Playing a Sport in College?

cheerdancer11

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking about cheerleading in college, but i wasn't sure if it would take up all of my time. if you play a sport, how often do you practice? does it take time away from studying? thanks :)
Michele

Everyday :) You won't have time for a lot more than cheerleading and classes (if you go to a school with a competitive squad that is) Also, our coed team practices more than our all-girls I believe.

Where are you thinking about cheering at? My coaches cheered at Morehead and northern kentucky. They both also cheered at Eastern michigan. They said they had practice all the time especially during compitition season. The amount of practice you have will also depend on the school. For example the practiced more at morehead then at eastern. I hope this helps.

I cheer at Cal Poly, but its not competitive, and we dont have a football team. We only cheer for basketball, have practices 3 times a week (more if needed) and then double headers on fridays and saterdays.

I play on my universities club field hockey team, and although its not the true varsity team we practice three times a week and games on the weekend. The varsity team practices once a day during off season and two -three times a day during season! Im not sure how often out cheerleaders practice, we do not havea a football team at ODU, but a very competitive basketball team! I would have to say they practice 3 or more times per week! To sum this story up, basing this on my school, cheerleading and school will be all you basically have time for! But you are required to have study hall, mandatory. Also, your cheerleading squad will probobly become your best friends! Have fun and good luck!
Jess

My DS plays basketball at his college. It takes up most of his time. Practice is held 7 days a week! Sometimes double sessions if the team is not doing so well. He can not come home from October, when practice begins, to March, when playoffs are over. He is home for 2 days at Thanksgiving, 3 days at Christmas, that's all! During winter break, the campus is virtually empty, except for the men's and women's basketball teams. It's a lonely time. He also is required to play in NCAA sanctioned summer leagues ... can't play in any others.

He can not hold a job, no time for it during the season, and there are rules concerning what you can do off season. Luckily, the tradeoff for working hard at a sport and not at a job is an athletic scholarship.

He works hard at basketball and just loves it! It is his life! :)

Thanks for the input! The schools I'm looking at don't have really competitive sports/cheerleading (except Villanova, but their team is really hard to get onto in the first place) so hopefully I'll be able to cheer and have time for school too :fish:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter