Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Our daughter graduates from Texas A&M Corpus Christi this month with a Bachelors in Biomedical Sciences and minor in Genetics. Graduation is in-person with the students just walking across the stage, getting the fake diploma and taking a pic. Guests are limited to six. We rented a townhouse and will be having a luau party and hanging out at the beach.

She is graduating completely debt free. All of her expenses were covered by academic scholarships, and she even has a good savings going.

She has a research publication to finish for the McNair Scholar program, then she'll come home for a few weeks. Her sponsoring professor offered her a paid research position for a research study that lasts two years. After that, he'll be her sponsor for the PhD program. So she'll still be in Corpus Christi for the next several years.

As far as presents, we're going to Disney in June, and I purchased her a set of blue sapphire earrings and matching ring.

Congrats to everyone!

We did a quick trip up to DD's college (UCF in Orlando) yesterday/today. She just finished her freshman year, but the Class of 2021 was having in-person graduations!

I don't know the details, but there was a LOT of joy all over campus. They had also invited the Class of 2020, who had fantasy graduations. It was fun to watch as we drove around campus this morning. Lots of posing for pictures at campus landmarks, and I'm sure some graduate-trampling of Pegasus!

UCF is a school with a LOT of first-generation college students -- so our graduations are really BIG deals for the families, and it shows. Good to see.

Congratulations to the Class of 2021!

Our son graduated Sunday, in person, limit of guests to 4 each student, covid changes-students were seated, no march in, all masked, as soon as they walked across the stage, they kept walking out to the exit, family quietly left at the same time, school had a banner under a huge awning where pictures were taken. Ceremony and pictures took less than an hour. Best college graduation ever! The larger degreed classes were divided into smaller graduations, so they held more ceremonies than usual.

Son graduated magna cume laude with a biochemistry degree. Now studying for med school entance exam in June. And will shadow doctors at our local hospital and volunteer at a low income medical clinic to get hours needed before med school.

The college is hosting the class of 2020 this year and holding graduation for them, since they did not have an in person graduation last year.

DD graduated today. Each college program at U of Illinois has its own graduation area. And they had graduation days for 8 days.

Civil engineering had their stage in the performing arts building. 4 guests were allowed. You walk in together, grad walks across stage and all walk out.

Grandma came with a rolling walker. A fantastic person in charge took one look at her, said to DD let’s move you to stage one. Told GMa let’s put you in a wheelchair so you don’t have to climb 32 steps down and then up.

DD asked how do I change the link so my aunt outside can see the correct stage, as I walk across? The lady said there is only one more person signed up for that stage today, let’s go get your aunt and she can watch in person.

DD internship starts next Monday. She will do a one year Masters program next year. She, so far, it will be online.

congrats to all 👏

Long time since anyone posted!!

My DD started orientation for dental school yesterday, and her white coat ceremony is tomorrow night! We are very excited for her special evening!
She's back at school for another 4 years, more if she decides to specialize.

I may end up being the last parent on this thread, lol!!!

Long time since anyone posted!!

My DD started orientation for dental school yesterday, and her white coat ceremony is tomorrow night! We are very excited for her special evening!
She's back at school for another 4 years, more if she decides to specialize.

I may end up being the last parent on this thread, lol!!!

Congratulations! I'll hang in there with you!

Our son passed his med school exam and is applying to schools for entry next fall. He's got an interview at his Alma mater in 2 weeks and is applying to about 4 others.

He's done a lot of shadowing doctors, volunteering with Red Cross and at a hospice this summer. He's now got a job scribing at a local hospital emergency room full time for more practical experience.

Nerve wracking to wait and see if he gets in to med school somewhere. I don't do well with unknowns!

Good luck to your son @Southernmiss! I also am not good with unknowns (or waiting).

My son started his first “real” job Monday. Finding an apartment was a little tough. People are wary of renting to someone with no employment history and little credit history now that it’s more difficult to evict. Fortunately, he’s in my hometown and can live with my parents. Also, my father has a few connections and was able to convince one person that he’d guarantee the year’s rent, so my son will have his own place September 1st. I’m not sure what we would have done if the job were in a different area. I really miss having him around. He’s the “baby” of 3. I’m very happy for him, though!

Congratulations! I'll hang in there with you!

Our son passed his med school exam and is applying to schools for entry next fall. He's got an interview at his Alma mater in 2 weeks and is applying to about 4 others.

He's done a lot of shadowing doctors, volunteering with Red Cross and at a hospice this summer. He's now got a job scribing at a local hospital emergency room full time for more practical experience.

Nerve wracking to wait and see if he gets in to med school somewhere. I don't do well with unknowns!
Congrats to your son! And best of luck to him!

There is nothing easy to the process....and waiting was the worst!!
But when you get that first interview, the stress melts away...

Good luck to your son @Southernmiss! I also am not good with unknowns (or waiting).

My son started his first “real” job Monday. Finding an apartment was a little tough. People are wary of renting to someone with no employment history and little credit history now that it’s more difficult to evict. Fortunately, he’s in my hometown and can live with my parents. Also, my father has a few connections and was able to convince one person that he’d guarantee the year’s rent, so my son will have his own place September 1st. I’m not sure what we would have done if the job were in a different area. I really miss having him around. He’s the “baby” of 3. I’m very happy for him, though!
Awesome feeling to get that first real job!!

Never hurts to get a little help from grandpa...glad he was able to help with the apartment!

I’m still with you.
DD was not happy Sunday. More Masters classes were dropped due to Covid and lack of students.
She had reached out to her professors the week prior, and no one had responded yet.

Because of less students in the classes, The students that are in the accelerated masters program are not going to get a free semester, that they were told they would earn because they were going to be the TAs for the undergrads.
She wasn’t happy taking her words classes that aren’t going to help her future.

Monday she decided she was staying in the program, as the professor finally responded.

And she was offered a job for when she does graduate. She has the $ offer but not the benefit package offer yet.

I’m still with you.
DD was not happy Sunday. More Masters classes were dropped due to Covid and lack of students.
She had reached out to her professors the week prior, and no one had responded yet.

Because of less students in the classes, The students that are in the accelerated masters program are not going to get a free semester, that they were told they would earn because they were going to be the TAs for the undergrads.
She wasn’t happy taking her words classes that aren’t going to help her future.

Monday she decided she was staying in the program, as the professor finally responded.

And she was offered a job for when she does graduate. She has the $ offer but not the benefit package offer yet.
How frustrating for your DD!
Sounds like it should all work out ok in the end....best of luck to her!!

my Daughter ended up landing a job that is totally remote forever which is what she wanted. She also got engaged this week. They are renting a house up in Westchester near his job though he is remote for at least 6 more months too.
Thats awesome!!!
Congrats all around!!!

my Daughter ended up landing a job that is totally remote forever which is what she wanted. She also got engaged this week. They are renting a house up in Westchester near his job though he is remote for at least 6 more months too.
Oh wow!!! Congratulations to your daughter!!!

Congratulations to your daughter! Curious to know what type of remote job that’s forever? I loved working remote. I saved so much gas $$ lol!

Congratulations to your daughter! Curious to know what type of remote job that’s forever? I loved working remote. I saved so much gas $$ lol!

she is a procurement analyst- she originally got a temp job with atlas air and while it was remote they wanted them back in office by January so she started applying to places that were remote and she got one. She says the same thing lol- says she doesn’t have to pay for gas, a car and car insurance, make up, work clothes and lunches out lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter