Parents of the Class of 2019

So the University put out a statement today. Classes will indeed still be held on campus after Thanksgiving. So they are going to scatter kids to the wind, back to their families, in the midst of the pandemic, then bring them all back together again for 2 weeks of class and exams. What an incredibly bad idea.

So the University put out a statement today. Classes will indeed still be held on campus after Thanksgiving. So they are going to scatter kids to the wind, back to their families, in the midst of the pandemic, then bring them all back together again for 2 weeks of class and exams. What an incredibly bad idea.
That is a terrible idea!

That seems like a terrible plan, especially with the case trends so many states are seeing right now!

DS’s school has been doing really well up to now, but notified parents of three cases yesterday. They have quarantined some students awaiting testing, and hopefully caught it in time.

DS says he hasn’t been near the affected dorm, so he’s not too worried. Fingers crossed their protocol works.

Quick update from son's school today - they've announced that they're allowing students to opt for pass/fail for up to two classes this semester (and next Spring). It's good news for my son as he was really struggling (like mid to low-C range) in his math course and might not have a great grade on one other class as well, so it will help keep his GPA good.

Quick update from son's school today - they've announced that they're allowing students to opt for pass/fail for up to two classes this semester (and next Spring). It's good news for my son as he was really struggling (like mid to low-C range) in his math course and might not have a great grade on one other class as well, so it will help keep his GPA good.
I think my daughter’s school is doing the same, same as last semester. She’s finding online to be easier than in class, dd17 feels both are equal, and ds17 finds online to be harder.

Well, dd and her roommates tested positive for COVID (except for the 2 who already had it). I guess she either got it Halloween weekend or spread it. A bunch of her friends planned on staying with her last weekend, I’m guessing they will be glad they changed their minds (or their parents talked them out of going). I just sent her some vitamins.

Well, dd and her roommates tested positive for COVID (except for the 2 who already had it). I guess she either got it Halloween weekend or spread it. A bunch of her friends planned on staying with her last weekend, I’m guessing they will be glad they changed their minds (or their parents talked them out of going). I just sent her some vitamins.
Oh no, how is she feeling? I hope it is mild with no lasting effects. What does this mean for Thanksgiving, will she be able to come home (or be isolated somewhere?)

Oh no, how is she feeling? I hope it is mild with no lasting effects. What does this mean for Thanksgiving, will she be able to come home (or be isolated somewhere?)
She said her run was really hard this morning. She’s actually glad it’s now, she is cleared in 10 days. Many of her friends are going to start to quarantine anyway so they don’t get it close to thanksgiving. Luckily she just went grocery shopping yesterday. She’s really into fitness and nutrition so fingers crossed.

I'm sorry that your daughter is sick. I hope she recovers well and quickly.

DS's school sent something just before Halloween suggesting that if you catch something at Halloween it's possible you'll end up quarantined for Thanksgiving (and not be allowed to go home.) DS got called for his third "random" covid test yesterday and is still awaiting the results for that. In good news, he's doing well in his classes and has had 2 phone interviews for summer internships. He's already got a second interview with one of them, and the other said to expect to hear back but probably not for a couple of weeks.

Son got tested this week as well - the wastewater sample testing the school is doing came back with indications that their apartment complex could have positive cases. Fortunately, his test came back negative. His 5 roommates were negative as well. :)

The school has had what they consider a mini outbreak, but they're still only at 40 positive students all semester. It's just that more than half have been in the last two weeks.

Just a couple more weeks to go - and then he'll be home for 2 months or so. My mom will give him a rapid test on his way home from school as well, just to try to ensure that he's not bringing anything home to us.

Son got tested this week as well - the wastewater sample testing the school is doing came back with indications that their apartment complex could have positive cases. Fortunately, his test came back negative. His 5 roommates were negative as well. :)

The school has had what they consider a mini outbreak, but they're still only at 40 positive students all semester. It's just that more than half have been in the last two weeks.

Just a couple more weeks to go - and then he'll be home for 2 months or so. My mom will give him a rapid test on his way home from school as well, just to try to ensure that he's not bringing anything home to us.
The college only has 1200 on campus (over 20,000 students total), but there are probably over 10,000 off campus, 75 new cases yesterday (and only those who test on campus are counted, my daughter and her roommates tested at an urgent care).

My DS has been tested 3 or 4 times now. He has a job on campus for a few hours a week, lives off campus and all his classes are online. I think to be on campus you need to get tested once a month or something. They just moved to all online after Thanksgiving and if you go home you can’t come back. Which doesn’t really affect him since he doesn‘t live on campus and his job is pandemic-related so that won’t be happening after Thanksgiving anyway until next semester. He’s some kind of ambassador, sits in an academic building lobby with masks in case people need them, is supposed to report noncompliance etc. They’re offering testing the week before Thanksgiving and he said he’ll get one. None of us have really been many places, so I think it’ll be fine. I hope. So much stress in the world right now.

I go pick up my son this afternoon. Today is his last day of classes. Finals will be online from home after Thanksgiving. His school has a "winter term" where you can take a compressed class, but my son is not taking any so he'll be home till late January.

His school has been doing robust "surveillance testing" for COVID but was not offering voluntary before-you-leave-for-home testing. However, as luck would have it, he got called for the surveillance testing yesterday. He was not thrilled -- it's his 4th time being pulled, while his roommate has only been pulled once -- but I think it was kind of lucky. Unfortunately, I doubt he'll have his results by the time I pick him up, but hopefully it'll be negative anyway.

He also scheduled for next semester in the last week. He was closed out of a couple of classes he'd planned to schedule (first time that's happened) but was able to get other classes that will still move him forward on his degree path. He's just swapping around which things he'll take when. Last semester, all of his classes except one switched to online. This time he's got 1 fully in-person, 2 hybrid, and 3 online. The school has said they will do their best to deliver according to the method in the course catalog. However, with cases doing what they are, I'm not sure what to expect, but I am hoping for the best.

DD is done tomorrow and will come home Saturday morning.

Sometime last week the local County Health Department put out a statement about spiking cases and stress on the hospital system. Which angered me greatly since at the time they were still saying kids were coming back for in person class after Thanksgiving. I guess they read my mind, since a couple hours later a letter went out saying everything would be online after Thanksgiving. Duh. I wanted as much in person as possible, but even I knew going back for 3 weeks wasn't enough payoff for coming back after a week long break.

We passed on making her test this time. She's crazy busy this week. 3 exams with 2 of them tomorrow. We were bringing her home regardless, and don't plan on seeing any other family over the holiday. She lives off campus and is very careful. She has had no symptoms and monitors her temperature.

I think DD will come home Tuesday. We'll have her till Sunday, then she moves in with her sister to work with her over break. Finals will be second week of December on line.

Saturday she got a call from the hotel she applied at weeks ago, to see if she would work over break. She's already agreed to work at her sister's office, but the hotel was still interested in having her after break. So I think that's good news. I'm a little worried about her having to deal with any unhappy customers at front desk, but maybe that won't be a big issue.

Registration was done a while ago, not sure how much is in person but I think most of it, for now. I did talk her out of doing 18 credits, there is no need for her to cram more in.

My daughter’s boyfriend will be bringing her home tomorrow night and he will spend the night. Unfortunately Dd17 tested positive on Tuesday (and spent 3 hours in a car with ds17 watching a soccer game - he ha$ tested negative). Since dd and her boyfriend had covid, they’re fine, but now dd24 and ds22 won’t be coming for thanksgiving 😭.

She was freaking out because she is planning on graduating a year early and needs a certain amount of shadowing hours for grad school, and no one is letting in outside people (hospitals, schools,PT centers), plus she missed 8 hours at her center due to covid. I had her call my uncle who retired from his position of president at a NYC hospital to see if he had any ins, turns out he knows someone in power at a NJ hospital 30 minutes from here who’d love to have her, which means she will winter with us until February. She’s also taking a class and will look for babysitting/tutoring opportunities.

Our son is planning on driving home either Monday afternoon after classes or Tuesday morning after his last online class. I'm not sure if he's decided yet. My mom is going to give him a rapid test on his way home - their house is about halfway between school and home so it's a good stopping point anyways. He's had 4 or 5 tests so far this year, all negative, but we figure it can't hurt to have one more. We'll probably still keep him a distance from my MIL, who is likely to be the only one coming over for Thanksgiving this year.

I see a schedule for next semester online, but I don't know if the modality of the classes is finalized yet. I hope not, because it's showing all online courses except for his engineering lab. Hopefully he doesn't have to go through another semester of all online classes. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter