People Who Email Me Keep Assuming I’m A Man. How Do I Tell Them I’m Not?

Which do you think was the best advice provided

• Frances should include a gender signifier — a hobby or club affiliation — on her resume or CV.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pryncess527

DIS Veteran
I thought this was an interesting quandary for the Dis. I included the same options FiveThirtyEight provided its readers in the poll here.

Welcome to Survey Says, FiveThirtyEight’s advice column. In each installment, our two advice-givers will take a reader question, debate what he or she should do, and then survey a panel of people about what the best course of action is. Need our advice? Send us your quandary!

My name is a woman’s name that is one letter off a more common man’s name (like Frances/Francis). I frequently receive mail/email to Francis. Sometimes this is a typo, but sometimes it is a case of mistaken identity. Unless they’ve used the honorific Mr. or Ms., I don’t know whether the other party thinks I’m a man or knows I’m a woman. I don’t care either way, but frequently the other person does, particularly in professional contexts.

The obvious solutions aren’t available. My middle name is androgynous (thanks, Mom and Dad!), so including it in my signature line or address block won’t clarify matters. Using a photo has proven more problematic professionally than the ambiguity. Ms. Frances Smythe in my signature line would be too precious, and my proper title is Dr. anyway. Can you think of a tactful, professional way to signal that I am a woman in professional correspondence, when it shouldn’t matter but often does?

Further complicating matters, Francis gets more professional invitations than does Frances, but when people expecting Francis meet Frances or hear her voice, they do tend to be quite put out and nothing further comes of those invitations. In case you were curious, it does seem that Francis is considered more accomplished than Frances despite being exactly the same person with exactly the same CV. Mine is a very competitive field. My name is relatively unusual. I’m established enough that changing my name is not an option. — Frances

Full article:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-assuming-im-a-man-how-do-i-tell-them-im-not/

I don't have an option but I have the same problem. Usually when I get a call and answer, they will ask for the person they are expecting to answer. Then I tell them it is me and can hear the surprise in their voice. LOL It is quite funny to me though.

I have a similar problem, and I just usually laugh it off and move on. It certainly hasn't been a big deal in my life. But I'm not in a job where I'm writing grants or proposals a lot, which I'm sensing the writing might be given she talks about a C/V.

No help, but like the other posters above, I'm in the same boat. I get this OFTEN. Like. Really often. Happened even today. I don't recall ever calling someone out on it though. They'll often email me saying "oh, thank you sir!" Or stuff like that. Since I am in customer service I would shoot myself in the foot if I argued back in response.

I expect my daughter to have this through her life (her name is Elliot)

I honestly wouldn't make it clear, it is the other person making assumptions (and we all know that to assume makes an you know what-turns out it's a banned word on the DIS, out of u and me).
If someone is contacting Dr Elliot Surname her gender is irrevelant.

I agree with @mummabear that it shouldn't matter. The other person is making the assumption, and if it ends up making them look a bit silly, that's their fault!

But...if I was really sick of being invited to mens' golf tournaments or whatever, I'd put a small flower icon in my e-mail signature.

I didn't vote, but if it were me and it was just an email that I had to answer and then I was done with them, I wouldn't do anything. If it was a person I was going to be interacting with one on one, or for an extended period of time I would just politely let them know that I was a female, not a male.
I wouldn't be irritated, not everyone realizes that certain names can be male or female, especially if its a name like Frances that isn't very popular. Besides if you are dealing with people from other Nations, their spellings of male/female names may not be the same as ours. Nothing to make a big deal about, just let them know you are a female, I'm sure they will be thankful.

Why does Frances care? Is there a reason that gender is relevant?

I would think that might be an advantage in anonymous situations like email. Gender shouldn't matter and thanks to the name- it doesn't. t would be business like and professional and wouldn't bother to add any clarification of gender.

My DD's name is non specific- although more commonly female- but then spelled like the male version because she's named for her dad. I would hope that she just goes with it!

Why does Frances care? Is there a reason that gender is relevant?
Well, apparently she does care of she wouldn't be asking for advice. Invitations are silently rescinded when it's discovered she's a she.

If "Ms." is too precious, if start referring to myself as Fran.

Well, apparently she does care of she wouldn't be asking for advice. Invitations are silently rescinded when it's discovered she's a she.

Personally, the nickname I go by is androgynous while my full first name is feminine. I've started using my nickname professionally (on my resume, for example), because I don't want to be passed over in my male-dominated field. In the Frances scenario, the idea that professional invitations are being rescinded is just really disturbing.

I thought this was an interesting quandary for the Dis. I included the same options FiveThirtyEight provided its readers in the poll here.

Welcome to Survey Says, FiveThirtyEight’s advice column. In each installment, our two advice-givers will take a reader question, debate what he or she should do, and then survey a panel of people about what the best course of action is. Need our advice? Send us your quandary!

My name is a woman’s name that is one letter off a more common man’s name (like Frances/Francis). I frequently receive mail/email to Francis. Sometimes this is a typo, but sometimes it is a case of mistaken identity. Unless they’ve used the honorific Mr. or Ms., I don’t know whether the other party thinks I’m a man or knows I’m a woman. I don’t care either way, but frequently the other person does, particularly in professional contexts.

The obvious solutions aren’t available. My middle name is androgynous (thanks, Mom and Dad!), so including it in my signature line or address block won’t clarify matters. Using a photo has proven more problematic professionally than the ambiguity. Ms. Frances Smythe in my signature line would be too precious, and my proper title is Dr. anyway. Can you think of a tactful, professional way to signal that I am a woman in professional correspondence, when it shouldn’t matter but often does?

Further complicating matters, Francis gets more professional invitations than does Frances, but when people expecting Francis meet Frances or hear her voice, they do tend to be quite put out and nothing further comes of those invitations. In case you were curious, it does seem that Francis is considered more accomplished than Frances despite being exactly the same person with exactly the same CV. Mine is a very competitive field. My name is relatively unusual. I’m established enough that changing my name is not an option. — Frances

Full article:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-assuming-im-a-man-how-do-i-tell-them-im-not/

Include Ms. or Mrs. in correspondence & drop Dr.

The title can be Ms. Francis Snootypants MD.

Over the phone, probably will not be able to solve that unless you change your title.

If "Ms." is too precious, if start referring to myself as Fran.

Which is my uncle's name, so I would assume male if I saw that ;)

As far as the question - I think the onus is on the sender, not the receiver. You know what they say about assuming...

Hmm interesting question..

I'm really not certain how I would proceed. I can see where it's irritating to have the spelling wrong but for the person I guess it adds a layer of annoyance since in this case it means people may infer a different gender.

My name is actually unisex but it's far less common to find a male Mackenzie than a female and in my case I'm not certain I've ever been mistaken as a male. However, when I was growing up Mackenzie was in the boy's section of the baby book names (like the ones you used to see at the grocery checkout lane) and then finally made it to the girl's years later.

I wonder if former Minnesota Viking quarterback Fran Tarkenton ever got mail with the salutation "Dear Ms. Tarkenton."

My first name is Lee and I have the same issue. I often sign business correspondence as "(Ms.) Lee LastName".

You re a Dr and as such there is simply no way to respond to an Incorrect e mail received.. with the clarification, Ms. XXX
I certainly would not, Not use Dr.
...for the most part, I'd say, ignorance is Bliss and not worry about correcting their mistake. If they Assume, that's their issue not yours.
What particularly irritates me is that you indicated the invitation Stops when your gender is revealed... :worried:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter