• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents of the Class of 2019

Our son is planning on driving home either Monday afternoon after classes or Tuesday morning after his last online class. I'm not sure if he's decided yet. My mom is going to give him a rapid test on his way home - their house is about halfway between school and home so it's a good stopping point anyways. He's had 4 or 5 tests so far this year, all negative, but we figure it can't hurt to have one more. We'll probably still keep him a distance from my MIL, who is likely to be the only one coming over for Thanksgiving this year.

I see a schedule for next semester online, but I don't know if the modality of the classes is finalized yet. I hope not, because it's showing all online courses except for his engineering lab. Hopefully he doesn't have to go through another semester of all online classes. :(
My daughter is all online in the spring.

How is spring registration going for everyone?

DD had an awful time getting her schedule set and for a change it wasn't uniquely her problem! I think her university must be having serious staffing issues through this whole covid mess. :( They're offering fewer sessions of two required courses that all bio majors have to take specifically in their fourth semester, so she waitlisted and then they raised the cap but she was in class and missed it so ended up still on the waitlist and eventually emailed one of the profs to get an exception to the cap. I'm not sure if she's gotten the other resolved yet or not. And she had to get special permission to take a fourth-year course in her Japanese major because her language prof gave the majors in her class a head's up that the only prof who teaches Japanese linguistics is retiring and the feeling within the department is that it might take a year or more to hire a replacement. So they offered the special permission option to any Japanese major who has completed at least 2 years of the language (the class is usually taken concurrent with 400-level language, either fall or spring); DD just barely qualifies because she placed out of the intro-level course last year, so she's finishing her second year of language now and will start 300-level in the spring. And because of that whole thing, she passed on an invitation-only multidisciplinary seminar she was invited to take, both because of scheduling conflicts and because she doesn't want to take on 20 credits, fully remote, with a senior class and two labs. It is going to be an interesting semester to say the least.

DS still working from the basement. Grades are all over the place.
Today I called his dorm and asked about contracting for 2021 August year-since that usually comes out first six weeks of school. They shared yep been open. I shared he is at home and received no email. They happily sent a link. They was only one room left that has 3 guys in it; giving each guy there own bedroom. He signed up for that.

It reallly is still killing me paying room and board and either kids is there.

He really prefers to live there, DD was there 3 years.

We all shall see. Stay safe.

DS registers today for the spring, hopefully he'll get whatever he wants/needs. I don't remember if I told you he's taking a winter class too. It's his "lab science" but it's anthropology and all online. I have no idea what his grades are like, have not asked him for a while. Probably will over Thanksgiving.

He got tested last week (negative) and is coming home tomorrow for Thanksgiving (just the four of us this year, I'm depressed about it, it's my favorite holiday). He plans on going back to his off-campus house afterward, even though his classes are all online and residential students have been told they can't come back if they go home. Then he wants to come home for his birthday in December before finals are over (again, all online) so hopefully the coming and going will be fine. I think he needs to test again after Thanksgiving. Sounds like all his housemates are staying close to home and only going out for grocery shopping, but they are all going home this week. Most of them live in the same general area as we do, which doesn't have an alarmingly high positive rate, although it's rising. I hate feeling stressed out about this but if we can just get to Christmas break healthy, that'll be a start.

And off topic for in here but the class of 2021 thread seems to be barely alive...but my DS17 has gotten into two of the five schools he applied to! We're still waiting on the others. He's pretty happy with himself. One school gave him a very sizable scholarship too.

Son is heading home tomorrow morning. He has classes until late this afternoon, then is planning on packing most of his stuff in his car tonight so he can roll out of bed and head on the road. He has one class tomorrow at like 5pm, so his goal is to be home before 4. My mom is going to give him a rapid test on his way by their house, but he's basically quarantined most of last week as him and his roommates all had a sinus infection that got passed along the apartment. The first kid to get it did go off-campus to the quarantine location the college set up while waiting for his COVID test result (negative), so he's pretty comfortable that it truly was just sinuses. Either way, he stayed in the apartment for pretty much the whole week.

Finals for him start Dec. 3rd and finish the 7th or 8th.

DD is off on her Thanksgiving adventure. Our aunt that lives near her picked her up in their RV on Friday, and they're spending a few days seeing the redwoods at Avenue of the Giants - DD, aunt & uncle, and their 4 grandkids - before heading up to their lake house in Tahoe for the holiday. Technically she's got a couple weeks left in the semester after Thanksgiving but her big semester projects were all due this past week so the workload will be lighter for the last bit of the term, and then she flies home on the 15th.

DD received her housing assignment for Winter Quarter and picked a time/day move in slot. This is further than Stanford got for Autumn Quarter, so feeling hopeful for her and the rest of the Freshmen and Sophomores to get to go back to campus. Move-in day is Jan 4th, classes start Jan 11th. I have enjoyed having her home, but I know back on campus is where she needs to be. It was so nice to hear the excited chatter between my DD and her “pod” members when they got their housing assignment.

DD is enjoying working with her sister over break. It's supposed to be afternoons but I know she worked a full day today so yay, more money.

I think finals are done. The first one her sister's wifi apparently wasn't working so she had to hotspot from her phone. And this is why we don't downgrade our cell plan...

This week she learned that she got her full education award from Americorps so that's awesome. She didn't enjoy the job most days but the money was worth it and now that she has $3000 scholarship too she looks back on it even more fondly :p

Finals are next week, Dd17 will drive down next Saturday and stay over, and they
will drive home on Sunday. She just registered for the GRE’s in February, still on track to graduate in 2022. The shadowing opportunity she has in the hospital might turn out to be a paid opportunity, which would be great. Her winter course meets virtually at noon everyday, which is not ideal, but it’s free, saving $4200.

DS is officially done for the semester! He had his last final today, and said it wasn't too bad but he is relieved to be finished.
It's been a stressful semester for everyone. I hope he and all our students can unwind and enjoy the down time.

My DD had her Physics final yesterday and feels good about it. Additional finals next week on Monday and Thursday. She's definitely ready for the mental break.

Son's last final was this past Monday - he's been working on finishing up his resume and begin applying for his first co-op for the fall 2021 semester. They estimated the typical student needs to apply to 150-200 co-op openings in order to land one, so he should be busy this winter break. He tried finding something seasonal to work at during the break, but few places are hiring right now, since most of the usual seasonal jobs are being done (rightfully so) by those unemployed during the pandemic.

Yep, two more finals to go, and her Junior year will start in the Spring. Nice to have a longer break now, given no Spring Break.

Spring will be virtual, and while she really enjoyed dorm life, I don’t see her wanting to go back any time soon, given the news just had a girl from her City school, that said she is very sick from the virus that she contracted from her roommate. Even this Spring, no reason to be on campus.

I hope all the students and families have very happy holidays.

DS turns 20 today! He got tested earlier this week and is coming home for the weekend. He's got mostly papers and projects, and his only actual exam is the very last day of finals, just a few days before Christmas. I know he is just ready to be done for a while, although he is taking a January class too. Spring semester will be like this one, 75% of classes online. He doesn't know if he'll have any in person yet; this semester he did not.

In case I don't "talk" to you again soon, happy holidays!

DS turns 20 today! He got tested earlier this week and is coming home for the weekend. He's got mostly papers and projects, and his only actual exam is the very last day of finals, just a few days before Christmas. I know he is just ready to be done for a while, although he is taking a January class too. Spring semester will be like this one, 75% of classes online. He doesn't know if he'll have any in person yet; this semester he did not.

In case I don't "talk" to you again soon, happy holidays!
Happy birthday and Happy Holidays!

Happy birthday to Eureka's son, and happy end of semester to everyone.

My son finished up his last final on Tuesday. Grades in all but one class are finalized (and he's pretty sure he'll have an A in the one outstanding class.) He's sure he made Dean's List, but he thinks he's missed President's list by 0.02%. (President's list goes to the top 3% of students per semester. They publish a number, based on the average of what it took to get the award over the last 6 semesters. He's 0.02% below that average... but I guess we'll have to see what things look like this semester. It seems like everyone you talk to, their kids are getting great grades or horrible grades with this much online school. It seems like there's no in-between. The threshold might not be anywhere close to the average this semester -- I just don't know which way it would swing.)

He starts back at his hometown grocery store job on Sunday and they've got him down for 32 hours next week (possibly more if someone calls off).

He and his anticipated roommates met in their college town Wednesday to look at potential apartments for next year. They think they've decided what they want, and it's in a pretty big complex so there's still a decent amount of availability. One of the dads is a lawyer and offered to look at the lease before our boys sign, so we're waiting for him to do that. (I'd like to read it myself, too, but I don't have much contract-reading experience, so I'm glad someone else offered to do it.)

He just left to go to a second interview for a potential summer internship. He did a first interview via phone last week, and they asked if he could come in (it's in our hometown, and it's in the job-focus area that he's most interested in, so it could be a really good experience. The bad news is that he's not sure it's a paid internship... which I'm not thrilled about, but judging from what I'm hearing on the college parent-board, it sounds like internships are particularly hard to come by right now, so having something might be better than nothing. So I guess we'll see. He said he's going to try to work as many hours at the grocery store as possible over winter break -- which lasts till late January for him -- to build up his savings, just in case.)

Next semester, he's supposed to have 1 in-person class, 2 hybrid classes, and 3 online classes. Hopefully those delivery methods "stick."

Last edited:
He just left to go to a second interview for a potential summer internship. He did a first interview via phone last week, and they asked if he could come in (it's in our hometown, and it's in the job-focus area that he's most interested in, so it could be a really good experience. The bad news is that he's not sure it's a paid internship... which I'm not thrilled about, but judging from what I'm hearing on the college parent-board, it sounds like internships are particularly hard to come by right now, so having something might be better than nothing. So I guess we'll see. He said he's going to try to work as many hours at the grocery store as possible over winter break -- which lasts till late January for him -- to build up his savings, just in case.)

Good luck on the interview/internship process! DD needs to have Field Experience next summer- and she needs to get paid :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter