Planes, Trains & Antitussives, Alaksan Wonder Cruise - All done! Complete 11/21

[Continued from Previous Post]

After this we left the region where the five glaciers were situated and started to head back to Juneau.

There’s that lichen again on the top of the mountains. Too high for trees to grow.

All the way back to Juneau you could see these waterfalls on either side of the waterway.

And if you look up there in the distance, you can just barely make out the port and our ship.

See it now?

Coming in the for the landing…

There she is!

Getting Fran out of the plane was a little bit easier than getting in. They finally decided that perhaps a ramp would be better for her and they let everyone else get out of the plane first and then put the ramp up to the side of the plane. It was a lot easier for her that way.

The tide here was very low. It didn’t affect our ship so much, but it definitely affected the boarding area for the planes.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

Looking back at the Wonder from our vantage point.

Fran made the trip back up, it was challenging. Getting up the dock ramp was a little easier than going down. A little.

That’s a steep slope!

And here we were back up at the top where their flight offices were located.

I made it!

When we were here in 1997, this is the berth where our cruise ship docked, much more convenient than the one where the Wonder was located.

Everyone else in our plane decided to walk around Juneau and catch the shuttle back to the ship later. We were only one block away from the drug store so I knew how long a walk it was back to the shuttle stop and encouraged Fran not to try it without her scooter. I had had enough of the town. It was nothing but a tourist trap and after my near sprint through town to get to and from the pharmacy, I was tired and hungry. Without Fran's scooter she wasn't getting very far. Instead we got a ride back to the ship from the folks at Taku charters.

We were just in time to be seated at Triton’s for lunch (they close at 1:30PM).

They started us off with rolls and butter.

We both started with a Caprese Salad. I don't care for Rocquette (Arugula), so I took it off before they added the dressing.

Fran got a steak & cheese sandwich on a croissant. The potato chips were really good.

I got the lobster ravioli which was an appetizer but I think they gave me an entree sized portion.

As we were eating our lunch, Fran said that she really hurt from trying to get into the plane. She asked what our excursion for tomorrow was and I told her it was also a plane like that. She pleaded with me to let her out of tomorrow’s excursion. She said I could still go, but would really appreciate if I didn’t make her do it. From my experiences on our Florida trip where she went back to the room and I hung out with Jim and Alberto, I realized that it was OK to do something without her, and she would be fine on her own.

We both ordered Mickey Bars for dessert.

We stopped by the port adventures desk after that and tried to see about canceling Fran's port adventure for the next day as it was pretty much the same thing as today, and she explained how difficult it was for her to get in and out of the plane. Since excursions are non refundable there was little chance of a refund, but they told her to come back that evening and the gal we spoke with said she would have an answer that evening.

So we went back to the room and she took a nap for the rest of the afternoon. In the small plane the seats were very low to the ground and I had to sit in a manner which irritated my left knee. I was walking with great difficulty and pain so I took some ibuprofen.

I went up to the jacuzzi but didn't have nearly as good of luck as the day before. It was kind of like people soup and I didn't spend nearly as much time up there as the day before. I came back to the room and my parents were back from their excursion. I threw on some clothes and they came over for some wine on the verandah before we sailed away.

In the first photos, Juneau looked as gloomy as it was when we were there. Fortunately it looked like it had brightened up a little. What a pain that they would not accept the email prescription, but I am glad you got it sorted out. The views during your excursion were stunning. What a shame that this was so hard on Fran. I can understand that she did not fancy a repeat.

Corinna

Gorgeous scenery! Too bad it was so hard to get in the plane. But I hope getting the prescriptions filled improved the rest of the trip.

Wow, that flight gave you such an amazing perspective of those glaciers! Absolutely stunning!
I'm sorry that Fran had to cancel on the next one but it does sound rather uncomfortable. Waiting to see if you received your money back but if not, even giving you a credit towards future excursions or something would be nice!

Wow you got great photos of the glaciers. Glad you had great weather that day. Judy

Thanks so much for posting your pics of the glaciers! I majored in Geology in college, and it's great to see the aerial pics. Our family just did the shuttle bus to Mendenhall glacier, so we saw glaciers from 'ground' level. I would have liked to hike one of the trails that gets you higher views, but the kids had enough walking just going to Nugget falls and back (especially when they're not allowing food there due to bears.) While 'I' wouldn't have minded doing a small plane excursion (I did a 4 seater over a beach/marsh area for one of my college Geology classes), DH and the kids would. I don't believe our weather was clear enough for flights anyway! (Or our pockets deep enough, lol!) Glad you two had the opportunity to fly over the glaciers!

Glad you were able to get Fran's prescription filled! You really got to see Juneau!

That plane ride looks pretty exciting and the glaciers were very cool (literally! :goodvibes)

Always love seeing the food.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Juneau looks like a very nice town to walk through and it was good that you were able to get the prescription all sorted out.

What amazing scenery shots of the glaciers from above.

The food from Triton's looks good.

Triton's look delicious. I wish we would have eaten there again on our cruise.

Bummer on the issues with the plane and sorry Fran was sore after. :( Michael, as trim as he is, finds those small spaces totally uncomfortable after a while hence one of the reasons he stopped flying as a medic on the helicopters. Those small planes aren't much better.

Mickey Bars. :cloud9:

That scenery is just gorgeous. I am ever amazed how beautiful Alaska is.

Glad you were able to get your scripts filled, hopefully you both felt much better after that

Sorry it was so hard for Fran to get on/off the plane, that dock ramp was crazy steep, I would have a hard time on that one!

Love all the pics of the glaciers and mountains, looked like a nice tour. What excursion did your parents do?

Looks like a nice lunch, can't miss with a Mickey Bar! :mickeybar

OK, you two are losing me

No, only 1 of us is losing anyone. And the other 2 of us are lost.

Yeah me too...

See?

What??? From little ol' me?
I'm crushed.

Give me a break. He fools no one.

Alison,

The pictures were lovely. I don't dare show my hubby or we'd end up there for a vacation and there are other places I'd rather go first. There were so many, and I love the ends where the blue ice is showing. Did anyone on the plane get seasick? Just curious.

I'm sure you must have some reputable pie vendors up there!

There is one place that makes.... three? pies. (They're more of a cake and cheesecake place.)
They make a really, really good apple pie, a good key lime... and a gross coconut one.

We have a great local chain here, we got a peach pie earlier in the summer and it was just divine!

mmmm... sounds divine.

It's actually quite easy and only takes about 15 minutes in the oven and however long to sear it and get a nice crust on it.

That's it? I really need to get on this.

I was going to post a recipe, but I'm replying from my phone, so, no.

I'm surprised you can even reply. I hate DISing with the phone.

OK got it.

See? Not so hard.

Don't act so innocent....

:laughing:

I believe that I did wake up for a potty stop around 4AM and found that the sun was already up. That was no surprise as it only set at 10PM. Here is a look at the Harbor.

I looked and Juneau is pretty much at the same latitude as Churchill. In the summer, it doesn't get dark. The sun sets, but you can see where it is and follow the glow along the north horizon until it pops up again.

Don't ask about winter.

We were the 4th ship docked and the farthest ship from town. When Google finally found my location it said that walking would be 30 minutes to the pharmacy. I decided I would take a taxi if necessary.

Wow. That makes a bigger difference than I would've thought!

I walked through the town and it had really sprung up since the last time I was here. It was very commercial.

That sucks.

There was a whole section dedicated to International Food Trucks and kiosks.

Hmmm... I don't think I mind that, though.

I just sat across the street on a bench checking the DIS and playing the “open, open, open” game.

:laughing:

I gave them the printed out email prescription and they wouldn't accept it,

Really? Odd. Wonder why not.
Was the signature/prescription too legible?

so I called Dr J and got her voice mail. Luckily she called right back and said she would call in the prescription.

Lucky is right.

I got back to the ship quickly. Notice in the this picture the angle of the ramp to board the ship.

At first I wasn't sure if you were going with a "difficult to navigate" or a "tide change" point.

We got dispensation to park the scooter in the lounge as pushing the scooter up the steep ramp of the gangway would have been a lot of work.

No kidding! Maybe they'd like you to scale a mountain or two while you're there.

As soon as they saw Fran they had a concern for her walking down to the plane. They gave her the option to back out, but she went ahead with it.

Good for her (although it did hurt her. But I bet she enjoyed having done it?)

Turbo otter. Nice.

Getting Fran into the plane was a bit of an ordeal. Her legs don't bend right and she needed me to push her butt for each step, but eventually she got in the plane.

Sounds painful... for both of you.

We were going to fly over 5 different glaciers.

Cool!

At one time cruise ships could come up into this inlet (early 1930s) but the silt from the terminus of the glaciers eventually blocked the inlet and made it too shallow for ships to navigate.

Huh. Interesting. Glaciers move so slowly that you forget that they move.

OK, after agonizing over the pictures, I just decided to show you all of them unless they are blurry or otherwise unacceptable.

Good! I won't comment on them all, but I did look at every one with interest (and not a little jealousy! :laughing:)

As we make our way up to the last couple glaciers of our trip we fly past the Taku Lodge, if you look carefully at the dead center of the picture you’ll see it.

Got it!

I love these “ripples” in the glacier. I’m pretty sure this is an optical illusion and they are very very deep.

Probably. Do you know how high above them you were?

Looking at the map, it stands to reason that these are the Brassiere Hills. Probably named by the same guys who named the peaks in Mark’s TR from last summer.

:lmao:

This debris is what the glacier leaves behind once it recedes. All of this stuff was caught up in the glacier and once it melted it’s just left there. It’s called the glacial moraine.

Oh! I remember learning that back in school decades ago.

See it now?

::yes::

There she is!

That's such a cool shot with the wing in it.

Getting Fran out of the plane was a little bit easier than getting in.

That's good at least.
I must admit I was worried that she'd be seized up or something after being crammed in there for a while.

Fran made the trip back up, it was challenging. Getting up the dock ramp was a little easier than going down. A little.

Again, good.

That’s a steep slope!

That really is. Whoa.

I made it!

I hope Fran took that picture. You didn't abandon her at the bottom of the ramp, did you?

I got the lobster ravioli which was an appetizer but I think they gave me an entree sized portion.

I wanna try that.

Fran said that she really hurt from trying to get into the plane.

Crap. That sucks.

She asked what our excursion for tomorrow was and I told her it was also a plane like that. She pleaded with me to let her out of tomorrow’s excursion. She said I could still go, but would really appreciate if I didn’t make her do it. From my experiences on our Florida trip where she went back to the room and I hung out with Jim and Alberto, I realized that it was OK to do something without her, and she would be fine on her own.

Yeah... but you still wish she could go, I'm sure.

In the small plane the seats were very low to the ground and I had to sit in a manner which irritated my left knee. I was walking with great difficulty and pain so I took some ibuprofen.

So both of you had a hard time. Sorry to hear that.

It was kind of like people soup

ew. no.

Wow, the landscape of Alaska is just absolutely breathtaking. It's a shame the logistics of the float plane caused the two of you some injury, but what an amazing experience and what beautiful photos!

Today I woke up to the ship docking in Juneau.

Ah, the classic Dad joke. Juneau what the capital of Alaska is?

I believe that I did wake up for a potty stop around 4AM and found that the sun was already up. That was no surprise as it only set at 10PM.

Those long sunlight hours must be so hard to get used to!

The pharmacy opened at 9AM. Originally when I mapped us from the port of Juneau Google said it was 2 minutes away, and that would have been true if we were the first ship docked, but we were not. We were the 4th ship docked and the farthest ship from town. When Google finally found my location it said that walking would be 30 minutes to the pharmacy.

Yikes. That's quite the difference in travel times.

On our last trip, we made it a point to visit the Red Dog Saloon, but this time it wasn’t calling to us. Also, it wasn’t smack in the middle of town. None of the stuff I showed you previously was there on my last trip if I remember correctly.

I guess those tourist dollars are making a difference!

Notice in the this picture the angle of the ramp to board the ship.

Got it. That does look fairly steep.

Getting Fran into the plane was a bit of an ordeal. Her legs don't bend right and she needed me to push her butt for each step, but eventually she got in the plane.

Poor Fran. Hope the flight was worth it for her.

We were going to fly over 5 different glaciers.

So cool! I would love to do that.

There’s that bright blue color again.

Love it!

I think it was the East Twin as I believe that now we have reached the West Twin Glacier.

Those are some impressive walls of ice.

I love these “ripples” in the glacier. I’m pretty sure this is an optical illusion and they are very very deep.

I bet! Probably best to view them from up here.

We took a turn around in the plane where we were almost sideways.

:scared1:

Looking at the map, it stands to reason that these are the Brassiere Hills. Probably named by the same guys who named the peaks in Mark’s TR from last summer.

Hey, these explorers were out there for months or years at a time. They got lonely.

All the way back to Juneau you could see these waterfalls on either side of the waterway.

I can't decide if Alaska is more spectacular from the air or the ground.

Poor Fran.

Fran said that she really hurt from trying to get into the plane.

Yuck. I hate that it was so hard on her.

So we went back to the room and she took a nap for the rest of the afternoon. In the small plane the seats were very low to the ground and I had to sit in a manner which irritated my left knee. I was walking with great difficulty and pain so I took some ibuprofen.

And now Poor Alison! You guys really took this one hard. I hope it was worth it--the views looked spectacular!

In the first photos, Juneau looked as gloomy as it was when we were there. Fortunately it looked like it had brightened up a little. What a pain that they would not accept the email prescription, but I am glad you got it sorted out. The views during your excursion were stunning. What a shame that this was so hard on Fran. I can understand that she did not fancy a repeat.

Corinna

I was actually quite at home with the weather. It was cloudy and overcast in the morning and by afternoon it had burned off which made it feel very much like home. I was sad that she didn't want to do the excursion the next day.

Gorgeous scenery! Too bad it was so hard to get in the plane. But I hope getting the prescriptions filled improved the rest of the trip.

In the next update you will see some photos that tend to support that theory!

Wow, that flight gave you such an amazing perspective of those glaciers! Absolutely stunning!
I'm sorry that Fran had to cancel on the next one but it does sound rather uncomfortable. Waiting to see if you received your money back but if not, even giving you a credit towards future excursions or something would be nice!

I'm amazed at how uncomfortable those planes are for somewhat larger folks. I'm glad I got to do it, but I'm not sure that she shared that sentiment.

Wow you got great photos of the glaciers. Glad you had great weather that day. Judy

I thought the flight was spectacular and I'm so glad I was able to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter