Parking Lot Woes

The massive surface parking will remain since Arrowhead will still be at the location. Moving the baseball stadium to a different location just doubles the parking needs.

Why don't they redevelop those parking lots into a mixed use development and housing? The property owner isn't generating any cash on a parking lot that sits empty 98% of the time.

The current stadium location hasn't encouraged additional developments. It is just surrounded by massive surface parking lots that are a complete waste of space.
For this location in particular that's been fine by locals. It's already in a location that creates traffic problems on the highways on game days and a move to Downtown would be even worse, a million times worse actually. Like y'all just saw how it was for the parade with people parking on the side of highways. When you plan for something from the beginning it's easier to account for business size, parking situations, zoning, etc.

There's an allure to Downtown stadiums really primarily for views. Right now you're getting a highway view behind the Crown screen. But aside from that nothing is gained but headaches. Plus the businesses there have real concerns over how it would impact them. Tailgating is also a big concern as that is very much part of the culture here although it's done to a lesser extent for baseball.

Why don't they redevelop those parking lots into a mixed use development and housing? The property owner isn't generating any cash on a parking lot that sits empty 98% of the time.
The entire area is owned by the county government.

Taxpayers pay for renovations and upkeep at that complex which includes both stadiums and the surrounding areas. It's a 3/8ths sales tax up for renewal in a couple of years. That has been said it would carry over as a renewal for 40 years even if they move to Downtown. The deal for that when it passed was that residents of Jackson County then get first dibs on tickets.

For this location in particular that's been fine by locals. It's already in a location that creates traffic problems on the highways on game days and a move to Downtown would be even worse, a million times worse actually. Like y'all just saw how it was for the parade with people parking on the side of highways. When you plan for something from the beginning it's easier to account for business size, parking situations, zoning, etc.

There's an allure to Downtown stadiums really primarily for views. Right now you're getting a highway view behind the Crown screen. But aside from that nothing is gained but headaches. Plus the businesses there have real concerns over how it would impact them. Tailgating is also a big concern as that is very much part of the culture here although it's done to a lesser extent for baseball.

The entire area is owned by the county government.

Taxpayers pay for renovations and upkeep at that complex which includes both stadiums and the surrounding areas. It's a 3/8ths sales tax up for renewal in a couple of years. That has been said it would carry over as a renewal for 40 years even if they move to Downtown. The deal for that when it passed was that residents of Jackson County then get first dibs on tickets.
It's actually up for renewal in April. I'm voting against it as are many other Jackson County residents. I'm just over all the County shenanigans. They don't deserve a yes vote.

It's not really an appealing area for business development. And the county owns it. So there's no reason to be fiscally cautious. They'll just go to the residents and raise taxes when they need it. Which is exactly what they're doing right now. The County Executive is actually... a former baseball player.

It's actually up for renewal in April.
Oh yeah, I was meaning that the end date was up in a few years (I can see how I worded it confusingly). Right now it goes until 2031, the extension, if passed would have it going for 40 more years.

But I mean look at all the stuff that has been going on with this mess. White didn't think it should go to a vote in April until more talks were going on, but the county went ahead with passing it, White veteoed it, they overrode that. They don't even have a cohesive message to give voters :sad2:
I'm voting against it as are many other Jackson County residents. I'm just over all the County shenanigans. They don't deserve a yes vote.
I don't blame you. Ever since they floated around rumors of a downtown stadium several years back it's been met with a lot of resistance but they want to just plow ahead. They tend to put the cart before the horse a lot. Reminds me of that whole street sign changing to MLK debacle when they conveniently forgot they were supposed to get voter approval to do so and when they put it up for a vote after it was discovered it didn't pass so they wasted money and had to undo what they did.

It's not really an appealing area for business development. And the county owns it. So there's no reason to be fiscally cautious. They'll just go to the residents and raise taxes when they need it. Which is exactly what they're doing right now. The County Executive is actually... a former baseball player.
I see no difference between this site and the suburban Atlanta site where they built the new Braves stadium. They surrounded that stadium with high density residential and commercial developments. Those generate more income than the stadium does. Why shouldn't taxpayers demand a maximum return on their investment?

I see no difference between this site and the suburban Atlanta site where they built the new Braves stadium. They surrounded that stadium with high density residential and commercial developments. Those generate more income than the stadium does. Why shouldn't taxpayers demand a maximum return on their investment?
The county has also decided to build a big new county jail about a mile down the road from the stadiums. I don't think the area has a lot of appeal for high density residential developments.

And believe me, county residents are trying hard to demand more. It's all highly political, very complicated by the downtown core versus suburban parts of the county.

It's also complicated by a state line running right through the city. Jackson County is expected to absorb a lot of the infrastructure costs while the money moved to the other side of the state line.

So it's very hard to judge from across the country without understanding the local issues complicating things.

Last edited:

The county has also decided to build a big new county jail about a mile down the road from the stadiums. I don't think the area has a lot of appeal for high residential developments.

And believe me, county residents are trying hard to demand more. It's all highly political, very complicated by the downtown core versus suburban parts of the county.

It's also complicated by a state line running right through the city. Jackson County is expected to absorb a lot of the infrastructure costs while the money moved to the other side of the state line.

So it's very hard to judge from across the country without understanding the local issues complicating things.

Just do whatever it takes to get the team owners to pay for this. Seattle just got a private developer to pay $1 billion to upgrade a city owned arena. Taxpayers refused to pay 1 cent.

Just do whatever it takes to get the team owners to pay for this. Seattle just got a private developer to pay $1 billion to upgrade a city owned arena. Taxpayers refused to pay 1 cent.
All I can do is vote no, which I am. The whole thing is ridiculous. We haven't even had a winning team in years. It's been really painful of late. More like a farm team to the larger markets.

The county is a political mess.

Since the KC stadium question was a big part of this discussion, I thought I'd update the thread. The downtown stadium move was on the ballot this week and was defeated by 17 points. I was one of the no votes.

The $3 million ad campaign in favor of this was disgusting, basically threatening fans with teams leaving town if they didn't vote for it. We might indeed lose a team. The Chiefs could eventually move across the state line. Lots of things could actually happen. But this plan was a boondoggle and I'm glad it was defeated.

Since the KC stadium question was a big part of this discussion, I thought I'd update the thread. The downtown stadium move was on the ballot this week and was defeated by 17 points. I was one of the no votes.

The $3 million ad campaign in favor of this was disgusting, basically threatening fans with teams leaving town if they didn't vote for it. We might indeed lose a team. The Chiefs could eventually move across the state line. Lots of things could actually happen. But this plan was a boondoggle and I'm glad it was defeated.
They are still casting shade slinging mud at least from comments coming from them, it's truly awful the way the Chiefs and the Royals are acting. So much for caring about your community and I think they forget the community is the entire metro so you're trash talking everyone really. I know Gov. Kelly is totally fine with the Chiefs going to KS but even I'm like that's no way to treat the fans here with the Chiefs and the Royals comments. There's a long, well-founded history for why the residents were concerned.

The Royals are still gung ho about a Downtown stadium :sad2:

They are still casting shade slinging mud at least from comments coming from them, it's truly awful the way the Chiefs and the Royals are acting. So much for caring about your community and I think they forget the community is the entire metro so you're trash talking everyone really. I know Gov. Kelly is totally fine with the Chiefs going to KS but even I'm like that's no way to treat the fans here with the Chiefs and the Royals comments. There's a long, well-founded history for why the residents were concerned.

The Royals are still gung ho about a Downtown stadium :sad2:
Honestly, I haven't watched any coverage of the aftermath. I'm just so sick of all of it. So many ads on TV and in the mail. Such a waste.

If they want to just trash talk the voters of Jackson County, then they can have at it. They put forth a terrible plan without enough details. Parking remains a huge issue in the mind of voters and it was never addressed except to say, it's fine, we don't need more parking. Come on down!

They should try again. Leave the stadiums where they are and finally finance the rolling roof that was initially proposed back when the stadiums were built. Even this disgruntled county resident and tax payer would vote for that.

So the plan wasn't good. And their timing was terrible. People aren't even remotely close to being over the reassessment debacle. Lawsuits are ongoing. Recall efforts are ongoing. And the county offices are currently closed after a ransomware attack on their computers. It's really something. Good luck even licensing a car this week. It's all so dysfunctional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter