Park Restrooms on an Daddy / Daughter trip

davedray

Earning My Ears
My 10 year old DD and I are going to WDW this late August. My DW just isn't feeling WDW right now, and would rather sit this trip out. We are staying at the Poly and I am planing on taking an afternoon break some days. My only real worry for this trip is the restroom situation in the parks. Hopefully we will utilize the restrooms at restaurants. When DD needs to use the restroom, I can just wait for her outside. My main concern is what we should do if I need to use the restroom in the park. She will have a cell phone with "find my" active. I figure, I can just have her sit on a bench near the restroom. I am guessing we are too old for the Baby Centers, though they were amazing when she was a baby went we last went. I also wonder if there are any / many Family restrooms. I would truly appreciate it if you have any thoughts or ideas, or even if you just want to tell me I am over thinking it. Thanks!!

There are definitely Family restrooms near every regular restroom area. Like you said, I would plan on using the benches/ little areas outside the restrooms.

There are family restrooms that are a single large stall that she can use and you can stand at the door. They may also be handicap, I can’t remember.

I wouldn’t worry too much. Have a great trip with your daughter!

Actually Disney does NOT offer Family Restrooms. What they do have are Companion Restrooms that are for persons of the opposite sex that need to assist one another or for disabled individuals that need more room or assistance. Below is the sign you will see at these restrooms (two adults of opposite sex and someone in a wheelchair). In my situation I travel with my disabled adult son so these are the ONLY bathrooms we can use.

You will find these by the regular bathrooms in NEW sections of the parks and scattered at some bathrooms in older sections of the parks. If you pick up a brochure in front of park for Guest with Disabilities you will find their locations in that.

While it is very frustrating when non disabled are using these bathrooms when they can easily use the regular bathrooms - in your situation I think Dad's should take daughters in them if you think they can not go in the Women's room alone. No girl should have to go in a Men's room.

1682272731851.jpeg

I think that you should use the ‘one goes we both go’ rule. Everyone uses the loos at the same time and meets outside. At 10 she will be fine alone, but I would try to use the hotel, restaurant loos as much as possible, as they are generally nicer to use and wait outside.

I think that you should use the ‘one goes we both go’ rule. Everyone uses the loos at the same time and meets outside. At 10 she will be fine alone, but I would try to use the hotel, restaurant loos as much as possible, as they are generally nicer to use and wait outside.
This would be my strategy as well. I assume she is a good kid that isn't going to run off while she waits for you. :laughing:

My 10 year old DD and I are going to WDW this late August. My DW just isn't feeling WDW right now, and would rather sit this trip out. We are staying at the Poly and I am planing on taking an afternoon break some days. My only real worry for this trip is the restroom situation in the parks. Hopefully we will utilize the restrooms at restaurants. When DD needs to use the restroom, I can just wait for her outside. My main concern is what we should do if I need to use the restroom in the park. She will have a cell phone with "find my" active. I figure, I can just have her sit on a bench near the restroom. I am guessing we are too old for the Baby Centers, though they were amazing when she was a baby went we last went. I also wonder if there are any / many Family restrooms. I would truly appreciate it if you have any thoughts or ideas, or even if you just want to tell me I am over thinking it. Thanks!!

Everyone's comfort level is different, but I remember my dad taking all 3 of us girls to the mall or something like that and he would just have us sit and wait outside while he went. I think a 10 year old will be fine waiting outside.

I would have no problem parking her in a specific spot, telling her not to move, and heading in to go myself. In the reverse, send her in, remind her to wash her hands ha ha, and meet you where you are parked waiting for her. :D

I worry about the both in, both out method, but that's just me. Like PP said, everyone's comfort level is different.

I'm not sure what the issue is. She isn't capable of sitting alone? If she has special needs, you can use the companion restroom. Or you think she's going to run away or something?

Disney has the cameras of Vegas, I would have zero worries parking a reasonably compliant 10 year old for a moment.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and tips! I truly appreciate it!
I assume she is a good kid that isn't going to run off while she waits for you. :laughing:
LOL! You are right, she is a good kid that wouldn't run away while I am in there.

I worry about the both in, both out method
I agree. In restaurants and at the resorts, I think this will be fine and do plan on it. But in the parks, I just don't want her to come out an maybe have it be more crowded when I get out.

Again, I appreciate everyone input. Thank you so much!

Handicapped and companion restrooms are an accomodation, not an exclusive reservation. Feel free to use what you feel is necessary for your situation. Handicapped people are not more equal than others. It is important to show consideration for ALL park goers and not use special accommodations if it is not necessary.

~NM

Handicapped and companion restrooms are an accomodation, not an exclusive reservation. Feel free to use what you feel is necessary for your situation. Handicapped people are not more equal than others. It is important to show consideration for ALL park goers and not use special accommodations if it is not necessary.

~NM
yes anyone can use but I need the handicapped ones. I take longer than most people. had a family waiting who keep knocking telling me I was taking too long and were very upset when child ended up peeing self before I could get out. wanted me to replace clothes for their child. always mention that it could take longer waiting for that reason.

There are family restrooms that are a single large stall that she can use and you can stand at the door. They may also be handicap, I can’t remember.

I wouldn’t worry too much. Have a great trip with your daughter!
They are Companion Restrooms, as others have mentioned.
Because they are the only restrooms some people with disabilities can use, there may be a long wait (some people with disabilities need extra time to care for their needs).
May not be an issue for a 10 yr old, but it’s good to be aware that they are equipped with higher, raised seat toilets which might be too high for some kids

I think she’ll be fine waiting in a spot for you to get back.

If you are both going at the same time (which would be my strategy) maybe let her go first, when she comes out put her in a spot to wait and then you go. If that makes you feel more comfortable.

At that age my daughter would’ve been fine. With my son I probably would’ve done the one at a time thing because he had a tendency to get easily distracted or forget where I said to wait. He also was a bit more anxious and if the area got crazy crowded and he couldn’t see the spot I told him to wait at he would’ve panicked.

She's 10 - she'll be fine either going to bathroom herself or waiting outside for you while you go.

In my experience it is highly likely that you will be out before your daughter so, assuming you opt to go when she does, I doubt she will be waiting for you. Have you never noticed that female bathroom visits tend to take a little longer than male ones, even if there are no lines.

Depending on DD, I would either have her wait on a bench or just inside the mens room, near the exit but where she can see you.

I’d be fine with leaving a 10yo to meet me just outside the bathroom. I’d also review with her who to go to if she is concerned for her safety or gets lost (I.e. CMs - how to recognize them, where they are, etc). It’s also important for kids to know that it’s ok to say “no” to an adult. As in “I’ll take you to your dad.” “No. He told me to wait here.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter