Park Arrival time in Late August

Cassiejmom

Earning My Ears
Hi,
we will be in the parks from Aug 22nd-Aug 27th. Touring plans has some pretty low crowd levels. We have not been to Disney since they changed the arrival/rope drop procedures. Some websites say they let you into the parks 15-30min ahead of time others say an hour or more. I assume that's based on predicted crowds. What time should we arrive? We'd like to attempt FOP at Rope Drop in AK since I couldn't get a FP, but our kids have only been to Disney once when they were very little and have no idea what rides are there so if they can't do a big headliner they won't know the difference. I was not able to get a FP for Slinky Dog either although I did get one for TSM so we'd also like to get the on Slinky Dog at rope drop. We won't be in a big hurry to get to anything at MK or Epcot. We are coming from the Poly so we can hope on the monorail for MK and Epcot. I'm just wondering how early to get there. My son has some special needs and won't do well arriving an hour early.
Thanks!

Right now, it is advised to show up around an hour early for FoP. If you hit an EMH at AK, you may be ok with getting there at around 45 min early. The reason is because so many people line up for it that they start letting people through the tapstiles earlier. So, at AK, you are let in, and then go join the herd over by Pandora, then they lead you to the rides (NRJ or FoP) from there. The other option is to get in line right before park close; the posted time has been inflated to discourage people from riding, but there is still a wait.

I don't know much about ropedrop for SDD as I've only done it via FP.

Touring plans has a video log on park opening and pandora land, with FoP information that is excellent. I never liked touring plans in the past, but that nerdy guy who does all of touring plans vlogs is making me adjust my position.

I especially like it because it gives a very true and real perspective of what it's like at park opening, when to be there, what to do, and the consequences of even 20 minutes later start. I am a visual learner, and that video was an eye opener!

August is sweltering. Our family does much better in the evenings, so we usually sleep in, hit the pool, then head to the park after 3. FP and air conditioned rides first, then lines taper as it cools throughout the evening.

Depending on your son's needs, he might qualify for a disability access pass. Check out the disAbilities board for any questions.

HS has extra magic hours starting at 7am. People have reported riding SDD by 6:30 or 6:45? Look for another thread about that or look up Josh's review on easywdw.

No advice but we arrive the 23 and couldn’t get a FOP FastPass either. My son has autism and I’m hoping the access pass will help with this one ride. We are not on the monorail but hope to do the midday break strategy.

We went to HS EMH yesterday which was scheduled to open at 7. We arrived at 6:20, were let in the park at 6:45 and on the first coaster out at SD, followed by 2x on AS2, and 2x on TSM. It was great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter