Planning my day

pluto377

DIS Veteran
We're visiting April 5 (next week!) and we've bought the Express Pass. We're not planning on riding Hagrid's or Velocicoaster. We're also not planning on any of the other big coasters (some of the party are not tall enough and those that are hate coasters). Do we need to really plan our day? Or can we just go from ride to ride as we wish? Are the Express Pass lines usually short? We're hoping to get both parks done in one day. I'm so used to Disney where I need to plan everything to the minute. It feels weird not to be making a detailed plan.

... We're not planning on riding Hagrid's or Velocicoaster. We're also not planning on any of the other big coasters (some of the party are not tall enough and those that are hate coasters). Do we need to really plan our day? ... I'm so used to Disney where I need to plan everything to the minute. It feels weird not to be making a detailed plan.
Short answer, no, you don't have to.

Longer answer: At Disney, if you don't plan (and make all the right moves at the right times) you can just plain miss out on certain rides. You don't have that problem at Universal. Express Pass doesn't have reserved times, etc. On the other hand, though, it doesn't hurt to have a plan, especially a loose, flexible one! I'd actually call it having priorities, and an informed knowledge about an order to pursue. For sure, have the members of the party investigate the attractions and decide on their top ones. What is just like Disney is that early morning and late evening are times when you can get more done or have more fun. You might strategize how you start and end your day, and play the rest by ear.
Or can we just go from ride to ride as we wish?
Yup. Now, hopefully it goes without saying that you've got the 2-park ("hopper," in Disney lingo) tickets. These are even more useful than at Disney because the parks are so close together. You can ride the Hogwarts Express if you happen to be near the back of the park and the line is short, or you can just walk from gate to gate in like 5 minutes.

Even though the parks are close together and comparatively small, you might want to minimize back-tracking.
Are the Express Pass lines usually short? We're hoping to get both parks done in one day.
Although some have reported other experiences, it seems they generally aim to keep them to 20 minutes. Both parks in one day is totally doable especially if you don't want to do "all" the things.

Notes in case this is your first time:

If you're Harry Potter fans at all, or if you only don't want to do coasters because of heights, intensity, etc - I would still recommend doing Hagrids if possible. It is generally low to the ground and has lots of speed, but not a "big coaster" in the intensity sense. And it is a very unique, awesome, story-telling ride with animatronics & scenes. You might consider hopping in line at the end of the night, so you're not wasting any valuable park time waiting in line.

You will want to have a plan in place regarding the water rides - unless you don't mind wandering around a park soaked down through to the undergarments. Jurassic Park won't get you too badly, but the other two will have you sopping, dripping wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter