Please TIP, for goodness sake.

I think the issue is a lot of the websites say you dont have to tip the buses and only mention handling luggage. Tipping is not the norm in most countries and people probably know about restaurants and baggage handlers but that is it. Bar staff never get a tip in the uk. They may be 'bought a drink' by regulars if they work in a pub. But maybe people just do not know?

Where is this social contract I signed? I travel a ton for work and have travel a bunch personally even when I was a kid. I probably have had a single instance of tipping per vacation maybe like 1% of the time outside of restaurants/bars. I carry my own luggage, I don't use housekeeping (DND when I enter), and I don't ask for extra things.

So there is no pettiness about Disney forcing these situations where tipping is all but required. Its uncomfortable, I don't want that service typically, and its a negative on Disney to not be paying their CMs enough that they have rules against receiving tips.

I tip if it calls for it and I said as much in my post.

Also afford going on vacation has zero correlation to being able to afford or want to give in to all these optional I mean required tips.

It is not different. This whole needing to tip is based on Disney forcing you in to tipping situations. Instead of having bells carts where they are accessible they hide them away. If you just ask for the cart and not help you are now a bad guy because the only reason you are not taking help is to avoid tipping. Thus this situation Disney puts you in.

Exactly my point. There are plenty of things that Disney is the one basically putting service requirements on a certain step. I am fine if these service requirements are gratis but when a "optional" required tip then is involved its a tad much.

Really the primary location where I understand the tipping is restaurants. There is a personalized service that happens over a prolonged time.

I rationalize Lyft/Uber based on my "tip" being my actual payment for the ride and the baseline fee from "Lyfe/Uber" is like hiring a headhunter for recruiting a driver for me.

In the end I just think Disney should have a no tipping policy outside the restaurants and pay these people more. Heck Disney could even pay them per bag a flat rate fee.

Just to be clear, you don’t tip housekeeping at the end of your DND hotel stays?

Regarding luggage carts. I have been to many hotels that have luggage carts just sitting there for the taking. IMHO, when guests use these things they are much more prone to damaging hallway walls, doors, & door trim. Sometimes this is just carelessness, other times recklessness (kids giving each other rides), and in many cases just not understanding how the wheels operate (generally, one side fixed and the other side moves). By having bell services handle them this type of wear and tear is far more limited. As a result, Disney is controlling those trim & door repair and hallway painting costs. It also keeps the hotels looking well maintained and not so worn. Of course, those of us that get on a flight and have luggage going directly to our resort don’t worry anyways, as it shows up in our room often when we aren’t there (and, in that case I only tip bell services when I call for luggage pickup). I have no problem with people carrying their own bags to a room, they are used to how those wheels operate.

Just to be clear, you don’t tip housekeeping at the end of your DND hotel stays?

I do not as they are performing their most basic job and giving zero service to me. I pile the towels and stack and trash I may have had.

I view it the same as my car rental which I don't tip the Hertz guy either.

Regarding luggage carts. I have been to many hotels that have luggage carts just sitting there for the taking. IMHO, when guests use these things they are much more prone to damaging hallway walls, doors, & door trim. Sometimes this is just carelessness, other times recklessness (kids giving each other rides), and in many cases just not understanding how the wheels operate (generally, one side fixed and the other side moves). By having bell services handle them this type of wear and tear is far more limited. As a result, Disney is controlling those trim & door repair and hallway painting costs. It also keeps the hotels looking well maintained and not so worn. Of course, those of us that get on a flight and have luggage going directly to our resort don’t worry anyways, as it shows up in our room often when we aren’t there (and, in that case I only tip bell services when I call for luggage pickup). I have no problem with people carrying their own bags to a room, they are used to how those wheels operate.

I will look now as I travel but I don't really notice any issues from luggage carts at Hilton brand hotels. I have to say I don't look that closely but I am on the road like 100 nights a year so will see if I notice some trend now with placement of carts and wear in the hallways/doorways.

Then too, not all luggage carts are created equal. Some have far superior bumpers than others (perhaps the ones at Hilton?)

Another problem with luggage carts that I have observed first hand numerous times is that when guests use them they FREQUENTLY neglect to return them to the lobby. They just move them down the hallway a bit from their room door, maybe near the elevators if they’re up to it.

And then of course there is the “perception” of what being in a deluxe resort means - for me, it includes bell services and not schlepping a luggage cart around (or pushing one out of the way that some lame a** left in the hallway).

Could someone do the math (guess) on what a bus driver, house keeper, or buffet waiter/waitress would make per hour/day/shift if all guests tipped at the amounts "suggested" on this thread and others? I may want to switch careers. Does anyone have knowledge of how these employees share tips/tip out, etc.?

It's always been weird to tip ~20% at a Disney buffet to me. We are often hurried in and out in about an hour, and it appears our "Server" has at least 5 tables at a time. If the meal for a family of 4 is $160, everyone tipped 20% (I know they don't) and they take 5 tables every hour for 5 hours, that's a lot of tips. (And a lot of work, I know, I served for 3 years in college, as I believe everyone should at some point.) What I don't know is, (and why I do the 20% ish usually) is who they are sharing (if anyone) the money with. If the sweaty guy in a costume is getting some, it makes me feel better, or the person cleaning up (I'm sure they are), etc. It's not my place to personally judge what this person is worth (American economy as a whole already does this) who is serving at a buffet, but I know it's not equal to my doctor. I'm also not going to knowingly tip to a point they make what my Dr is, because it doesn't take the skill, knowledge, expertise, etc. Sadly, it's probably more than my children's public school teacher, etc. I would also argue the person is only marginally more skilled than a random local buffet waitress, who is making significantly less because they don't have Disney's artificially inflated food prices as a part of the 20% calculation of a tip. I have read many many many articles that Disney employees hardly make enough to survive. Is this more about ride operators and store/food cashiers? Or does this include servers. If so, what am I missing? I will continue to tip 15-20% and have faith in the system, and throw some extra for those that go above and beyond.

See I 100% don't get tipping housekeeping. Disney is the only place in the world that I have been that they force themselves in to your room daily. I have said this on the security change thread and that is when I get to a hotel I put the DND on the door and when I leave I take it off.

All my trash is in the trashcan or stacked next to it, all my towels are in a single pile in the bathroom, and there is nothing crazy going on inside the room.

I am pretty sure paying to have a clean room when I enter the resort is the basis of staying at the hotel (otherwise I wouldn't stay at that place again).

I have given tips directly to HK when they delivered a crib to the room or extra towels.

at least now at Disney you can opt out of housekeeping - so now do you not need to tip (although I did leave a bit at the end of our stay), Disney gives you a gift card for not having housekeeping

Could someone do the math (guess) on what a bus driver, house keeper, or buffet waiter/waitress would make per hour/day/shift if all guests tipped at the amounts "suggested" on this thread and others? I may want to switch careers. Does anyone have knowledge of how these employees share tips/tip out, etc.?

It's always been weird to tip ~20% at a Disney buffet to me. We are often hurried in and out in about an hour, and it appears our "Server" has at least 5 tables at a time. If the meal for a family of 4 is $160, everyone tipped 20% (I know they don't) and they take 5 tables every hour for 5 hours, that's a lot of tips. (And a lot of work, I know, I served for 3 years in college, as I believe everyone should at some point.) What I don't know is, (and why I do the 20% ish usually) is who they are sharing (if anyone) the money with. If the sweaty guy in a costume is getting some, it makes me feel better, or the person cleaning up (I'm sure they are), etc. It's not my place to personally judge what this person is worth (American economy as a whole already does this) who is serving at a buffet, but I know it's not equal to my doctor. I'm also not going to knowingly tip to a point they make what my Dr is, because it doesn't take the skill, knowledge, expertise, etc. Sadly, it's probably more than my children's public school teacher, etc. I would also argue the person is only marginally more skilled than a random local buffet waitress, who is making significantly less because they don't have Disney's artificially inflated food prices as a part of the 20% calculation of a tip. I have read many many many articles that Disney employees hardly make enough to survive. Is this more about ride operators and store/food cashiers? Or does this include servers. If so, what am I missing? I will continue to tip 15-20% and have faith in the system, and throw some extra for those that go above and beyond.
Average waitstaff at WDW make 62K per year according to my research (that includes tips). I’m sure it varies by location. I’ve engaged many of these folks in conversation over the years and I believe it’s a pretty good gig. Some I have talked to have been around 20+ years.

https://nationalpost.com/news/the-1...myth-some-hard-truths-about-tipping-in-canada
granted this is canada where in my province servers make 15$/hr which is the minimum wage.

another factor that can never be actually calculated is how much of these tips are being reported As income. Here it’s self reporting.

Comparatively a school teacher here has a starting salary of 59k and a 10 yr teacher has a salary of 94k. But the province is looking at potential salary rollbacks.

I haven't done it for any of those jobs but on a related note when someone in a thread about tipping for private VIP tours suggested tipping 20%, I ran the numbers for a tour guide giving a daily 7-hour tour for an average of $500 per hour and concluded that the tip income alone would equate to $162,400 per year, on top of whatever the guide's normal salary was. Certainly very generous.

I’m going to plead ignorance here, it honestly never dawned on me that I should. Are you guys tipping the bus drivers that drive you from the hotel to the parks?

This is an excellent point and now has me down a rabbit hole in my head. Why does one get tipped and not the other? I've NEVER seen anyone tip a regular bus driver. I frequently see ME drivers getting tipped. Sure, ME bus drivers touch your bag for 2 seconds. But I see park bus drivers assisting people with strollers and ECV's all the time. And before I get ripped apart -- I'm a tipper. I consider myself to be a generous person and I truly do value helping others. But when I think about who I do and do not tip, there's really not a ton of logic or consistency to it. Most is done out of habit, and honestly some is done out of guilt. Why tip housekeeping but not the park bus drivers? Ultimately, they're both already getting paid to do that job. Why the difference?

My understanding has always been that tipping is in place to supplement wages of below-minimum-wage workers. Ie. servers. or to reward work that is above and beyond. As a server, unless you do something blatantly rude, you're getting at least 20% from me. I tip my hairdresser. I tip people at the nail salon. I tip people who deliver to my house -- food, but not furniture. Why? I don't really know. Never really thought about it. Should I be tipping my furniture delivery people??

This is an excellent point and now has me down a rabbit hole in my head. Why does one get tipped and not the other? I've NEVER seen anyone tip a regular bus driver. I frequently see ME drivers getting tipped. Sure, ME bus drivers touch your bag for 2 seconds. But I see park bus drivers assisting people with strollers and ECV's all the time. And before I get ripped apart -- I'm a tipper. I consider myself to be a generous person and I truly do value helping others. But when I think about who I do and do not tip, there's really not a ton of logic or consistency to it. Most is done out of habit, and honestly some is done out of guilt. Why tip housekeeping but not the park bus drivers? Ultimately, they're both already getting paid to do that job. Why the difference?

My understanding has always been that tipping is in place to supplement wages of below-minimum-wage workers. Ie. servers. or to reward work that is above and beyond. As a server, unless you do something blatantly rude, you're getting at least 20% from me. I tip my hairdresser. I tip people at the nail salon. I tip people who deliver to my house -- food, but not furniture. Why? I don't really know. Never really thought about it. Should I be tipping my furniture delivery people??
An interesting point. I suspect it has something to do with furniture / appliance deliveries being such a high ticket expense that folks don’t generally think of tipping these folks after their large expense. Having said that, if I see extra care or installation that was above and beyond normal I have tipped these positions. Last summer I had a refrigerator delivered and I gave the guys $10 to go grab lunch (well, probably doesn’t cover lunch for 2 anymore...)

According to tipping advice and articles that I’ve read online, it is normal to tip for furniture delivery. Also the movers when you move.

According to tipping advice and articles that I’ve read online, it is normal to tip for furniture delivery. Also the movers when you move.

We always tip furniture deliveries if they come in the house and unpack it and/set it up. If they just drop it at the curb or something then no

And movers, same thing, if they come in and carry stuff out of the house then yes, if it was like a prepacked POD then no

As someone from the U.K., I understand that servers get a very low minimum wage and I always tip the expected amount when in the US. Can anyone confirm whether valets/ bellhops/ housekeepers are also on a reduced minimum wage like servers?

When it comes to visitors to the US, I think that when coming from Europe where tipping isn’t expected, people think it is unfair to have to tip someone for doing the job they are paid to do (and they don’t necessarily know that tipped positions may pay as little as $2 an hour). It can be very confusing when visiting the US, as you second guess every encounter whether or not you should have tipped. For example, you’re apparently supposed to tip on the Magical Express should they hand you your bags, but if you buy something in a store and the sales assistant packs your bags and hands them to you, no tip is expected?

They work hard and deserve it.

This bugs the hell out of me and to me shows someone who is not looking at the whole picture.

Go to a butcher or grocery store with a butcher? They work hard.

Go to the ER ever? They work hard.

Go to McDonald's? They work hard.

Have someone pick up your trash? They work hard.

Had to call the police? They work hard.

Sorry but this whole working hard so they deserve a tip is absurd. I just listed off a bunch of people and heck your trash collector you probably have never even said thank you to.

Back to another person's comment why do some people get tips and others not? Well to me it comes down to two simple things.

1- the company is cheap and learned they can pay less and shift blame to customers if the employee doesn't make enough
2- the tipper originally was trying to curry favor by paying off a person to give them special treatment (aka slipping a $20 to the hostess) over time it became an expectation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter