Pats - Giants game not on TV

Fortunately, I get channel 5 out of Boston. I feel sorry for those Patriot fans who don't. Unfortunately, for us die-hard pro football fans, I think the NFL Network is going to all there is in the not-too-distant future. Ticket prices are already out of range for many of us, and now we're going to have to pay for televised games. I guess that our only recourse is going to be listening to the game on the radio. Wow, back to the days when we only got the Giant games and there was no AFL.

dazed053.gif

This will be one of the few games in my lifetime that I'll actually want to see the Giants win! :teeth:

Kimya

The NFL Network & also the Big10 Network have some big stones. They want cable companies to pay them for their service, but not allow the cable company to recover that cost by charging for it :confused3 Then they say Oh we want it to be free for our "fans", WELL THEN GIVE IT to the cable companies for FREE!!

Does the NFL Network share advertising revenues with the cable companies, I doubt they do.

Fortunately, I get channel 5 out of Boston. I feel sorry for those Patriot fans who don't. Unfortunately, for us die-hard pro football fans, I think the NFL Network is going to all there is in the not-too-distant future. Ticket prices are already out of range for many of us, and now we're going to have to pay for televised games. I guess that our only recourse is going to be listening to the game on the radio. Wow, back to the days when we only got the Giant games and there was no AFL.

dazed053.gif

I hope you're wrong. That would be awful. I think the NFL would take a big hit in popularity if it became a pay-per-view sport. I watch the games every weekend, but with the exception of the Patriots, most likely wouldn't pay for other teams.

I like the idea of it in theory - Being able to watch any game that is being played. I can see the value in that. I can't see the value in having to pay for the only game being played or paying for your hometown team's games. It's not just the consumers and the NFL that would suffer, it's the networks.

keeping NFL Network off the basic cable line up reduces the value of the basic cable package, and lower value means lower prices.

I haven't noticed, but has the basic cable cost gone down since NFL went to sports tier?

To be fair, folks don't generally have to pay for hometown team games. The problem is that a lot of people consider a team their "hometown" team when in reality it isn't. The reality is that there are many areas that don't have a hometown team, so they "adopt" a nearby team -- but neither the league nor the networks ratify such adoptions. They're fictions people living in areas without pro teams create for themselves, and every so often that fact complicates things.

I haven't noticed, but has the basic cable cost gone down since NFL went to sports tier?
You should read the messages you reply to a little more carefully. Here's what I said again. If you need to, please ask for clarification.
keeping NFL Network off the basic cable line up reduces the value of the basic cable package, and lower value means lower prices.
Basic cable prices have not been raised to account for increases in how much the NFL now charges cable companies for NFL Network. Rest assured that if the cable companies did keep NFL Network on the basic tier, that that extra money that the NFL Network is now charging to cable companies will be passed along to consumers -- and not just football fans, but to all of us. So everyone will be paying these high prices NFL Network charges, even if they have no interest in the channel.

Sorry this is so long, but Peter King wrote an excellent article about the NFL Network/Cable company issue about a month ago. I think he presents each side pretty fairly.

Is it your inalienable right to have the NFL Network on your basic cable subscription? The NFL thinks so. Big Cable -- Time Warner Cable (Time Warner is the parent company of Time Warner Cable and Sports Illustrated) and Comcast, most notably -- think not.

We'll start to feel the heat on this issue Thursday night, when the first of eight games in 38 days is aired, a tepid matchup between Indianapolis and Atlanta (that lineup is the extent of live NFL football on the 24-hour NFL channel). The two referendum games come later, a month apart -- Green Bay at Dallas on Nov. 29, and New England at the Giants on Dec. 29.

The Green Bay-Dallas game will draw attention because this game for NFC supremacy and likely home-field advantage through the playoffs won't be seen on cable TV in either team's state capital; Madison and Austin don't have the NFL network on their cable systems.

The Patriots could be going for an undefeated regular season in week 17 at the Meadowlands, and 70 percent of the country with cable TV won't be able to watch because the big cable companies -- Time Warner and Comcast being the largest -- haven't reached a deal with the NFL to show the channel.

This is the second season with eight games on the fledgling network. The NFL eschewed a $400 million annual offer from Comcast to farm out the eight games before the 2006 season so the league could show them on its own network. Though the NFL has made deals with 240 smaller companies nationwide, most of the country is locked into Big Cable. And it's highly unlikely a deal will be made with either Time Warner or Comcast to break the logjam in time to show any or all of the eight games this year, though the Federal Communication Commission may force the two sides to binding arbitration after its monthly meeting in Washington on Nov. 27.

I want to lay out the two positions so you can have an opinion, if you want to have one. I've had a lot of people who won't see the games tell me, in essence: a pox on both their houses for not being able to figure out a fair way to give us the games.

I'll let Dallas owner Jerry Jones, the chairman of the league's broadcast committee, lay out his side, then you'll hear from the cable companies.

"We offer the cable company several minutes of advertising inventory on NFL Network. Every hour of every day they receive commercial time where they sell the ads and keep all the revenue. And in an effort to be better partners, we even set aside extra commercial inventory during our highly rated NFL games. Each cable operator gets 18 30-second ads during these games and they keep all the revenue from those too. Why do they have to charge the fans?

"Ask the fans this: Would you trade in three shopping channels, the Versus Network and Turner Classic Movies for the opportunity to have one channel in this country dedicated to football year-round? We offer a tremendous array of football-related content, the most popular programming in the country, and we do it for the cost to the cable operator of less than one movie ticket a year per subscriber. Would you rather go see one movie in the theater for two hours or have 24/7 year-round access to football?''

Big Cable clearly thinks the NFL Network is expensive niche programming, and disputes the league's claim it wouldn't have to raise rates if it took on the network. As one cable company official said to me: "The NFL wants us to show eight football games in six weeks, and then the rest of the year show a channel that has more repeats than ESPN News. They want us to do something that would force us to raise our rates. And quite frankly, there's been no groundswell from our customers to do this.''

I thought the fair thing might be to show how much money the cable companies are charged to carry some channels, just to put the stance of the NFL into some perspective. The firm SNL Financial, based in Charlottesville, Va., gathers financial data for the cable industry and provided me with these figures:

COST PER SUBSCRIBER HOUSEHOLD (per month)

Leading non-sports channels
TNT: 91 cents
Disney Channel: 83 cents
USA Network: 51 cents
CNN: 46 cents
TBS: 44 cents
Nickelodeon: 43 cents
FX: 36 cents

Leading sports channels
ESPN: $3.26
Fox Sports Net: $1.92
NFL Network: 80 cents
Fox College Sports: 63 cents
NHL Network: 51 cents
ESPN2: 46 cents
NBA TV: 36 cents

Keep in mind that this is an average. As Jones says, for mass distribution with the big companies, the NFL would likely make a deal with the cables for 60 or 65 cents per subscriber per month. One compromise offered by Time Warner but turned down by the NFL was to have the company make the eight games available on pay-per-view, with the NFL setting the pay-per-view price per game and collecting all revenue.

I expressed my disbelief to one cable analyst that cable companies viewed the value of the NFL Network almost double that of CNN, which has to be a staple of every cable system in the United States, with instantaneous coverage of wars and disasters worldwide. "You've got to understand one thing about sports and cable TV,'' the analyst said. "Sports rights fees are the one thing in the business that keep spiraling up and up, while the cost of a lot of these other channels, even the ones that seem so important, are remaining relatively flat.''

It still seems insane to me. Even the NHL Network -- and I don't even know what that is -- costs cable companies, on average, five cents more than CNN. NBA TV (36 cents per subscriber per month) is nine cents more than CNBC.

I have DirecTV, and, of course, the satellite carries the Network. But I don't watch the Network much, because I don't have time to watch much NFL programming other than games. Certainly I'll watch the games when they come on, beginning Thursday night. I heard Jim Nantz say on WFAN recently he doesn't have it in his Connecticut home, and my friend at ESPN.com, Len Pasquarelli, told me he doesn't watch it either.

I have nothing against it, and I'm sure I'm missing things by not watching the regular programming. But there's a sea of NFL programming on ESPN and Fox and everywhere else, and you could go blind watching it all. The NFL Network, it seems to me, would have a better case if it had more live events than eight games, the week at the NFL Scouting Combine and draft coverage.

You make the call. Who's to blame for you not having your games, cable America?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/11/18/week11/2.html

Thank you for the Channel 5 info. My brother was mentioning how disappointed he was that it wouldn't be on local TV. I'll be sure to pass him the info.

Thanks for the post by Peter King! FWIW, I'm a HUGE Versus fan. The are great about carrying Pro Bull Riding.

I love NFL Network, too. It would never be an either/or with me. However, we specifically didn't go with Dish because (at the time) they had dropped Versus.

I could care less about the shopping networks....

Wow. I didn't realize that NFL Network charges 57% more than USA Network. I knew the two respective prices, but never did the comparison. Shocking.

I wouldn't mind paying for NFL Network, by itself, but Comcast wants to make it available as part of a "sports tier" package. I'm not interested in the other sports channels and so will have to do without. I'll bet there are a lot of other customers who feel the same way I do. Amazing that they'll carry ESPN @$3.26 on basic, but not NFL @ $.80. :confused3 Guess I'll have to learn to do without Thursday night football.

Add me to the list of those who could care less about the shopping channels that are offered on basic cable. Sometimes I think we were better off when there was just 4 or 5 channels available. Now I have 100 channels of nothing and get the privilege of paying extra for it too!:rolleyes1

There have been virtually non-stop commercials, and 'reminders' that locally, in MA anyway, the game will be broadcast on Channel 5.

I'll say! Every time you've turned on Channel 5 for the past 3 weeks they've been hyping this. It feels like they mention it every 30 seconds during the news cast and show an ad for it at least once every 30 minutes!

Keep in mind that the shopping channels either (1) pay for the privilege of being on basic tier, rather than charging the cable company for carriage, or (2) buy local television stations and then invoke FCC must-carry provisions, thereby forcing the cable company to carry them on the basic tier.

I just got an e-mail from NFL.com:

Their "Field Pass" is $9.95 a month and you'd be able to watch the Pats game:

http://www.real.com/nfl?brand=nfl&pcode=email_122607

That says "LISTEN" to the games, not "WATCH", maybe a mistake in how they word it..

The Peter King article had me at "Jerry Jones", this is the same Jerry Jones that is selling PSL's for insane amounts this is copied from an article - The Cowboys began selling tickets to their new stadium in Arlington last week, and the prices floored some buyers. Lower-bowl seats will have one-time personal seat license (PSL) fees between $16,000 and $150,000, which will give each ticket-holder the right to purchase seats at the stadium for the next 30 years. Those who pay the license fees will have to fork over $340 per ticket for 10 games -- eight regular-season, two preseason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter