Party day of and day after strategies....

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
Doing our first party this year, YAY!

What do you do the day of the party? Parks or no parks until party time?

What about the day after? We really want to rope drop HS the day after the party, but... I'm a little nervous about that! I'm not sure how much time to say we'll spend at the party, being that we are not late night people. I think the latest we'll make it to is 10:30-ish...

We are doing our first party this year (August MNSSHP). We have a two week trip and 10 park days. All I know for sure is that we are having a sleep in/pool day the day after the party. I'm not sure if we going to do a park the day of the party. It's going to be one of those things that we go with the flow while we are down there. I have a three pool days sprinkled throughout our trip, but we can be flexible if the weather is better or worse some days.

I want to try and close a couple parks this trip, my youngest finally seems to be able to make it past 10 pm without being miserable.

Depends on the ages of your group - different people can handle different things.

Personally, I plan on being at a park the day of and the day after, but likely not rope dropping and we will take mid day breaks.

We used a regular day ticket at MK and just stayed there fore the party (they have stations inside the park where you can get your wristband starting at 4pm). It was AWESOME! No waits for any attractions, and main street DURING the FOF parade was a ghost town, and this was the second-to-last party date of the season.

I’ve gone to 4 parties. And everyone I have gone to a park the day of. But only for a couple hours and it is usually been animal kingdom. After that I go rest for a bit. Head to some kind of dinner (usually in MK) and than party. Day after is another normal Park day for me which means rope drop.

I'm doing my first party in November. The plan is to sleep in on party day and hit the pool. We have no ADRs planned. If we feel like eating somewhere we will do a same day ADR near our resort (BWV). We plan on getting to MK at 4 pm and eating QS if we are hungry.

The day after we will sleep in and hit DHS whenever we get around to it. I'm sure by 12-1 pm. We will stay until closing.

Last edited:

Our family did MNSSHP for the first time last year. Our original plan was to just take it easy the day of the party. But the Disney magic got to us and we rope dropped a park that day. We went back to the hotel for a little break, but it was not long enough. DD was so exhausted she felt sick and had to leave half way through the party at 9:30. Had the party been at the beginning of our week long trip maybe it would have been diffferent, but it was on our last night there so the exhaustion had built up by then too.

We will be sticking to our plan this year. We are sleeping in the day of the party and relaxing at the pool and heading to MK for 4:00. We are also sleeping in the day after the party and heading for Typhoon Lagoon whenever we wake up.

Last August we went to Epcot for a 9:45 breakfast and to get fp for another tier 1 ride in. We only stayed until around 1, then went back to the room for naps. The next day we had a 9:30ish breakfast at our hotel. We wouldn’t have been able to RD. It rained our party night, so the parade didn’t step off until almost 10 and everything else was pushed back. Mom and DD 4 made it through fireworks at about 11:30 then left. DD 7 and I stayed to see hocus Pocus which they were finally able to put on around 12:30 or so. The party was amazing, but with the Florida weather you never know what you will get so just in case it ends up being a later night I wouldn’t plan RD the next morning.

We attended MNSSHP for the first time a couple years ago. We had been to the Halloween party at Disneyland many times and so we used our Disneyland strategy -- which is get there early, stay all day, and party till we drop. Big mistake! WDW is sooooo much bigger, our entire group (multiple ages) was just exhausted about mid-party. None of us stayed very long at the party.

We are going to the Christmas party this year and will do things differently. If we just can't wait to get into the park (likely!) we'll stay awhile and then go back to the hotel and chill out until later party time. Or we'll sleep in, have a late breakfast and arrive comfortably later. (We are willing to use our park tickets to get into the park early.)

The day after...not sure, but no rope drops. We'll set our FPs for a little later than usual.

We are going to our first party in October. Will eat Breakfast at our resort (ASMu) and then relax at the pool before dressing and heading to AKL for lunch at Sanaa before hitting MK at 4PM. We will be hitting EMH the next day at MK on our last day. Goin' out like Butch and Sundance.
butch_cassidy_and_the_sundance_kid1-1.jpg

Kids ages, 7 and 10 at the time. Did our first MVMCP last year. Party day, I played golf, a sunrise 9, while the girls all slept in, then we went to DS for a few hours. Did the party from 4-close. Next day, we had to be at Space Mountain by 11 before our FP window closed, leaving us a relaxed morning.

Plan on a very similar schedule next time, worked well for us. Closed the party, and the next day, we were at MK until 11 or so.

We plan party days the same as any other day in Disney. If we are planning to close a park we do not rush out in the morning. We have breakfast, hit the pool or do some shopping, relax a bit and then head out. For a party we plan an early dinner. The following day we go to a park late morning.

Doing our first party this year, YAY!

What do you do the day of the party? Parks or no parks until party time?

What about the day after? We really want to rope drop HS the day after the party, but... I'm a little nervous about that! I'm not sure how much time to say we'll spend at the party, being that we are not late night people. I think the latest we'll make it to is 10:30-ish...

Whether we hit the parks before the party depends on whether or not we have park tickets. Last year we did not because we wanted to activate our APs the following day, so we went to Disney Springs and had a fabulous lunch at Homecomin', before entering the park at 4.

The year we are flying in that morning and since our AP's are active, we will spend the full day at the MK. We are having a late lunch at Tony's (2:30 pm) so we don't waste time eating during the party.

I am NOT a night owl by any stretch of the imagination, but we stayed until at least midnight last year at MNSSHP. There is so much going on and we didn't want to miss any of it. We watched the second parade and did a lot of rides and trick-or-treating. That said, I personally would NOT plan a rope-drop for the next day.

We are planning to sleep in the day of the party and laze around the pool. Maybe nap, and then head to the party for 4:00. Planning to stay until 11:30 to get our money's worth out of the expensive tickets :) The next day will be a sleep-in / no park day as well. With kids ranging from 5-14, this is what will work best for our family. Trying to avoid burn-out and grumpy children...

I would not use a regular park ticket on party day. We've done it both ways and resting the day of is a much better approach.

I would not plan on rope-dropping anything the day after. I know you estimated that 10:30 may be your limit. But, I encourage you to try to make it until midnight. The time between the end of the 2nd parade and park closing is the best time to tour on a party night.

Last year we did EP PPO at Garden Grill and stayed there until lunch time, went to Beaches & Cream for lunch and then headed back to our resort for a little rest before heading to MK at about 5:00. We did a dinner ADR just before the party started so that we were out and ready for the 7:00pm start. It was a rainy party and we had done one earlier in the trip as well, so we didn't stay until the bitter end, we left about 11pm. The next day we slept in and headed to our planned park mid morning. My son was 9 and probably had more energy than I did at 11pm.

This year, we have an EMM scheduled on the same day as one of our MNSSHP, which I'm a little nervous about. But we're doing two MNSSHPs again this year, so I figure if we need to cut out a bit early for one, no biggie. We will definitely do a pretty substantial mid day break after the EMM and hope that will recharge us enough. It's during the first half of our 10 day vacation, so I'm hoping that also helps because overall fatigue won't be an issue yet.

I will add, we're kidna nuts and I wouldn't recommend our go-go-go approach to Disney for everyone.

I don't think doing a park before the party is that big a deal, but I would avoid doing a rope drop type morning the next day, to me that would be far more tiring.

We always take a big break in the middle of the day. We'll hit a park early, stay until 11:00-noon, and then head back to the hotel to chill out. Then to the MK around 4-5:00, and party as long as the kids will let us. :)

Last fall, we did MNSSHP. We RD MK for the day. It was nice as it wasn't too crowded during the day. Used our FPs for ride and rode what we could. Watched a lot of shows and just had a calmer day. Ate early at LTT. Stayed in the park and got our bands. Stayed to watch the second stage show.
Really enjoyed the party.

Last year for MNSSHP it was just me and hubby we went to AK for 1/2 day of party and left a little after lunch we had FP for safari and FOP headed back to resort for a little nap and were in MK by 4. This year we are taking our granddaughter to MVMCP who will be almost 2 by then I think we are going to try the same do a little for 1/2 day and rest and go into by 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter