Pirates of the Feeding?

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by hertamaniac, Dec 11, 2017.

1. hertamaniac

hertamaniac Mouseketeer

Last week we were in line and watched a woman sit down on the floor queue and.......I've never seen this before and wasn't sure how to, if at all, react.

Anyone else see this at a Disney attraction? Should there be designated and discrete areas besides restrooms for this?

2. subtchr

subtchr DIS Veteran

Are you saying she was breastfeeding?

If so, more power to her! The law is that a mother is permitted to feed her baby anywhere. If it bothers you, don’t watch.

This thread will probably get shut down soon...

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Bring Back MARIE!

Not sure what you're saying. Was someone breastfeeding? If so, as long as they weren't purposely putting everything out there, I would have no issue with it. We saw many people near us in line and at dinner breastfeeding at DL last week.

Babies can feed for hours every day. Expecting someone to hide away to feed them in not realistic.

5. Klayfish

Klayfish DIS Veteran

Well, I sure hope it was breastfeeding, and not relieving themselves. :scared: :rotfl2:

6. CAS239

CAS239 Disney Vet Squad ∞

6DE0064B-4823-450F-88D9-FC1F8660E24F.jpeg

No there shouldn't be designated and discreet areas for it.. The bathrooms are not the designated place. Women can breastfeed where they please.

It's one thing for someone to do it for attention, but if the baby is hungry then their allowed to feed anywhere they need to

Miumiu4me, Carriemel, JEng711 and 7 others like this.
  7. hllb

hllb DIS Veteran

Yes, there should be designated areas for it (and probably are?) for mothers who aren't comfortable BFing in public. Those areas are not and shouldn't be required to use. I would hope that she was as modest as possible, but nothing wrong with her BFing while in line. Honestly, much of the time, you can't even tell they're feeding their baby.

8. KenHutch

KenHutch DIS Veteran

While I agree completely on a woman's right and need to breastfeed during our 2006 trip I must admit to seeing something that did shock me, we were in Tiki birds and a baby needed to feed. The young mother opposite us took off her entire top to feed the baby. I understand taking one out and doing what you have to but your entire top?

hertamaniac likes this.
  9. Surgie2

Surgie2 DIS Veteran

There are quiet places with rocking chairs for feeding babies in the Baby Care Center in each park. These locations also have diaper changing facilities, etc. That said, a mother certainly shouldn't feel required to go there for feeding her baby.

10. MommaBerd

MommaBerd DIS Veteran

And remember that there are guests from all over the world, where breastfeeding in public is just not a big deal. When we were there last, I saw an international mom breastfeeding while walking around Epcot and there was *no* attempt at discretion. It definitely raised some eyebrows and generated a few side comments. It made me feel a little uncomfortable, but at the same time I thought, “Good for her!” We are much too squeamish about such a natural thing.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Miumiu4me, Wendie, Crystal824 and 8 others like this.
  11. Farro

Farro It's a pasta! It's a grain! What?

Does it really make you that uncomfortable that you can't even type the words "breast feeding"?

abinormal, Miumiu4me, Calee and 8 others like this.
  12. lark

lark DIS Veteran

"There's a person breastfeeding" is about right.

Imagine she were tying her shoe. How would you react? Do the same.

Easy peasy. Now you know!

abinormal, Wendie, REEREEG and 12 others like this.
  13. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Bring Back MARIE!

There are places in the baby center for those who are uncomfortable feeding out in the parks. And agreed, they should not be required of anyone.
    I would rather international guests understand the norms where they are visiting and not completely undress to feed. But the sight would not cause me distress.

14. sponica

sponica Mouseketeer

I'm always amused by this issue...the Victorias Secret lingerie show crashes the internet, the SI swimsuit issue sells a ton, but you go and use those body parts for their intended purpose it's always "HOW DARE YOU?"

abinormal, Miumiu4me, Wendie and 21 others like this.
  15. AncientSoul

AncientSoul Earning My Ears

Exactly!! Breasts serve a much higher purpose, you know. Just because they're not bouncing perkily on some runway as eye candy doesn't mean they can't be used for their actual purpose. Society has forgotten exactly what they're meant for.

rlk, Nayan, seshat0120 and 1 other person like this.
  16. hertamaniac

hertamaniac Mouseketeer

Not at all....breast feeding or breastfeeding.

17. DrunkJam

DrunkJam DIS Veteran

Seriously, you can't type breast feeding?
    What would you rather? Leave a hungry baby to scream because there is a queue?
    Why does this cause ANY problem?

MischaOz and leiaorgana like this.
  18. hertamaniac

hertamaniac Mouseketeer

Well, if someone was tying there shoe, I wouldn't say "There's a person tying there shoe". It would go completely unsaid/unnoticed.

19. marcyleecorgan

marcyleecorgan DIS Veteran

... The ULTIMATE Quick Service Meal!

Seriously I would much rather hear a hangry babay NOT screaming their head off...

My DD refused all quiet places, all covers and all forms of modesty. So yeah I was "that" mom with her whole breast hanging out to the wind, being totally oblivious (not really, just practicing my disassociation hahaha). Baby wanted to people watch while she fed... *sigh* That's easier than having to pump on an airplane or in an airport terminal, LOL!!!

m3owbox and hertamaniac like this.
  20. paisleys

paisleys Mouseketeer

I think I saw this woman heading into the Mexico pavilion at the wine fest this year! At first I just thought it was someone drunk not realizing their top was almost entirely off, then I saw the little baby.. it was a bit much. The pirate feeding...big deal! It's dark and lately that ride line has been seriously long. When a baby needs to eat they need to eat.

MommaBerd and hertamaniac like this.
  21. hllb

hllb DIS Veteran

To be fair, I don't show those things to my young child so I never understood this comparison. And I don't think people should remove their ENTIRE SHIRT to BF. There's just no need. And yet, I have seen that. While it's perfectly natural and they can do it where they wish (yes, I do believe that), there are some who could really learn a bit of modesty.

ajwolfe and hertamaniac like this.