Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I've posted a while ago. My daughter graduatated high school in 2018 but with dual enrollment credits she graduated college in May 2021. She is currently on track to finish her master's degree in accounting in March since she took some classes while an undergrad. The program is remote which was the plan precovid. She lucked out and got both tuition discount and some scholarships so it is fairly cheap. In addition she is working full time remotely as a tax associate at one of the big 4 accounting firms. She is allowed to work remote permanently though will probably choose hybrid down the road. She went in once to check it out type thing and was one of 2 people on her floor.

My daughter is in the middle of changing jobs. She was at her previous company for 2 years - campus ambassador junior year, full time recruiting intern last summer, part time recruiting intern her senior year and a full time full cycle corporate recruiter after her May graduation. After doing full cycle recruiting for 4 months, she did not like the metrics she had to meet each day (40 calls a day, 120 minutes of talking a day, 6 new hires a month). It was literally like a cold call sales job, which she didn’t want. Crazy thing is that she was very good at it!!! But she didn’t like it, and the pay, benefits and time off weren’t very good. So she started looking for a new job and got hired last week with a top US construction company as a recruiting coordinator. The pay is almost $10,000 higher, they have 401k matching (unlike her first job), 15 days PTO (vs 10 days), and the company closes for an additional 2 weeks at Christmas/New Years! The company has offices all over the US, so she can work in office or at home. They are flying her to Nashville next week to meet her new boss. She is so excited!!!

She also just signed a lease with a girl friend from college for her first grown up apartment. She can’t wait to move out of our house, but we are sad to see her go. She’s moving up to a Northern Virginia area that is full of young professionals the first weekend in November. Her boyfriend will be up there this summer for Marine OCS and then later for The Basic School after he graduates. So her move is part of their plan.

DD got a call today she was picked to be a online TA grader for this coming semester for a different professor. = one free semester

She was super happy; as she knew her other 2 master classmates got the only 2 open positions.

Ironically I think, it was for a professor, that she did some extra credit work for -while we were on vacation during a Disney trip, one morning before we headed out she said she needed time to do some slides for this professor- to help for future students taking the class.
The professor, later thanked her, told her she was the only one who gave feed back on each slide. Have her some extra points. Help that grade be an A.
And a job.

DD got a call today she was picked to be a online TA grader for this coming semester for a different professor. = one free semester

She was super happy; as she knew her other 2 master classmates got the only 2 open positions.

Ironically I think, it was for a professor, that she did some extra credit work for -while we were on vacation during a Disney trip, one morning before we headed out she said she needed time to do some slides for this professor- to help for future students taking the class.
The professor, later thanked her, told her she was the only one who gave feed back on each slide. Have her some extra points. Help that grade be an A.
And a job.
A free semester!!! That is awesome!!!

How is everyone else's 2021 grad doing? My DD is taking her "gap period" which actually may one be a gap year. We'll see.

My DD is now learning important lessons that college just can't teach you.

In the fall, she learned that parents (in this case, her BF's parents) actually know what the heck they are talking about. The shuttle bus they purchased to live in for a lot of money turned out to be a big rust bucket just as his dad told them it would be. They don't have the skills to fix it and they don't have the thousands of dollars to pay someone else to fix it. They tried to resell it in the fall but that didn't fly. I told them to wait until the spring when demand for something like that will be higher. They will lose a couple thousand in the deal. *ouch* If only they have listed to his dad, but ... no! Hard, expensive lesson learned.

They moved out to Steamboat Springs, CO late last month to be ski bums. He is working in the kitchen as a chef (he's done that before) and she is doing daycare and private ski lessons for young children. They are living in a hotel that has been converted into housing by the resort for couples. They are finally getting their "tiny house" experience, LOL. The good news is that they get to ski for free! It really is quite the adventure and I'm glad that they have the time now to sow some of those wild oats. They won't be able to do that kind of thing once they settle down into adulthood and start a family. She has sent me photos of the resort and it is beautiful! I am also (selfishly) happy that they are experiencing working for the service economy for somewhat crappy wages and I am hopeful that will encourage the gap to be smaller.

I'm not sure what their plan is for the spring and summer. I think they still want to "van life" it, but with a different vehicle than the one they bought last year. I hope they listen to our advice next time! My DD said something about applying to colleges for the fall. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her. I think that being an Occupational Therapist is the best path for her, especially if she wants to travel but I think she's still leaning toward a Masters in Counseling with a focus on Dance and Movement Therapy. I would almost like her to take another year if it means she will go to school to be an OT but it's her life and not mine.

My DS graduated in December. Some of you might remember it had been an exceptionally rough road for him in the last couple of years but he finished strong. He starts his career today! He accepted a creative role at a big time advertising agency and sent me a very happy picture from his first day of work. I'm just so excited for him!

My DS graduated in December. Some of you might remember it had been an exceptionally rough road for him in the last couple of years but he finished strong. He starts his career today! He accepted a creative role at a big time advertising agency and sent me a very happy picture from his first day of work. I'm just so excited for him!
Ooo! A creative roll in an ad agency sounds like so much fun! You'll have to update us on an ad he's worked on in the future (if that's allowed).

Ds is enjoying his first career job as well. His degree is in finance and he is working as a mortgage loan originator.
I bet he's been very, very busy!

How are all the grads doing? Mine is still working her remote job and living up in Westchester. She and her fiancée just put a bid in on a house in New Rochelle she has no desire to further her degree at all says she has had enough of school.

Still at the job she got February 2020 and feeling very happy and competent there.

This winter she broke up with boyfriend of 3.5 years. It was the right thing to do but she's still a little wistful about it.

This summer will be fun for her because DD20 is moving to her suburb for internship. They have lots of plans and will really enjoy being just 2 miles away from each other.

Mine just came home from a winter in Steamboat Springs working on the mountain as a ski bum. She got to ski for free every day. She says she's going "chill out" for about a month before getting a job for the summer. I'm OK with her being lazy now. She worked her butt off in college and she needs to recharge before going to grad school.

My daughter finished her grad school classes in March and will get her Masters in Accounting/taxation concentration (however it is worded) diploma in May. She goes in to the office 0-3 days a week and works from home. So far she enoys her work and since she isn't working on federal tax it was not bad leading up to April 15th. She has applied to take her first cpa exam out of 4 and just waiting that to finalize.

DD is finishing her Accelerated one year civil engineer masters program. She is a TA this semester. She had accepted a job where the services was going to send BF. But he is getting sent elsewhere.
I’m actually flying to her soon and we are doing a road trip close by where they want to live so there is now a new destination on our trip.
DD is going to look to start a really job after they move. She thinks she is going to apply for for part times jobs for something to do this weekend.
I asked her; is he good with you being a human without a 9 to 5 job. She does currently contribute to rent and groceries.

Our son moved back home to work in our local ER and save $ for
medical school after graduating last May.

He's working 2 different jobs in the ER and 4 to 6 12 hour shifts a week. Lots of hours!

Applications for med school open the end of May. He's sending out numerous applications hoping to get in this cycle.

Have to say the combination of pandemic and transition from college student to working adult in limbo until he gets into med school or figures out what's next, took a toll on him socially. That's caused me some new gray hairs as he sorts things out.

DD is finishing her Accelerated one year civil engineer masters program. She is a TA this semester. She had accepted a job where the services was going to send BF. But he is getting sent elsewhere.
I’m actually flying to her soon and we are doing a road trip close by where they want to live so there is now a new destination on our trip.
DD is going to look to start a really job after they move. She thinks she is going to apply for for part times jobs for something to do this weekend.
I asked her; is he good with you being a human without a 9 to 5 job. She does currently contribute to rent and groceries.

Good luck to her! Hard to keep a job when you are always having to move around.

Still at the job she got February 2020 and feeling very happy and competent there.

This winter she broke up with boyfriend of 3.5 years. It was the right thing to do but she's still a little wistful about it.

This summer will be fun for her because DD20 is moving to her suburb for internship. They have lots of plans and will really enjoy being just 2 miles away from each other.

Mine met a boy her 2nd week of school- He graduated 2 years before her but they stayed together and she graduated in April and he proposed in September- they are getting married June 2023. They basically have been living together for 2-3 years anyway, during the pandomic she was staying at his apartment most of the time, when she was actually going to go back to school in Boston she got there, tested positive and then had to go quarantine at his place because I have a 93 year old at home she couldnt come expose. So she ended up just doing the whole last semester from his apartment. As soon as she graduated they rented a house and now are looking to buy one. Their bid did not get accepted for the house in New Rochelle- they only went in at 25,000 over asking so they were outbid.
She has no desire to ever have to go back to an office to work and there are plenty of remote only jobs- she is interviewing for a different company that pays more next week. Her boyfriend has to go back in the office twice a week soon and he is not happy about that.

My 2021 grad is loving her job as a Recruiting Coordinator on the talent acquisition team at DPR Construction. Her job responsibilities have been growing. She has started doing some recruiting on her own for one of their business lines. Salary negotiations are coming up soon, and she’s hoping for a really good raise. She travels a couple times a month for meetings. She’s been to Texas (Dallas and Austin) a few times, Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, San Diego. The frequent flyer miles are racking up!!! Between work travel and travel to see her college friends and boyfriend, she’s hardly ever at her expensive Northern Virginia apartment. Her boyfriend was just officially selected for Marine Corp OCS this summer. He has one more year of school left (same age as her but he transferred and lost a bunch of credits), and he’ll be getting a monthly stipend. They are talking about getting an apartment together in our (much cheaper cost of living) city this fall. We shall see. She is a happy, hardworking young lady, and I’m so proud of her!

Ahhhhhhh graduation day IS TODAY!!!
She and navy boyfield (who got leave) drove here for grad day. Today she woke up. Chills last night. Temp 99. Covid positive.
No grad today. No party tonight. She is sad.
I got cake!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter