Parents of the Class of 2019

Today after school is the annual 'Turkey Bowl', which is a flag football game between Seniors and the Faculty. My son, the anti-participation kid, asked last year if we can forego our usual week of Thanksgiving trip so he can stay and play. He just texted me - apparently, the Seniors somehow won, which apparently doesn't happen most years. :)

We just got asked to help out with After Prom committees, after which I asked my son if he could go to it if he wasn't going to the Prom itself. Not sure if he can, but maybe he will actually consider going to Prom just so he can go to After Prom. ;)

Congratulations, PollyannaMom!

My DS turned 18 today! I'm not really sure how we got to this point, I remember the day that he was born like it was yesterday. We did the family party at the ILs this afternoon and watched the Ohio State game, and he invited 3 friends over and they are playing Xbox and PS4 probably until sometime very early tomorrow morning.

My daughter didn't get a large envelope, but did get a small one in the mail Saturday that she was pretty excited about. It confirmed that her last ACT qualified her for Bright Flight at Mizzou. Between that and the bump in the automatic scholarship, that last single point increased her scholarship by $5K/year. She now has most of the tuition covered.

My fickle "don't shop more than 2 weeks before Christmas" daughter appears to be very settled on the single school she applied to! Tables are turned. Now I keep trying to convince her to apply at some other schools, maybe a smaller one for comparison, but she's holding firm.

That is excellent!!
Thanks! She knew the one point would get her $2K more per year, and was stressed out enough that she needed that last point for $8K (over 4 years). It's probably better that she didn't realize going into it that it was $20K instead! She actually burned one of her ACT books in the fireplace this weekend. She probably enjoyed that just a bit too much. ;)

DS got his first two "big envelopes" today!!!!! :hyper: :hyper:

Congrats! Our son got his first two envelopes today as well - both from the schools he previously got e-mail acceptances from, but the first one (the safety school) also came with the scholarship dollars as well. It's unlikely he's going to that school, which is a bummer (for us) because after the scholarship, it would cost us less in tuition than high school right now (not counting room and board). :p

My daughter didn't get a large envelope, but did get a small one in the mail Saturday that she was pretty excited about. It confirmed that her last ACT qualified her for Bright Flight at Mizzou. Between that and the bump in the automatic scholarship, that last single point increased her scholarship by $5K/year. She now has most of the tuition covered.

My fickle "don't shop more than 2 weeks before Christmas" daughter appears to be very settled on the single school she applied to! Tables are turned. Now I keep trying to convince her to apply at some other schools, maybe a smaller one for comparison, but she's holding firm.

That's awesome! I say enjoy having the decision made! DD has made and unmade and remade the decision to go to NWMSU. As of Thanksgiving Day, says she is going there. This time she seems more positive :scratchin Anyway for now it's nice to talk about it freely and make plans/focus on checklist and scholarships for just one school. She filled out the app for their foundation scholarships on Friday. Now she's excited to decorate her dorm and anxious to look for roommate(s) but that won't open up until January or February.

She just made it into the top category for auto merit but can interview for competitive to cover most tuition in February. That would be so so nice but being on the low end of qualifying ACT I don't know what her chances are. Admissions rep told us last year approx. 1 in 14 received competitive merit. Worth a try! She will also do a theatre scholarship audition the same day.

Congratulations, PollyannaMom!

My DS turned 18 today! I'm not really sure how we got to this point, I remember the day that he was born like it was yesterday. We did the family party at the ILs this afternoon and watched the Ohio State game, and he invited 3 friends over and they are playing Xbox and PS4 probably until sometime very early tomorrow morning.
I know, how does it go that fast? Mine is turning 18 in a couple weeks and it doesn’t seem real. He just wants to go to a movie and dinner with us the weekend before, which I love because next year he will probably have finals on his birthday.

That's awesome! I say enjoy having the decision made! DD has made and unmade and remade the decision to go to NWMSU. As of Thanksgiving Day, says she is going there. This time she seems more positive :scratchin Anyway for now it's nice to talk about it freely and make plans/focus on checklist and scholarships for just one school. She filled out the app for their foundation scholarships on Friday. Now she's excited to decorate her dorm and anxious to look for roommate(s) but that won't open up until January or February.

She just made it into the top category for auto merit but can interview for competitive to cover most tuition in February. That would be so so nice but being on the low end of qualifying ACT I don't know what her chances are. Admissions rep told us last year approx. 1 in 14 received competitive merit. Worth a try! She will also do a theatre scholarship audition the same day.
See, that's what I'm afraid of..... that she'll get close to the deadlines for other schools and start to second guess. I suppose I should just cross my fingers and wait.

Good luck to your DD with the competitive merit and theater audition!

DS is finishing a second essay to have the opportunity to receive additional scholarship for that school and he was accepted to honor program there if he is interested. He would need to go for interviews.

Today he received letter he is a state scholar. That letter arrives after applications have been turned in for college, I think his first choice school sees the acknowledgment. I think they saw it for DD after she had received it.

18 days till first choice school sends out first wave of acceptances.

Senior year is flying. Next Wednesday he has a math final early because the AP calc class starts immediately after; I would think that would help during finals week. He was grumpy his egg broke immediately for physics class but his bridge project survived a couple of crushing rounds ~ yeah. Improv play was last week. Show choir has started and scholastic bowl has started. Thankful we have a car for him to use for transportation. His English class voted to work on the final paper now and finish it over the winter break.

So, I had a little bit of a panic attack last night. I filled out the FAFSA in October, but I didn't submit it. DH and I had talked about visiting our financial planner to make sure we shouldn't make any changes that would affect this year's FAFSA (have no clue what they might be, but...) Anyway, what with one thing and another, that didn't happen. Two of DS's schools have a "priority deadline" for filing the FAFSA of 12/1, so I wanted to get it in... even though I will be really surprised if he qualifies for any need-based aid at all.

Anyway, I logged into the FAFSA and it didn't ask me for my "save key" even though I'd been in and out of it several times. The only option was to start a new FAFSA. I even got an e-mail from the Department of Education reminding me to submit my in-progress FAFSA form... so I know they HAD it. I got online with their live chat help... and they looked him up by his social security number and birth date and they said "nope. Nothing in the system for him." They have no idea what happened and all they could say was "sorry for the inconvenience. You'll need to start a new one." I'm not sure if they expire if you don't submit them within a certain amount of time or what, but it's gone!

In good news, it was easier the second time through but ... UGH! This time, I submitted it immediately.

Is anybody buying college stuff for Christmas? Looking back, DD20's senior year Christmas list was a lot of college stuff- but she knew she would be in apartment style living and need a shower curtain, decor, chair, kitchen stuff, etc. Other than an XL twin bedding set, I'm drawing a blank on what DD17 can use in a more typical dorm setting. We already have a big watercolor map tapestry for the wall, and she put some fairy lights on her list.

Is anybody buying college stuff for Christmas? Looking back, DD20's senior year Christmas list was a lot of college stuff- but she knew she would be in apartment style living and need a shower curtain, decor, chair, kitchen stuff, etc. Other than an XL twin bedding set, I'm drawing a blank on what DD17 can use in a more typical dorm setting. We already have a big watercolor map tapestry for the wall, and she put some fairy lights on her list.

Not really - not exactly sure what he'll need. We bought him a pair of really good noise cancelling wireless headphones, figuring he'll want something like that for studying, but nothing specific for college yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter