Places to visit that are not miserably hot in August?

It costs a pretty penny but the sightlines from a lakeview room at the Fairmont is amazing.

Yeah when I got new windows at our house in Seattle they asked me if I wanted window screens. I had to get him to repeat that twice. Screens? Doesn't everyone have screens? He said no as there are very few bugs. I agreed but said yes I want screens because there aren't zero bugs either.
This was so weird to me when I began visiting Scotland. No one has screens or a/c.

That has been our whole summer goal in recent years. We go late June/early July. We have loved Mackinac Island, Michigan, Ireland😍, and the North East US (Maine, Vermont. Cape Cod). Currently planning Scotland for next summer.
We got married in summer in Scotland years ago, it rained the entire week! We try to go in April or May. It gets muggy. But it cools right down at night. It’s my favorite place in the world especially the Isle of Skye. My in laws joke that last summer was lovely. It was on a Tuesday.

If you haven't been, Michigan is beautiful in the summer. You said you like little towns and festivals - Grand Haven, Holland, Traverse City, Mackinaw Island, and the UP (upper peninsula) are all places to consider.

People who haven't been associate Detroit as all of Michigan. Couldn't be further from the truth. Michigan is a gorgeous state.

*edited, grammar

I, too, was going to suggest Michigan. I would add the Tahquamenon Falls and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the UP. Of course, Mackinac Island is fabulous.

Traverse City is very nice. Right on Grand Traverse Bay. You could go to the Sleeping Bear Dunes easily from there. Cute towns to explore. Lots of shops and restaurants.

Michigan has a lot to offer.

Trying to convince DH that Mackinac Island would be fun. It‘s been on my list ever since I watched Somewhere in Time!
I have wanted to go there forever like no cars on the island seems adorable and even looked last month but it seems a fortune to get there and then a long drive.

This was so weird to me when I began visiting Scotland. No one has screens or a/c.
🤣and 😭 I don't know whether to laugh or cry! Both window screens and a/c in homes are very rare over here. That, also, means they are expensive. I'd love to have both, though. As @MillauFr said about Seattle, it's not as is if there are zero bugs!!
Trying to convince DH that Mackinac Island would be fun. It‘s been on my list ever since I watched Somewhere in Time!
Yes, go! I love it there. 😍
We got married in summer in Scotland years ago, it rained the entire week! We try to go in April or May. It gets muggy. But it cools right down at night. It’s my favorite place in the world especially the Isle of Skye. My in laws joke that last summer was lovely. It was on a Tuesday.
Ah, the challenge of vacationing in the UK. Summer over here is difficult to beat when it's sunny, but we're "green and pleasant" (William Blake) because of all the rain. ...Well, green. Maybe, grumpy because of it, too! 🤣

I have wanted to go there forever like no cars on the island seems adorable and even looked last month but it seems a fortune to get there and then a long drive.
My DD went and had a ball. They also went to Frankenmuth which is also on my list. She was out there for a wedding and extended a bit.

🤣and 😭 I don't know whether to laugh or cry! Both window screens and a/c in homes are very rare over here. That, also, means they are expensive. I'd love to have both, though. As @MillauFr said about Seattle, it's not as is if there are zero bugs!!

Yes, go! I love it there. 😍

Ah, the challenge of vacationing in the UK. Summer over here is difficult to beat when it's sunny, but we're "green and pleasant" (William Blake) because of all the rain. ...Well, green. Maybe, grumpy because of it, too! 🤣
I was dying watching Billy Connolly talk about the weather. Hilarious!
My husband swears midgies are afraid to come inside. Lol

OK, clearly you haven't been to Michigan then!! :teeth:

I guess my question to you is what temps are you actually comfortable at then?
Things get weird with how I feel once it gets above 80, like I can move in small amounts but I really don't feel so great. I want to do stuff but I also don't want to tip over like a fainting goat.

I was grateful when Christina Applegate started to speak out a bit about how weird it is to have offbeat autoimmune stuff going on including how temperature can be a thing, love her for being who she is.

All the suggestions are so valuable.

Just be careful with NYS, it is super hot and humid in the Hudson Valley. I have not been up to Lake George in the summer so I can't speak for that area. NY is huge so I'm sure it all depends on where you are etc. And there is no way to determine which month will be worse than the other. Last year July was brutal (if I recall) and parts of August were not that bad. It's mainly the humidity although temps are usually in the 80s. We have stretches of 90s as well.

We are doing Maine this summer. 3 days in Boothbay Harbor in a rental home from VRBO, 3 days in Bar Harbor at Under Canvas Acadia in the Cadillac Mountain Suite tent. 6 adults and the dog!
I am a little concerned about the lack of power but we have bathrooms. :rotfl2:

https://www.undercanvas.com/camps/acadia/

As others have noted, parts of upstate NY can be pretty cool during the summer. Adirondacks are the first thing coming to mind for those parts.

Personally, we like the mountain towns in the Rockies during the summer. Estes Park, just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park is one of my faves. Anything outside of Yellowstone and Grand Teton, if you can find lodging, is also pretty nice. If Grand Teton, I'd focus on Jackson/Jackson Hole. If Yellowstone, most people opt for West Yellowstone if staying outside of the park, but I prefer Gardiner. Cody is also an option, but Cody gets a little warmer and Cody is more of a drive in and out of the park. Anything around Glacier in Montana should also offer nice temps, but it books up really early so I'd get right on it if that's of interest. Crossing the border into Canada and looking at Banff and Calgary is also a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter