Please help me overcome my fear!

Ber

Earning My Ears
Hi Everybody,

Well this is my first time to post but I have been a regular reader of the Dis boards since my first trip to Orlando last September. I am delighted to say that my boyfriend and I are planning a return trip Oct/Nov 03. I have been miserable since returning home but reading the dis boards have helped me greatly!;) The reason I am posting, is to ask you all to give me some advice on how I can overcome my fear of doing the coasters. I had full intentions of doing them last year but when I saw them in reality, I completely lost my nerve. I hate the fact I let my fear get the better of me, and I have regretted it ever since. So I am asking all you coaster lovers to tell me why I should face my fear and what should I expect if I do manage to get myself onto one! As I said I am a regular reader of the boards and I know how helpful you all are so im sure you all can convince me why I should do the coasters!

Awaiting your reply,
Ber.:Pinkbounc

This is a tricky one. I would try starting off on something easy like Goofy's Barnstormer and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and then work your way up.

I think that many people are put off by the look of coasters. The reality is that they are all very safe and when you ride them you feel very securely fixed in. I was a bit dubious about Nemesis at Alton Towers before I went on it but you are so well fastened in and it is so smooth that you never feel in any danger.

Another tip is to keep your eyes OPEN furing the ride. Many people shut their eyes - this makes the ride MORE intense as you cannot see what is happening - keep them open especially during inversions it is much better.

Just try them - chances are that you will love them and you certainly won't be harmed!

I agree that you should keep your eyes open if you can - although most of us close our eyes from time to time!

If you are frightened of the height that coasters go you could try one of the indoor coasters. The RocknRoller Coaster at Disney MGM Studios is good becuase you don't get intimidated by it from the outside, and there is no slow climb to the top of the first hill to build up your fear. It's a launched coaster, so you go whooosh and you're into it! Don't worry if you first two or three coasters make you feel a bit wobbly-knee'd when you come off them. This is perfectly normal, and should be expected!!

Why should you face your fear? Well, the worst thing that could happen is that you come off the coaster feeling a bit shaky and queasy. You'll soon recover, and then you'll know whether coasters are for you or not. On the other hand, you could discover that the adrenalin rush from these attractions gives you a complete buzz which lasts all day and really lifts your holiday onto another level all together. You'll also have a sense of satisfaction from having overcome your fear. Only you can decide whther this is worth taking the risk for.

Regards and happy coastering!

Rob

I agree with the start easy and build up ideas. Disney's are the least extreme of the coasters so they are an ideal place to start. I would start on something like the Big thunder Mountain building up with Space Mountain and Splash to RnR at Tower of terror ( not a coaster but pretty extreme). At SeaWorld JTA is a fun ride and the drop you see from infront of the ride is the most extreme part. Kraken is a GREAT rollercoaster and very smooth. IOA has some really great coasters ( Duelling Dragons in the front row has got to be the best of all) but Busche Gardens probably has the most coasters to do and don't be fooled by Kwazi's lack of inversions, it's a pretty hairy ride :) ( as DG Jana will tell you LOL)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your tips, Rob I think your right, I should just face my fear, get on them and then make up my mind one way or the other whether im gonna be a coaster fan or not. I just have to remember all the good advice you guys have given me when I go back next year.;)
My boyfriend has already done some of the coasters in Orlando and he assures me I will love them, but I needed an independent opinion just incase he was not telling me the truth!

Thanking you all again,
Ber.:D

You could also imagine that an impatient Roy Keane is immediately behind you in the queue - minutes after having had a few drinks with Mick McCarthy.
Somehow, the prospect of the 'other' Incredible Hulk your queing up for will seem like a dawdle in comparison!!

Enjoy them when you get there.

Brian

Ber

I fully understand your feelings, however at the grand old age of 42, I did my first coaster last friday at Legoland. Now there are people who will tell you that the Dragon ride is not a real coaster.

However this was a monumental step for me as I am scared of heights and suffer very badly with IBS, so any form of stress will trigger a trip to the nearest loo. But, having watched DD and DW have a go first I summoned up the courage and went through with it. It was good fun but I would have to admit to being scared at the top of the drops. I don't know how I would be on a real coaster though. Perhaps the next one will be the biggie for me.

Like Rob suggests, start with a tiddler and work your way up.

Regards

Dazzle:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

My mother is petrified roller coasters, slides etc but will always go on them. She just looks upon it that overcoming her fear is a personal achievement. And I have to admit that with horrible folk like my partner and I goading her she some woman.

We played a really nasty trick on her at one of the Water Parks (either TL or RC). There are a pair of slides, not that tall, they are almost vertical with about a 6 foot drop to the pool below. Mother told us to video her on this slide so she could show everyone back home that she had done it. Well, did we not pretend that the camera hadnt worked so she ahd to go on the slide again. Take what we got when she watched the video back and realised we had duped her lol

Ber,

Most of my life I have been terrified of everything - coasters being just one of a long list. What I have come to learn is that a major factor in overcoming any fear is familiarity. The bad news is that it is highly unlikely that you will ride one coaster and overcome your fear. What you will experience is a huge sense of achievement and exhilaration once you find the courage to ride the first one.

The more coasters (and other 'scary' rides) I do, the easier it gets, but I still do feel apprehensive. For years I was desperate to ride ToT, but couldn't go through with it. I've now ridden 3 times and it does get a little easier each time. What I've discovered from actually riding all the attractions is that the modern coasters with all the inversions are not what hold the most fear for me - they are really smooth and I actually like the sensation. What really scares the living daylights out of me is big drops, so I don't like ToT, Splash Mountain (I must have ridden it 15 times and it still makes me nervous!) or coasters which crank you into the heavens and then drop you miles! I can not ever imagine wanting to ride Dr Doom's Fearfall. What I DO want to do, but haven't yet plucked up the courage, are Jurassic Park and Journey to Atlantis.

I agree with the comments about starting gently and building up. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is the best to start with, IMHO. There are no big drops (even though you think there are going to be, they don't materialise - just as you think you're about to drop, you turn a corner instead), but it's just fast enough for you to feel you've achieved something. You'll probably want to ride again straight away! Space Mountain I'm not sure about - it's fast and bumpy and probably not the best place for a beginner to start. I love it, but I scream from start to finish! My favourites are Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and The Hulk. Both shoot you off from a standing start, which totally takes your breath away the first time you ride, but by the fifth time you won't even notice it! :rolleyes: Duelling Dragons is OK once it gets going, but I don't like the huge haul up to the top of the first drop.

Both my friend and my sister-in-law are fine with ToT, Dr Doom, Splash Mountain, etc., but hate R'n'R, Hulk and Duelling Dragons, so I think you will need to try a few things to find out what it is that you're really afraid of. I think mine is probably a combination of fear of heights and that feeling of 'losing your stomach' when you drop.

I also totally agree with the tip about keeping your eyes open - your instinct is to close them, but it does increase the intensity of the sensations you feel. Since I learned to keep my eyes open, I find it all far more enjoyable.

Hope I haven't got too 'heavy', but if I can do it, anyone can. Trust me!

Ber

I too was afraid of coasters for years. Then the first coaster I decided to go on was Nemesis at Alton Towers - Was I mad??? I was with a group of friends and we were all in our 20's and I thought that they would take the mick if I didn't go on. The worst thing was I had to Q for an hour and I kept thinking "what am I doing?". We got on the coaster and I shut my eyes for the whole experience until near the end and thought "oh this is fun" and then it finished a couple of seconds after that and I was really disappointed. I then went on the black hole 3 times and loved it (I think especially as it was in the dark).

When I first went to Orlando I did the coasters at Busch Gardens fine no problemo but during my subsequent visits I have found myself get concerned over the height rather than the ups and downs and twists. So I now keep my eyes shut as the coaster goes up and then open them as I feel we're about to go swoooosh.

Therefore my favourites are - Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain at MK, Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror at MGM, Incredible Hulk at IoA and Journey to Atlantis at Sea World.

And I know this sounds really silly but I love the little coasters at Busch - The Python and The Scorpion - normally when I go here in the "fall" there aren't any Q's for these coasters as they're "allegedly" so tame but I love them and I get to ride in the front over and over again!

My DB is very afraid of coasters and I don't force him to go on them at all. He goes on Big Thunder Mountain (at a push) - but he doesn't like the motion of coasters. I still go on the coasters on my own and I think in time he'll be missing me each time I go on one that he'll eventually join me but I'm leaving that totally up to him. That said I don't think he'll ever go on the likes of "Duelling Dragons" or "Rock n Roller Coaster" but my aim is to get him on Space Mountain......one day.

Good luck Ber and I really hope that you can over come your fear and try it, I know it ain't easy and then if you don't like it at least you'll know and let's face it you can still have a fantastic time in Orlando without going on a coaster;)

we were just discussing this on the beach at the northern meet, and someone mentioned that it was much easier to get onto Rock n Roller coaster than any of the others, because you couldn't see the coaster beforehand, so you didn't get so nervous.

Personally, I haven't tried RnR yet, but I want to. My main problem is that Katie isn't tall enough, & someone needs to be with her, so I would have to go on my own, and I'm not brave enough to go on my own.

Goofy's Barnstormer is quite a good one, as you can see that there's not much too it, and if you don't like it, then it's over very quickly. I am quite happy on there. I also like Splash Mountain, although I close my eyes and hold on tight for the big drop, but really enjoy the rest of it.

I would suggest start small and work your way up.

Bev

Hi Orlando Lovers,

I just wanted to say thanks so much for all your advice on how I can overcome my fear and get on the coasters, I've really enjoyed reading all your tips and I must say they are really encouraging me to take the plunge and get onto a coaster. Unfortunately I will have to wait to test myself till October '03 but I probably will need that much time to prepare myself for the challenge. I must be a bit of a freak because when I went to Orlando last September I just stepped straight onto TOT and loved it yet I couldn't summon up the courage to do a coaster!!:confused:
Anyway I hope that when I do return from Orlando I can tell you all how I faced my fear and did the coasters!

Thanks again everybody,
Ber.:wave:

LOL Ber :p :p :p

How weird is that you can do ToT but not coasters that gave me a bit of a chuckle this morning. If you love that you're bound to enjoy some of the other "tame" coasters.

Hi Sam,

Yeah your right, it baffled me too, as I have found out from reading the dis boards a lot of people are reluctant to get on TOT, hopefully this means when I go back I will just get on the coasters having remembered the fact I can do TOT with ease.:p
Roll on Oct/Nov '03.

Take care, Ber.

:Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter