing at the stupid things people do.

It's funny though. I did just ask her last week where they get the money for all that "free" alcohol. Because it seems to be pretty free flowing right now. I always knew it went on, and expected it at this school, but lately I find myself wondering how that still happens in this day and age. Who buys that much alcohol and gives it to underage students? Seems pretty risky. I'm not naive, I think she'll eventually go to some parties, but she seems to have her head on straight and hopefully won't overdo it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter