pet peeves

So, let's say my family of 4 has been in line for 10 minutes waiting on an attraction. All of a sudden my daughter needs to go to the bathroom (even though I took her before getting in the line - kids do that - you know that if you have kids). Is my entire family suppose to get out of line and go back to the end of the line after she goes to the bathroom? If that is the case then with 2 children my line waiting time will double because my kids do this all the time (go and then go again 10 minutes later!)

UG!

You know for a place that is suppose to be FOR CHILDREN you'd think that adults could be a little more kind, compassionate, and understanding towards those children. To me, if it comes down to a adult enjoying Disney verses a child I would pick the child any day, even if it is not my own child.

I think the general consensus on this board is that if it's a parent with a child leaving the line for an emergency potty stop or other issue regarding a disability, etc, that's fine. I don't think that's what was being discussed in previous posts, because most people understand that kids usually realize very suddenly that they have to use the restroom and can't wait until the line is over like an adult can.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the statement in your second paragraph. Yes, there are things at Disney World geared more towards children, but the destination as a whole is not FOR CHILDREN AND CHILDREN ONLY. It is a destination for children, parents, grandparents, families, and anyone who wants to go there to enjoy it. Our next trip in December is all adults, and we've put a lot of planning into the trip already. Should we sacrifice our good time for every kid that we come across? Then we would never accomplish anything we wanted to do! I love kids, and I do get enjoyment out of seeing kids having a great and magical time in Disney World. But in no way do I think WDW is only FOR CHILDREN and that I should yield to them at every opportunity, especially if they/their parents are rude and have the "It's all about me" mentality.

Right there...you are wrong. WDW is most certainly not JUST for children. That is a peeve of mine.

:rotfl:

True it's not but the adults that get upset and annoyed that there are children in Disney peeve me. Of course there are going to be strollers and babies and cranky kids! I wouldn't take my 3 kids to Victoria and Alberts or let them run through the spa or anything but we are going to be noisy and excited everywhere else ;).

So, let's say my family of 4 has been in line for 10 minutes waiting on an attraction. All of a sudden my daughter needs to go to the bathroom (even though I took her before getting in the line - kids do that - you know that if you have kids). Is my entire family suppose to get out of line and go back to the end of the line after she goes to the bathroom? If that is the case then with 2 children my line waiting time will double because my kids do this all the time (go and then go again 10 minutes later!)

UG!

You know for a place that is suppose to be FOR CHILDREN you'd think that adults could be a little more kind, compassionate, and understanding towards those children. To me, if it comes down to a adult enjoying Disney verses a child I would pick the child any day, even if it is not my own child.

I'm with some of the other PP that this is a peeve of mine. Disneyworld is FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!! Basically, if you have PULSE, Disneyworld is for you. This attitude that Disneyworkd is only for children just disgusts me and is so selfish. Just because I don't have children doesn't mean I don't have worth and don't deserve to have fun too.

I guess, according to you, since we don't have children, we're just supposed to keep our butts at home and not enjoy the happiest place on earth. Real nice... :rolleyes:

Gosh, did not mean to offend so many. Just wanted to make the point that people should be more understanding of the needs of children in a place like DWD. No it is not just for children but it is important that the children who are there have a good time and are not expected to act like adults. I was equally upset over the post that said children should just go to the bathroom before getting in line...that works in a perfect world but not in one with my kids.

Anyway, I agree that people at DWD should let a lot slide and enjoy themselves while also letting others do the same...Basic human compassion and understanding. Peace....

I'm with some of the other PP that this is a peeve of mine. Disneyworld is FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!! Basically, if you have PULSE, Disneyworld is for you. This attitude that Disneyworkd is only for children just disgusts me and is so selfish. Just because I don't have children doesn't mean I don't have worth and don't deserve to have fun too.

I guess, according to you, since we don't have children, we're just supposed to keep our butts at home and not enjoy the happiest place on earth. Real nice... :rolleyes:

Jump to conclusions much?
no one said stay home, but I think the OP was simply pointing out that a lot of the peeves are directed at behaviors that just come with kids, in a place that is for children as well as adults. It's not like we're taking our kids into a place that they have no business being in, they belong at disney, so given that fact, then you have to expect that there will be children behaving like children there.

I love children and anyone who knows me would confirm that without a second thought, but I do not always approve of their behavior or that of their parents.

I understand that while at Disney parents want their children to enjoy themselves and have a great time, but I would appreciate it if those same parents could teach their children to be respectful of others and to behave appropriately. Please don't misunderstand as I have seen very well behaved children in the parks, but I have also seen many that I can only hope are not allowed to behave as badly at their homes as they do in public.

I have to also admit that some of their parents do not act much better.

Jump to conclusions much?
no one said stay home, but I think the OP was simply pointing out that a lot of the peeves are directed at behaviors that just come with kids, in a place that is for children as well as adults. It's not like we're taking our kids into a place that they have no business being in, they belong at disney, so given that fact, then you have to expect that there will be children behaving like children there.

Bold Mine
I disagree with that. I have seen many of the behaviors discussed in adults as well not just kids! I expect to see childish behavior in children not adults. :goodvibes

Bold Mine
I disagree with that. I have seen many of the behaviors discussed in adults as well not just kids! I expect to see childish behavior in children not adults. :goodvibes

hahah...so true. I meant I was specifically talking about kids who have to leave the to go pee.....that sort of thing.

Haven't even read through the thread yet, but this one gets my laugh of the day praline. Almost spit my water on the keyboard.

course it would have been good to click the box to include what was so funny...

It was the one about good parents being tortured by their kids.

Mine do that too sometimes - really just to keep me sharp, I'm sure.

My pet peeve is when people get defensive and assume you are trying to do something you are not suppose to. My DD(7) has Down Syndrome so we get her a GAC and also the sticker that allows us to use her stroller as a wheel chair. Every once and a while we will get dirty looks from people standing in line as we walk into the handicapped entrance or bring the stroller into an area where strollers are normally not allowed to go. Then, when they see my daughter they try to act nice. I understand that their are a lot of people that try to "cheat" the system and it is frustrating to wait in line and see somone that "Appears" to be getting on the ride quicker, but to some degree you need to let the CMs do their jobs. Disney does not need all guests to be the crowd police. If we are doing something that we should not be doing, a CM will let us know about it. What's even worse than this is when people still give us dirty looks even when they see DD.
This makes me a little nervous. June will be our first trip with our children. DS has just been diagnosed ADHD so we will be obtaining a GAC for him...there is no way he'll be able to manage hour long waits. I'm almost afraid of it though, since he "looks normal". I assume we'll be getting lots of side eyes.

This:
My son says hi and he hopes you enjoyed the ride.

almost made me spit out my pop. :lmao:

And buffettgirl, does your dad suffer from peripheral arterty disease? My mom does which is why I asked.

Hmmm...in terms of pet peeves, mine are the usual ones listed. But here's an odd one, not WDW related:
when people squeeze toothpaste in the middle of the tube instead of the bottom. WHY?!?!?!!

Oh and the lack of decent coffee at WDW is going to peeve me too. I've got two preschoolers. I NEED MY CAFFEINE darnit.

As a parent, the one thing that really bothers me is when someone without children gives me the stink eye if my child is not behaving the way they feel he should behave. My son is pretty wound up and he's constantly on the go. I do my best to disclipine him and keep him in check but he's still a 4 year old boy. I always just want to scream at the person and say, "DO YOU NOT REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO HAVE A CHILD?!?!! Cut him some slack." And actually I did say this one time to someone a couple of years ago. I had just about had enough of this person making snide comments about my son who honestly was not being that bad - typical 3 year old behavior of excitement and happiness. This person was just being a real jerk so I finally said to him, "Dude, the kid is three. I'm sure your children were PERFECT. Shut up," and walked away. BTW, this was not at WDW. It was at a fair.

Regarding the WDW is for kids statement:
1. I think that we are all a bunch of overgrown kids (at least I am and I still have tantrums to prove it).
2. The only areas that are just for kids are the playgrounds or babycenters, everything else is fair game for all of us.

I think that I have more fun at Disney (Land or World take your pick) than the kids.

Yes another pet peeve is people who complain about unruly kids. Kids have their moments too. If you see a kid misbehaving maybe he's just having a moment. My DS is overly hyper when excited. I have to calm him down and sometimes it takes a little longer to get his attention and make him focus.

And buffettgirl, does your dad suffer from peripheral arterty disease? My mom does which is why I asked.
Yes, he does. Thankfully he had some other medical problems over the past 2 years which has resulted in him 1) quitting smoking 2) losing a ton of weight 3) getting overall healthier. He walks a LOT better now than he has in the past 10 years. He would rather die than use an scooter. Last time we were sure he was going to have to, but he sucked it up. (unwisely, IMO) but I think this year he's going to do just fine.

Yes, he does. Thankfully he had some other medical problems over the past 2 years which has resulted in him 1) quitting smoking 2) losing a ton of weight 3) getting overall healthier. He walks a LOT better now than he has in the past 10 years. He would rather die than use an scooter. Last time we were sure he was going to have to, but he sucked it up. (unwisely, IMO) but I think this year he's going to do just fine.

My mom would also rather die than use a scooter. She had the bypass surgery a year ago and just had another (minor) surgery to remove scar tissue in one leg and is slated for the other leg to be done 3/3.

PAD is so scary to me b/c my grandfather ultimately died of it when I was 10 & he was 54. My mom is only 50. Anyway, it freaks me out big time for myself. Like your dad, my mom has quit smoking and she did start exercising until this last surgery but will start back up again as soon as she's able.

Okay, I'm about to become someone's pet peeve b/c I'm having a private conversation in a thread. It just sparked my curiosity when you mentioned leg troubles. :)

Line cutters... line cutters... line cutters!!!!! Can't you see I've experienced a lot of that this week???

Not the 'joining my party in line' ones tho (I do believe that there are many legitimate reasons for that) but the 'I can see there's a line (eg at Guest Services in IOA this am) but I'm far too important to stand in it behind all you losers who have been waiting for ages'. And then when I point it out to you you act as tho I'm the rude one! :furious:

I hope karma comes to getcha...

My peeve is about forums.

.....somebody will post a legitimate question about WDW and it will get a few short responses. Someone else will post up about their problem child, or rude waiter, and they get 17 pages of responses in a day!

I really wish people on the forum would try hard to answer other diser's ?s.
Honestly(yeah I said it:P) I have a hard time getting good answers out of you guys!

I just thought of another one:

People who become annoyed and beligerent when people post thier pet peeves! :rotfl2: :rotfl:

I thought this thread was a place to vent about out own personal pet peeves not argue over the legitimacy of them. :lmao:

What "peeves" one person is not going to "peeve" another.

I hear you! My old boss is just like that. When we had a "what is your pet peeve" thing in one of our meetings and it got to me, I said, "the so-called word aksed." Her response was, "well, you don't say all words perfectly either!" Didn't say I did! You ASKED my pet peeve, and I told you. It's MY pet peeve ... whether you agree with it or not. Sheesh!

Just found this thread and had fun looking through it. I agree with most and not with others, but that's what pet peeves are all about. I have two that I can think of right off the top of my head:

1) When I talk about WDW (and I do this lot) and someone says they didn't like Disneyland, so they know they won't like the World. This isn't my peeve, they just really don't know. My peeve is that when I tell them it is soooooooo not the same, they argue that all amusement parks are the same.

2) My biggest peeve is from my last trip with my nieces and nephew. Most of them decided that, since this was their vacation too, they wanted to sleep in and not even get out of bed before 10 a.m.! OK, if that's your choice. But don't come to me later and complain that you didn't get to go on all the rides you wanted and that it is unfair that those of us who did get up and get moving got to go on all of them. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter