Planning for a large group... help, it’s been a while!

3smithboys

DIS Veteran
My in-laws just told us that they would like to host a family reunion next summer (2020) in Orlando. They would be flying in from England with other relatives, and we would be joining with other family members from the US.

My family are huge Disney lovers and have been many times; however, we have not been in several years because of the kids schedules. When we do go, I know a lot of things will have changed. My biggest problem is going to be trying to help plan for 16 people of varying ages while staying offsite. (My boys will be 21, 17, and 17... so they will want to do very different things from their cousins who are girls and 6 and 8 or boys and 6 and 2)

I’ve never stayed off property before.... so not being able to schedule FP at 60 days freaks me out!

I’m thinking that maybe I should just figure out best park days (is that still a thing) and let each family schedule their own FP. Also, will getting FP’s at the end of June or July be a problem at 30 days? Any advice would be great! I know I have loads of time! Thanks!

We usually choose a park and one meal per day. I'll make the initial FP for everyone, but then they can change rides or parks as much as they want. Even when we have the same FP, we don't all ride together. FP at 30 days are fine, except for the headliners: Flight of Passage, Slinky Dog Dash, Frozen at Epcot, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. Don't try to do everything togetger, but it's nice to get together at some point most days.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a 13 person family trip this coming August. I agree with MommyTX, we only have reservation for one meal a day for the entire family, the other meals everyone is on their own. I'll be doing the initial FP's, and they will most likely be the headliners, but each family has the ability to change as their family sees fit. Most of all, we plan on taking it easy and not try to jam too much in each day.

I am getting ready for a trip coming up in June where we have anywhere from 8 to 22 people at any given time. A few of us who are more Disney savvy in the group met and planned out a daily itinerary. We all agreed on the same park everyday and meal times and restaurants. We all buy the dining plan and usually gather for all meals together. Remember, if you are unsure about whether or not everyone will want to eat together all the time, but you know the majority does, it is best to make the reservation and include everyone. It is a lot easier to adjust a reservation down than trying to add people later on.

Since most of us have kids all different ages, we planned it so even if we did different attractions, we did them around the same time when booking FP's. There is always 1 or 2 attractions that we all wanted to do, so that made it easy and one of us is able to make all the FP's for those attractions. If you have experienced Disney people, it is a good idea to work in tandem when planning dining and FP's. You can both be working on reservations, while on the phone with each other and both in front of computers, maybe even on 3-way with Disney.

I agree don't try and jam too much in with a big crowd, everyone likes to vacation at a different pace. I think getting everyone to the same park, meals and some FP's together will be easier than you think. Just don't overload each day and leave room for people to have their own time should they want it. Also, keep in mind when making dining plans, it is best to call in as they are able to help make bigger party reservations then online. Sometimes they will break the group up to get the restaurant you want and the time. You cant do that online, unless using separate My Disney Experience accounts. Also, make sure everyone has a My Disney Experience account, this will make it easier for everyone to see the plans made afterwards. They can also amend their own plan should they want to go out on their own. And remember, if staying on property, everyone needs to have their park tickets purchased before the 60 day mark, otherwise you will not be able to make FP's for them. I believe you said you will be staying off site, so for you, everyone needs park tickets purchased by the 30 day mark.

Hope this helps... Good Luck!

1. There are different options for tickets bought in the UK. Example, we have an option for a 7/14/or 21-day park hopper (incl waterparks) ticket which includes Memory Maker, golf, and other stuff (£419-£469 approx $550-$625). Look into those - you need to buy before you fly, so not available after they enter US, but this may be a better option. http://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/walt-disney-world/tickets/
2. Book at least one FP for Character Meet-n-Greets so you can get the full group picture with Mickey/Minnie (whomever). Nice keepsake. We like the Animal Kingdom one because both Mickey & Minnie are right next to each other so for big groups, they both join in the picture.
3. If you can swing it, a fireworks cruise one night is a great way to get everyone together. I bought one as x-mas gift (10ppl) and they raved about it. This is especially nice if you dont have park-hopper tickets so it doesnt require the entire group to go to a park that day. My fams example was they got reservations at Park Fare then after dinner went on cruise.
4. Book FP for rides like Small World / Haunted Mansion / FOTLK . Almost everyone else in the group wont even know they arent traditionally good uses of FP, but they save enough time that people sense the benefit of FP. They are things everyone can do and if someone wants to spend their time on something a bit more adventurous, they change it.

It really doesnt look like you are stressing too much is the real key. Reserve yourself that you wont get any StarWars or major headliner attractions at 30 day window for a group. Good luck!!

I have been to WDW with a group of 11 and we are going again in June as a group of 12. I am the planner, but I do get their input. We like to tour together and have no problem with the togetherness. However, we all have the same touring style and the kids are similar ages. We rope drop, afternoon break, park in the evening. We like to do a TS meal at lunch in the park. It’s a nice break

I think the most important thing is to lay ground rules. Ours are: 1. If a bus pulls up and some from the party isn’t there too bad for them, we will meet in the park. I’ve read on here too many times about people who are slower in the morning than the early risers which causes issues with those waiting around. Decide how you are going to handle this as a group and stick to it.
2. If someone wants to sleep in/skip a park or meal no one is going to get mad about it. My mom will take a couple of evenings to just relax in her room while we all go out. This gives her time to recharge and benefits everyone in the group. ;)

And that’s really it. We like sticking together I know most on here recommend splitting up. It all really just depends on your group dynamics and everyone’s touring style. It can work both ways.

Yes, let them schedule their own fp's, but pick the park days for everyone based on a reliable crowd calendar.

I would plan a bit more than just 1 meal together each day. Perhaps consider also meeting up for shows or rides that have no line a couple times a day? And pick a meeting spot to be together to watch evening fireworks, etc.

Are you all staying offsite in rental villas? If so, plan some days away from the parks to just sit around the pool and visit. This is our favourite part of our large family gatherings down there :)

I am getting ready for a trip coming up in June where we have anywhere from 8 to 22 people at any given time. A few of us who are more Disney savvy in the group met and planned out a daily itinerary. We all agreed on the same park everyday and meal times and restaurants. We all buy the dining plan and usually gather for all meals together. Remember, if you are unsure about whether or not everyone will want to eat together all the time, but you know the majority does, it is best to make the reservation and include everyone. It is a lot easier to adjust a reservation down than trying to add people later on.

Since most of us have kids all different ages, we planned it so even if we did different attractions, we did them around the same time when booking FP's. There is always 1 or 2 attractions that we all wanted to do, so that made it easy and one of us is able to make all the FP's for those attractions. If you have experienced Disney people, it is a good idea to work in tandem when planning dining and FP's. You can both be working on reservations, while on the phone with each other and both in front of computers, maybe even on 3-way with Disney.

I agree don't try and jam too much in with a big crowd, everyone likes to vacation at a different pace. I think getting everyone to the same park, meals and some FP's together will be easier than you think. Just don't overload each day and leave room for people to have their own time should they want it. Also, keep in mind when making dining plans, it is best to call in as they are able to help make bigger party reservations then online. Sometimes they will break the group up to get the restaurant you want and the time. You cant do that online, unless using separate My Disney Experience accounts. Also, make sure everyone has a My Disney Experience account, this will make it easier for everyone to see the plans made afterwards. They can also amend their own plan should they want to go out on their own. And remember, if staying on property, everyone needs to have their park tickets purchased before the 60 day mark, otherwise you will not be able to make FP's for them. I believe you said you will be staying off site, so for you, everyone needs park tickets purchased by the 30 day mark.

Hope this helps... Good Luck!
I am doing the same thing you are regarding fast passes. I am originally booking everyone on the same ride at the same time so when I modify the system usually looks for a similar time

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I will take note of all of your suggestions. We are staying offsite somewhere. My fil is here in the States visiting us for Spring Break and told us now about this idea for next summer. He showed us some offsite houses that were big and could accommodate all 16 of us. While they look beautiful, I still have a feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about staying offsite! We’ve been to Disney so many times but never stayed offsite.

I know that my family of 5’s top priority will be Star Wars Land and Avatar Land. I’m hoping that at 30 days we will be able to get FP’s for those. Since we are going in the summer, we do go at RD, leave around 12 for a swim/rest, and then go back to the park at night. We have not gotten hoppers in the past. Not sure if we need to start now?

It's nice to read all of these as I am also planning a trip with extended family. There are about 13 of us. I'm curious to hear how easy/difficult it was to make FP+ reservations for the entire group? I was going to tell everyone they are on their own but I don't mind making the initial reservations and letting people tailor how they want as some have suggested on here.

I agree with others who have said schedule one meal together per day. I have dinner reservations for us each day so that we can regroup towards the end of the day and talk about how our day went.

We are not getting PHs but we usually don't do PH. We are the same as you: RD, leave in the afternoon for a nap, come back to the same park at night. I think you just go in with the expectation that your immediate family will use that strategy and let everyone else do their own thing (whether that's PH or staying at the parks all day, etc.). I've learned that it's really stressful getting wrapped up in what everyone wants to do. So I've officially decided to let people go at their own pace/choose their own adventure and then we can hear all about it when we see each other at dinner :)

So, one thing to think of is the cost of parking at the parks. It's $25/car per day. If you go 14 days, that's $350. Add that to the cost of the 14 or 21 day ultimate hopper from the UK and you've pretty much got the price of the annual pass...so you might want to consider getting one or two annual passes for your group. The platinum pass is $894+tax, the platinum plus is $994+tax.

Both passes include memory maker as well, but the photos are good to download for the year that the pass is valid so no having to hurry up to download the pictures.

You get up to 20% off select dining (not sure which dining you are considering but here's a list):
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/

Since you're going during the summer, you might want to do the water parks so I would suggest the platinum plus pass. The others in the group (not sure how many "family" units there are) but one AP per family unit might be a good idea since I would think you would need at least 2 or 3 vehicles.

Then make sure you create MDE profiles and link to the non-AP holders (if you decide to go that route).

You won't be able to get those hot ticket headliners at 30 days out. I would suggest plan a few days for those who want to get to the parks super early (i.e. an hour before open) to rope drop one or two of the hot rides. Repeat a few days until you ride all you want in Star Wars Land and Pandora.

In the meantime, embrace last minute FPs and the refresh method. How long will you all be there? UK guests often stay for 2-3 weeks. If so, you have a lot of time to go to the parks leisurely especially if u take advantage of the UK 14-21 day Ultimate tickets (and upgrade a couple of them to Annual Passes for the savings in parking)

My in-laws are only coming for a week. I’m not sure how much they even care about the parks . That in itself is killing me. They tell me on one hand that I should plan everything, then on the other hand they may not go to the parks every day and probably won’t bother with RD. Huh? They’ve never done Disney with me! Maybe I just need to stay on property myself! It’s a shame that there is no cost effective way for 16 of us to stay on property.

Last edited:
I totally get what you’re saying! I have to plan for 12 people, ages 10 months to 54. We are also, staying offsite in a house. As we speak, on-site people are already booking the fast passes for our mid June vacation. I have all of the same issues that other people have talked about on here. Some want to do rope drop, some want to sleep in and some want to stay late. We will only have 2 cars and have so many varying budgets, that we only have one meal booked. The rest will be mostly be ate at the house. Wishing you lots of pixie dust!

It's nice to read all of these as I am also planning a trip with extended family. There are about 13 of us. I'm curious to hear how easy/difficult it was to make FP+ reservations for the entire group? I was going to tell everyone they are on their own but I don't mind making the initial reservations and letting people tailor how they want as some have suggested on here.

I agree with others who have said schedule one meal together per day. I have dinner reservations for us each day so that we can regroup towards the end of the day and talk about how our day went.

We are not getting PHs but we usually don't do PH. We are the same as you: RD, leave in the afternoon for a nap, come back to the same park at night. I think you just go in with the expectation that your immediate family will use that strategy and let everyone else do their own thing (whether that's PH or staying at the parks all day, etc.). I've learned that it's really stressful getting wrapped up in what everyone wants to do. So I've officially decided to let people go at their own pace/choose their own adventure and then we can hear all about it when we see each other at dinner :)

I just made FP last week for 12. It was easier than expected. I got everything including FOP (3rd day), SDD (4th & 5th day) & 7DMT (2nd & 6th day.) Everything else was no worry. I didn’t have to split up the group at all for any FP’s.

My in-laws are only coming for a week. I’m not sure how much they even care about the parks . That in itself is killing me. They tell me on one hand that I should plan everything, then on the other hand they may not go to the parks every day and probably won’t bother with RD. Huh? They’ve never done Disney with me! Maybe I just need to stay on property myself! It’s a shame that there is no cost effective way for 16 of us to stay on property.
I think you need to have a family email, Skype, group text, or something and find out each families expectations and touring styles. You might have to tour differently than you do with your own family.

One thing to look at is when all of you will be there together. If the IL's are only coming in for a week, and they have no interest really in the parks, then I would consider a split stay. Frankly, that number of people all together would remove any sense of "vacation" for me. I love my family but 16 people sharing a home, and trying to coordinate travel to and from attractions would not work for me.

Perhaps you could book the Family HOme for the week your IL's will be there, and move onsite for the balance of the trip. If you have discounts available in the UK you may save money.

In the meantime, I do plan for my family and we do travel as a largish group. I book one meal a day together, and we do plan to be in the same park together. I often book all FP for everyone and anyone can move them if they choose. We stay onsite because it is. Much easier for us to come and go as we wish.

We tend to buy hoppers if we are a large group giveing folks the opportunity to make touring changes as they wish.

We do have the outline in place based on chosen parks and meals, but because members of the crew tend to wander in and out, we will often meet up for a drink before dinner. That gives those who like to lounge around space and those who cannot sit still (me) a spot to meet when we split up.

I just made FP last week for 12. It was easier than expected. I got everything including FOP (3rd day), SDD (4th & 5th day) & 7DMT (2nd & 6th day.) Everything else was no worry. I didn’t have to split up the group at all for any FP’s.
I have a feeling you were booking 60 days ahead for your entire window, not 30 days rolling which is what the OP is worried about.

Sounds like the solution is to have your in-laws get their own rental car, buy their own tickets and make their own fp's. If they're not into the parks, don't sweat it.

And, honestly, we LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE staying offsite. I understand the apprehension, but you really should try it once. Having so much more space to spread out, and a pool right off of your kitchen, is amazing. It is very relaxing. Not to mention the fact that it is usually faster to get back to your rental home than it is to take Disney buses back to a Disney resort at the end of the day. To be honest, our children often say that our rental villa is their highlight over Disney.

Windsor Hills is amazing and about a 5 min. drive from Disney, if you get a say in which resort you will be staying at.

Thanks for the suggestions! We are looking at places to stay while they are visiting us from the UK this week. The price difference between staying onsite and offsite is huge, so I can see why people do it. They are paying for the accommodation for all of us ( because they want everyone to stay together I’m sure) and we are all responsible for our park tickets and getting to FL from wherever we are coming from.

They will be coming into the parks, but they just don’t care about rides or FP’s or anything like that. My family wants to see everything that’s going to be new, and I plan Disney like it’s my job.. so I guess that’s the difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter