Please Chime In! Recommendations for Best Restaurants for 1st Time Visitors

I have been dying to get my in laws to go to WDW with us so I already have a 1st timer restaurant list in mind! lol
Ohana for dinner
Boma for breakfast
LTT for lunch or dinner
Cape May for dinner
Biegarten for lunch or dinner
Capt Cooks for Tonga Toast
WGPE for lunch or dinner
BOG for breakfast
SCi FI for lunch or dinner
Yak and Yeti for dinner
Satuli Canteen for lunch
Trex for dinner
Home coming for lunch
Via Napoli for dinner
San Angel for dinner

I will break this down by park.

Magic Kingdom Pecos Bill ( LTT is good to)
Epcot Garden Grill and Rose & Crown
Hollywood Sci-Fi (one of my favorites)
Animal Kingdom Yak & Yeti's

Now I really believe the best places to eat are at the hotels. They just really have their act together.

We love Ohana, Boma, Jiko and if you go into Disney Springs Morimoto is our favorite

I've been to Disney countless times growing up until current, but my husband was a first time visitor last year so I will base my recommendations to you off of his feedback (and he's very hard to please!) :)

Resorts:
For breakfast, we highly recommend BOMA (AKL) and Whispering Canyon Café (WL). BOMA will treat you to buffet style African inspired dishes while WCC is more traditional; however, each is a great experience. The African ambiance in BOMA is very immersive, and WCC is interactive and great for kids (with a great view of the beautiful WL lobby). You can't go wrong with either.

For lunch or dinner, our hands-down favorite is O'hana at Poly. If you plan accordingly, you'll be treated to Happily Ever After while you dine, which really makes for a magical experience. The all-you-can-eat aspect is pretty great too.

For a fun experience for the whole family (especially for those with a sweet tooth), visit Beaches & Cream at BC and order the Kitchen Sink. There is enough ice cream and desserts crammed into a literal sink that makes a cool (no pun intended) challenge for a family of four or more to take on. I LOVED it - one of my favorite WDW memories!

Parks:
At MK we frequent BOG. It's worth the hype and good to experience it at least once! If you plan on going late morning (11:00 am or so) you'll be able to have lunch without having to fight for a reservation. We've dined in the West Wing and the Ballroom and both are fantastic. Be sure to set aside some time to walk through and take pictures as it is well worth it.

HS has one of our all-time favorite spots - Sci-Fi! While the food is nothing noteworthy aside from their amazing milkshakes (think traditional American), the experience is phenomenal. There's nothing quite like stepping back in time and eating a meal in a 50's Cadillac at a drive in!

EPCOT is basically our go-to park and we have loved every restaurant we've tried (putting aside F&G and F&W, which comes highly recommended as well if you travel during one of those times). San Angel Inn is another favorite spot of ours because of the ambiance (can you tell we like atmosphere with our food?) and because it's arguably one of the most romantic restaurants on site. Tokyo Dining offers great sushi and seafood options with a good view of the lagoon, and we were pleasantly surprised by Nine Dragons as well.

We have yet to try any of the restaurants at AK.

Downtown:
For sit down, STK is our uncontested top pick. We LOVE the quality of their steaks as well as their delicious sides (my husband covets their sourdough bread and butter appetizer, and I could kill for their mashed potatoes and sweet corn chowder). We make it a point to dine here for special occasions as it is on the pricier side. As a second choice, we thoroughly enjoyed Homecoming for their unique menu and awesome chicken and doughnuts.

For quick bites, Blaze Pizza and D'Luxe Burger have never steered us wrong. Both are moderately priced and have us coming back each time we visit as we just can't seem to say no.

Last edited:
One suggestion I do have at looking at suggestions, is to pick 2 of the three of Boma, Sanaa, and Tusker House. They are all wonderful (and we are going to Boma twice and Sanaa once in August). However, we went to Sanaa, Boma twice, and Tusker House last trip and it got to be too much of the same types of food in my opinion.

How much squash and tumeric can one person eat?

I would recommend Sanaa once and Boma once. Eating at a buffet (Tusker House) and walking through AK in the heat was rough going!

Wolfgang Puck Express in Disney Springs is a great way to save a TS credit. It counts as a QS but the food is more like TS quality food. Another way to save credits is to share TS meals, especially if you have kids in the party. My family of 5 often ended up throwing away a full plate's worth of food (even with 2 teenagers) so we started ordering 4 meals to share and it was usually just about right. I just always told my kids lets start with sharing and if you're still hungry we can order more. But by the time we were done (plus there's dessert!) they usually didn't want more. Doing it that way you can rack up an extra credit or two at every meal. Depending on the age of your kids, it can be beneficial to upgrade them to adults for the meal plan. We did that for my daughter and it allowed her to order off the adult menu, making sharing easier. I think it cost a total of about $20 to upgrade her for the whole trip.

Or just buy a QS dinner out of pocket one night to save a credit for Hoop De Doo. It's well worth it, in my opinion. Such a fun show! We've seen it probably 10 times or more and still love it.

I know HDD is 2 TS credits, but is that for level 1 or level 2? TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter