Penguin Encounter at SeaWorld

In addition to the "Penguin Spotlight Tour," you also get to pet a penguin on the "Behind the Scenes Tour." Obviously, you get to spend more time with the penguins on the penguin tour. We just did the Behind the Scenes tour and we got to pet a penguin and spend about 15 minutes inside the smaller exhibit talking with the trainer(?) and our tour guide.

Hi all,
Can someone please confirm that the SeaWorld Orlando's Penguins Up-Close Tour is the one where you get to go into the enclosure itself.
My wife is Penguin Mad and we have been on the tour where you got to touch a penguin but she really really really - did I say really - wants to go into the enclosure and see them there. This will be an early birthday pressie.

Link to the tours: http://commerce.4adventure.com/eStore/scripts/skins/swf/Tours.aspx

The one I believe I need to book is the Penguins Up-Close, did this used to be called the Spotlight Tour?

Hi all,
Can someone please confirm that the SeaWorld Orlando's Penguins Up-Close Tour is the one where you get to go into the enclosure itself.
My wife is Penguin Mad and we have been on the tour where you got to touch a penguin but she really really really - did I say really - wants to go into the enclosure and see them there. This will be an early birthday pressie.

Link to the tours: http://commerce.4adventure.com/eStore/scripts/skins/swf/Tours.aspx

The one I believe I need to book is the Penguins Up-Close, did this used to be called the Spotlight Tour?

Any one, please, I need to book it within the next week so any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup2

I looked at the website but couldn't find the times so I booked over the phone (they still didn't tell me the time...didn't find out till we got there).

I took my neice of 19 years of age with me. Penguins are her favorite animal. When I signed up for it on the Sea World website, they gave me the option of taking the first or second tour. I chose the second one. I didn't really find out the times until we were signing in at guest services. My neice didn't know she was going until I signed in at guest services. That was her first suprise that trip.

Any one, please, I need to book it within the next week so any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup2

I booked through seaworld.com. It was easy to book and they emailed me my receipt which I took with me. I had no trouble at guest services as my name was already in their computer system. Look on Sea World's website to purchase tours. You can purchase them in advance. I purchased them a week in advance.:cool1:

I just need one more post to post pictures.

I booked through seaworld.com. It was easy to book and they emailed me my receipt which I took with me. I had no trouble at guest services as my name was already in their computer system. Look on Sea World's website to purchase tours. You can purchase them in advance. I purchased them a week in advance.:cool1:

I just need one more post to post pictures.

Thanks for the reply. HOwever I am still stuck in trying to confirm the tour I actually want to book.

Can anyone please confirm that the SeaWorld Orlando's Penguins Up-Close Tour is the one where you get to go into the actual penguin enclosure.

Pretty please :thumbsup2

(PS now you can reply and get your one more post so you can post pictures)

we went into the enclosure, but only the entrance.
there is a gate that you cannot go past.

you are on the fringe of the public viewing area.

we went into the enclosure, but only the entrance.
there is a gate that you cannot go past.

you are on the fringe of the public viewing area.

That's great, that is the tour I want to book - However what was this tour called please? :cool1:

In addition to the "Penguin Spotlight Tour," you also get to pet a penguin on the "Behind the Scenes Tour." Obviously, you get to spend more time with the penguins on the penguin tour. We just did the Behind the Scenes tour and we got to pet a penguin and spend about 15 minutes inside the smaller exhibit talking with the trainer(?) and our tour guide.

Did you enjoy the Behind the Scenes tour? I was thinking about choosing this over the Penguin Spotlight because :
1- Behind the Scenes is cheaper.
2- It is 30 minutes longer.
3- You get to pet a shark, touch a penguin, and explore a polar bear den.

Our boys are 7 and 8. I thought it might keep their attention more than just penguins. What do you think?

Your choice is more dependent on how much penguin interaction you want.

The backstage tour does offer a penguin segment but it's about 15-20 mins of the tour. When we did the backstage tour the guide held the small penguin (not an emperor penguin) in his lap and let us stand beside it while we pet the penguin's back. They also let us take pics. The strictly penguin tour lets you see into the back of the large penguin area that you see from the exhibit; for the backstage tour penguin segment we were in an enclosed room in the back without a view of the exhibit at all...

Having said that, we took the backstage tour in April 2009 and enjoyed it alot. They pack alot into that tour. I have some pics of the shark that you're able to pet (it's in a smallish aquarium size tank, not a huge shark or anything) as well as the polar bear enclosure but am unsure how to post them...if you want to see them, let me know and hopefully someone can help me with that :)

We did enjoy the Behind the Scenes tour. We started by walking into the backstage area and looking at some of the "rehab" areas. This was pools and such where they temporarily kept turtles, dolphins, and manatees. The guide told us about Seaworld's rehab efforts and what was going on with some of the animals currently in the tank.

We then hopped on the bus and went to the Shark area. This was a little room with lots of info about sharks on the walls. There was a small tank with a couple of the little sharks inside. We were able to reach in and do the two-finger touch and the guide talked about the sharks.

The we got back on the bus and went to the polar bear area. We went into a small room on the back side of the exhibit. One wall of the room was "glass" and shared with the back room of the polar bear exhibit. We watched the bear that was currently in that room (can't be seen by the general public) and the guide talked and answered questions. The room we were in had information and a few interactive things.

Lastly, we went to the penguin exhibit. We walked into a smaller penguin area (not the one out front) and spoke with the Trainer/Penguin Lady. She told us lots about the penguins and explained how we would get to pet and take a picture with one. This room was divided in two: One area where we stood and where she brought the penguin to us. The other was where all the penguins were hanging out. There was a dividing wall about waist high. We hung out in here for a long time. We only got to pet the one penguin, but we got to look fairly up close with the others. We did not go into the specific enclosure where the penguins were walking up to us.

This was a good way to spend a little time in several places and learn a little about several different animals. Our tour group was only 6 people and our guide was really great. It was a cheaper tour than the Penguin only tour ( especially since we did the AAA buy-one-get-one deal).

We did enjoy the Behind the Scenes tour. We started by walking into the backstage area and looking at some of the "rehab" areas. This was pools and such where they temporarily kept turtles, dolphins, and manatees. The guide told us about Seaworld's rehab efforts and what was going on with some of the animals currently in the tank.

We then hopped on the bus and went to the Shark area. This was a little room with lots of info about sharks on the walls. There was a small tank with a couple of the little sharks inside. We were able to reach in and do the two-finger touch and the guide talked about the sharks.

The we got back on the bus and went to the polar bear area. We went into a small room on the back side of the exhibit. One wall of the room was "glass" and shared with the back room of the polar bear exhibit. We watched the bear that was currently in that room (can't be seen by the general public) and the guide talked and answered questions. The room we were in had information and a few interactive things.

Lastly, we went to the penguin exhibit. We walked into a smaller penguin area (not the one out front) and spoke with the Trainer/Penguin Lady. She told us lots about the penguins and explained how we would get to pet and take a picture with one. This room was divided in two: One area where we stood and where she brought the penguin to us. The other was where all the penguins were hanging out. There was a dividing wall about waist high. We hung out in here for a long time. We only got to pet the one penguin, but we got to look fairly up close with the others. We did not go into the specific enclosure where the penguins were walking up to us.

This was a good way to spend a little time in several places and learn a little about several different animals. Our tour group was only 6 people and our guide was really great. It was a cheaper tour than the Penguin only tour ( especially since we did the AAA buy-one-get-one deal).

Sounds great. Can I ask please, we are from the UK, and have the equivalent of the AAA card (in our case AA card :lmao:). How do you find out what discounts you get on any of the tours. Many thanks

Thanks for the details of the tours. I can't decide which one. I want to do both. I think it might be better for the boys to have several different animals to look at but spending the whole time with the penguins would be so much fun.
bnlhockey- pictures would be great if it is not too much trouble. Thanks.

Sounds great. Can I ask please, we are from the UK, and have the equivalent of the AAA card (in our case AA card :lmao:). How do you find out what discounts you get on any of the tours. Many thanks

For me, I just went to our local AAA website and clicked to buy tickets. The page listed all of the current deals. I went in to the office to buy the tickets to make 100% sure I was getting the right thing. You can try searching for your local organization's website or calling them directly and asking. I'm not sure, however, that they will have specific Disney World or Sea World discounts.

Thanks for the details of the tours. I can't decide which one. I want to do both. I think it might be better for the boys to have several different animals to look at but spending the whole time with the penguins would be so much fun.
bnlhockey- pictures would be great if it is not too much trouble. Thanks.

Here are some pics from the backstage tour:

the shark that you are able to pet by running 2 fingers down its back

seaworld039.jpg

the polar bear den - sorry for the dark/blurry pics, very hard to take pics in here, it's lowly lit and the glass is super-reflective

DadspicsSeaWorldandCody023.jpg

seaworld043.jpg

the penguin that you are able to pet - when the penguin was walking out of this area, he walked through a puddle and left 'penguin' tracks - very cute :)

seaworld052.jpg

seaworld065.jpg

Sorry again about the blurry/dark polar bear pics, between my Dad and me these were the best pics...

Thanks for posting the pics, bnlhockey. :goodvibes

I'm also having trouble deciding between the Penguin and Backstage tours. :confused3

my db has booked the penguin encounter for my 40th birthday.I know he paid $40 each for us and $30 for dd. I really hope this is the penguin only tour as I well up even seeing one on the TV:sad: I adore them. Please tell me its the right one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter