Please help the wife of a football junkie

Geesh some of you are so dramatic. They’re on vacation (I assume a week) and the man only wants 3 hours to watch a football game. He’s not asking to go to a strip club and get a lap dance while he’s on vacation with his family.

OP we also compromise in our relationship. I also don’t feel the need to be with him every minute of everyday whether in real life or vacation. I actually love my alone time and try to get a few hours to myself while on vacation. Even if it’s just going to the gift shop while everyone gets ready or sleeps a bit.

If I wasn’t into the game I would send him to the room or to ESPN alone and enjoy some time in Epcot alone (if the boys like football they can go with him)! Last trip DD12 wasn’t up for anymore F&W booths so she went back to BWV while I explored for an hour or two. It was great!

In 2015 we were in Disney during my SO fantasy draft. He went back to the room to do it on his lap top and we stayed at Epcot for illuminations. No big deal.

He’s a Dallas fan and I’m an eagles fan (blasphemy!) so if his team was playing while we’re on vacation I may or may not go. I know he would definitely go for his team. I have no issue hanging out alone. If my team is also playing then I’ll go too. But I’m also a football fan and would have fun taking a break. DD12 and I actually ate dinner at ESPN one night (walk in) during our trip and watched some basketball that was done.

We are also midday break people so it would work right into our schedule. We would just use the game as our “break.”

Last edited:
We love college football and basketball... but with what it costs to go to a Disney theme park, I can't imagine leaving to watch a football game!

I usually carve out some time at ESPN whenever I’m down. During football games it can be crazy ...bartenders seem a little understaffed but that might be by design. But on a normal evening in say baseball season it’s a nice night. The bartenders are friendly and the food is better than you might imagine ...probably a notch or two above typical bar food

I usually carve out some time at ESPN whenever I’m down. During football games it can be crazy ...bartenders seem a little understaffed but that might be by design. But on a normal evening in say baseball season it’s a nice night. The bartenders are friendly and the food is better than you might imagine ...probably a notch or two above typical bar food

DD and I got ribeyes and they were pretty good!

Reactions: GAN

Geesh some of you are so dramatic. They’re on vacation (I assume a week) and the man only wants 3 hours to watch a football game. He’s not asking to go to a strip club and get a lap dance while he’s on vacation with his family.

OP we also compromise in our relationship. I also don’t feel the need to be with him every minute of everyday whether in real life or vacation. I actually love my alone time and try to get a few hours to myself while on vacation. Even if it’s just going to the gift shop while everyone gets ready or sleeps a bit.

If I wasn’t into the game I would send him to the room or to ESPN alone and enjoy some time in Epcot alone (if the boys like football they can go with him)! Last trip DD12 wasn’t up for anymore F&W booths so she went back to BWV while I explored for an hour or two. It was great!

In 2015 we were in Disney during my SO fantasy draft. He went back to the room to do it on his lap top and we stayed at Epcot for illuminations. No big deal.

He’s a Dallas fan and I’m an eagles fan (blasphemy!) so if his team was playing while we’re on vacation I may or may not go. I know he would definitely go for his team. I have no issue hanging out alone. If my team is also playing then I’ll go too. But I’m also a football fan and would have fun taking a break. DD12 and I actually ate dinner at ESPN one night (walk in) during our trip and watched some basketball that was done.

We are also midday break people so it would work right into our schedule. We would just use the game as our “break.”
Agree 100%. We too are mid-day break people and weather permitting hang at the pool. DH follows his University's football & basketball teams(my school doesn't have big time athletics).
We go during the fall so if we are at the pool he will listen to the game on his tablet same as he does at home and maybe catch the 4th quarter if it is on TV. I know if we went during the NCAA basketball tournament we would definitely take a break to watch his team's game & I would be fine with it.

Agree 100%. We too are mid-day break people and weather permitting hang at the pool. DH follows his University's football & basketball teams(my school doesn't have big time athletics).
We go during the fall so if we are at the pool he will listen to the game on his tablet same as he does at home and maybe catch the 4th quarter if it is on TV. I know if we went during the NCAA basketball tournament we would definitely take a break to watch his team's game & I would be fine with it.

On our next trip I have us flying in on a Sunday during football season. This may get interesting. Lol. It’s in 2020 so that schedule isn’t out yet but I’m sure we can catch the game at a lounge or ESPN.

I mean it is his vacation too. If a football game makes him happy on his vacation what’s the big deal? I know if I told my SO that I would like a spa afternoon at the GF for our next trip he would tell me to go for it and have no issues spending a few hours alone. But that’s just how we are.

On our next trip I have us flying in on a Sunday during football season. This may get interesting. Lol. It’s in 2020 so that schedule isn’t out yet but I’m sure we can catch the game at a lounge or ESPN.

I mean it is his vacation too. If a football game makes him happy on his vacation what’s the big deal? I know if I told my SO that I would like a spa afternoon at the GF for our next trip he would tell me to go for it and have no issues spending a few hours alone. But that’s just how we are.
On our last couple of trips I got a Manicure/Pedicure at the GF Spa on a Saturday morning . My DH did a monorail tour, sat on a bench reading and caught some College Football Gameday on the pool bar TV before meeting me. I told him he could hang at our resort and come later but he liked checking out the other resorts ( & menus at the restaurants).

Our only Epcot day will be on Sept. 29th.
Ahhh, food and wine and a multitude of yummy dining choices. So where are going to eat lunch you ask?
Drum roll please!!!

Splitsville! So yeah, that's apparently happening. My husband is a HUGE Notre Dame college football fan. He agreed to miss the 1st half of the game but insists we go somewhere for lunch to watch the 2nd half.
I cant get an ADR at ESPN club so this was the only place I could think of.
Please tell me there is a better alternative. I've heard the food is good. That's not really my issue. We'll be going back to Epcot after our -long- lunch. I'd just rather have somewhere closer to Epcot that also has good food.

Ok, the truth is, I'd rather have mediocre food and closer to Epcot.

Any suggestions?

Keep trying on the ADR for ESPN...

ESPN, is on the Boardwalk on the end of the complex, closest to Epcot... It's just a walk over the bridge, and down the path to the back gate of Epcot... Honestly I think that the food there is pretty good... DH and I have lunch there.... My go to is the bacon and blue wedge salad and I add chicken or shrimp, and that a perfect lunch for me... I also have had the Reuben pretty tasty and it was really, enough to split with the fries... DH likes the Classic burger, that's what he always orders... We have done walk ups when they first open and got a seat...

I would vote for seeing the 1st half of the game that way you can get out at half-time... then he can check what going on on-line for the second half... plus you will need to add in time travel to the parks... and you don't want to just be finishing up lunch, and heading into Food and wine on a full tummy...

We love college football and basketball... but with what it costs to go to a Disney theme park, I can't imagine leaving to watch a football game!

And I “can’t imagine” people taking a day out of a Disney vacation to shop in DS but people do it all of the time. Or those who take a day to hit the outlets. But to each their own.

Curious myself where to go outside of ESPN as that'll probably be way too packed. Be there 9/21

And I “can’t imagine” people taking a day out of a Disney vacation to shop in DS but people do it all of the time. Or those who take a day to hit the outlets. But to each their own.

Yup. In my case, I can't imagine going to look at different hotels. It's a hotel.

But people love doing it, and c'est la vie.

It is really a shame that some of the places in Epcot don't have TVs. I mean I know Rose and Crown for example doesn't want people lingering or super rowdy crowds but imagine watching some soccer in there?

Remind him that he is on vacation - that there is always another football game (WHY people want to go watch people run around with a ball is BEYOND ME!)

OR let HIM go off to watch the morons run around and you enjoy EPcot

Remind him that he is on vacation - that there is always another football game (WHY people want to go watch people run around with a ball is BEYOND ME!)

OR let HIM go off to watch the morons run around and you enjoy EPcot

Conversely: Why do people want to meet college kids dressed up as cartoon characters? It goes both ways. People like different stuff. Chill.

I don’t have recommendations for you, OP, but I totally get it. We are big sports fans, and if we’re ever there during an important game, I’d love to find a way to watch it. I see no harm in taking a break from park touring, or in letting your husband choose an activity he’d like to do. The vacation is for all members of the family and everyone should get to choose some things they’d like to do.

It is really a shame that some of the places in Epcot don't have TVs. I mean I know Rose and Crown for example doesn't want people lingering or super rowdy crowds but imagine watching some soccer in there?
Even if they only did it for the FA Cup final or the occasional early Saturday or Sunday morning match. Make it a paid event and the TV goes off once that match ended. That would something we would do.

I like your plan, but if you should change your mind...we had the best time watching the second half of an end of season NFL game (Go Bills!) at ESPN at the bar--I highly recommend. I'm sure there will be other fans there to cheer/commiserate with. We met everyone near us and had a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter