Plan my Alauni trip for me :) Feb 17-22

jacobzking

Mouseketeer
Hey guys! First time to Oahu/Alauni. We arrive late on Weds February 17 and leave early on Mon the 22nd. So we basically have 4 full days (Thurs-Sunday). Celebrating my 40th in Hawaii since Disneyland is still gonna be closed :(

We WILL have a rental car. Its my wife, 4, 11 and 16 year old kids, and me.

I'm VERY open to just about anything on the island. Would love recommendations on tour companies, etc... I'm not rich by any means, but will have a few grand to spend on activities, dining, etc.

Pearl Harbor?
Helicopter tour?
Scuba (non certified/training dive... have done that before)?
Any fun places to drive?
Tiki Bars?
Cool restaurants?

My wife and I went to Hawaii (Big Island) once about 10 years ago, but that's the only time any of us have ever been. And we probably won't be going back any time too soon (too expensive to do on a regular basis lol).

Thanks in advance!!!

Happy Birthday!

Pearl Harbor : You can reserve USS Arizona tickets ahead and no need to pay for a tour. https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

Also a lot of great info on Trip Advisor Forum so I'd recommend taking a look there and at trip reports here to see what others have done and your family might be interested in.

Just curious what testing site you will use for your family. We will be traveling from the east coast so looking at Vault and Walgreens as a back up.

Just curious what testing site you will use for your family. We will be traveling from the east coast so looking at Vault and Walgreens as a back up.

Thanks! Yeah, so far looking at Pearl Harbor, Dole tour, cage diving with sharks and maybe a Jurassic Park/World tour.

For Covid Testing, probably Walgreens (we're in TX and there's a lot of Walgreens testing availability). I do get VERY nervous about that part of the trip and won't be at ease till I have my QR code and am boarded on the plane lol.

If you have a car, there's no need to work with any tour companies. You're better off scheduling things on your own to allow for the most flexibility. The only benefit of utilizing tour companies is that most provide transportation, but that's usually from Waikiki area hotels. There are few that offer it from Ko Olina, where Aulani is located, and the ones that do are expensive.

Pearl Harbor?
Pearl Harbor : You can reserve USS Arizona tickets ahead and no need to pay for a tour.
Unless things have changed in the current environment, Arizona tickets need to be reserved at the 60 day mark and they go quickly. OP is already within that window if traveling in February. Because of that, you should plan to arrive at Pearl Harbor early (prior to opening) and line up in order to obtain standby tickets. Tour times are given out in order, so the further back in the line you are, the later your tour time. Afternoon tour times are challenging because its too time consuming and far to go back to Aulani, but there's not much to do in the immediate vicinity to kill time. Its also challenging to find parking there if you leave and come back. So lining up early to hopefully obtain a morning tour time is best case scenario.

Pearl Harbor is the only place that may be worthwhile to look into a tour company as they will facilitate getting your tour tickets for you. We used Discover Hawaii tours, but it included pick up and drop off from our hotel in Waikiki when we did it. I'm not sure if they have options otherwise. Our tour was for 9:15am if I recall correctly.

I'd also caution not to leave anything of value in your car as vehicle break-ins are rampant in Hawaii, and particularly so at Pearl Harbor. You're not allowed to bring bags inside, but they have a bag check outside for a couple of bucks per bag. We opted to use this rather than try to go without a bag for the day.

Any fun places to drive?
IMO, the North Shore and the windward side of the island are not to be missed. Kailua, which is on the windward side, had the most beautiful beaches we saw during our entire trip. Warm, clear water, powder white sand, easy swimming. The lagoon at Aulani is man-made and while its warm, there's a drop-off where it gets deep and the sand is brown and coarse and gets scorching on the feet.

You mentioned above you may be interested in the Jurassic Park stuff - that's at Kualoa Ranch, which is also on the windward side. It would be easy to plan a morning tour at the ranch and spend the afternoon in Kailua. We did this and it worked out well. I highly recommend the VIP Movie Tour at Kualoa Ranch - its a small tour in a private vehicle that takes you to the Jurassic Park stuff, including the Indominous Rex pen from Jurassic World which was very cool. I'm sure they've added and changed stuff on the tour since we were there, but we thought it was well worth it and better than the standard tour which is done a school bus with no AC. I would recommending reserving a tour time ASAP - when we were there, the tour was only offered twice a day (and we preferred the morning one) and it was limited to 12 passengers. In the current environment, I'd imagine they need to distance people so I'm not sure if its even more limited or how that's even being handled.

The North Shore was one of our favorite locations. Haleiwa is a great little town. With kids, definitely stop at Matsumoto for shave ice. Drive along the main road and you'll come upon a busy area at the beach where there are often sea turtles (Laniakea Beach). We did Waimea Valley which I would not do again. We also did the Dole Plantation which is on the way to Haleiwa. Dole is not something we'd do again either, but it was a fun touristy stop and would likely be fun for kids.

I would also suggest spending at least an evening in Waikiki for dinner. Its so different than anywhere else on the island, and there's a ton of great shopping, dining, people watching. Its easy to walk the whole strip and family friendly.

Cool restaurants?
Kono's is a quick service spot with locations in both Kailua and Haleiwa. Best food we ate the whole trip! The shrimp trucks in Haleiwa are also a popular stop, though they are literally food trucks with picnic table seating. Leonard's malasadas are also a must try - they have a food truck you can see from the highway on the way to Aulani. Anna Miller's is an often recommended diner spot that's very inexpensive and known for pies near the Pearl Harbor area. We had a great buffet lunch at Kualoa Ranch, where everything was grown right at the ranch (including the meat). We enjoyed Monkeypod across the street from Aulani a few times - unique dishes and good happy hour prices. Tons of restaurants to choose from in Waikiki as well - Duke's is a classic with gorgeous views. House without a Key is recommended for something a touch nicer.

Last edited:

Not sure with covid restrictions on certain things being open or not, but with a rental car I suggest an audio self guided tour. We used Shaka Guide's full circle and North Shore tours. We saved the Full Circle tour for our departing day, and really wished we had done it earlier in the trip, so we had more time and beach stuff available (think swim suits and towels or ability to remove sand before heading to airport). Both "tours" were awesome and full of information and little tidbits and interesting stories.Shaka tours

Not sure with covid restrictions on certain things being open or not, but with a rental car I suggest an audio self guided tour. We used Shaka Guide's full circle and North Shore tours. We saved the Full Circle tour for our departing day, and really wished we had done it earlier in the trip, so we had more time and beach stuff available (think swim suits and towels or ability to remove sand before heading to airport). Both "tours" were awesome and full of information and little tidbits and interesting stories.Shaka tours
I was looking at doing a private guided tour.....this is a great suggesstion and will save me a bundle/can use it for another acitvity instead!!!!! It looks really well done after perusing their website. THANKS!

For your age groups, definitely do a day trip out to Kualoa Ranch and the North Shore. Get some shave ice and eat at a shrimp truck. With a family, don't hesitate to go into Kapolei and do some meals--Chun Wah Kam Noodle factory, KOA Pancake House, DB Grill, etc. You can find lots of good food at reasonable (for Hawaii) prices. Take the kids and have a fun time at Dole Plantation. Go hike Wailea Falls, and the rest of your time, enjoy Aulani. You can get quick eats and little stuff at the ABC Market across the street. Unless you have lots of extra $$$ that you don't want, avoid AmaAma. Don't do Bishop Museum or the palace this trip--too long and you'd be better to go pay for your kids to do a snorkel session at Rainbow Reef. Have a great trip!

Pearl Harbor?
Definite yes. Reserve tickets far in advance.
Helicopter tour?
We did not do this. Looked into it and it was very expensive.
Scuba (non certified/training dive... have done that before)?
We did the snorkeling at Aulani and enjoyed it. The water was cool but the experience was outstanding. What trips me up with your plans is your 4 year old. Unless you can split up your group, the 4 year old will have a hard time, even at Aulani. My 6 year old struggled with the snorkeling at Aulani because of the colder water and breathing through the snorkel.
Any fun places to drive?
We drove up along the north shore and really enjoyed.
Tiki Bars? Cool restaurants?
We loved Monkeypod across the street from Aulani. I eat more vegetarian, but my husband said the burger he got from Seven Brothers on the north shore was the best he has ever had.

Will you see a luau? We loved our luau and felt like it gave us a good experience of the culture. We did the one at Aulani.

I highly recommend the Kualoa Ranch. They have great customer service and we loved our tour there. We did a tour that I don't see on their website right now, but it was about half movie stuff and half culture. https://www.kualoa.com

I do not recommend the Polynesian Cultural Center. We thought it was overpriced and we felt like we wasted our time there.

We loved Matsumoto's shaved ice!

I recommend slotting as much time as you can for just enjoying Aulani. I over planned and wish I would have planned more time to just sit at the pool.

My family went on a morning catamaran excursion right there at the Aulani. You'll see HAWAAIIAN Ocean Adventures catamaran right there at the Aulani beach. You can ask them about their offerings and schedules. We had a great time. They are great with families and young kids welcome. We went last year for Thanksgiving morning and it was one of the best things and memories we did on our visit. It's was a beautiful morning and the scenery was great. We saw some turtles and lots of coral reefs. It was a perfect family morning. Then we had most of the day to enjoy the Lazy river, and Aulani offerings. They have longer day catamaran excursions that you can inquire about at the Aulani.

Get some fresh hot malasadas at Leonard's bakery truck. It is a short drive to Kapolei. https://www.leonardshawaii.com/malasadamobile/

Target and Costco are very close by to Aulani so I usually will buy all our sunscreen there. You can also get all your Hawaii souvenirs and any candy you want to bring home from Target or Costco.

Honestly, your kids will just want to stick around the Aulani to enjoy all the pools and beach. Just pick a couple day excursions. The Aulani is pretty slow in the evening so those are good times to go out in the evening to eat and explore what the island has to offer. Enjoy your family time and the Aulani.

ok, so like $15 per night roughly? That's not bad. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't gonna be like $100 per night. Thanks!
As the chart shows the cost per night it could be significantly higher. Just depends on the size of the room.

My family went on a morning catamaran excursion right there at the Aulani. You'll see HAWAAIIAN Ocean Adventures catamaran right there at the Aulani beach. You can ask them about their offerings and schedules. We had a great time. They are great with families and young kids welcome. We went last year for Thanksgiving morning and it was one of the best things and memories we did on our visit. It's was a beautiful morning and the scenery was great. We saw some turtles and lots of coral reefs. It was a perfect family morning. Then we had most of the day to enjoy the Lazy river, and Aulani offerings. They have longer day catamaran excursions that you can inquire about at the Aulani.

Get some fresh hot malasadas at Leonard's bakery truck. It is a short drive to Kapolei. https://www.leonardshawaii.com/malasadamobile/

Target and Costco are very close by to Aulani so I usually will buy all our sunscreen there. You can also get all your Hawaii souvenirs and any candy you want to bring home from Target or Costco.

Honestly, your kids will just want to stick around the Aulani to enjoy all the pools and beach. Just pick a couple day excursions. The Aulani is pretty slow in the evening so those are good times to go out in the evening to eat and explore what the island has to offer. Enjoy your family time and the Aulani.
When I clicked on the website for Leonard’s mobile truck, it said that it is closed/moved to windward mall starting Jan 2nd. I wanted others to know and check before they pan to go

Thanks! Yeah, so far looking at Pearl Harbor, Dole tour, cage diving with sharks and maybe a Jurassic Park/World tour.

For Covid Testing, probably Walgreens (we're in TX and there's a lot of Walgreens testing availability). I do get VERY nervous about that part of the trip and won't be at ease till I have my QR code and am boarded on the plane lol.
Have you done the gage diving with sharks? This is on my husbands bucket list and I would love to surprise him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter