Parking Lot Woes

Comerica Park in downtown Detroit was a little challenging as I don't recall using a massive parking lot/garage. Camden Yards parking was never an issue since we would stay in a hotel by the stadium. Same with Petco in San Diego.

The only MLB stadium that I can recall having issues with was the previous Yankees stadium in the Bronx.
We parked in a garage right across from Comerica.

I parked in the lot on the upper right at Tiger Stadium.

IMG_0581.jpeg

That is one of the advantages of locating the new build stadiums in more urban areas rather than the suburbs. Locate them near public transit and near existing parking.

No need to create massive expanses of asphalt.
Apparently the Oakland A's hadn't heard that. Before they decided to try and move to Las Vegas their Howard Terminal site for a new stadium has no place for parking, and no public transit.
Their current stadium has paved parking for 5,000 cars, easy freeway access, a pedestrian crossing to the BART, AMTRAK and bus station.
Their proposed Las Vegas stadium site has no space for parking. Of course they are meeting with Oakland officials tomorrow to try and extend their lease since it expires after this season and it will be at least 2028 before a Las Vegas stadium will be ready........if it ever happens.

There's a couple surface lots near Progressive Field (the Cleveland Guardians home park) that are like that, although nowhere near that scale. They're right across from the park, so they're not cheap, and I always wonder what happens to the first few folks that park there if they want to leave before the end of the game.
I parked in a multi-story garage wedged between the stadium and arena. EZ in and out when we left about the 7th inning.

Old Mistake by the Lake. Upper left had the crowded parking.

IMG_0571.jpeg

KC doesn't have good mass transit. It's a critical piece of the equation.

When I went to the Super Bowl parade last year I had to park offsite at the zoo and take a school bus downtown.

According to one of the theme park sites I follow Worlds of Fun is NOT a designated parking shuttle site this year, unlike last year.

Those gigantic lots make me thankful that the current trend is to build sports complexes with little to no additional parking.

Truist park here in Atlanta built only a few dedicated spots. For the majority of their parking they reuse parking that was already in place for nearby businesses.

Mercedes-Benz in Atlanta has a grass tailgating lot on top of a parking deck so the aerial view is grass instead of asphalt.

That is one of the advantages of locating the new build stadiums in more urban areas rather than the suburbs. Locate them near public transit and near existing parking.

No need to create massive expanses of asphalt.
Exactly. Those massive surface parking lots are an abomination and should be banned.

I'm sure you'd prefer nobody drive to the games. That's kind of hard to do in a city without mass transit.
Even if the city has mass transit, that may only work for fans in living in the city. If you live in the suburbs mass transit may not be a viable option.

I'm sure you'd prefer nobody drive to the games. That's kind of hard to do in a city without mass transit.

So what would happen if they built a stadium downtown? Would that improve the mass transit? I prefer that people driving cars aren't subsidized by my tax dollars.

Why shouldn't taxpayers demand the cheapest way possible to move 50,000 fans in and out? Why should taxpayers subsidize a private corporation?
I have zero interest in subsidizing a private corporation. I’m voting against this and hope enough others do to kill it. It I doubt it though. It very much feels like a freight train coming our way that can't be stopped.

Light rail has been discussed as long as I can recall but never seems to get enough support. They've been tearing up streets for several years now to put in a cute little streetcar system that goes from one shopping district in the city to another, nothing even remotely close to the mass transit system that would be needed to make a downtown stadium reasonable.

Nothing is getting support right now though (except maybe this dumb stadium). The county is too busy bankrupting countless residents with crooked home reappraisals (lawsuits are ongoing). And by crooked, I mean actually crooked. Like claiming they inspected homes when they didn't. And sending notices past deadlines. All sorts of issues. I'm kind of shocked they would even put this up for a vote in the county right now.

They should at least build parking garages instead of huge lots. Decrease the footprint.
Yep. Increase density and decrease sprawl.

I question anyone who drives in for a Cubs game at Wrigley. Park anywhere else near the Red Line and take it in instead. The station is right there.

Why shouldn't taxpayers demand the cheapest way possible to move 50,000 fans in and out? Why should taxpayers subsidize a private corporation?
The unfortunate aspect is many of us metro citizens don't have a voice. I don't want a Downtown stadium even though they seem adamant that they will do that (which is par for the course) but I don't get a vote nor a say.

It's absolutely silly the way they are talking about it too. The number of parking spots quoted was 40,000 for Downtown except they seem to have forgotten that is for businesses, residents and visitors to use. It's not 40,000 parking spots being devoted to just the stadium.

While the current set up has always allowed for traffic snarls and filled to the gills parking on grass, curbs, etc it is far better the way it is now in comparison to a Downtown stadium would be.

Even if the city has mass transit, that may only work for fans in living in the city. If you live in the suburbs mass transit may not be a viable option.
Much of our metro is suburbs too. We're fairly spread out here. The airport for instance is still within the metro but it's almost 44 miles away from me. The stadiums are 30 miles.

The unfortunate aspect is many of us metro citizens don't have a voice. I don't want a Downtown stadium even though they seem adamant that they will do that (which is par for the course) but I don't get a vote nor a say.

It's absolutely silly the way they are talking about it too. The number of parking spots quoted was 40,000 for Downtown except they seem to have forgotten that is for businesses, residents and visitors to use. It's not 40,000 parking spots being devoted to just the stadium.

While the current set up has always allowed for traffic snarls and filled to the gills parking on grass, curbs, etc it is far better the way it is now in comparison to a Downtown stadium would be.
The current stadium location hasn't encouraged additional developments. It is just surrounded by massive surface parking lots that are a complete waste of space.

The current stadium location hasn't encouraged additional developments. It is just surrounded by massive surface parking lots that are a complete waste of space.
The massive surface parking will remain since Arrowhead will still be at the location. Moving the baseball stadium to a different location just doubles the parking needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter