• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Peloton Ad

He could be a trust fund baby. I mean - how else can someone that young afford a house that expensive? But yeah - I get that it's unrealistic and probably meant either for older people who want to associate with youthfulness or for younger people who aspire to upward mobility.
How else can someone that young afford all that? It is what they expect upon graduating college with a gender studies degree. They expect to own the huge McMansion with 2 $60,000 vehicles in the driveway.

As for the Peloton, their market isn't overweight people. Heck, the weight capacity is only 305 lb. on that. Their market for a $2000 spin bike is people who put their $10,000 bicycles way in the winter.

As for thin does not equal fit, absolutely. There certainly is a chance someone could keep up from here, but at 245 pounds, I do challenge anyone to keep up with me on a bicycle. Next year I'll do it again and take you along, 11 nights sleeping on the ground in a tent riding around Lake Ontario on a 120 lb bicycle and gear for 600 miles. Just as long as you don't do what I did and look up asking, why is my 120 pounds of bicycle and gear up above my head, oh, this is going to hurt...." LOL.

Ah, OK, guess I really am simple. I'd have never seen that angle. I'm not into social media or stuff like that. When I watched that ad I simply see a woman who is nervous about starting a new exercise routine, goes through the normal challenges of getting into it (such as getting up at 6am) and then being very appreciative of how she really enjoys exercising and how much better she feels one year later...and she is documenting the journey, just like people keep exercise logs. Told ya I was simple. :D
Oh the horrors of being able to sleep in an hour and a half and get up and be able to do a workout before work, :rotfl2:

Huh??? You're kidding, right? Exercise and nutrition go hand in hand when it comes to health. Yes, the kitchen is very important, but so is exercise.
As I said, I certainly get more than my fair share of cardio exercise doing week long bicycle tours in the summers. If exercise had even a little bit of help, I wouldn't be 245 lb. I always said it was 90% diet and 10% exercise, but I get more than most people who daily ride, riding for days at a time 10-12 hours a day. Heck, the closest to reality calorie metric I had, the bicycle computer, giving me around 300 calories an hour puts me in the burning 3000-3500 calories a day just from the cycling. I typically come back from 5 or 6 days of 70 miles a day a few pounds heavier!

How else can someone that young afford all that? It is what they expect upon graduating college with a gender studies degree. They expect to own the huge McMansion with 2 $60,000 vehicles in the driveway.

I see it here where a new college grad scoring a six-figure starting salary can't afford a 3 bedroom house that probably costs twice as much as a designer house in another part of the US.

Find me anything to support weight loss via working out with no diet intervention. It doesn’t work. It’s a myth. It keeps gyms in business with their seasonal sign up of folks every year that want to lose weight.

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

Your first comment, to remind you, was "Of course, exercise has very little to do with weight loss." That statement is so absurd it's hardly even worth responding. Exercise, along with nutrition, are key to being healthy.

Then you said "You have to do a whole lot of exercise to offset food. If this really worked, you wouldn’t have anybody in high school obese since they’re doing gym class every day. It’s great for strength and your heart. Does nothing really for weight loss."

First, not sure what kind of food you're talking about, but regardless food and exercise should not "offset" each other. They should compliment each other. Some foods are more calorie dense than others. It's knowing which ones are the right ones, in the right amount. High school obesity has almost nothing to do with school PE, good grief. And yeah, weight training has a TON to do with getting healthy. It's far better than pure cardio.

You seem fixated on "weight loss" and "diet". As I've said, and mrodgers also illustrated, it's not a number on a scale. Nor is it "diet". At all. DW weighs more than that woman in the Peleton commercial, and is probably 15-20 years older. I guarantee DW would leave that young lady laying in a pool of sweat in the gym. Muscle by it's nature burns weighs more than an equal volume of fat. It also burns a heck of a lot more calories. So having muscle actually makes it a ton easier to "offset" that food you speak of anyway.

Wow, this is all wrong on so many levels, I wouldn't even know where to start. I almost think you're just trolling. And, FYI, the number on the scale is not a good indicator of health...
You have to know what caloric burn rate exercise gives you. Most people go with what the equipment says in the gym and that is why there are a lot of overweight people trying to lose weight and failing or just giving up altogether. Typical gym equipment will give you numbers like 1300 calories for 45 minutes on a treadmill, then people think that they can eat a 460 calorie Snickers bar because they burned 1300 calories when in reality, they probably burned 200 calories and it would take over 2 hours of exercise just to counter that Snicker's bar.

It is a real eye opener when you actually count calories and understand what true calorie burn during exercise is. It's a shock when you learn that since you ate a single bag of Doritos for lunch and had a slice of cake after dinner that you need to exercise 5 freaking hours to burn that off.

Oh the horrors of being able to sleep in an hour and a half and get up and be able to do a workout before work, :rotfl2:

Seriously. We get up at 4am so we can go to the gym. Sleeping until 6am would be bliss for me.

As I said, I certainly get more than my fair share of cardio exercise doing week long bicycle tours in the summers. If exercise had even a little bit of help, I wouldn't be 245 lb. I always said it was 90% diet and 10% exercise, but I get more than most people who daily ride, riding for days at a time 10-12 hours a day. Heck, the closest to reality calorie metric I had, the bicycle computer, giving me around 300 calories an hour puts me in the burning 3000-3500 calories a day just from the cycling. I typically come back from 5 or 6 days of 70 miles a day a few pounds heavier!

You've got a lot of lbs on me, I'm a fairly skinny guy. What weight I have is mostly muscle, I'm pretty lean. My workout is about 75/25 weights/cardio. Calorie intake is about 2500/day, except for cheat meal day. The biggest thing, IMO, that's 90% diet and 10% exercise is a 6 pack. Those are hard. I've got somewhat of one, but am too old to care about the full washboard. :D

Depends on how long you're doing it.

That's why I don't particularly like gyms. They seem kind of boring to be there long enough to really burn a lot of calories. At least at a time when was getting more exercise, at various times in my life I'd go bike riding with plenty of hills. Hiking for 5-8 hours in hilly terrain was also burning a lot of calories, especially going backpacking with 40 lbs on my back. And diet planning wasn't about healthy foods, but packing enough calories in a bear canister to last for a multi-day trip.

But isn't the secret not really all that secret? Eat less. Exercise more. Do it for the rest of your life.

You've got a lot of lbs on me, I'm a fairly skinny guy. What weight I have is mostly muscle, I'm pretty lean. My workout is about 75/25 weights/cardio. Calorie intake is about 2500/day, except for cheat meal day. The biggest thing, IMO, that's 90% diet and 10% exercise is a 6 pack. Those are hard. I've got somewhat of one, but am too old to care about the full washboard. :D

Building abs the easy part. They can be hiding under fat, and to get the cut "look" requires dieting that makes most people miserable.

I remember some comic book that showed something that most people don't think about. It was a bad guy character who was somewhat obese, but still strong, and a skilled martial artist. There was a scene where he was shown shirtless sparring, and he was drawn with abs sort of peeking out under all the fat.

That doesn’t really answer the question I’m asking. I do get your point of view though. My DH once wanted surprise me with a high dollar stereo system and I put the kabosh on that when I found out. People seem outraged that a man would buy his wife an exercise bike implying all sorts of negative things. They don’t seem worked up over the price. I want to know if all those negative things would be assumed or implied if it were a man receiving the bike from his wife. (Let’s just assume they can afford a surprise like that)

One year my DH bought me a DustBuster. I had toddler twins. I jumped up and kissed him. I maintain to this day that’s one of the best gifts I’ve ever received. When it finally crapped out about ten years later I bought another one.

I thought the other poster was pretty clear. Buying exercise equipment for anyone is a bad idea if they have not expressed an interest in it. For both it implies that your spouse thinks you need to work out, regardless of whether you want to or not. The high price of a Peloton makes it even worse, unless you're rich enough that it's not a significant expense.

I've "heard" that you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. You can't really out-exercise a bad diet, well most of us can't anyway. Woohoo I did a 30 minute walk on the treadmill, I'll have pizza and donuts now. = Doesn't work that way.

Eat less. Exercise more. Do it for the rest of your life.
Not necessarily.

Some people eat less but they replace the less portion with terrible food for their body. Some people already ate less than they probably should. Some people eat too little and their body ends up storing more fat because of that.

Too much exercise can also be bad.

I would say the more general advice is that most of us need to learn to eat better (as in portion control, better types of food that do better for our bodies) and be more active in general as we've become more sedentary over time. That doesn't mean we should all be fitness addicts (which is actually something you see for some people) on tightly controlled food regiments (both of which for people can actually do more harm to their bodies than good).

I did a 30 minute walk on the treadmill, I'll have pizza and donuts now. = Doesn't work that way.

Say what?? 🤯

raw

Not necessarily.

Some people eat less but they replace the less portion with terrible food for their body. Some people already ate less than they probably should. Some people eat too little and their body ends up storing more fat because of that.

Too much exercise can also be bad.

I would say the more general advice is that most of us need to learn to eat better (as in portion control, better types of food that do better for our bodies) and be more active in general as we've become more sedentary over time. That doesn't mean we should all be fitness addicts (which is actually something you see for some people) on tightly controlled food regiments (both of which for people can actually do more harm to their bodies than good).

It was really just more of a simplification. However, that really is the key to maintaining a reasonable weight.

And absolutely too much exercise can be bad. The muscles actually start breaking down from high-intensity work. Supposedly the reason why many take steroids or HGH - to be able to exercise more without the muscle breakdown.

A lot of extreme "fitness addicts" are probably hurting their health if it's about getting that "look". Extreme dieting is never healthy and certainly not about fitness.

Depends on how long you're doing it.

That's why I don't particularly like gyms. They seem kind of boring to be there long enough to really burn a lot of calories. At least at a time when was getting more exercise, at various times in my life I'd go bike riding with plenty of hills. Hiking for 5-8 hours in hilly terrain was also burning a lot of calories, especially going backpacking with 40 lbs on my back. And diet planning wasn't about healthy foods, but packing enough calories in a bear canister to last for a multi-day trip.

But isn't the secret not really all that secret? Eat less. Exercise more. Do it for the rest of your life.

No, no and no. It's not eat less, exercise more. That's a dramatic oversimplification to say the least. Nor do you have to be in a gym a long time to burn calories. That's a complete myth, and a horrible one. When you do weight training, your body will be at an elevated calorie burn rate for a while after you leave the gym. Plus, muscle will burn calories 24/7/365.

I thought the other poster was pretty clear. Buying exercise equipment for anyone is a bad idea if they have not expressed an interest in it. For both it implies that your spouse thinks you need to work out, regardless of whether you want to or not. The high price of a Peloton makes it even worse, unless you're rich enough that it's not a significant expense.
I guess I’ll have to be more clear. People aren’t outraged over the price of this thing. They’re outraged at what they perceive as commentary on a woman’s body. Implications that her husband thinks she needs to be thinner, that she’s not good enough, he’s abusive etc. because he bought her an exercise bike. I want to know if people would associate those things with a man getting an exercise bike. *I* suspect not. I think people would assume he wanted the bike, that he WANTS to be fitter and/or she’s concerned about his health. I don’t think it would be on anyone’s radar at all if the roles were reversed.

The only people I know personally with these bikes are women, they thought long and hard, reaching out on social media to see if they are worth the price, they post often about their rides, just like those who joined orange theory, but that is more of a mix of male female.

When I first saw the add, I kind of just rolled my eyes. Exercising and blogging first thing in the morning isn’t my cup of tea. My DH saw it and thought it was stupid. BUT it’s turning out to be pretty ingenious for the amount of free publicity it has created. In the marketing world, it doesn’t matter if it’s bad or good publicity. Peloton is now a name I recognize!

When I first saw the add, I kind of just rolled my eyes. Exercising and blogging first thing in the morning isn’t my cup of tea. My DH saw it and thought it was stupid. BUT it’s turning out to be pretty ingenious for the amount of free publicity it has created. In the marketing world, it doesn’t matter if it’s bad or good publicity. Peloton is now a name I recognize!

it's gotten publicity, but its stock has also dropped, so it's not all good.

When I see commercials for high priced items like this (cars, jewelry) I wonder who they are marketing towards? Assuming it's the upper class. It's already been discussed here and in other articles about how much the bike costs in comparison to the average American salary. So clearly there's a whole section of the population that is not the intended audience, even with a payment plan. Then there's the placement of the bike. Yes, I'm going to put the bike in my immaculately cleaned home with floor to ceiling windows, with a prime view for everyone to see.

IMO if they didn't want to be mocked they would have either used someone with a different body or started her fitness goal at the start of her journey so that there was a point. Otherwise we get what has been discussed everywhere: abuse, thin and wanting to be thinner, etc.

One of Peloton's guiding principals is that the bike is supposed to be an attractive piece of design that is pretty enough to display. Their whole raison d'être is "fitness" as status symbol. The whole point of owning one is showing other people that you own one. There are many, many other brands of exercise bike that are functionally just as good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter