Pillow family Alaska/Canada Mega Trip!

Following. We live in Vancouver (just outside) so I love to read TR from people who visit here, love seeing our province through the eyes of people who have never seen it before. Your photos are gorgeous!!
Plus, we're hoping to do Alaska on DCL in 2016 :)

Thanks for the compliment. There are so many things to love about BC; the picture taking was easy with all the gorgeous scenery with which to work. We would definitely like to go back one of these days. I'm jealous of your weather!!

Alaska was fabulous, but wet. Have fun planning!

J

Day 7

Oops! I goofed when reporting yesterday’s activities. Not that it matters, but it was this morning when I ran, not yesterday. After the morning run, I packed while DH ran into town to buy some more of this pinot noir that we really liked. Its hard to find decent AND inexpensive pinot (and I’m a little picky; DH would say a lot picky; DH will drink anything). I enjoyed this wine, so we figured we would stock up for the cruise. I’m not a huge drinker, but I enjoy a glass or two with appetizers/dinner. I came prepared with bubble wrap that I had brought from home so that we could pack up our precious cargo without it getting smashed. I forgot the Tide Pods I had planned to bring for laundry, but I remembered the bubble wrap for the wine! Priorities!

ry%3D480

Side note (which could also be considered a planning note if you have a lushy family like mine): See those screw tops? They provided what proved to be tempting easy access to guilty wine thieves who did’t want to bother getting out the corkscrew to drink THEIR OWN (insert expletive of choice here) WINE! More later on this injustice.

Back to day 7 . . . Initially, the plan was to check-out early so that we would have lots of time to explore Victoria before our sunset whale watching tour (the drive from Tofino to Victoria takes roughly four hours). BUT, I wanted to run AND have coffee AND stare at the beach one more time AND stare at the beach some more . . .

You get the picture. About 11:00, we forced ourselves to the car and began what felt like the drive home from Orlando on Easter weekend – ugh! That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it did feel really LONG. I think we caught every red light possible on our way to Victoria. We arrived about 4:00, rushed to the room and dumped our stuff and then ran down to Fisherman’s Wharf to grab a quick bite before our 6:00 whale watching tour. We chose the Inn at Laurel Point due to the location and the reasonable rate (just a 10 minute walk to whale watching). We stayed in the older section of the Inn with the tiniest balcony I’ve ever seen. The beds were doubles (not ideal), but it was just a quick stay over, so it worked out fine. We spent very little time in the room.

We grabbed a quick casual dinner at “The Fish Store at Fisherman’s Wharf.” Wonderful fish tacos here! We were pleasantly surprised to learn that the Fish Store also sells cheap raw fish so that patrons can feed the local seals. The kids got a kick out of watching these seals chow down. Additionally, there is a pesky otter that shows up also hoping for a free fish dinner. We were instructed NOT to feed the otter, as he/she can be very aggressive and has bitten some kids (dangerous place, this waterfront!). It was great fun (and free!) to watch these critters. I can’t decide whether these first couple pictures are cute or creepy . . .

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Definitely creepy!

ry%3D480

Uh oh. Here comes the hungry otter (cue Jaws music).

ry%3D480

He looks determined!

ry%3D480

And here he goes - determined to eat either fish or child.

ry%3D480

Pretty soon after this pic was taken, someone fed him unfortunately.

After the otter drama, it was time to gather for whale watching. Based on Tripadvisor reviews, we chose Eagle Wing tours. Eagle Wing guarantees that you will see whales, as there are resident pods that are fairly easy to locate. Our guide was a very knowledgeable biologist and was the perfect guide on this tour. I highly recommend these folks.

Planning side note: Initially we planned to whale watch with Harv and Marv in Juneau. We opted to do our whale watching here in Victoria instead as it was cheaper and it fit our schedule. The sunset cruise was the most economical + they agreed on a 10% discount since we booked directly with them instead of via a hotel/travel agent.

As promised, we saw an enormous number of whales on this trip! Some pics . . .

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Forget the whale. I want that house!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I’m guessing it was about 9:00pm when our tour returned to the dock. Due to our later than planned arrival, we hadn’t had time to explore the town. We ran back to the room for what felt like a Nascar pit stop - clothes were changed; hair was brushed; and bladders were emptied in record speed. With four of us in one room, this was a feat! Back outside, we walked the 15 minutes over to the Empress hotel waterfront area . . .

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

We stopped and watched this hilarious comedian/juggler on the waterfront . . .

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Then we went in search of an ice cream shop that hadn’t closed for the night. We were back in the room with lights out about midnight.

Next up – Stanley Park, kick-*** soccer, and lots of smoke . . .

Day 8

Our initial plan today was to visit Butchart Gardens en route to the ferry. I had made a 1:00pm ferry reservation thinking that would give us time to meet our 3:30 car rental return deadline. We decided to change the ferry res to 12:00 due to potential traffic delays, which meant that we wouldn’t have time for Butchart. We arrived at the terminal in time to take the 11:00 ferry, which was running late that morning. I was sorry to miss the gardens, but we just couldn’t fit it in.

About our whirlwind stop in Victoria – It was nice but not my favorite. If I could re-plan the trip, I would skip it and whale watch elsewhere. I would have spent that extra night in either Whistler or Tofino.

On to Vancouver! Although we rented our van at the airport, Avis has a location downtown – just about a mile from our hotel. So, DH dropped the three of us off with our luggage and drove the mile to Avis. Then he just walked back to the hotel. Easy peasy!

We chose the Westin Bayshore, which is about a mile from the Canada Place cruise terminal, adjacent to Stanley Park. Since we would be staying for 3 nights, my preference was to be as close to the park as possible. Also, with some luck, I scored a great “pay your birth year” promotional rate – first night rack rate, then nights two and three at only $67 CAD. We had a nice room overlooking the harbor. We felt that this was a good deal at only about $200 USD after the conversion and promo.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

View from the room

After settling in, we walked the Sea Wall down to Canada Place. We chose not to do Fly Over Canada (it was expensive, and nobody really cared about doing it).

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

View looking back toward our hotel

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

We had dinner at the Cactus Club Café. There were great views, and the food was quite good. They also had some great happy hour specials.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

(it wasn't as good as it looks)

ry%3D480

The mojitos were much better! One of those drinks is my DH's . . . I swear!

After dinner, we strolled back to the hotel, stopping to listen to a violinist who was performing along the sea wall. Then the kids hung out in the room while DH and I explored the hotel and walked up to Whole Foods to pick up the next morning's breakfast items.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Note: We happened to be here over the Women’s World Cup weekend. Although we’re not big soccer fans, it was an exciting time to be in town.

Coming up tomorrow . . . my mother and step-father (aka wine thief) arrive to join us for the remainder of the trip. We were excited anticipating their arrival!

Day 9

The only thing we had planned for today was a trip to the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. The kids also wanted to chill out by the pool which sounded good to me as well. But before Capilano, I rose early for a morning jog into Stanley Park on the sea wall. Usually at home, I have to force myself out for a run. But here, I couldn’t wait to go! As a matter of fact, I had to force myself to turn around and come back to the hotel. Gotta love exercise with a view!

So, after breakfast, we headed out front to catch the free shuttle bus to Capilano (the shuttle originates at Canada Place and then makes its way to the Westin). The ride was quick – only about 15 minutes or so, and we arrived at Capilano at 10:30. This is important to know, because even at this time, there were MOBS of people. The MOBS increased in size over the next two hours until we finally left.

So, along with a million other tourists, we walked the suspension bridge, which was very cool and would have been fun to walk if it wasn’t for the million other people walking it with us! On the other side of the bridge, we walked through the woods with more tourists. Then I waited in the bathroom line for 15 minutes with more tourists. Its not that I dislike tourists (I realize that I AM ONE), but there were just way too many people for this to be enjoyable. It was akin to Easter week at Disney World with no Fast Passes!

We finally went back across the bridge, stopping briefly for some fudge before getting in an ENORMOUS line for Cliff Walk. After about 10 minutes in line while barely moving forward, we all voted to leave. So no cliff walk for us. Needless to say, I was underwhelmed by Capilano. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more with fewer people. The tree walk on suspended bridges was nice (still crowded), but we had already done a tree walk as part of our ziplining in Whistler.

Overall, the kids enjoyed Capilano more than me. If you go, GO EARLY! It was expensive, but they do honor a AAA discount. Some pics . . .

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The "I'm sick of you taking my picture" look

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

No clue who that man is waving at me. I wasn't quick enough to get the shot of when my DH leaned over and put his arm around this random man to "pose" for another picture. He was from New Jersey I believe and VERY friendly. Ellen, perhaps you know him???? :)

Back at the hotel, we had lunch in the room, changed into our bathing suits, and went down to the pool. There are many great things to see in Vancouver, so I felt a little guilty about just vegging poolside. In addition to the sun, my novel, and a nice pina colada, I enjoyed talking to some fellow vacationers. Vancouver attracts an international crowd, and it is always interesting to talk to folks from other places (one couple from Holland was traveling the west coast in an RV for 5 weeks – loved that and loved them). Sorry - no pictures of me in my thong bikini.

After lazing around like sloths all afternoon, we showered and headed out for dinner at a random restaurant on the waterfront – The Mill Marine Bistro. We all liked our food and enjoyed sitting outside. Great location! We didn’t want to linger at dinner for too long though because we knew my mom and her hubbie were due to arrive soon (we had been monitoring their flight online periodically throughout the day). Those turkeys had flown first class (jealous) and were fed and watered on the plane, so they were set for the evening. We visited and chatted for a while before they headed off to bed. Twilight view from the room . . .

ry%3D480

Tomorrow's adventures involve biking, bird poop, and a smoky haze from nearby wildfires.

I am catching up- but have to say, I LOVE your BC trip! The beach- I would happily move in there, too- just gorgeous. And the TREES!!!!!! OMG- they are glorious- big trees just make me feel at peace.... Your photos are amazing. Also- can't believe you saw Orcas, but if they are residents, that is really the only sure way. We never saw any on our trip- in Alaska, they are all transient. So, hit or miss. Victoria looks so pretty, I am sad it was disappointing for you- also sad that the gardens did not fit in- but that's the way it goes, sometimes.

I am enjoying every step you are taking- thank you SO MUCH for writing about your adventure!!!! xoxo

I am catching up- but have to say, I LOVE your BC trip! The beach- I would happily move in there, too- just gorgeous. And the TREES!!!!!! OMG- they are glorious- big trees just make me feel at peace.... Your photos are amazing. Also- can't believe you saw Orcas, but if they are residents, that is really the only sure way. We never saw any on our trip- in Alaska, they are all transient. So, hit or miss. Victoria looks so pretty, I am sad it was disappointing for you- also sad that the gardens did not fit in- but that's the way it goes, sometimes.

I am enjoying every step you are taking- thank you SO MUCH for writing about your adventure!!!! xoxo

I'm so happy you like it!! And thanks for saying so - makes me feel good. :goodvibes

I wouldn't say Victoria was disappointing really. I think we were in and out of there way too fast. Plus I think I'm more of a nature girl as opposed to a city girl, and we had just come from glorious Tofino.

I also thought it would have been fun to go to high tea, so maybe we just needed more time.

Oh just WAIT! The orcas put on a major show for us right off the side of the ship. Amazing! We were so lucky to see it. Stay tuned.

And by the way, I laughed when I read what Timmy said about The Cactus Club. We noticed that as well.

J

I love how honest your TR report is. So many tourists gush over Fly Over Canada, Victoria, the Cap Suspension Bridge (why more people don't do the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge I'll never know!) As a resident who has been to Victoria many times (*snore* our cruise this September stops there and we are staying on the ship!) I actually find it so sllooooooowwww and boring lol I'm glad you were able to experience the other side of the island, most tourists never make it out of the Victoria area while visiting the island.

I love how honest your TR report is. So many tourists gush over Fly Over Canada, Victoria, the Cap Suspension Bridge (why more people don't do the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge I'll never know!) As a resident who has been to Victoria many times (*snore* our cruise this September stops there and we are staying on the ship!) I actually find it so sllooooooowwww and boring lol I'm glad you were able to experience the other side of the island, most tourists never make it out of the Victoria area while visiting the island.

Thank you! I'm trying to report honestly on our experiences, whether bad or good. I'm sure there will be more contrary opinions to come - lol.

We've been on Soarin' down in WDW so many times I've lost count. If not for that, we probably would have spent the money on Fly Over Canada. I kinda wanted to do it, but I was outvoted.

I've never heard of Lynn Canyon. Is it easy to get to from downtown? Those free shuttles make Capilano so convenient, I imagine thats why most folks go.

Thanks for following along!

J

Love your TR! Beautiful photos and great commentary. I really like hearing about whistler and tofino as I am considering adding a stop at one or the other during our trip next summer.

It was Tyler who noticed at the Cactus Club, but that is so funny!! It really WAS true! Food was very good (sorry that watermelon drink was not).

Day 10

Today’s plan was to rent bikes and explore the sea wall. Mom and B considered going with us but decided exploring by trolley was closer to their speed. After our morning visit with them, they went out front to catch the trolley, and we walked to Spokes to rent bikes. I researched bike rental shops beforehand and found Spokes to be significantly cheaper than the outfits located on the sea wall between Canada Place and the park. So, off we went!

ry%3D480

We biked counter-clockwise around Stanley Park and then continued toward False Creek. We doubled back and completed the Stanley Park loop. In total, we rode for about 2 hours – a very leisurely flat easy ride, with various short stops along the way.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Back at the room, we had lunch and enjoyed another afternoon at the pool. What can I say? We had been traveling for 10 days, and that pool was enticing! After a couple hours, mom and B returned from their trolley tour, and mom joined us out by the pool to chat. Unfortunately, our chatting was cut short by a seagull that was enjoying the pool almost as much as us, but in a different way. His aim was true, and mom left to attempt to clean seagull poop out of her nice white shorts. That’s supposed to be good luck, right???

In the meantime, a smoky haze began to settle over the city. We had noticed it the night before, and the smoke became thicker during the time we spent poolside. Apparently, there were wild fires miles away, and the smoke from those was blowing in our direction. It smelled as if someone was burning a camp fire right next door.

I wanted to visit Granville Island, so we made plans earlier in the day to take a cab there for dinner and explore a bit. BUT, when we all came back to shower and get ready, we got sucked into watching the Women’s World Cup on TV. When the kids saw that they were broadcasting right down the street at Canada Place, they just HAD to go see! So, the kids and DH ran down to take some pics and watch the big screen (I couldn’t blame them) . . .

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

By the time they returned, it was later than we had planned. We scrapped the Granville plan and walked next door for dinner at Carderos. I thought the food was just ok – nothing special. After dinner, we went back to the room and packed since tomorrow we would board the Wonder for the cruise portion of our trip. I was looking forward to unpacking my suitcase into actual drawers. Living out of a suitcase for 10 days is no fun!

Coming up . . . will we or won’t we score an upgrade???

SO COOL the olympic torch was lit!!!! Very fortunate! Probably had something to do with POOP on the pants -

Lucky, lucky, luckeeeeee!

And forgot to mention- your Stanley Park pics brought back GREAT memories- thanks, my friend! xo

Those darn birds, I've been good-luck-pooped-on a few times downtown ;-) Lovin' the Stanley Park pics!

And forgot to mention- your Stanley Park pics brought back GREAT memories- thanks, my friend! xo

Such a simple thing, a bike ride. And yet it was just so fun. Loved Stanley Park!! Glad you have fond memories.:)

the seal/otter pictures made me lol! can't wait to read your next entries so i can relive our cruise...

the seal/otter pictures made me lol! can't wait to read your next entries so i can relive our cruise...

Excellent! Glad I could make you laugh.

I noticed Scott posted the Navigators from our cruise over on the Disney Cruise Line Blog. I thought those might have been yours. So glad they are there since I failed to keep them.

Jodie

I noticed Scott posted the Navigators from our cruise over on the Disney Cruise Line Blog. I thought those might have been yours. So glad they are there since I failed to keep them.

Jodie

yes, those are mine indeed. i was too lazy to scan them myself, so was thankful he was willing to do the work, lol!

That's so exciting that you were there during FIFA & that the Olympic torch was lit!

Ahh, I'm sad that the otter was too mean to feed. I love those water weasels! lol Excited for your cruise posts!

Joining in. :wave: All caught up and just in time for the cruise portion. Your trip so far was amazing. Looking forward to reading along for the rest of your journey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter