Pillow family Alaska/Canada Mega Trip!

Driving the Klondike Highway & doing the dogsled ride at Caribou Crossing are exactly what we want to do here! About how long was the drive to Caribou Crossing & from there to the Lake? & About how long was the entire drive?

Thanks so much! Your pictures are gorgeous and those puppies are so cute!

We did about the same as you for our Skagway day except we rented a jeep from Alaska Green Jeep company. Since we only had three people we were fine with just having a small vehicle.

I think you cruised a couple of weeks after us. We had warm sunny days everyday except for Tracy Arm day when it was cold and sunny. Thanks much for sharing. Your trip report makes me want to go back.

Kate

I think you cruised a couple of weeks after us. We had warm sunny days everyday except for Tracy Arm day when it was cold and sunny. Thanks much for sharing. Your trip report makes me want to go back.

Kate

I heard everyone before us had mostly great weather. I guess we brought the rain with us - ha.

I want to go back as well and I just got home!!

Jodie

Driving the Klondike Highway & doing the dogsled ride at Caribou Crossing are exactly what we want to do here! About how long was the drive to Caribou Crossing & from there to the Lake? & About how long was the entire drive?

Thanks so much! Your pictures are gorgeous and those puppies are so cute!

Caribou Crossing is approximately 67 miles from Skagway. We drove very slowly and stopped for the bathroom. I'm gonna guess 2 hours?? Maybe slightly longer? By the time we left, there were a bunch of tour busses parked, so I would go directly there and make any photo stops on your way back.

From there to Emerald Lake, its only another 5-6 miles.

We had a wonderful day!

Jodie

Just catching up on your trip report. And I love everything so far. We will be in Vancouver 30 days from now so I'm really trying to figure out what we will do in our two days before the cruise.

Thank you for all the wonderful tips and information.

Just catching up on your trip report. And I love everything so far. We will be in Vancouver 30 days from now so I'm really trying to figure out what we will do in our two days before the cruise.

Thank you for all the wonderful tips and information.

Where will you be staying? Biking in Stanley Park was a lot of fun. You could spend an entire day in Stanley Park going to beaches, the aquarium, etc. Loved it!

J

Hi Jodie! Just found your report. You had an amazing trip! Loved your 10 days pre-cruise. Yay for scoring a verandah. We loved having one also. Looking forward to the rest.

Kristi

Hi Jodie! Just found your report. You had an amazing trip! Loved your 10 days pre-cruise. Yay for scoring a verandah. We loved having one also. Looking forward to the rest.

Kristi

Hi there! :wave: Glad you found me. Don't you want to go back? I found myself looking up cruises that visit Glacier Bay today. Ugh.

Jodie

Did you enjoy dinner at Beach blanket? Did they have a lot to pick from? I'm trying to decide if we should do this or just room service for dinner on the night our excursion gets back after our early dinner starts.

Thanks!

Did you enjoy dinner at Beach blanket? Did they have a lot to pick from? I'm trying to decide if we should do this or just room service for dinner on the night our excursion gets back after our early dinner starts.

Thanks!

We didn't like it to be honest - although it could have been that particular night's menu (not horrible but just blah). It was a nice break from the main dining rooms though (which sometimes feel a little too over the top for me). I would give it a try, and it you don't like what they have, you could always order room service later. Or make a later Palo res for that night maybe? I would eat at Palo every night if I could!

Jodie

Day 15 – Cruise Day 5 (Juneau)

This morning after the usual Beach Blanket breakfast, all six of us took the cruise shuttle to town in order to catch the express bus to Mendenhall Glacier. We donned raincoats and carried our umbrellas since it was raining again. Once at the glacier, we walked around the visitor’s center for a bit (small fee) before walking the trail to Nugget Falls.

ry%3D480

Pic taken from Visitor's Center

ry%3D480

(Note that they do not allow food at the visitor’s center due to potential bear activity.)

I love hiking and enjoyed this little walk – even in the rain! We found the portion of the trail that ran from the main trail over to the sandy beach area washed out, so DD and I took off our shoes and braved the VERY COLD water to go over and walk around. Due to the rain and cold water, we had the place to ourselves for a while. Loved it here!

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

We walked back to the Visitor’s Center and walked the short Photo Point trail. Then we went inside and watched the glacier movie, which was wonderful – very informative. At this point, I wanted to go hike more trails, but DS, who was catching a cold, wanted to leave. Given the rain and the fact that he wasn’t feeling great, we decided to go back to Juneau and explore the town a bit before heading back to the Wonder.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Planning note: For those folks who do an early morning whale watching tour here in Juneau (or any other early tour), many tour companies will drop you off at Mendenhall after your tour is over (just make sure to eat first since no food is allowed here). You can then catch the express bus back to town for $10/person.

Once back in Juneau, we walked around town a bit, stopping in a coffee shop to dry off, warm up, use wifi and snack on coffee and pastries. We stopped briefly in a pharmacy to purchase cold medicine for DS and then caught the shuttle back to the ship. We just made it to Beach Blanket for lunch before they closed the doors. Unfortunately, I have no idea what we did between 2:30 and 5:00 (must take better notes next time!)

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Leaving Juneau (I miss the sun!)

Tonight’s show was the Toy Story production. Since we had seen this on a previous cruise, we opted for the 5:00 showing of the Avengers, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Post movie, DH, myself, Mom, and B went to Palo for our 7:30 reservation while the kids ate in the main dining room by themselves. Mom and B ordered a lovely bottle of pinot noir for the table (I fell in love with this particular wine when I had it on the Magic back in 2009 – very special), which was very generous of them! Our Palo meal was FABULOUS! The service was perfect and the food wonderful. I’ve already forgotten what I ordered as my main course, although I do remember having the chocolate soufflé for dessert. Many rave about the soufflé, but I thought it was just ok. I did, however, fantasize about drinking the little container of chocolate sauce that comes with it (yum)!

Between dinner and dessert, I heard someone somewhere utter the word “whale,” and I was up and outside in about 10 seconds to see quite a few humpbacks in the waters close to the ship. Too bad it was windy, cold, and rainy outside . . . otherwise I would have gladly skipped dessert to stand there and watch the whales. No pictures sadly, as I had left the camera back in our stateroom.

Our Palo dinner pretty much ended our activities for the day. Unfortunately, we missed the adult show that evening – Rich Purpura. We attended his family show later that week and found that he was hysterical! I’m so sorry we missed his adult performance and hope we have the opportunity to see him again one day.

Almost forgot to post this . . . cracked me up:

ry%3D480

The Navigator: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp-...s-Wonder-7N-Alaskan-Day-5-Juneau-20150710.pdf

Up tomorrow – AC/DC, bears, and eagles!

Last edited:
Where will you be staying? Biking in Stanley Park was a lot of fun. You could spend an entire day in Stanley Park going to beaches, the aquarium, etc. Loved it!

J
We are staying at Delta Suites. We have a young daughter and were planning on doing the bike rental as we saw you can rent an infant seat as well. We won't be renting a car so we will be walking or taking the shuttles (we are not lugging the car seat so no taxis for us) but it seems like most things are within walking distance or easy to get to by shuttles.

We were also thinking Granville Island and the suspension bridge as well. Trying to narrow things down with limited time to go now :)

The express bus to Mendenhall Glacier was that running frequently and easy to do? Would you say it would be manageable with a toddler (21 months)? We don't have any excursions booked for this port as we want to explore it on our own and planned to take a shuttle. Did you have cash to pay for it or was there a CC machine to pay for the fare?

Was it also roomy enough for a folding stroller as we plan on lugging ours around.

We are staying at Delta Suites. We have a young daughter and were planning on doing the bike rental as we saw you can rent an infant seat as well. We won't be renting a car so we will be walking or taking the shuttles (we are not lugging the car seat so no taxis for us) but it seems like most things are within walking distance or easy to get to by shuttles.

We were also thinking Granville Island and the suspension bridge as well. Trying to narrow things down with limited time to go now :)

We had the Delta booked as well initially. It seems like a very nice place and gets great reviews. We only switched after we saw the Westin promo, as it was closer to the park. You might be able to get a bike rental discount coupon from the hotel concierge. It saved us a few $$. Have fun!

J

The express bus to Mendenhall Glacier was that running frequently and easy to do? We don't have any excursions booked for this port as we want to explore it on our own and planned to take a shuttle. Did you have cash to pay for it or was there a CC machine to pay for the fare?

Was it also roomy enough for a folding stroller as we plan on lugging ours around.

Very easy! There are kiosks where you pay for the Mendenhall bus before boarding (manned by a person). They take credit cards or cash, and a round trip ticket was $20. I believe the bus runs every 30 minutes. You should have no problem with a stroller. A jog stroller would be better on the Nugget Falls trail, but I think a regular stroller will probably work too.

J

We didn't like it to be honest - although it could have been that particular night's menu (not horrible but just blah). It was a nice break from the main dining rooms though (which sometimes feel a little too over the top for me). I would give it a try, and it you don't like what they have, you could always order room service later. Or make a later Palo res for that night maybe? I would eat at Palo every night if I could!

Jodie

Thanks. I guess we can check out the menu and if it doesn't appeal to us, we can find something else. I have a Palo brunch booked but I'm traveling alone with my 9 year old so Palo dinner might not work. Really enjoying your report! We fly to Vancouver tomorrow!!

we stayed at the Delta Suites for two nights before our cruise and really enjoyed it because of its location, friendly and helpful staff, and overall cleanliness. would totally stay there again if/when we go back to Vancouver (because we definitely want to go back to Alaska!). well, maybe if we could stay at the Pan Pacific for $200/night then we would switch. ;)

you can see some pictures of our room at the Delta Suites in day 1 of my trip report: http://www.disboards.com/threads/an...l-cruise-it-was-7-6-7-13-2015-alaska.3430303/

Just gorgeous photos!! The scenery....the orcas!......the glaciers......ahhh so fantastic!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter