People clueless about park reservations

LOL yes we cruise alot. Have an upcoming cruise and every line requires a neg covid test to board. In cruise forum I go to, someone just realized they need the test. The cruise line sends you an email notice of the test requirement. Plus anyplace you look online has info on the requirement.

If people are this clueless about traveling, I don't know how they function in their everyday life.
My example was about identification, but I think yours is more timely /better.

A whole lot of people DON'T function well in their everyday lives.
Yes, it is ridiculous, but in these times, it is not out of the realm of possibility. Just like how we used to be able to just show up to a museum, buy a ticket and go in But we can't do that anymore at a lot of them around the world ... But I don't want to spend thousands of dollars and fly across an ocean just to get there and stumble around like a buffoon because I couldn't be bothered to do my research.
I don't disagree ... doing your research is just smart, but a whole lot of people just won't /don't bother with.

Here's an example: A co-worker is -- at this very moment -- in Washington DC. I've been to DC several times recently, so I thought I'd be helpful and suggested some places we ate, some hints about museums, etc. He shut me down, saying he didn't want any information. He said -- and this makes no sense -- "I have plenty of money to spend on this trip, so I don't need to plan anything. I can afford to do whatever interests me at the time." This from a college-educated co-worker. Since the comment was utterly stupid, I just wished him a good trip and dropped it.
It has become so confusing booking a visit to Disney and because of that I've really lost my interest in going.
Yeah, I was planning a trip with my adult children, but they said it was "too much". They chose Yellowstone instead.

I second this.

And it's not being "dramatic", it's about streamlining things for people when you're paying a TON of money. Some people simply don't understand that if they've bought tickets for a certain time that it's not the same as reservations to get into the park. Not forcing people to pick initial dates (and allowing them to be changed later) is a failure on Disney's part. I don't know why we should defend a giant, profit-based corporation making it easy for people to fall through the cracks because they're too lazy/cheap to improve their booking system.

From reading the boards, it seems like you basically can't get food unless you've made reservations months in advance. I wouldn't have known that as an "average person". The last time I was there these sorts of things weren't a "thing". Now it seems like you have to have everything planned and scheduled at least half a year ahead of time. Life doesn't work that way, and a vacation certainly shouldn't. Things happen, you can't control when you get hungry. What's next, scheduled bathroom times?
I was referring to the statement that making the reservations was "overly difficult". It is annoying, but not actually difficult to make them. Some of you are acting as if you have to solve complicated math equations instead of clicking on what park to go to. And people exaggerate. No one is starving to death because they didn't make their reservations months in advance. We were there in most recently in February and had no issues finding places to eat, even at the sit down restaurants. We walked up to some, made reservations in advance for some, and even got reservations the day before for some. And why "doesn't it work that way", because you say that it shouldn't? I don't get this mentality. You are confusing what you would want it to be like with the reality that WDW is an extremely popular and busy place. Again, the level of exaggeration in your post is laughable. You all seem to want to have it both ways. For them to get rid of the reservation system and just keep letting people in, but then you also want them to limit the crowds because it is too busy and you can't even get food. I don't think that they can do anything to make some of you happy at this point.

So you hope they are competent? If they do not know this about a place they are sending thier clients, they would not only be incompetent, but moronic.

Better not try to book with them for a trip to Mexico, you might end up in a Cartel area.
I honestly don't know yet-they might be totally on top of it and doing a fantastic job. But this thread has prompted me to try and find out!

Going to a museum or zoo that has entry times is not the same. At WDW you have to worry about restaurants and parties and genii and so on. I used to plan which park based on the ADRs and FP+ available. Park reservations just adds another layer of planning to something that already required a lot of planning.

I am an old lady and I was able to figure out the reservation system after reading through it a couple of times. But it upsets me that I pay an exorbitant sum for park hoppers but cannot hop until Disney tells me I can. And I haven't been able to make dining reservations for our party of eight anywhere. The system stinks.

I am not wild about the reservation system but, for the most part, whatever. It's fine. I am a little unclear why making a park reservation is so much better from a managerial perspective than making FP+ 60 days in advance but whatever. I imagine there were a good chunk of people entering the ark every day that didn't use FP+ at all and by the time they introduced the park reservation system they probably knew that FP+ was on its way out anyway.

But I agree, what really chaps my behind is the lack of park hopping until 2 PM. I will make a park reservation for my first park and likely even enter it. But why must I wait until 2 to go to another park? If it is New Year's Eve or something then I get it but why, in late August (so, not a traditionally busy time) must I wait until 2?

I was referring to the statement that making the reservations was "overly difficult". It is annoying, but not actually difficult to make them. Some of you are acting as if you have to solve complicated math equations instead of clicking on what park to go to. And people exaggerate. No one is starving to death because they didn't make their reservations months in advance. We were there in most recently in February and had no issues finding places to eat, even at the sit down restaurants. We walked up to some, made reservations in advance for some, and even got reservations the day before for some. And why "doesn't it work that way", because you say that it shouldn't? I don't get this mentality. You are confusing what you would want it to be like with the reality that WDW is an extremely popular and busy place. Again, the level of exaggeration in your post is laughable. You all seem to want to have it both ways. For them to get rid of the reservation system and just keep letting people in, but then you also want them to limit the crowds because it is too busy and you can't even get food. I don't think that they can do anything to make some of you happy at this point.

The only thing that's annoying about that is the fact that Disney pretty much packs the parks even with reservations. It would be a bit easier to swallow (and perhaps even a positive) if it actually improved the park experience. Right now it doesn't make sense as it just adds another layer of "planning" with no benefit for the guests.

And why are so many people becoming upset at other people's opinions to the extent of being condescending? I can't believe how much it happens here, it's a bit nauseating. We are all Disney fans here, even if not everyone is good at math. lol

Have you been reading my comments? I don't feel like you have because I have def. mentioned multiple times about annoying/confusing, etc. Please understand there was no credibility I was arguing against because that was never my stance in the first place (to say that it's not more complicated).

I've been on the DIS since 2015..since then I've heard it's more complicated than it needs to be by many many posters. This isn't new that Disney does things the hard way. But in the past it was about making dinner reservations 6 months in advance because who the heck knows what they want to eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner that far in advance. Then it was how do I know I want to ride this ride on a Tuesday afternoon 2 months from now. Heck I'm sure there are people who don't understand why you need to go to the TTC before going to MK (aside from buses) like just get me to the entrance of the park please. I've been on record saying I have no idea why they decided to do Genie+ instead of just straight up monetizing FP or by incorporating a system more like Universal.

What I have almost always said though is that Disney's website while clunky in pace because they put so much graphics on it and its stability is horrible (stich ate the page one too many times), they have provided the information. But to me it's a fairly intuitive website. I know others disagree but I'm an inquisitive person, if I see something in bold I pay attention, if I see something that is a hyperlink I know I can click on it. And the discussion when I made that comment was about when you book your tickets someone would just assume they were making a park reservation at the same time but when you actually go through Disney's website it tells you multiple times your ticket is good for whatever days you were going to be purchased for from this date to this date. Logically no you can't say you have a park pass for 9 days when you only bought a 6 day ticket.
I read through the whole thread, but didn't track who said what, because it's a message board and I'm not here for that kind of work ;) But yes, I know what you mean. My point was (and I should have explained better) that the fact you had to explain to someone that they had it wrong HERE is a good indication that your average person is going to have a hard time with it... especially non-techs. Though the information may be on there, reading comprehension is really difficult for a lot of people. Disney often doesn't make it easy to understand, but the whole process is much harder than it needs to be all around. They wouldn't need so much explanation if they implemented an easy system to begin with.

I'm not sure you understand what I've been trying to say. I've avoided Disney for a long time. I haven't had the money to vacation, and I have multiple jobs... but even if I did have the money to go, I'd pick somewhere else, because I don't want to have to plan everything 6 months out. I like to have a rough plan but I also like to have some flexibility and from what I hear on the boards that's not a thing anymore.

But I wasn't talking about "me". I've seen people complaining on the boards that they couldn't find a place to eat because they didn't book it in advance. My complaint is not about the crowds (I have no idea what the crowds are like, I haven't been near the park in years), my complaint is that for some people that's a huge problem. I have family/friends who can't even process an Amazon order because it's "too complicated". Imagine these people trying to plan a Disney vacation with all the hoops you have to jump through now. It wouldn't be hard for Disney to implement a system where a set of dates needs to be picked when booking the ticket. Sure, give people the ability to change them later if they choose, but make it so dates are always attached to the tickets. I'm not a fan of park reservations in general, but if they're going to do it them then make it "idiot-proof" (as my Dad likes to say). It's about understanding that there are a lot of people that have trouble wrapping their heads around things, and not just saying "too bad for you".

I must be in the minority thinking that a WDW trip now requires less planning.

Pre-COVID, I would make my initial reservations at least 7 months in advance so that I could plan which days I was going where so I had a plan for ADR's at 6 months out. Then I had 4 months to plan my days so that at 2 months out, I could make the perfect FP's.
Post re-opening, I made the initial reservation only 3 months in advance & had a month to decide our day-by-day plan so that at 2 months out, I made our park reservations & ADR's. Our first return trip, we used Genie+, and hated it, so on our most recent trip (December 2021), I didn't use it, mostly kept my phone put away, and just had fun.

All that to say, the park reservations changed nothing for me since I was already planning which days we were going to which parks so I could line up ADR's six months out. At least now, a planner doesn't have to decide as early their day-by-day plan (six months then, two months now).

Daily we see news articles,forums posts and family's just failing to lock in park reservations. Disney needs to make a video and embed it on the main site when buying tickets/packages.

There is zero reason why anyone should not know this is a requirement now. When booking for a big party this video can be sent to family or a mailer sent if you want to older folks explaining the new systems.

The PR team is actively trying to hide this in there promos and I understand but in the end folks show up and can't even go to the park and that's the worst kinda pr.

Either scrap the system or actually force feed the info onto everyone. Disney do better.
This is such a great idea! However, I am not convinced the folks who run Disney websites would be able to embed a video....

For those confused and/or complaining about the park reservations, have you actually taken a trip with them?
They might sound rough on the outside, but once you actually go though the process (seeing the banners/warnings as you buy tickets, receiving the emails leading up to your trip), having some first hand experience might change your mind. They're really had to NOT know about when you are booking/have booked a trip.

Daily we see news articles,forums posts and family's just failing to lock in park reservations. Disney needs to make a video and embed it on the main site when buying tickets/packages.

There is zero reason why anyone should not know this is a requirement now. When booking for a big party this video can be sent to family or a mailer sent if you want to older folks explaining the new systems.

The PR team is actively trying to hide this in there promos and I understand but in the end folks show up and can't even go to the park and that's the worst kinda pr.

Either scrap the system or actually force feed the info onto everyone. Disney do better.
Hiding the fact that you need a park reservation? I am not seeing that it is very clear that you need one. If you are not doing that it is on you because it is out there load and clear!

Going to a museum or zoo that has entry times is not the same. At WDW you have to worry about restaurants and parties and genii and so on. I used to plan which park based on the ADRs and FP+ available. Park reservations just adds another layer of planning to something that already required a lot of planning.

Park reservations just replaced the FP+ planning.

I don't like having to make park reservations, but it is in no way difficult and Disney clearly states that they are required all over their website. People need to take some responsibility for their own trips.

Pre-COVID, I would make my initial reservations at least 7 months in advance so that I could plan which days I was going where so I had a plan for ADR's at 6 months out. Then I had 4 months to plan my days so that at 2 months out, I could make the perfect FP's.
Post re-opening, I made the initial reservation only 3 months in advance & had a month to decide our day-by-day plan so that at 2 months out, I made our park reservations & ADR's. Our first return trip, we used Genie+, and hated it, so on our most recent trip (December 2021), I didn't use it, mostly kept my phone put away, and just had fun.

All that to say, the park reservations changed nothing for me since I was already planning which days we were going to which parks so I could line up ADR's six months out. At least now, a planner doesn't have to decide as early their day-by-day plan (six months then, two months now).
You are 100% right. I hate the idea of having to plan which rides to go on 2 months in advance, it's so minuscule it's ridiculous to me and one of the reasons I haven't gone to WDW in a while. But choosing a date for my trip and making a reservation for that is so easy. It's literally just choosing the date you wanna go which almost everyone not local would have to do in advance anyways.

Well I disagree. Let’s choose a park so we can insure to
ride a few favorites. Next up dining…well but we need to change our schedule…no park availability. Now let’s do LL. it doesn’t flow with park plans OR dining ressies and OMG…my kid is throwing up or ride closure due to storms, etc etc. oh don’t forget availability for LLis almost Is almost nonexistent if you park hop. All your planning and vacation $$$$$ down the toilet. You also need to add time for the multiple trips to GS and/or Blue Umbrella you may or may nor receive a satisfactory resolution to the problem. You just roll the dice.

I need a week of downtime to recover from our “vacation”. Sad thing is I’m an experienced traveler ESPECIALLY DISNEY.

It’s one dumpster fire after another right now.

Last edited:

Well Zi do disagree. Let’s choose a park do we are insure we ride a few favorites. Next up dining…well but we need to change our schedule…no park availability. Now let’s do LL. it doesn’t flow with park plans OR fining ressies and OMG…my kid is throwing up or ride closure due to storms, etc etc. oh don’t forget availability for LLis almost Is almost nonexistent if you park hop. All your planning and vacation $$$$$ down the toilet. You also need to add time for the multiple trips to GS and/or Blue Umbrella you may or may nor receive a satisfactory resolution to the problem. You just roll the dice.

I need a week of downtime to recover from our “vacation”. Sad thing is I’m an experienced traveler ESPECIALLY DISNEY.

It’s one dumpster fire after another right now.

It requires less advanced planning than before, but that makes the trip itself more stressful.

My point was (and I should have explained better) that the fact you had to explain to someone that they had it wrong HERE is a good indication that your average person is going to have a hard time with it... especially non-techs.
I don't disagree with you on this in principle but I do disagree with you on the exact conversation going on not just with park reservations but with how many days you have to use your ticket.

Everyone makes oops, or misremembers (or in the case of the UK poster providing clarity how it can be for UK visitors) but that in itself doesn't mean the system, which is the park reservations in this case, is broken.

At least for WDW when I go to put in that I want a 6 day park hopper to start on May 8th I am told not once not twice but four times before I select the check out button that it is good for any 6 days from 5/8/22-5/16/22. That's not being tech savvy, that is a straight forward "Valid any 6 days from Sun, May 8, 2022 through Mon, May 16, 2022." That pre-dates the park reservation system. Adding that you need a reservation for the park you want to enter doesn't negate how many days you have to use your park tickets (at least Disney did not decide to do that) that's all. That doesn't mean that someone can make an oops and forget that part, we all do that on something or rather but that in itself doesn't mean the average person is going to have a hard time, that would be for lack of a better term a personal problem (not meant harshly).

They wouldn't need so much explanation if they implemented an easy system to begin with.
I also don't disagree with you on this in principle but I do disagree with you on this exact conversation. Park reservations are the easy part, they are in fact at this present moment the most important because without it you're not getting in, but they are an easy concept. I do think how they built park hopping with park reservations is quirky like I said before because of how you can just hop on over to a park if it's available even if you couldn't get a park pass for it, that part I will agree is just an odd path they allowed and not one they spell out either so that aspect is confusing but also isn't part of the base "have to make a reservation to go to this park on this day" discussion.

The other stuff like ADRs (and their time you can book) and keeping up with onsite, split stay and off site, Genie+ which on the surface is MaxPass, and ILL (also called Individual Attraction Selection) those are the hard concepts, those are the ones getting the gripes the most. I understand that Disney has one "get ahead of the line" queue that they decided to rename Lightning Lane (instead of FassPass+) but I don't understand why they decided to go with using it twice by having a paid per ride system also including Lightning Lane in the name. Now that to me would be confusing to explain to someone that when you book an attraction through Genie+ you're going through the Lightning Lane but also you can book certain rides that cost per ride per person depending on the day you go and the ride you want and you go through the same Lightning Lane as those booked through Genie+ and it's called Lightning Lane and keeping track of just which rides are in each bucket. That part of Disney park touring ability just like FP+ is one that people have the harder time understanding.

I know the example of a zoo was brought up but I think it was just the idea that even a zoo required reservations (depending on where you lived, ours did for a time), our regional amusement park did as well. I don't fault people for wondering why a reservation in 2022 is still needed (although National Parks still does and some have been actually added) but for the bulk of people they have had an opportunity to have at least heard of making a reservation to go to a place.

Another problem with park reservations is weather. Some parks are better on rainy days than others. Now, the option to go to a better park for a rainy day is out completely. Of course, you can pay up to hop parks, but that has you moving parks on a rainy day.

If Disney used the park reservations to control crowds, then I'd be okay with it. Right now, it's just one more thing to make a Disney park experience less pleasant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter