Photopass and Memory Maker - our experience

Mollygirl21

Mouseketeer
We bought the Memory Maker and are very pleased to have so many family shots but we were a little disappointed at the lack of photographers in the parks. At HS, we didn't see a single photographer until lunch (we headed straight to Jedi Training sign up at park opening so there may have been some on the Main Street area).

We used the app but when we went in search of a photographer, lots of times they weren't there.

And in other parks, there are so many prime photo spots where there were no photographers! At MK, there were many along Main Street and in the hub but I would have loved to have our pic at the entrances to the various lands, spots to the side of the Castle rather than just in front of it, etc.

At AK, we were not able to find one to take our pic with EE as the background.

At Epcot, there were only photographers at the entrance to take pics with SSE as the background but other places around FW make such nice pics. And the area in front of SSE was really cluttered with signs for the Arts Festival which just look junky in the photos

Maybe it was just bad luck or bad timing but we didn't think there were enough photographers around. No regrets, still really glad to have the pics we have and the ride pics are nice to have too.

I would agree. Our last trip was the past 2 weekends and really didn't see too many photographers throughout the park. We were able to get ones at the front of the parks, and back by TOT in HS and by France in Epcot. If it weren't for the ride photos and character photographers, it wouldn't have been worth it for us this trip.

At MK there is a photographer beside Merida on the bridge to fantasyland, one at tomorrowland bridge, and they were testing photos at each of the castle turrets and right in front of the castle. There is also a photo spot at the liberty square bridge towards the castle, and one at Ariel's Undersea Adventure bridge and sometimes one towards Beast's castle. Though if there is low staff, those small positions are the ones that go first because everyone wants their main icon shots. So it's possible they weren't there, or left for water. They do a lot of testing at different areas and some just aren't popular enough to keep staffed.

DHS in particular usually has 1-2 photographers at the entrance, 3 down hollywood boulevard, 3 on sunset (including one outside of RNR) and one outside the Studios Sign by GMR. There is usually one outside the Pixar Animation signs but there isn't any in the Muppets area for now besides Jedi Academy.

Might have been bad timing and I also feel like photopass photographers blend in really well because of their costumes and a lot of people crowd them so other guests don't realize they are there. Some areas they have to step to the side to avoid sunflares (pixar animation) so they might not be in the exact spot.

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed your photos! :)

We visited the last weekend in January and found PhotoPass Photographers all over. In AK there was one on the bridge to Africa taking photos with EE in the background. (She admitted it was an awkward spot since people crossing the bridge had to wait or go behind her in single file.) Also one outside FOTLK by the tapestry, and so many by the Tree of Life. In MK we found additional PP by the flagpole/train station, as well as in front of the candy shop. We noticed a couple others roaming Fantasyland near Peter Pan's Flight and the carousel. DHS had all the PP up the street in front of the Chinese theater as well as one at the entrance to the Launch Bay, one by Pixar Place, and even one in front of the Speeder outside Star Tours. Epcot had them everywhere due to the FOTA. We ended up with 450 pictures from PhotoPass over 4 days (including ride photos, and Jedi Training performers, but after deleting the JTA pics I wasn't interested in)

Interesting how variable their presence seems to be.

We have APs, otherwise have never been a big fan of photopass. Last Christmas we decided MK was so pretty so let's take advantage of something different. We finally ended up getting a picture but it took a while because every photographer had a line and we just didn't want to wait in line then be rushed to get the picture because someone else was waiting in line. We see them all over the place but rarely see them without a line.

I noticed less this trip (1/7-1/17) then in October 2015. Especially in AK and HS. Areas I thought would have a photographer (and had been there in the past) were not this trip.

It varies depending on how crowded disney thinks it'll be. Low attendence and there is less around the park OR they are only out during prime crowd time in that area (meal time). They tend to disappear once it's darker also so if it's more of a lunch to dinner thing unless it's really crowded.

We were in WDW last May and this past October. We did find a lot of photopass photographers around most of the parks. There were also some in Disney Springs. As far as waiting in line - we try to find some with short lines - but if it is picture we really want - we wait. And do not feel rushed. I always feel if we are waiting for our turn, then we will take the time we need for photos.

We were at Disney the weekend before last and had no trouble spotting Photopass photographers. In Epcot the World Showcase was full of them due to the Festival of the Arts (some with paintings, some just next to scenery.) We went to all four parks on Sunday and had multiple photos taken in each park. I do think there are fewer around when the parks first open, but by lunch time we had no problem finding them.

I noticed significantly fewer photopass photographers in January (28th-31st) than my previous trip (May, 2016), especially in World Showcase. But I always get Memory Maker because I love bouncing from photographer to photographer and because I love the ride photos and videos.

The only places I've seen them in DHS (besides the characters) is right up the main street. I'm sure they are elsewhere, but I can't recall where.
There are so many places they "could" have Photo Pass photographers, but it is costly to pay someone to do that all day.

Frankly I am surprised they haven't had automatic photographers yet. Just stand at a certain spot .. it snaps .. you scan your band .. done.

I think there are lists online that show where they normally "should" be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter