Pictures where the kids HATE the characters!

DSC01632.jpg

Let's see what happens this year, being almost 5 @ MNSSHP :rotfl2:

Mx

I vote real.:rotfl2:[/QUOTE]

The LOOK on the stepmother's face!:scared1:
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!:goodvibes

I wish I could find the picture on my computer....I have one of my DS when he was 2 1/2, not with a character, but dressed as one. I had gotten him the CUTEST Dumbo costume. Well he absolutely HATED it. No clue why, you would've thought it was full of fire for how he screamed when I put it on him. I was HOPING that I could just put it on him for a few minutes everyday and he'd get used to it. Well he calmed down a little, but not much. I have the one and only picture of him smiling in the costume, but with tears on his cheeks. So he pretty much didn't wear a costume for trick or treating...;)

LOVE these!

I can definitely share a few as my youngest ds was totally freaked out by the characters for the first 4 days of our trip last year.

This was my favorite. I still lol every time I look at it.

IMG_0574.jpg

Disney should ask you to use this photo - classic! Exactly the reaction they're striving for!! :thumbsup2

I know this thread is mostly for kids, but even my mother, who is clearly an adult isn't too sure about the characters....she claims to have "character anxiety" :lmao:

100_1368.JPG

I know this thread is mostly for kids, but even my mother, who is clearly an adult isn't too sure about the characters....she claims to have "character anxiety" :lmao:

100_1368.JPG

For some reason, it's a tad funnier with adults because they know better!

DD3 was clearly not impressed with Cinderella.
ranacindy.jpg

She was more excited to meet Snow White...
lookupw.jpg

...Until Snow kissed her autograph book and left lipstick on it.
nosnow.jpg

DD didn't like that.

TL

We were at WDW last April and it was my youngest son's first time (he was 2 1/2 years old). We went to the Crystal Palace and discovered he was terrified of all the characters! The other kids love the characters so we decided to go ahead and keep our Tusker House breakfast reservation for later in the week and just try to keep our son away from the characters. Well, Mickey Mouse came around the corner and tapped my son on the back--he was terrified!
IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

I don't understand what is so funny about your kids screaming and crying in fear. This is a thread of torture for your loved ones.

Uh... no. No, not at all.

First, the parent's point of view. Kids, as I am sure most of us well know, are the least predictable creatures on God's green Earth. You do not know how your kid is going to react to anything out of the ordinary. Which is to say that none of these pictures were taken with the intent to capture terrified children and laugh at their misery. I'm fairly certain that they are the unfortunate (but funny in hindsight) end-product of waiting in line for hours and hours and having to get at least one picture off to make it all worth it. (The going to see Santa at the mall stories people have brought up often are terrific analogies.)

I had a table at Boston Comicon this weekend and there were many costumed characters wandering the floor. After a while, I got bored of watching them and instead watched the reactions of the really little boy at the table run by his mom and dad across from us. Sometimes he was a little freaked out, sometimes he was happy. And most of the time -this is true- he had this exact expression on his face:

wthplz.png

(As if to say, "What is this, I don't even...?" :laughing: )

Which brings us to the child's point of view. See, when you're a very young child, your understanding of the world is pretty limited. The younger you are, the less it's going to take to freak you right the heck out at a moment's notice. Therein lies a possible explanation as to why some kids flip out upon meeting costumed characters face-to-face. The sudden revelation that Mickey Mouse is real and, by the way, an oddly proportioned five-foot-tall creature with a skinny humanlike body and a big, giant head whose expression never changes certainly pulls your minimal, but still fairly reliable understanding of reality right out from under you. You do not have the words for what you are experiencing, so all you can do is scream and scream. :scared1:

Or, to put it more succinctly (sorry for the swearing). :rotfl:

But here's the thing, and it's super important: Kids recover from these little earthquakes right quick. Doubly so if the encounter with the character is over quick and mom and dad are right there. And heck, look at all the pictures from character meals where the kid is scared at first, and then once they notice the character hasn't done anything scary or hurtful, they're totally fine with them.

In short, what LuvTheMouse said (quoted below). This, this, this, a million times this. :thumbsup2

I'm also amazed at how much some people coddle their kids. If you try to protect them from every little thing, you end up with Nervous Nelly kids who grow into Nervous Nelly adults.

My mom has pictures of me with Santa 3 years in a row where I am not feeling the love, LOL. In one you can see my tonsils, I am screaming so much. :lmao:

I am not scarred for life. Santa doesn't send me into fits anymore. :rotfl:

I just want to thank you all for making the wait time for my hair dye to take a LOT better!!

Seriously though, I think I am going to rethink Hollywood Studios breakfast -- those Little Einstein characters are freaking ME out!!!

I don't know -- characters need to be non-human OR really human -- not fully costumed people/character thingies dressed up like giant humans (ok, I think the hair dye is in my brain!) :rotfl2:

Some of these pictures are Halirous! I need to find my back ups and post them. My computer had to be recovered and I lost everything:headache:

I just finished reading this entire thread and it was hilarious! Some of these pics made me literally laugh out loud! These are great memories that I'm sure these kids will laugh at one day. Keep them coming! :rotfl:

Oh my goodness... these are hilarious! I know I have some from my first trip that I'll post as soon as I find them!

These pictures are so funny almost as good as the pics where kids are terrified of santa. I wish i had some pics of me being afraid of characters.

From my January 97 trip with my grandparents. We had breakfast at CRT and I was absolutely TERRIFIED of Peter and Wendy! There's a kiss from Snow White on my forehead too :)

crt.jpg

This is of two of my "babies"....boy did Mary Poppins embarrass them when they didnt want to talk to her.....she told them to come over here spit spot and pose for the camera!! And they LISTENED TO HER....rofl!!

DSCF0052b.jpg

Not too amused in this one though...

DSCF0054b.jpg

Wishing he would be left alone to eat!!

DSCF0058b.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter