Pioneer woman mashed potatoes

maslex

DIS Veteran
Just getting any feedback on any body who has made the pioneer woman's mashed potatoes. Just curious if they come out too rich with all the butter and cream cheese. I was thinking of doing it for Thanksgiving this year but I don't know if it's one of those recipes to try out on a major holiday any thoughts

If it’s the ones with the roasted garlic, they’re delicious!! I will say I adjust amounts to taste and they are great!

My teen niece told her mom she likes the holidays I’m assigned mashed potatoes as I use this recipe snd it’s delicious!

Just getting any feedback on any body who has made the pioneer woman's mashed potatoes. Just curious if they come out too rich with all the butter and cream cheese. I was thinking of doing it for Thanksgiving this year but I don't know if it's one of those recipes to try out on a major holiday any thoughts
I made mashed potatoes with cream cheese once. It was a recipe that you could make ahead of time and then bake. My family didn't like it. They preferred "normal" mashed potatoes. The cream cheese changed the flavor and it didn't pair well with gravy. But if you want to try them then I would do a trial run on a different day. :)

We've made Martha Stewart's mom's recipe as make ahead mashed potatoes before. The recipes look similar. The amount of cream cheese makes them a little tangy, not as buttery as traditional mashed potatoes but somehow dense and rich. I would not choose the recipe if you eat your mashed potatoes with gravy. I use the cream cheese recipe (and add cheddar & parmesan) to make a cheesy mashed potato to serve with ham.

Okay I’ll admit to not being a major fan of PW (visions of green cans of powdered cheese make me laugh out loud) but reading the recipe it sounds great!. She seems to have found her level of knowledge 👍🏾

Okay I’ll admit to not being a major fan of PW (visions of green cans of powdered cheese make me laugh out loud) but reading the recipe it sounds great!. She seems to have found her level of knowledge 👍🏾
I'm 100% with you. 😆

:teeth: Hey now...I like the "green" powdered cheese...it makes a nice crust when breading or on top of certain casseroles. When I use over-processed canned or boxed ingredients in stuff, I call it "faking" or "fooking" (fake baking or cooking). :laughing:

I haven't made this particular recipe, but I have several of her cookbooks and most of the recipes I've tried have been good. What I usually do is search for her recipe online-go to the website and you'll see all the comments. That will usually give you an idea of how it turned out. Just scroll past the ones who say "Oh, this looks great, delicious, yummy," etc. I hate that, why comment if you haven't made the recipe, not helpful at all. Good luck.

We’ve done them and they were delish. Rachel Ray’ smashed potatoes are awesome too

:teeth: Hey now...I like the "green" powdered cheese...it makes a nice crust when breading or on top of certain casseroles. When I use over-processed canned or boxed ingredients in stuff, I call it "faking" or "fooking" (fake baking or cooking). :laughing:
See now y’all are making me flashback to Sandra Lee with all her culinary delights. I bet if she subbed mashed taters for the cinnamon chocolate frosting it could be two courses for the price of one. What a bargain!

🤣

I always laughed at those Sandra Lee 'cooking shows'. Most of the time she bought something already made from the grocery and then just put something on top and reheated it. Not surprised she is no longer on Food Network. I never figured out who exactly her style of 'cooking' would appeal to.

I found 17 mashed potato recipes on the Food Network associated with Pioneer Woman. Can the OP post the recipe link so we can see the ingredients/ratios? Mashed potato recipes can be a matter of personal preference. Adding some cream cheese, heavy cream, butter can improve them, but you can also go too far and they won't taste much like mashed potatoes anymore. The type of potato you use makes a big difference in the final product. Also if you overmix the potatoes, you can create a gummy consistency more like wall paper paste.

Last edited:
We always make PW’s make ahead mashed potatoes with cream cheese for Thanksgiving. They always turn out, they’re great with gravy, and it is so nice to have them done the day before.

I found 17 mashed potato recipes on the Food Network associated with Pioneer Woman. Can the OP post the recipe link so we can see the ingredients/ratios? Mashed potato recipes can be a matter of personal preference. Adding some cream cheese, heavy cream, butter can improve them, but you can also go too far and they won't taste much like mashed potatoes anymore. The type of potato you use makes a big difference in the final product. Also if you overmix the potatoes, you can create a gummy consistency more like wall paper paste.
Current fav mix on this end is equal parts Yukon and russets. Attempting to mash rm temperature or cold potatoes is a disaster of epic proportions. Solution? Heat them covered in a 225 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes. Never ask how I know this 😗

I always laughed at those Sandra Lee 'cooking shows'. Most of the time she bought something already made from the grocery and then just put something on top and reheated it. Not surprised she is no longer on Food Network. I never figured out who exactly her style of 'cooking' would appeal to.

This is the recipe I was originally asking about. Mind you, I would only be making 1/2 this recipe. And I also would not be using the shallots. But I've never made potatoes ahead of time and "reheated" them in the oven the day of..... https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/mashed-potatoes-two-ways-3166854

Can't say I know her specific recipe but never encountered mashed potatoes with butter and cream cheese that were too rich. They are delicious.

I am neither a fan of potatoes that are mashed (prefer au gratin) nor do I have any idea what the Pioneer Woman is. But if you like them, who cares if they are rich?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter