Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

We are still going through the motions for two weeks yet. This week is finals and prom is Friday. Monday is Senior skip day if you don't have makeup work to do. Tues-Thursday is graduation rehearsal and yearbook signing day. Then next Friday is the ceremony. It seems so unreal.

Thanks! We used every bed and couch in my house plus a hotel room and one other relative's apartment. Everyone had a place to sleep and it was a crazy, chaotic, fun-filled three days. We just took the last guest to the airport and now I plan to sleep for a full 24 hours!

We had BBQ catered for yesterday's party and I'm so glad we did! I was so busy hosting and visiting with 20 family members there's no way I could have cooked for that crowd. I hit up Sam's for pastries and fruit and cheese trays, etc. and served a nice "deluxe continental" brunch this morning to our guests who stayed with us. It was pretty easy, more than I expected it to be.

On graduation day, we had booked a party room at a local mexican restaurant. It was a combo party with my son's best friend. We had an appetizer buffet which was the perfect amount of food for our guests since the party didn't start until 9pm. Most had eaten a light supper before graduation. We had appetizers for 40 guests and it seemed like just the right amount of food with a full sized sheet cake for dessert.

I didn't mention in my last post that I think I momentarily "blacked out" during the graduation. I heard my son's first name called and then it felt like I was in this hazy bubble until the next person was called. SO weird. All that anticipation culminating in that one moment was more than my brain could handle apparently.

I don't have that many coming, thank goodness! And my mom just e-mailed asking for hotels in the area, so that will make things easier.

They all go to graduation? I would be so stressed having that many people going to my daughters graduation- if it rains we get TWO tickets- what would I do with all those other people staying at my house if it rained LOL.
They all went! The school gave each family 13 tickets and then I negotiated extras from other families who had extras. I come from a massive immediate family, so this number didn't even include all of my siblings.

Moms like that are the reason we have mean girls but they do not see themselves.:headache:

This is so completely accurate.

Congrats on everyone that is DONE with Senior year!!!! We got through the graduation, the party, and now DS is back from his Senior Week at the beach. The 3rd grader has 4 days of school left, and hopefully life is a little less crazy for just a few short months. Looking forward to a family vacation (4 generations) to the mountains at the end of July before the craziness of getting now TWO kids moved into college.

Congratulations to everyone who graduated this weekend!

My DD has 2 more finals and she graduates in Friday. I am helping plan a big party for 6 grads :scared: this Saturday. Goofing off on the DIS seems much more productive ;).

My DD finally tried on her cap and gown. I've been asking so theres no issues of it not fitting. She's 5ft and I was nervous if it would be to big. Plus I've been asking so I could take it to get dry cleaned/pressed. I pick it up tomorrow.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to pay for her housing and meal plan. I offered to pay for it. There's a 2.5% charge if I use my credit card, a check can be mailed in, DD can pay it in person but she would have to go to two different building and in two different areas or I can pay with an e-check. I wish I could just put it in her account and her pay it that way but nope, Only the options I mentioned.

My question is whats and e-check? is it easy to use? I have BofA and use bill pay...is that the same thing? How do I do it?

My DD has a saving account with an ATM at a credit union. She's had it since 13. She leaves for college in August and they don't have her credit union out there. I know BofA is popular and everywhere but campus has a well Fargo bank on campus. Would it be easy to transfer money from my BofA acct to her Wells Fargo?

We are trying to figure out which bank we should open up a new acct for her. We also were talking about her getting a credit card to build up her credit. She's good with money so not worried about her going nuts. I was going to add her to one of mine. When I was 18 I opened up a secure credit card. I put $250 in an acct and my credit limit was $250 for 6 months but that was 27 years ago. She doesn't have a job so secure card might be the way to go

What are your kids doing to prepare for college with bank accounts and credit cards?

My DD finally tried on her cap and gown. I've been asking so theres no issues of it not fitting. She's 5ft and I was nervous if it would be to big. Plus I've been asking so I could take it to get dry cleaned/pressed. I pick it up tomorrow.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to pay for her housing and meal plan. I offered to pay for it. There's a 2.5% charge if I use my credit card, a check can be mailed in, DD can pay it in person but she would have to go to two different building and in two different areas or I can pay with an e-check. I wish I could just put it in her account and her pay it that way but nope, Only the options I mentioned.

My question is whats and e-check? is it easy to use? I have BofA and use bill pay...is that the same thing? How do I do it?

My DD has a saving account with an ATM at a credit union. She's had it since 13. She leaves for college in August and they don't have her credit union out there. I know BofA is popular and everywhere but campus has a well Fargo bank on campus. Would it be easy to transfer money from my BofA acct to her Wells Fargo?

We are trying to figure out which bank we should open up a new acct for her. We also were talking about her getting a credit card to build up her credit. She's good with money so not worried about her going nuts. I was going to add her to one of mine. When I was 18 I opened up a secure credit card. I put $250 in an acct and my credit limit was $250 for 6 months but that was 27 years ago. She doesn't have a job so secure card might be the way to go

What are your kids doing to prepare for college with bank accounts and credit cards?
I pay all my kids college expenses with e checks. You just log on to the college's secure payment site, enter your name, your bank name, routing number, account number and the amount. Hit send and it's done! It comes out just as if you swiped your debit card. So far, two years, two colleges and no issues.

An e-check is how I pay my DDs schooling expenses, because her school also charges the credit card fee. It's just an automatic transfer from your checking account- quick and easy.

We all bank at the same credit union and there are not branches near either of my children's campuses, but it seems to be working out for DD ok so far. We did just run into a slight issue with DD because her card was compromised due to the recent Chipotle breach, and they shut her card off immediately without contacting her through any sort of email or digital media. She is in NYC for the summer, and really could not deal with waiting 10 days for a new card, so they turned her card back on when she called. I did get a Disney Visa card with her name on it linked to my account just this past semester so she has it when things like this come up if she needs money immediately. Now for DS- I haven't even thought about this stuff yet, but he is going to a state school that is less than 2 hours from home, so I don't have as much concern.

I pay all my kids college expenses with e checks. You just log on to the college's secure payment site, enter your name, your bank name, routing number, account number and the amount. Hit send and it's done! It comes out just as if you swiped your debit card. So far, two years, two colleges and no issues.
Sounds easy enough-lol! I can't believe I've never done an e-check. Will there be a space to enter my DD's info or acct#

Sounds easy enough-lol! I can't believe I've never done an e-check. Will there be a space to enter my DD's info or acct#

I'm sure they've got it set up so they will know how to apply your payment.

DD has a savings account and we're planning to open a checking account tomorrow with her graduation money. Then also get signed up to access it online so she can move money from savings to checking if needed. We'll get an ATM card but our bank is a small local one so I expect she'll have fees if she uses it up there.

She tried for the Capital One Journey student card, but she was declined for no credit history. Well, I thought that's what this particular card was for! So I just got her one attached to DH's card. I'm not sure if that builds credit or not, but at least she can make purchases and sign for herself. She's been using our cards for gas, but you don't have to sign at the pump. She got an offer from Discover that I'm debating on having her try to get.

We figured yesterday that probably all of the grad money had arrived, so we did a final count and she took a pic of her stash :) I found it satisfying that she had the same number of $20s as $10s and as $5s but I'm odd like that!

She has an orientation day at school on the 23rd so we've been saving up our questions in a list. Will tour the apartments again and take a good look at window size, etc. After orientation we're supposed to stop by my aunt's apartment. She is a hoarder and keeps a closet for the college and newlywed nieces and nephews to "shop" from. My mom encourages everyone to take more than they want just to get the stuff out!

Yesterday a potential roommate messaged DD and they've talked a little. She seems fine, just didn't have anything in her profile to make DD take notice of her good, bad, or otherwise. She's had the same issue of girls not responding to her requests. I'm thinking DD should go ahead and match with her since she at least takes initiative and seems nice enough. If they match up, they'll still have to get two more in with them. I'll be glad when this is all settled.

DS18 has known for 2 years that he will need to provide his own spending money once he goes to school in the fall. We drop him off in 10 weeks. He has not bothered to get a summer job.:confused3

He has a little money in a savings account and some graduation money. I'm wondering how long that will last. Oh well, its time he grows up so I 'm sticking to the original plan. He'll have a meal plan so he won't starve but not much for extras. Maybe a few hours at a campus job??

I'm curious how everyone else is handling spending money???

Last edited:
DS18 has known for 2 years that he will need to provide his own spending money once he goes to school in the fall. We drop him off in 10 weeks. He has not bothered to get a summer job.:confused3

He has a little money in a savings account and some graduation money. I'm wondering how long that will last. Oh well, its time he grows up so I 'm sticking to the original plan. He'll have a meal plan so he won't starve but not much for extras. Maybe a few hours at a campus job??

Oldest DS worked on campus in college and then he refereed soccer on the weekends, still does. He also took a part time job off campus.

DS #2 refereed soccer from age 12 to end of high school. He had a summer job after junior year, but has not worked these last 3 summers. Just helping his grandfather who pays him--lots of yard work and carpentry projects around his house. We were pushing for him to get a summer job last year, but then DS had an emergency appendectomy-old fashioned kind, not laproscopically and his recovery took the rest of the summer.

This summer, he is still helping his grandfather and now studying for the Pharmacy School entrance exam later this summer. His program is a bit more intense than oldest DS-pharmacy and he has to maintain a 3.5 gpa to keep scholarships and a seat in his program. So we are not harping on him for the job, but he's still living on his savings. He's also working to get a Pharmacy Tech license and once he has that, hopes to work in a retail store Pharmacy on breaks. He's moving into an off campus apartment this year, thinks his scholarships will cover his expenses with some left--hope so, we'll see. We do worry a little about his finances, but when he hits rock bottom, he'll figure it out . But he also does not have the social life that oldest DS did. DS often went out, was in a fraternity, had a girlfriend, made all the sporting events, etc. DS #2 is a gamer and as long as the internet connection is strong, he's good! And all of his friends are on the games with him--at their own homes.

DS #3 has some savings also from refereeing. He is still refereeing soccer and helping his grandfather this summer. Will start the same school and program as DS #2. We'll see how he does. He will want to referee while at college, too. At orientation, I made him go with me to a seminar from the Career Office where they explained campus jobs and that off campus employers also look for students through the career office at the college. Hope some of that sunk in and he'll check out on and off campus jobs when he's at school.

We do pay for their automobile gas when they are home and auto expenses-something dh wanted to do for them as he and I both worked jobs and went to college at the same time. DH wanted that to be one less worry for the kids and didn't want them to stress the car issues like he had to when going to college.

DS #2 and #3's college has a flex account attached to their student id and meal plan that parents can add $ to. The flex account can be used for on campus expenses-snacks, extra food, supplies, laundry as well as off campus places around town like drug stores, gas stations, restaurants in town, etc. DS #2 has never used all that is on his card and the $ rolls over each year. I've added $ to it one or 2 times to be sure that he can swipe the card for washers and dryers. This past year, however, he had a friend in an off campus apartment who allowed him to come do his laundry there for free-so it was not used. If there's $ left over when he graduates, he can ask the college for a refund and they'll send him a check.

My daughter is still in school until the end of the week. She wanted to get a summer job but we told her to enjoy her summer. Senior year with 4 Ap classes plus sports and other stuff has been the super busy and non stop. This was one year that burned us all out-lol! She's suppose to have ear surgery this summer but not sure if she will wait. In college she will be in a special program to get her degree and credential in 4 years instead of 5, Plus summer school after freshman and sophomore year. Well see how heavy her school load is.

She's good with her money. She does pretty good with birthday money. She's a bargin shopper and used coupons since she was a kid. She saved up $900 last couple of years for when she turned 18(she started her own kids account when she was 8). Plus she has $500 saved for spending and she just gave me $320 to put toward her college. She has a graduation party nextweek and I'm sure she will get more $$. The family loves her and will give her $$ as gift. Everyone goes out of their way for her and always compliment how she so quiet she is but always has such good manners and always greets family with a hello and a hug at every family party or event. The other cousins her age don't even say hi to family so when she has a party its the one party everyone shows up for.

She's an only child so its easier for us to help her out. I know its different for everyone but Hubby and I tell her her job is education just work hard and get good grades and get that diploma/degree. If she can handle her program and working then it will be up to her. I just want her to finish in 4 years instead of 5. I always tell her she will have the rest of her life to work-lol! If I didn't have to work and take classes I would have finished college but I had to work and pay bills

Last edited:

My daughter works but only 2 days a week and that money goes towards make up, activities with friends, clothes etc. She has some money saved from a few commercials and tv shows that she did a couple years ago and she basically has been living on that for the past 2 years. When she goes away she has a work study for like 1200 a semester so that is some spending money and I told her I will put 100 a month into her checking account and her uncle will put 100 a month into her checking account and she has to make that last- and that includes using that money for ubers and concert tickets- she already has tickets to 2 concerts in Boston!

DS20 and DD18 have had summer jobs for the last several years. DS works at a country club golf course. DD works at an ice cream shop and sells Cutco knives. In the past she has worked at our county summer camp program, but she can't do it this year due to a school trip to Europe. We pay for their tuition*, room, board, books, computer, fraternity/sorority dues, cell phone and insurance (car & health). We also make sure they have a decent wardrobe. They are responsible for their spending money for all the extras.

*With both kids in college now, each will take out a $3000 subsidized student loan to help out.

DS went into his first 2 years of college with $2000 in spending money per year. He spent all of it! Sophomore year he was down to $70 when he came home for Spring Break. We were worried he wouldn't make it without a bail out. But he did it. He had plenty of meal swipes left on his meal plan, so we knew he wouldn't starve. Then he and his roommate started a band and booked some gigs. He made enough money playing the local bars and various fraternity parties to get through the rest of the school year. He didn't have enough money to go to Beach Week with his fraternity brothers after exams, so that is what we gave him for his 20th birthday.

Now I'm trying to figure out other cost. My DD gets lunch money , which sometimes she saves up. She isn't into make up or into things that add up in cost. She likes clothes but looks for good deals. The only things she does is go shopping, movies once in awhile with friends, yogurt and once in awhile a friends get together. In college she will be around more people and make friends that will have cars and want to go out and do things. She mentioned the school has Movie nights on the grass, 1-2 a year a big concert with rappers, singers etc and I think they also have a huge fair. Not sure what dances and parties. She's more on the quiet conservative side but who know when she goes to college. We are paying for her housing and meal plan and her plan has dining dollars so she can eat at fast food or restaurant on campus. She wont have a car the first year so not sure how much she will get out

DD just got a summer job as a visitor aid at an art museum. The money she makes from that, plus any money she gets for graduation should be enough spending money for Freshman year.

My dd has a few thousand dollars in the bank so that will hopefully last her a while for spending money. She pretty frugal when it's her nickel. I had a campus job while in college (not work study) and talked to her about looking for one. There are plenty of receptionist type jobs that.

This summer dd is having a few medical things taken care of so there really isn't an opportunity for her to get much of a job.

DS went into his first 2 years of college with $2000 in spending money per year. He spent all of it!

DS is responsible for paying for his books and his spending money. I told him he should aim to save up for $2000/yr spending money.

He has $3750 in savings and will add $250 of his graduation money to that. We are hoping the $4k will be enough for four years of books, so he should be all set for that.

He will have the rest of his graduation money, whatever is in his checking account, along with whatever he earns this summer to spend at school. He plans on getting a part time job on campus as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter