Please HELP! Southwest, Costa Rica or West?

lilyteen

Life is one, big adventure!
Hello! I am planning on taking our first Adventures by Disney trip this upcoming spring (probably April 2010). I realize that the ABD 2010 itineraries do not come out until August (thanks to the posts on these boards!). I have read some of the wonderful and informative trip reports here, but I cannot for the life of me decide which trip to take -- the Southwest Splendours, Quest for the West, or Costa Rica Pura Vida. Can anyone give me their honest recommendations on which one I should do as a first? They are basically the same price. Our traveling party includes 2 9 yr. olds, a 10 yr. old, 15yr. old, 66 yr. old. I would not classify the kids as adventurous or athletic by any means. Hubby wants to stay in USA (prefers Grand Canyon of the 3), one girl wants Costa Rica. Then I've always had a fascination with cowboys and the Big Sky country. I think we would experience this at either Quest for the West or Southwest Splendors. Yet, Costa Rica would be awesome as well and rather exotic. Any suggestions or recommendations would be so greatly appreciated, as perhaps others opinions will help sway me in either direction. I must say I was not completely impressed with some of the lodging choices that people are speaking about that are used in these ABD trips. Thanks!

Well, of the 3, the only one I've been on is Southwest Splendors. I have to say, from what I've read, and from a totally biased point of view (;)) Southwest Splendors is probably your best bet as a first time ABD, and with the family dynamics you've described. The Grand Canyon is spectacular, and not to be missed. From what I've read, Costa Rica is rather a more physical trip, although Southwest splendors is not sedentary, either. The American Southwest, and the desert, are amazingly, spectacularly beautiful in a way I never imagined. Ever-changing. I always thought the desert was boring & monotonous...

The weather in the Southwest should be spectacular in April. I'm not sure what it's like in Wyoming & Yellowstone that time of year; I don't even think they offer Quest for the West in April... It can get cold up there even in the summer months. I imagine Costa Rica would be lovely in April, also.

Unfortunately, since many of the USA trips are centered around National Parks, the selection as to hotels is pretty limited. Better options just don't really exist. Only licensed providers can set up hotels in National Parks, plus it's pretty seasonal, so you end up with older, more "rustic" hotels, with pretty inexperienced staff. HOPEFULLY, Disney is paying attention, and will stop using the Thunderbird for the Southwest trip, as I haven't read one report from anyone (both on & off this board) who liked it there. Great view, lousy hotel.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Southwest Splendors trip; I'd be happy to answer them.

Sayhello

Thanks for the reply! I read your Southwest Splendors trip report and it was a wonderful interpretation of the trip. Sounds like alot of fun. But I must say this - I looked up the hotels that Disney uses for this trip on Tripadvisor and I am very leery of booking this excursion. You should see what others are saying about some of the hotels - reviews that describe filth, cockroaches, bad service, horrible rooms, etc. I almost died when I was reading the ones about the Thunderbird, Amara and Red Cliffs. Our family is horrified with bugs and filth, so now I am very spooked about whether to book this or not. I would simply go nuts if I was in a urine or feces-stained room with bug infestation. Oh, dear! I am even now more confused than before now that I've read some of the hotel reviews that are used in these ABD trips. Help!

Thanks for the reply! I read your Southwest Splendors trip report and it was a wonderful interpretation of the trip. Sounds like alot of fun. But I must say this - I looked up the hotels that Disney uses for this trip on Tripadvisor and I am very leery of booking this excursion. You should see what others are saying about some of the hotels - reviews that describe filth, cockroaches, bad service, horrible rooms, etc. I almost died when I was reading the ones about the Thunderbird, Amara and Red Cliffs. Our family is horrified with bugs and filth, so now I am very spooked about whether to book this or not. I would simply go nuts if I was in a urine or feces-stained room with bug infestation. Oh, dear! I am even now more confused than before now that I've read some of the hotel reviews that are used in these ABD trips. Help!
You've got to be kidding! The Amara and the Red Cliffs Lodge are 2 of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at!!! Where in the world have you been reading reviews? I admit, from the reports here, the Thunderbird Lodge deserves its reputation, but nothing could be further from the truth for the Amara and the Red Cliffs Lodge! The layout of the Amara was a bit odd, but the rooms and the grounds were fabulous, clean, comfortable (almost too much so!) and the Red Cliffs Lodge was a little slice of heaven. Amazing staff, welcoming, helpful. I am flabbergasted. I cannot imagine that *both* properties could have declined that much in a year!

I don't know what to tell you. I'd still go on this trip again, even with it going to the Thunderbird instead of the Grand Hotel. It was that good of a trip. I can't imagine what people would want nicer than the Amara & the Red Cliffs Lodge. But you have to do what you think is best.

I have no idea what the hotels in Costa Rica are like, but I can't imagine that the Quest for the West ones are better than the Amara & the Red Cliffs Lodge.

Color me puzzled...

Sayhello

ETA: OK, I went to check out TripAdvisor, and I must say, I'm even more puzzled by your statements. I read through the first 5 or six pages of reviews for both hotels, and while the first one for the Amara did seem bad (the cockroach in the spa) that is the ONLY negative review I read. I agree that's bothersome, but NO ONE else reported an issue with bugs. Some said that they were expecting it to be better than it was, one was disappointed because it wasn't like the Waldorf, but in general, the reviews were very positive with a couple here & there that seemed to have over-blown expectations.

And there were NO negative reviews that I read for Red Cliffs Lodge! Most were positively GLOWING except for one guy that seemed miffed because the Lodge had been taken over by those Disney people....;)

So I must say, from what I'm reading, I think you're overreacting a bit. That's just my opinion. You absolutely have to go by what seems right to you. I just don't want other people to be scared off of this trip by what is really an issue for only one out of three hotels (The Thunderbird). I still hope Disney goes back to the Grand...

We have been on both Costa Rica and Quest for the West. One thing to consider is how you want your weather on vacation. Costa Rica is humid and hot. Quest for the West has much lower humidity, but it can get chilly. Both are truly great. Both have many animal sightings, waterfalls, and whitewater rafting. Zip-lining is truly a once in a lifetime experience, but it is not for the faint of heart. The hotel at the foot of the volcano is spectacular in Costa Rica, and there are hot springs, and plenty of swimming, and beach time. Quest has the geysers and horseback riding. All hotels in Costa Rica are spacious and beautiful. AC is not always up to American Standards though. Quest for the West has a wonderful hotel in Jackson Hole, Yellowstone Hotel is more like nice Days Inn or Hampton Inn. Brooks Lake Lodge has spectacular setting. All room sizes are not equal though, some cabins, some smaller rooms. I hope some of that info helps. Good luck in deciding.

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I did in fact read these reviews on TripAdvisor. You are probably right that I overreacted. What I did was type in the hotel and then I start with the 'terrible' reviews first and work my way up rather than just read the most recent. I also neglected to mention that I was including the hotels that ABD uses on their Quest for the West trip as well. If you type in the hotels used on Quest and SWS, you will see that there are reports of bugs, over-rated quarters, bad service and so forth. I must admit that I have a fetish when it comes to bugs and dirt, probably much more so than that of the regular person. But also, I want to point out that I am fresh off two visits to WDW in the last year. We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (concierge level) in their exclusive 2 bdrm. sprawling family suite which virtually sits right on the savannah with the animals within 10 ft. of our balcony. Our 2nd visit which was in June, we stayed concierge level at the Grand Floridian and dined at Victoria & Albert's. So here I am trying to plan something different for my family...but trusting in the Disney name to make this a trip we'd never forget...then to even hear some of the negatives really has me questioning whether the ABD trips are in fact as up-to-par as the true Disney-run hotels and properties. Now I don't know what to do or whether to take a trip with them. Perhaps they will change the lodging for the 2010 itineraries?

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I did in fact read these reviews on TripAdvisor. You are probably right that I overreacted. What I did was type in the hotel and then I start with the 'terrible' reviews first and work my way up rather than just read the most recent. I also neglected to mention that I was including the hotels that ABD uses on their Quest for the West trip as well. If you type in the hotels used on Quest and SWS, you will see that there are reports of bugs, over-rated quarters, bad service and so forth. I must admit that I have a fetish when it comes to bugs and dirt, probably much more so than that of the regular person. But also, I want to point out that I am fresh off two visits to WDW in the last year. We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (concierge level) in their exclusive 2 bdrm. sprawling family suite which virtually sits right on the savannah with the animals within 10 ft. of our balcony. Our 2nd visit which was in June, we stayed concierge level at the Grand Floridian and dined at Victoria & Albert's. So here I am trying to plan something different for my family...but trusting in the Disney name to make this a trip we'd never forget...then to even hear some of the negatives really has me questioning whether the ABD trips are in fact as up-to-par as the true Disney-run hotels and properties. Now I don't know what to do or whether to take a trip with them. Perhaps they will change the lodging for the 2010 itineraries?
I think if you're really looking for accommodations on a par with the concierge level of The Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Grand Floridian, you'd probably want to look at the Signature trips ABD offers (although, so far, they are only offered for South Africa & Yosemite. No idea about next year). You would love Yosemite, fabulous, amazing place. And the Ahwanee is a magnificent hotel.

Otherwise, I don't think any of the USA trips would be up to your standards... (Except maybe Backstage Magic, which is all in the city in and around Los Angeles & Disneyland).

I doubt they'll leave the Amara or the Red Cliffs Lodge. They might return to the Grand instead of the Thunderbird, I'd hope. But the rumors are of them offering a line of trips with *less* fancy lodgings... I doubt they're going to change to more expensive unless they add more Signature trips.

Sayhello

We've gone on 3 ABD trips so far--and all are top notch. You can do no wrong in taking an adventure with Disney! We did our own driving trip up through Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and eventually down to Moab, Grand Canyon and Sedona--and stayed in hotels that Disney used in Moab and Sedona. Both the Amara and the Moab ressort were excellent properties--no problems whatsoever. In Grand Canyon we did not stay in the Thunderbird--toured it briefly and didn't like it, but it is a national park and Disney is stuck with what they have. Can't fault them to go with rooms with a view of the rim. I think Disney does listen to guest suggestions--we've seen many changes over the past few years in the various ABD trips we have taken, and look forward to another this December. We have decided to save up for out of country trips--there is a certain thrill (and some risk, too) to traveling where you don't know the language or currency--but you are in such a comfortable environment with the Disney guides, once you are with them it is a very relaxing and exciting adventure. I'd go with Costa Rica, but from everything I've read in this blog site (very underused, by the way--check out the cruise blog!) the US trips have a big "wow" factor.

Thank you so much for all your input, sayhello & weloveabd. Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated. Yes, I am sorry but I think you are right in saying that I am accustomed to finer lodgings. That is what I was expecting. Ironically, I did look into some other so-called 'top' tour operators, and their lodging choices on their tours are really no better and some are far worse! I know that you get what you pay for, I will definitely look into the signature trip then (the Yosemite one that was mentioned). Perhaps that will be more to my liking. Also, I did notice that the Costa Rica hotels that are used by ABD had a better review than some of the ones from the USA. That was a shocking result for me, as I would think that the service would be better here in the states than it would be overseas. Apparently, this does not seem to be the case. We all seem to have our own quirks, and mine seems to be lodging. I really really need to have a nice, modern, uber clean place in order to truly enjoy myself. It is just what our family is accustomed to, I would much rather pay more to have a top hotel than save a few bucks with one that was sub-standard.

I think the difference in hotels, comes from what is available in each location. Costa Rica actually has more choices in the locations you stay at than do the National Park Hotels. The National Parks are overall not 4 or 5 stars. They just don't exsist at most National Parks. The Hotels in Costa Rica where very nice, and included hot tubs in the rooms or on the balcony, and views of the Volcano or the Beach.

There were a couple of reasons we chose QFTW.

It was a specialized adults only group that was put together with a very good price!

I spent 2 incredible summers out in NM and AZ and have not had an opportunity to explore a more northern region like Wyoming. It is giving my husband and I the opportunity to invest back into the US economy.

We have been very fortunate to travel around the world and I think sometimes it's easier to think that traveling abroad is more exciting and sometimes it is, but this year was about rediscovering this great country that we get to call home!

I am VERY picky about hotels and can easily see us booking signature trips in the future if it meant getting the nicer hotels. However I am choosing to trust the reports on this board and the reputation of ABD to know that no matter what we are going to have a great time! We leave for our first ABD August 25th!

For what it's worth:thumbsup2

Our traveling party includes 2 9 yr. olds, a 10 yr. old, 15yr. old, 66 yr. old. I would not classify the kids as adventurous or athletic by any means. Hubby wants to stay in USA (prefers Grand Canyon of the 3), one girl wants Costa Rica.

I haven't been on the two US trips, but we took our first ABD trip to Costa Rica last year and I would recommend it. We had a wonderful time. There are a lot of outdoor activities, but nothing that is too strenuous. The rafting trip is pretty mild, but the kids do have to paddle. My son was 8 at the time, and he complained a bit about the heat on the hike through Manual Antonio, but he really enjoyed seeing the animals and forgot all about the heat once we got to the beach at the end of the hike. The zip lining is definitely adventurous. We had a lot of kids on our trip and none of them were the least bit timid about it. Mine loved it and so did I (and I'm afraid of heights). The hotels we stayed at were beautiful (I have heard that ABD used a different hotel for the beach part of the trip this year - but I'm sure it is beautiful too). My one regret is that I didn't get to spend more time at the Arenal Kioro. It was a lovely setting and I wish we had a little more free time there just to hang out and enjoy the hotel. ABD does a great job. I'm sure any of one of your 3 choices will be fantastic.

Hi there
We have just returned from the quest for the west and did costa rica last year. Also 3 of the parties on our trip this year did the southwest splendors last year and stated that the quest for the west was better.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Both trip were amazing for very different reasons. That is why it is very difficilt to advise but here are just a couple of points.

Costa Rica treated disney like VIP's the rooms were the best, always suites or similar, the food tremendous and always in a restaurant or unusal location. The transport was different - coach and plane, boat ., zipline No very long journeys!! watched a volcanoe explode at 3am in the morning... awesome, hot springs and unusal animals all made for a fantastic trip.

Quest - hiking, scenery breathtaking and brooks lodge is special (a little peice of heaven) but we very much felt like the rest of the hotels treated us like a coach tour - rooms were average and meals were served in characterless function rooms. Don't get me wrong this is still a great way to see Yellowstone and surrounding areas but it is VERY apparant that costa rica needed the business but yellowston (except Brooks lodge) did not
Again chose this trip because there was no long coach journeys, which southwest does have.

Good luck which ever one you choise you will have a ball

Thanks for your valuable insight, pipchd! You are very likely correct in saying that Costa Rica would be more inclined to compete for business than would the ones in the USA. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I ran all of the hotels that ABD uses on those three trips (CR, SWS, QFTW) and found the Costa Rican hotel choices were rated much higher than those within the USA. I appreciate the fact that you brought up that you are treated like VIPs on the Costa Rica trip. I am anxiously awaiting the new 2010 dates and rates because there could always be a change in the hotels and/or itineraries. I am hoping that they do not significantly alter the Costa Rican adventure, because I am really interested in that one as it is. From what I am reading, it seems as if Disney sends you on these adventures under the watchful of eye of about 2 travel guides per group, is that right? What is the approximate age of these people? Are they young kids who are assigned the responsibility of being in charge of the entire group of up to 40 travelers on an ABD? That has me wondering whether we (as tourists with ABD) are truly under secure conditions as one would think was the case.

The guides are highly trained, very experienced and completely professional. You are extremely well cared for and secure.

I have to start off by saying that I haven't been on any of the ABD tours, but I have been to Costa Rica twice and just wanted to make a few comments. I could catch a lot of flack from writing this because I know many people have been on this tour and loved it, but I thought I'd write anyway to give you another perspective.

Costa Rica is beautiful, but April would not be my choice in terms of when to go. First, it's at the end of the "dry" season, which means it's not as green as earlier in the dry season. April in Costa Rica does not equate to temperate weather. It's just plain hot and humid. I would say it's very much on par with Orlando in August. Second, April is one of the more crowded times of the year (Easter and Christmas are the busiest weeks of the year to go). In April, you can expect the Manuel Antonio national park to be very crowded. In fact, people have to get there early enough in the morning because it will close due to the number of visitors. I'm certain you'll get into the park, but the point is, so will tons and tons of other people.

I've stayed at 2 of the hotels in Costa Rica included on the tour, and I think you could do better. Don't get me wrong, they were nice, but there are nicer. For instance, we stayed in both Hotel Parador (1st trip) and then Buena Vista Villas (2nd trip) in Manuel Antonio and BV Villas was absolutely gorgeous and definitely several steps above the Parador (go onto Trip Advisor and check out the pictures). I feel that Costa Rica is a trip that is very, very easy to plan on your own. This is the one place that I wouldn't go on an organized trip. There are many activities that are easy to plan online and there are many great tour guides. You'll get so much more out of it if you plan on your own and you can ensure that you are staying at the nicest places that Costa Rica has to offer.

I think you could pretty easily manage most of the ABD itineraries on your own. Just depends on kind of vacation you want. I know some people who would go absolutely bonkers if they had to follow a tour schedule. But if you want a vacation with absolutely no worries, where all you have to do is relax, have fun, and let somebody else take care of all the details for you, then ABD is perfect. For myself, I know if I had drive those narrow, curvy Costa Rican roads, where people park their cars in the road (they don't pull over to the side), I would have been totally stressed. And the language difference would have been a problem too. Plus ABD adds a lot of extra touches, that you're just not going to get on your own. But you have a very good point. Personally, I wouldn't pay the ABD price for the Philadelphia/DC trip. I'm sure it is a great trip, but that one is just too easy to do on my own.

We did Southwest Splendors last year and loved it. We are also leaving on Quest for the West in 2 weeks. I have no doubt that I could have planned either trip on my own, probably for less $, but it wouldn't have been the same. The guides were absolutely superb, and not having to worry about any of the arrangements was well worth the price of admission. Also, another benefit of ABD vacations are your fellow travelers. I cannot stress enough how much enjoyment we got out of meeting the other families on our trip and how much fun the kids had interacting and playing with the other kids on the group. Some of these families we still keep in touch with! Once again, the value of the guides in facilitating the group interactions cannot be underestimated.

I'm sure we could get "more luxurious" or more specialized itineraries. But bottom line, it was about the fun, wonderful family experience. I'm hoping that Quest will live up to our expectations for a fun and magical time.

Turtlemom

Hope you have a great time on your Trip. I think you raised a great point - the comraderie that one must get from a group like that must be special. I hope, if we decide to do an ABD for this upcoming year, that we have as great a trip as everyone has on these boards. I also wanted to ask - doesn't Disney give you a welcome package with a backpack and other items that some of the other companies would not do? Or do they all do things like this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter