Planes, Trains & Antitussives, Alaksan Wonder Cruise - All done! Complete 11/21

Mmmmm, an amaretto souffle sounds divine! I hope that's still on the menu this time next year!

The decorations on your door look very nice and noticeable.

Glad you were able to relax on the ship until dinner at Palo. The meal looks amazing.

I thought it was appropriate to show you my door with the limited decorations that I have. You see all my magnets are in my fish extender and well….

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Whatever works!

The show this night was Finding Dory and my parents went to see it. I'm sure Fran and I will see it eventually, like when we can record it on our DVR :sad2: We still haven’t seen it. She wore her “Finding Dory” Ren Spooner shirt to the park last Wednesday and I told her that we really need to see it if she wants to wear that shirt.

That seems like a sensible rule to me.

Fran wasn't willing to share her Caprese salad, in fact she arrived at the restaurant in a crappy mood. Somewhere in there it got better.

She can do one of those Snickers commercials. "You get a little grumpy when you're hungry."

DSCN0022.jpg

Wow. It's like a whole dissection from 6th grade science class.

Ahhhh...:goodvibes

Oh, how annoying.

Yeah, it was, but what can you do?

They look very nice.

I even brought them home so that I could use them on future cruises!

I am glad that you managed to sort this out. At least I hope it is sorted.

Almost, next update there is still a challenge.

Score. I like the idea of having a private Jacuzzi. I am hoping the same may happen every now and again on our transatlantic cruise.

I am now spoiled by my own private jacuzzi. I'm not sure the ones on the ships will have as much appeal to me now!

I am in the same position.

Since today is the last day it's in theaters and we aren't going to see it, we'll have to wait until we can see it on the DVR.

I am not sure that I would have liked the green stuff on top, whatever this was.

I'm guessing it's Basil, but it would be easily removed.

This is a really lovely photo.

Thanks!

Now that sounds good to me. I think if we do end up on the Wonder next year, I may have to try this.

I absolutely loved it!

Sorry for being so absent. I have been lurking all along and love your tales of your Alaska cruise. It all sounds so amazing!! This is definitely an experience that is on my bucket list!!

Well, I'm glad you have been lurking along. I've been very busy this past week and I need to catch up too!

Did he feel badly enough that he comped you a drink?

Not quite, that's two updates away!

But, but... you had your suit on, right?

Well yeah, you know the rules! If friends or guests are present, suit is required. It's only at home or if you're house sitting that you can go commando!

Uh oooooh... Glad it improved so everyone could enjoy dinner more.

Eventually we were all enjoying dinner.

Nice update!

Glad that you had a relaxing time in the Jacuzzi, awesome that you had one to yourself.

I found out later how unique that was!

Sorry you forgot your FE.

Yeah, and it may be the last time I do one. I finally just cleaned all the stuff that I got off the guest bed, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all the stuff. A lot of it is stuff I don't need or will use.

Sounds like a great dinner at Palo. I Saw a few things that I would order from the pics of the menu. Was this a different menu for Alaska or the same as usual?

This was pretty much the same menu they offer. There were a few specials for Alaska, but I think they told us about those, rather than have them on the menu.

Nope. Yellow. Because, science.

:confused3

Really! Wow. Who doesn't like pie!?!?

I want pie right now.

Well make yourself one. You're on vacation!

Ummm... it's been a few days, so you're due.

And since you posted that a week ago, I'll say it again, "you're nuts", but at least you didn't take that shift at work!

Could be. I didn't see anything on a quick Google search to back it up and I don't live up there anymore to ask.

It shall remain a mystery forever.

So I see! Interesting.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Tide reports. It appears that only in Skagway is this a real issue.

Yeah well beggars can't be choosers when you leave your stuff behind.

mmm that looks good.

I love that drink. I'm glad that they have it on all the ships!

Phew! How much were you panicking when you couldn't find any pharmacies?

Well it wasn't that I couldn't find ANY pharmacies, Costco was a 30 minute drive away, but I was willing to take a cab there if I had to.

I believe you.

Thank you.

::yes:: The worst is when there are kids in there yelling and splashing.

The best part is that this is the adults only area, so there are no kids, at least kids under 18.

Yup and as of today it has closed in theaters so we're not seein it.

Well, that's understandable considering she was feeling crappy.
Might as well have the mood to go with it.

The story of my life.

That looks so good. Want.
(Even though I just made some a couple of days ago.)

Well now it's been a while, you can make it again. I make it from Trader Joe's mix as I'm too lazy.

Fran looks pretty good for being under the weather.

She was feeling a little better due to the antibiotics.

Don't jump, Minnie!!

:rotfl2:

Oh, man.... I love rack of lamb... and haven't had it in years.

You need to rectify that! I love Rack of Lamb and order it at almost every chance I get. Rarely do I make it at home, but I think I actually have some in the freezer. Perhaps I should get it out and put it in the rotation!

Looks like quite the production. Was it worth it?

My Dad didn't say, but I think he ate it all.

That good, huh?

::yes::

Looks like the critter from Alien.

OK, not sure what it was!

Btw, using watched threads is totally messing me up. If I can't read everything as soon as I get the alert, I end up losing track of where I am in the threads!

But then you can always click on "All Watched Threads" at the bottom and try to figure out where you were and catch up!

Alaska is just soooooo beautiful!

You're poor little plastic bag FE. :( Clever though using the room decor as door decorations!

It is beautiful, I can't believe I forgot my FE!

Dinner looks fabulous especially your lamb and the Sole. Were those sundried tomatoes and capers on the Sole? :cloud9:

I think so, my Dad is not big on commenting on his food.

How adorable is Alaska Minnie?

Isn't she cute?

Joining! Just read your whole report so I'm all caught up! The pictures are so beautiful, can't wait to see more!

:welcome: Wow! that was quite a time investment! I'm hoping to get more up soon. It has been a CRAZY last week!

Huh...?

:confused::confused3

But what about when the adults are in there yelling and splashing? Not that I'd ever do that, but...?

I'll let the two you hash this one out.

I loved your photos of the high tide. I was singing to myself the Blondie song 'The tide is high and I'm moving on'

:rotfl2:

Lol. I was laughing so much at your make shift FE! Loving your cute magnets.

Yeah, and probably my last time in the FE, but I'll keep putting it out and see if stuff shows up!

I have not seen the buisness centre before on any of the cruise ships so thank you for the photo. Quite impressive. Did they charge a fee? That was great the a Pharmacy in Juneau had the meds in stock.

I remember we had to use it on our first cruise and it wasn't good. Our employee left in charge of the shop did nothing for like the entire time we were on the cruise (back when they only had 3 & 4 day cruises). I now know where it is, but we always bring a computer now.

How delightful a Palo reservation. I am glad this placed a smile on Fran's face after feeling melancholy. I love the photo of you both.

Thanks!

Your selection of food looks good. The problem with that restaurant is selecting. Too many good things. Caught between the Dover sole and the scallops. They cook these to perfection in my book. Too many places over cook.

I know! They make everything so well, it's hard to choose!

I love Minnie's Alaska outfit how cute!

Isn't she though?

Yum soufflé. I think it is great they offer an alternative to chocolate. Again shows how good the chefs are. Too many places will not go near this fabulous dessert. Too difficult to achieve. Very impressive for the small surcharge fee in my humble view. You would pay frightful amounts to dine in a place like that in the UK. Probably at least $200 a head.

Yeah we price a similar meal around $100 here in the US. The $30 they charge is a bargain because you can have all you want!

Exactly! Glad you get it.

:confused3 I don't!!!!!!!

Depends on what they're doing that's causing the splashing.

I'm not sure I want know about this one....

Mmmmm, an amaretto souffle sounds divine! I hope that's still on the menu this time next year!

I'm sure it will be! It's way too good not to be!

Ugh, you're impossible.

I agree

See above.

Huh?

And here I'd always thought I was improbable.

OK, you two are losing me

I thought it was below. Huh.

OK, I think that is meant to be a dirty comment.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Whatever works!

Yeah, that's what I ended up saying when I realized that I never packed it! :lmao:

That seems like a sensible rule to me.

Yeah well except Finding Dory is now out of theaters as of today. So she can't wear the shirt!

She can do one of those Snickers commercials. "You get a little grumpy when you're hungry."

Perfect!

Wow. It's like a whole dissection from 6th grade science class.

Hey! I didn't get to do that stuff until 10th grade and even then I skipped biology and took Chemistry because I didn't want to dissect frogs. They were my pets several years before.

I did finally get a good sunset. Most of the time we were in the main dining room.

So, not Mr. Incredible? Mr. Improbable? Has a unique ring to it.

:rolleyes1

Curiouser and curiouser...

Yeah me too...

duh, duh, duuunnnnn.....

You will find out eventually, but I need to get the next update finished before I can start on the following!

My name is Steppe, and I approve of this message!

I'm glad! :teeth:

Btw, using watched threads is totally messing me up. If I can't read everything as soon as I get the alert, I end up losing track of where I am in the threads!

Actually, the "new" (not so new anymore, but in order to differentiate from the previous one) software on the boards has a great feature that it remembers where you left off in a thread. A thread that has unread posts will appear in bold and as long as you click on the title of the thread it should take you to the first unread post. Sometimes it does not work and it goes to the first page, but then you have a button on the top next to the page numbers that says "Go To First Unread" and if you click on that it should take you to the first unread post. For example if you read only one or two pages of a thread it will also remember this and the next time you click on it, it will take you to the third page. Or if you read the whole thread, the next time you click on it, it will take you to the first new post in the thread. For me this was one of the best new features when they changed the software as I now never lose my spot in a thread. With the old software, it automatically said that you had read every thread once you logged into the boards, now it really remembers your spot in each individual thread. I hope my explanation makes sense!

Attempt #2 at replying.
Man, the DIS really needs to cull some of these ads.

Well make yourself one. You're on vacation!

That's just it. I'm on vacation.
I may buy one.

And since you posted that a week ago, I'll say it again, "you're nuts", but at least you didn't take that shift at work!

Yeah. Just... no.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Tide reports. It appears that only in Skagway is this a real issue.

Oh? Interesting.

Well it wasn't that I couldn't find ANY pharmacies, Costco was a 30 minute drive away, but I was willing to take a cab there if I had to.

ah

The story of my life.

:laughing: Poor Alison.

You need to rectify that! I love Rack of Lamb and order it at almost every chance I get. Rarely do I make it at home, but I think I actually have some in the freezer. Perhaps I should get it out and put it in the rotation!

I've never made it. Been a little afraid to not make it as good as I've had it.

Really should just man up and do it.

:confused3 I don't!!!!!!!

Yes! Exactly.

I'm not sure I want know about this one....

Scared ya, did we?

OK, you two are losing me

Mission accomplished!

OK, I think that is meant to be a dirty comment.

What??? From little ol' me?
I'm crushed.

Actually, the "new" (not so new anymore, but in order to differentiate from the previous one) software on the boards has a great feature that it remembers where you left off in a thread.

I know exactly what her frustration is. The new software does remember what page of the thread you have been to, but it does not remember if you read all the way down the page. Sometimes when a writer of TRs cam be somewhat wordy, (yes I know I can be guilty of that myself), I might not make it all the way through an update the first time I attempt to read it. That usually happens when I read from my phone. If I don't finish the update, I try to keep that page open on my phone so I know where to pick it up again. Otherwise when I click on the thread on my computer, it takes me to the next "unread post" after the update I never finished.
I agree that it is way better than the DIS used to be, but I do understand where she is frustrated. It's just hard to keep up as I am finding with all the stuff going on right now.

That's just it. I'm on vacation.
I may buy one.

I'm sure you must have some reputable pie vendors up there! We have a great local chain here, we got a peach pie earlier in the summer and it was just divine!

Next update all will be revealed. Hopefully today or tomorrow.

I've never made it. Been a little afraid to not make it as good as I've had it.

It's actually quite easy and only takes about 15 minutes in the oven and however long to sear it and get a nice crust on it.

Really should just man up and do it.

I was going to post a recipe, but I'm replying from my phone, so, no.

Mission accomplished!

OK got it.

What??? From little ol' me?
I'm crushed.

Don't act so innocent....

I know exactly what her frustration is. The new software does remember what page of the thread you have been to, but it does not remember if you read all the way down the page. Sometimes when a writer of TRs cam be somewhat wordy, (yes I know I can be guilty of that myself), I might not make it all the way through an update the first time I attempt to read it. That usually happens when I read from my phone. If I don't finish the update, I try to keep that page open on my phone so I know where to pick it up again. Otherwise when I click on the thread on my computer, it takes me to the next "unread post" after the update I never finished.
I agree that it is way better than the DIS used to be, but I do understand where she is frustrated. It's just hard to keep up as I am finding with all the stuff going on right now.

That, plus sometimes, there will be, say, 3 or 4 alerts at once, and I only have time to get to one or 2 two threads. And then I forget which ones I hadn't gotten around to reading, until I realize that I haven't read one in a week and maybe I've missed something! It was easier when I was just following stuff in TRs and PTRs - I'd just scroll and look for the ones that I'd replied to (with the little extra avatar icon), and click on those, and it would take me to the first unread post. And since PTRs are right under TRs, it was easy to go back and forth.

Juts hanging out at work....waiting for an update.....:hyper:

I missed this one earlier! Trying!

That, plus sometimes, there will be, say, 3 or 4 alerts at once, and I only have time to get to one or 2 two threads. And then I forget which ones I hadn't gotten around to reading, until I realize that I haven't read one in a week and maybe I've missed something! It was easier when I was just following stuff in TRs and PTRs - I'd just scroll and look for the ones that I'd replied to (with the little extra avatar icon), and click on those, and it would take me to the first unread post. And since PTRs are right under TRs, it was easy to go back and forth.

I've always had threads in multiple forums so it was much easier to follow using the UserCP, then when I found out the "Watched Threads" was similar I used that. There is no easy way to keep unless you are retired and have nothing else going on in your life. Real life gets in the way of online life!

Day 8

Today I woke up to the ship docking in Juneau. It was 6:45 AM. I believe that I did wake up for a potty stop around 4AM and found that the sun was already up. That was no surprise as it only set at 10PM. Here is a look at the Harbor.

Today I was on a mission, but I couldn't start too early. The pharmacy opened at 9AM. Originally when I mapped us from the port of Juneau Google said it was 2 minutes away, and that would have been true if we were the first ship docked, but we were not. We were the 4th ship docked and the farthest ship from town. When Google finally found my location it said that walking would be 30 minutes to the pharmacy. I decided I would take a taxi if necessary.

I got an Americano from the Cove Café and headed down to deck 1 where they were disembarking the ship. I was informed that I could not take any food of any sort into Alaska besides bottled water, so I went back up to deck 9 and finished my coffee. I still had plenty of time to get to the pharmacy as I found out from Guest services that there was a complimentary shuttle from the port to the Tramway. The Tramway was nowhere near the center of town, but it did put me substantially closer to the pharmacy. Like at least two cruise ships closer.

I used Google maps to guide me to where I was going and I arrived five minutes before they opened. I walked through the town and it had really sprung up since the last time I was here. It was very commercial. In the area around the Tramway, there were tons of ticket places where you could get Whale Watching ferries, trips to the Mendenhall Glacier, helicopter adventures, all sorts of activities. For whatever reason I didn’t take pictures of all that.

These Diamonds International and Tanzanite International companies are everywhere. I’m pretty sure they have contracts with the cruise ships.

There was a whole section dedicated to International Food Trucks and kiosks.

On our last trip, we made it a point to visit the Red Dog Saloon, but this time it wasn’t calling to us. Also, it wasn’t smack in the middle of town. None of the stuff I showed you previously was there on my last trip if I remember correctly.

I continued up the street as Google Maps was directing me.

It became less and less commercial and more “small towney”.

Then I found it! My destination! It was still about 10 to 9AM so I just sat across the street on a bench checking the DIS and playing the “open, open, open” game.

I gave them the printed out email prescription and they wouldn't accept it, so I called Dr J and got her voice mail. Luckily she called right back and said she would call in the prescription.

It took a little bit to fill but by 10AM I was on my way back to the Tram where I could catch the Shuttle back to the ship. As soon as I left the pharmacy, I popped two of the little coughing pellets! Finally I could take them again, we had rationed them so well and I believe Fran may have had one left. I also picked up an inhaler that was supposed to help suppress her cough.

Why a Taqueria in Alaska. BTW you can’t see it in the picture, but just to the right of this shot is the first cruise ship in port. I believe this is where we were docked last time we cruised.

I got back to the ship quickly. Notice in the this picture the angle of the ramp to board the ship.

By 10:15 I was back in the stateroom with Fran trying to figure out what to do for breakfast.

The only place still serving breakfast closed in 15 minutes so we gave up on that and decided on Goofy's Galley for some sandwiches and fruit. I got the roast beef and horseradish.

She got the turkey and cranberry.

After food we headed over to Diversions for our excursion. We got dispensation to park the scooter in the lounge as pushing the scooter up the steep ramp of the gangway would have been a lot of work. Not that Fran walking up the ramp isn't a lot of work, but she has to do it anyways, no point in me walking the scooter up the ramp simply to park it.

The excursions director accompanied us to the dock and introduced us to the representative from the tour operator. She got us on the bus and to our downtown meeting place for the flight excursion.

As soon as they saw Fran they had a concern for her walking down to the plane. They gave her the option to back out, but she went ahead with it.

Slowly we made our way down to the dock. That’s where we came from,

There’s where we were going.

Getting Fran into the plane was a bit of an ordeal. Her legs don't bend right and she needed me to push her butt for each step, but eventually she got in the plane.

Here is our flight path.

Here we are on our way.

At this point we are still on our approach to the glaciers.

We were going to fly over 5 different glaciers.

Many many many years ago all these peaks were covered with glaciers. When the ice age ended and the snow melted, the first plant life to come back were the lichen s you see at the top of the mountains.

Most of the glaciers are receding. At one time cruise ships could come up into this inlet (early 1930s) but the silt from the terminus of the glaciers eventually blocked the inlet and made it too shallow for ships to navigate.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

This is on approach to the Norris Glacier

Looking up the Norris Glacier.

There’s that bright blue color again.

Here we are flying over the Norris Glacier.

Then we flew over Norris Mountain to the larger Taku Glacier.

OK, after agonizing over the pictures, I just decided to show you all of them unless they are blurry or otherwise unacceptable. This view is looking out Fran’s window up the Taku Glacier.

I believe this is the Hole in the Wall Glacier.

As we make our way up to the last couple glaciers of our trip we fly past the Taku Lodge, if you look carefully at the dead center of the picture you’ll see it. There were several adventures that included a stop here and a lunch followed by a boat ride back to town. We considered this, but they were several hours longer than the fight alone and most included Salmon, which I don’t like despite trying it numerous times.

I believe that this is one of the Twin Glaciers.

I think it was the East Twin as I believe that now we have reached the West Twin Glacier.

I don’t think we followed the flight plan exactly, and I believe at this point we reached the farthest point of our journey and started back to Juneau at this point.

I love these “ripples” in the glacier. I’m pretty sure this is an optical illusion and they are very very deep.

This entire mountain was carved out by the glaciers back when they were much larger.

There is where we would be flying back out of where the glaciers were.

We took a turn around in the plane where we were almost sideways.

By this point, I’ve lost track of which glaciers we are flying over. But after looking at the map, it appears that the above photo was Twin Glacier Lake. This is probably the West Twin Glacier.

If my assumptions above are true, this must be the Hole in the Wall Glacier.

Looking at the map, it stands to reason that these are the Brassiere Hills. Probably named by the same guys who named the peaks in Mark’s TR from last summer.

This would be the Taku Glacier the largest of the five. The Taku glacier is over 25 miles long. It is advancing.

This debris is what the glacier leaves behind once it recedes. All of this stuff was caught up in the glacier and once it melted it’s just left there. It’s called the glacial moraine.

[Continued in Next Post]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter