Planning an Around the World Disney Trip

Majide

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, I am a long time lurker on the Disney Cruise forums, but this is my first time posting outside of that sub-forum, so please let me know if this is the wrong place to post this. It has been a dream of mine to visit all of the Disney parks and I am finally planning a trip to complete that goal! I will be flying with my DH from DFW to Paris, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, and then back to DFW next April.

A little bit about me, I grew up in Orlando living 15 minutes from Disney World, so I have been to the parks more times than I can count. I have also been to Disneyland twice(in 2006 and 2016) and on many Disney Cruises. My DH and I now live in Dallas. We have been to Europe a few times, but this will be our first time visiting Asian countries. I am a spreadsheet type planner and the majority of the trip will be booked on credit card points. We are planning to just spend one day at each resort, which might be a bit crazy, but I mainly want to just get the chance to see each park and ride some highlights. In the future, we can always plan another trip around our favorite parks.

• Is anyone aware of any resources specific for planning a trip of this type? I've tried Googling around and I am only getting results for the Adventures by Disney trip.
  • Are there any threads for Shanghai trips on the boards? TDR Explorer is helping a lot, but I am finding very little other resources for Shanghai and Hong Kong.
  • Any suggestions for souvenirs that every international park will have? I would love to get a pin, pressed coined, etc. from each park we visit.

Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas you can share!

What an exciting trip!

When you say you're just planning to spend one day at each resort, do you mean you'll literally be flying in, visiting the park/s, and then flying out again, or do you mean you'll be spending one day at each resort as part of your stay at that destination (so you'll have a few days in each place, one of which you'll spend at the Disney resort there)? It seems like you're not planning to spend long at each destination, so be prepared to be absolutely wrecked by the time you get home. Business class flights between continents will help if you can get them 😉

Can I suggest you consider doing one day for each park at TDR, as they do not offer park hoppers at this point. TDS sounds like it's absolutely worth visiting, being very different to other parks and widely considered the best in the world. However, if you're aiming to get a photo in front of each castle (which I would absolutely do!), then you would need to do TDL.

Unfortunately there's not a whole heap of info on SDL or HKDL. They're relatively easy to manage though, just being one park, and HKDL doesn't even have a shopping/dining district. If you're staying onsite, some of the hotels are walking distance, otherwise the buses are very easy to use. If you're coming from the city, the trains are pretty easy to manage with the stations very close to the park entrances. Any threads for either of them will be posted in the general 'Other Lands' section, and that is where you can also ask any questions. There are quite a few of us now who have been to both, although for me it's been a while! You'll probably need a plan of attack at SDL as it is a very large park which can get pretty crowded with long wait times. However, HKDL is pretty easy to just wing it when you get there - I've never seen more than a half hour wait for any attractions.

With such little time in each park, I would try to focus on what's different about that park. Some of the parks also have rides or versions of rides that have been discontinued in the US.
  • Paris: Definitely visit the dragon under the castle, and maybe even do the cute castle walk-through. The Alice maze here is a bit of fun, themed to the animated Disney version. Their Space Mountain is pretty cool and different to all the others, and I think is now Star Wars themed. Phantom Manor is also a bit different to the other Haunted Mansions. In the Studios, there's the Avengers rides, and Crush's Coaster was pretty different and a lot of fun.
  • Shanghai: Definitely, DEFINITELY prioritise Pirates! It's the most amazing ride with incredible special effects. The ropes course is also very unique to SDL and gives a nice view over the park, although it's a slow-moving line so can get long, and can take a while to actually do as well. Their Alice maze is pretty impressive, themed to the Tim Burton version. Voyage to the Crystal Grotto is cute and unique to Shanghai - it's particularly nice at night. I never got to Roaring Rapids, but it seems like a re-theme of the rapids ride at DLR. Peter Pan has had an upgrade, but is basically the same as what you'd be used to. I'd do them both if there's time, but otherwise they can probably be skipped.
  • Hong Kong: Mystic Manor is great and very unique. Big Grizzly Mountain is also a lot of fun. Similar to Big Thunder Mountain, but I think different enough to be worth prioritising, particularly as there's not much else unique to HK. Fairy Tale Forest is cute and worth a walk-through. A lot of the other attractions are 'same-same but different'. Having said that, the new Frozen expansion will probably be ready for your trip and will have 2 new unique attractions. It's a lot of fun interacting with the CMs and collecting stickers from them if they're still doing that.
  • Tokyo: I'm currently planning my own trip to Tokyo. Very keen to try the new Beauty and the Beast ride at TDL, and the Monsters Inc ride looks like a lot of fun. Pooh's Hunny Hunt is by all accounts the best version of this ride with extra effects, and their version of Splash Mountain still has the original theming. At TDS, I'm keen to try Journey to the Centre of the Earth. The Nemo ride and Sinbad's Voyage are also unique and look like fun. Apparently ToT is worth doing as it's a completely different storyline and experience, and they still have 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea if you're nostalgic for that one. There are also a lot of traditional (but Disney themed) amusement park type rides in this park, and a lot of transport options which would be fun to try out.
There's also shows and parades (which you may not prioritise given the short timeframes!). For some of the Asian parks, the stake-out begins very early! I would definitely recommend spending the extra money and utilising whatever 'priority' system each park has for both rides and shows if you want to do them. The Asian parks also do a lot of unique character greetings in different outfits, and Duffy and friends are BIG. It could be fun to do some of them if you have time, or even just get some photos from the sidelines if you don't have time to wait.

As for souvenirs, I know that every park does pins, so I would probably stick with that. As well as the photo in front of each castle of course!

Thank you so much, that is all super helpful!!! Yes it is definitely going to be a fast pace, whirlwind of a trip lol

I think you are right that focusing on what's different about each park will be the best way to go about this. I am taking note of all of your suggestions! I hope you have a great time in Tokyo, this was originally just a Japan trip for me, until I realized the thing I was looking forward to most was Disney :earsboy:

Maybe try to get in touch with Nathan Firesheets who just did all the rides in all the Disney parks to see if he has some tips. He has a YouTube channel and his Twitter handle is @A_Coaster_Story.

Maybe try to get in touch with Nathan Firesheets who just did all the rides in all the Disney parks to see if he has some tips. He has a YouTube channel and his Twitter handle is @A_Coaster_Story.
Great thanks!

I strongly suggest splitting this trip up to have more time at each park rather than rushing it. Jetlag will likely make you less efficient even though the Asian parks are all within one hour time difference of each other. My suggestion is to book flights that arrive in late afternoon so you can immediately sleep in nighttime of that time zone and likely have more energy for the next day. I find it harder to adjust when arriving in the morning and feeling super tired on the first day.

Direction-wise, I recommend starting in Paris then going to Hong Kong, then Shanghai and then Tokyo. This will start you off in the more English friendly places and end with Tokyo which I find to be the most impressive resort but also one of the most challenging for first time visitors due to longer wait times. If "visiting Europe" mostly means the EU and UK, then Shanghai may be a bit of a shock due to the rougher nature of mainland China (you can taste the air in a bad way and people are quite impolite compared to the other Disney park destinations). But if you've been to places like Turkey and Georgia, then you've already been to some kinda rough countries.

I agree with the previous poster of giving Tokyo more time. 2 days in Paris would be nice too but Walt Disney Studios park there is so small that doing the highlights of both parks on a one day park hopper ticket is certainly doable.

Pins are also good as a souvenir from each park. Hong Kong Disneyland always seems to run out of 1st visit buttons and in Paris, they may only want to give it to you at guest services in the morning. Tokyo does free first visit stickers instead of buttons and to my knowledge Shanghai doesn't have 1st visit buttons but does have "I'm celebrating" ones.

You can for help with planning here in the forum and simple questions can usually be answered by people who have been to the parks before. I've been to all the parks and have had annual passes for Hong Kong and Tokyo. I would not consider myself an expert on Shanghai though since I don't like traveling to mainland China.

As an update for the previous poster: CMs in Hong Kong stopped giving out stickers due to the pandemic and it seems like a permanent change.

As an update for the previous poster: CMs in Hong Kong stopped giving out stickers due to the pandemic and it seems like a permanent change.
Bummer, always thought that was such a fun thing for the CMs to do 😕 Glad I still have my little collection of stickers from back in the day!

Great tips there for the OP 👌

I strongly suggest splitting this trip up to have more time at each park rather than rushing it. Jetlag will likely make you less efficient even though the Asian parks are all within one hour time difference of each other. My suggestion is to book flights that arrive in late afternoon so you can immediately sleep in nighttime of that time zone and likely have more energy for the next day. I find it harder to adjust when arriving in the morning and feeling super tired on the first day.

Direction-wise, I recommend starting in Paris then going to Hong Kong, then Shanghai and then Tokyo. This will start you off in the more English friendly places and end with Tokyo which I find to be the most impressive resort but also one of the most challenging for first time visitors due to longer wait times. If "visiting Europe" mostly means the EU and UK, then Shanghai may be a bit of a shock due to the rougher nature of mainland China (you can taste the air in a bad way and people are quite impolite compared to the other Disney park destinations). But if you've been to places like Turkey and Georgia, then you've already been to some kinda rough countries.

I agree with the previous poster of giving Tokyo more time. 2 days in Paris would be nice too but Walt Disney Studios park there is so small that doing the highlights of both parks on a one day park hopper ticket is certainly doable.

Pins are also good as a souvenir from each park. Hong Kong Disneyland always seems to run out of 1st visit buttons and in Paris, they may only want to give it to you at guest services in the morning. Tokyo does free first visit stickers instead of buttons and to my knowledge Shanghai doesn't have 1st visit buttons but does have "I'm celebrating" ones.

You can for help with planning here in the forum and simple questions can usually be answered by people who have been to the parks before. I've been to all the parks and have had annual passes for Hong Kong and Tokyo. I would not consider myself an expert on Shanghai though since I don't like traveling to mainland China.

Thanks for the tips! Your suggested order was the one I was thinking too, so good to hear from an expert that it is the better direction.

We visited Paris in 2017 and Shanghai and Hong Kong in 2018 - trip reports and videos are linked in my signature, in case they are helpful. We’re finally going to go to Tokyo this summer after years of cancelations.

First, WOW what a trip. I do agree with Gelatoni Fan that it will be exhausting, with jet lag and just trying to even accomplish it. Maybe a couple days stop at TDR and Paris to break it up and just get some sleep lol. But I can’t wait to see how planning goes and then the trip so hope you continue to post about this epic trip!

So far I've done Disneyland Paris, which is closest to me, Disneyland in Anaheim and Tokyo Disney Resort before, and I'm also currently planning our Around the World with Disney trip. Which will concist of every park in one big trip around the world. So hopefully I can offer some advice. You might also want to catch Provost Pass on YouTube as they are currently doing the very same trip that I'm planning.

First thing though and I know you've already been told this, but I'll mention it as well. The jetlag will hit you, and it will likely hit you hard at least once. Especially since you're planning to travel against the clock. Traveling the other way definitely lessen the jetlag, but it can't be completly avoided unless your flying business class on all flights.

Second thing. You will regret it if you don't visit both the Tokyo parks, and that requires two days. If you want a photo with the castle then you need to visit Tokyo Disneyland, and if you want to visit the most unique (and usually ranked as the best Disney Park in the world) then you need to visit Tokyo Disneysea.

If you absolutely 100% must skip one then skip Tokyo Disneyland. You'll miss out on a few absolutely amazing, unique rides, and some familiar rides that are maintained perfectly, but in the end most of the park is a direct clone of Disneyland. Tokyo Disneysea will therefore be able to provide you with more new experiences.

Other things to take into consideration are language skills, research all the cultural differences that you'll encounter, deciding on accommodation and whether you'll be buying extra services, looking into WiFi solutions and VPN, estimating roughly how much cash you'll need to exchange to the local currency in the three Asian parks, if you have any dietary requirements that could be challenging and how much of your one day will you spend on eating etc.

Now for the fun bit...the must do unique rides. Though definitely remember to set of time to walking around and exploring the "walking attractions" as well.

Paris:
Hyperspace Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Phantom Manor

Hong Kong:
Iron Man Experience
(Hyperspace Mountain)
Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars
Mystic Manor
The new Frozen expansion with the two new attractions.

Shangai:
Thron Lightcycle Powe Run (if you haven't done it in Orlando)
Pirates of the Caribbean Battle for the Sunken Treasure
Voyage to the Crystal Grotto
New unnamed Zootopia ride that should be completed this year

Tokyo Disneyland:
Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast
Pooh's Hunny Hunt
Happy Ride with Baymax
Splash Mountain (will be the only one left so if it's an old favourite should be on your list)

Tokyo Disneysea:
Pretty much the entire park will be new to you, and that's not even concidering if the new fantasy spring extension will open in time for your visit. But if I had to mention specific rides
Journey to the centre of the earth
20 000 leagues under the sea (not much similar to the old US ride with the same name by the way)
Sinbad's Storybook Voyage
Raging Spirits

As far as souvenirs I would suggest either pins or clothing with the park's name on it. Personally I'm planing on doing a pandora charm in the parks that have them, art and clothing. Duffy and friends merchandise is also quite special in the Asian parks (they're almost if not more popular than Mickey).

Last edited:
I'm actually planning to be in Japan and Europe in the same month this year and I couldn't find a good round the world itinerary cheaper than doing two round trips from the US west coast.

Since Dallas Fort Worth is a hub with relatively cheap flights to Europe and Asia, from a travel perspective, this is potentially another reason to do separate Paris and Asia trips. At least out of San Francisco and Los Angeles, it can be cheap to fly a round trip itinerary to Hong Kong with a stopover in Tokyo on the way back. From Hong Kong, you can take a cheap round trip flight to Shanghai.

Provost Park Pass (YouTube) is currently doing this trip, visiting all the Disney parks. He has been posting videos and offers some tips. Haven't seen them all, but it is interesting to see the different parks. And there is no way I would spend just one day at each location. Between jet lag and being in different countries with different types of food (what if you get sick and need to rest), you are spending too much money to do only one day. It does sound like a great trip - just need to allocate more time.

So far I've done Disneyland Paris, which is closest to me, Disneyland in Anaheim and Tokyo Disney Resort before, and I'm also currently planning our Around the World with Disney trip. Which will concist of every park in one big trip around the world. So hopefully I can offer some advice. You might also want to catch Provost Pass on YouTube as they are currently doing the very same trip that I'm planning.

First thing though and I know you've already been told this, but I'll mention it as well. The jetlag will hit you, and it will likely hit you hard at least once. Especially since you're planning to travel against the clock. Traveling the other way definitely lessen the jetlag, but it can't be completly avoided unless your flying business class on all flights.

Second thing. You will regret it if you don't visit both the Tokyo parks, and that requires two days. If you want a photo with the castle then you need to visit Tokyo Disneyland, and if you want to visit the most unique (and usually ranked as the best Disney Park in the world) then you need to visit Tokyo Disneysea.

If you absolutely 100% must skip one then skip Tokyo Disneyland. You'll miss out on a few absolutely amazing, unique rides, and some familiar rides that are maintained perfectly, but in the end most of the park is a direct clone of Disneyland. Tokyo Disneysea will therefore be able to provide you with more new experiences.

Other things to take into consideration are language skills, research all the cultural differences that you'll encounter, deciding on accommodation and whether you'll be buying extra services, looking into WiFi solutions and VPN, estimating roughly how much cash you'll need to exchange to the local currency in the three Asian parks, if you have any dietary requirements that could be challenging and how much of your one day will you spend on eating etc.

Now for the fun bit...the must do unique rides. Though definitely remember to set of time to walking around and exploring the "walking attractions" as well.

Paris:
Hyperspace Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Phantom Manor

Hong Kong:
Iron Man Experience
(Hyperspace Mountain)
Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars
Mystic Manor
The new Frozen expansion with the two new attractions.

Shangai:
Thron Lightcycle Powe Run (if you haven't done it in Orlando)
Pirates of the Caribbean Battle for the Sunken Treasure
Voyage to the Crystal Grotto
New unnamed Zootopia ride that should be completed this year

Tokyo Disneyland:
Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast
Pooh's Hunny Hunt
Happy Ride with Baymax
Splash Mountain (will be the only one left so if it's an old favourite should be on your list)

Tokyo Disneysea:
Pretty much the entire park will be new to you, and that's not even concidering if the new fantasy spring extension will open in time for your visit. But if I had to mention specific rides
Journey to the centre of the earth
20 000 leagues under the sea (not much similar to the old US ride with the same name by the way)
Sinbad's Storybook Voyage
Raging Spirits

As far as souvenirs I would suggest either pins or clothing with the park's name on it. Personally I'm planing on doing a pandora charm in the parks that have them, art and clothing. Duffy and friends merchandise is also quite special in the Asian parks (they're almost if not more popular than Mickey).
Great thank you for your suggestions! I will definitely write down your list of rides. I hadn't heard of Provost Pass yet, but it sounds like their videos will also be a big help.

I'm actually planning to be in Japan and Europe in the same month this year and I couldn't find a good round the world itinerary cheaper than doing two round trips from the US west coast.

Since Dallas Fort Worth is a hub with relatively cheap flights to Europe and Asia, from a travel perspective, this is potentially another reason to do separate Paris and Asia trips. At least out of San Francisco and Los Angeles, it can be cheap to fly a round trip itinerary to Hong Kong with a stopover in Tokyo on the way back. From Hong Kong, you can take a cheap round trip flight to Shanghai.
Yeah, when I was first looking round the world itineraries weren't very appealing. I am booking almost all the flights with miles from my credit cards so I am seeing some good availability for one way tickets personally. There is a direct flight from DFW to Paris on Air France, then I am looking at doing a direct flight on Air France or Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong. Probably Cathay Pacific to Shanghai and then still deciding which airline to go with for the flight to Tokyo. For the flight from Tokyo back to the US, we'll either do ANA or JAL with points, or pay to do ZipAir in their fully flat seats :)

Yeah, when I was first looking round the world itineraries weren't very appealing. I am booking almost all the flights with miles from my credit cards so I am seeing some good availability for one way tickets personally. There is a direct flight from DFW to Paris on Air France, then I am looking at doing a direct flight on Air France or Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong. Probably Cathay Pacific to Shanghai and then still deciding which airline to go with for the flight to Tokyo. For the flight from Tokyo back to the US, we'll either do ANA or JAL with points, or pay to do ZipAir in their fully flat seats :)
Highly recommend Cathay Pacific, particularly if you can swing a premium cabin for the longer flights.

Highly recommend Cathay Pacific, particularly if you can swing a premium cabin for the longer flights.

Cathay's service has gone downhill during the pandemic since they lost so many of their experienced flight attendants. Their food is also not competitive anymore although Air France isn't known for good food either. I'd personally feel it's better to go with Air France for the Paris to HK portion since they have newer seats and a better flight attendant to passenger ratio with the caveat that I haven't actually flown Air France before.

For the HK to Shanghai portion, HK Airlines is actually similar enough in quality to Cathay but usually cheaper if paying cash. I've flown China Eastern a few times and it was always a below average experience.

Going from Shanghai to Tokyo, I would absolutely go for a Japanese carrier. In general, I find that JAL has better seats in the lower classes but ANA has better food. If flying business or first class, then it really depends on which specific plane type is being used.

Cathay's service has gone downhill during the pandemic since they lost so many of their experienced flight attendants.

For the HK to Shanghai portion, HK Airlines is actually similar enough in quality to Cathay but usually cheaper if paying cash. I've flown China Eastern a few times and it was always a below average experience.
Oh, good to know! We had Cathay booked for our Japan trip and I was really excited to be flying with them, but since we've had to cancel I'll be out of the loop for a bit longer. We flew DragonAir (subsidiary of Cathay) between Shanghai and HK, but I think that shut down over COVID. Shame, as I really used to enjoy flying both airlines!

I used to travel internationally pretty frequently and was pretty well across the different airlines and such, but am definitely out of the loop now not having been overseas since early 2019!

Got it, thank you both for your opinions! I flew on Air France in Economy on the same DFW > CDG route this past May and I would describe them as "fine". Nothing amazing or noteworthy, but they fly nonstop from my home airport and have great point redemptions, so can't really complain.

It sounds like there are a lot of options in Asia, so hopefully I'll be able to get a good deal on one of the ones that were suggested!

Interestingly enough, Provost Park Pass cancelled their Shanghai portion of their trip day of based on State Department recommendations as well as on some advice from a friend they have who is a travel “expert”. He was on his way from Hong Kong to Shanghai and literally changed his plans at the airport. There is a new law in China that went into effect on 7/1 regarding espionage. His friend said he probably would not have issues but still advised he not go. It’s an interesting video in their series. Something to look into.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter