Podcast Cruise question

Plutes

Mouseketeer
Hey all!

As I've stated in previous posts, I'm a total cruise wimp. I'm terrified of the ocean and always swore I'd never join the crusing world. However, the pull of the podcast crew is just too great :flower3: , and I think DH & I are going to bite the bullet and join in...but I have a question...

When I went to the page to request a quote from DU, it asks if I want to include transfers....what do most of you do?? I really just want the easiest, most convenient way to get there, as it's a distinct possibility that I'll be rockin' on valium at that point, just to get me onboard. ;)

I'm a complete novice when it comes to cruising (obviously), so any help you can give would be great!!

TIA!

Hey all!

As I've stated in previous posts, I'm a total cruise wimp. I'm terrified of the ocean and always swore I'd never join the crusing world. However, the pull of the podcast crew is just too great :flower3: , and I think DH & I are going to bite the bullet and join in...but I have a question...

When I went to the page to request a quote from DU, it asks if I want to include transfers....what do most of you do?? I really just want the easiest, most convenient way to get there, as it's a distinct possibility that I'll be rockin' on valium at that point, just to get me onboard. ;)

I'm a complete novice when it comes to cruising (obviously), so any help you can give would be great!!

TIA!

Glad you are going to join! We didn't do transfers because I've read that it can be cheaper to find your own transportation.

On our last DCL cruise, we drove straight from Richmond, VA to the port. Nothing beats having your own car and being in control of the situation.

Glad you are going to join! We didn't do transfers because I've read that it can be cheaper to find your own transportation.

What did you decide on instead? Are you hiring a towncar? Oh, and I say now that we're going, but you never know - I may lose my nerve at any moment!! :eek: That's why I want to hurry up and book before the wimpy part of my brain takes over! ;)

Cyberbox, I know what you mean about having your own car there! I wish we were close enough to drive, but we'll be flying in to MCO instead. We did the drive once before, and DH swore never again lol

I declined the DCL transfers as it's so far out that I'm not sure whether we'll need to be picked up at the airport or WDW. As the date gets closer, a couple of us have talked about sharing a limo. So right now we are just going to "wait and see" (or should I say "sea"!).

Hi Amy,

From one Jersey girl to another, welcome. And don't be a wimp! If you can drive the NJTP, GSP and handle getting to and from the mall on Saturday, you can book this cruise! :rotfl2:

For me, the decision on taking transfers came down to what I'll be doing before and afer the crusie. Odds are I''ll be at WDW pre and post cruise. Having DCL pick me up at the resort and taking me back was a good deal. I've done two other DCL cruises where we rented a car at MCO and drove to the port the port the day before. We dropped the car off and took the rental car shuttle to the port. On return, we picked up the rental car and drove to MCO for the flight home. Really no biggie. I've never looked at the town car option.

Come on, join us. You know you want to! All the cool kids will be there!

(Love your avatar!)

Kathy :rotfl: You're right...mall traffic in Jersey is downright frightening. But, at least there are no sharks ready to come out and eat me while I'm all alone floating on a tiny piece of plywood in the middle of...NOTHING BUT TERRIFYING, SCARY, AMOEBA-LIVING, VILE OCEAN WATER!! (Did I mention that I'm a teensy, weensy bit nervous about this? :scared1: ) And, I'm a pisces...the only water I do is the heavily chlorinated pool that resides in my parents backyard...go figure! Oh well...anyway...

Are you guys saying that I could always add these transfers later on if we decided to? I can just go ahead and book the cruise now and do whatever else I need to later? I don't think we'll be spending any time in wdw before or after, as we usually take our big trip in the fall each year (not giving that up for anything!!!), so we would definitely be going directly from the airport.

Missed this part, before....Thank you!

Did you know that Bruce is my secret husband and love slave? He's just not aware of it, but it's true. I swear it is. ;)

Whhhhhaaaaaatttttt!!!!!!! He's been cheating on me!?!?!?!?!? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Kathy :rotfl: You're right...mall traffic in Jersey is downright frightening. But, at least there are no sharks ready to come out and eat me while I'm all alone floating on a tiny piece of plywood in the middle of...NOTHING BUT TERRIFYING, SCARY, AMOEBA-LIVING, VILE OCEAN WATER!! (Did I mention that I'm a teensy, weensy bit nervous about this? :scared1: ) And, I'm a pisces...the only water I do is the heavily chlorinated pool that resides in my parents backyard...go figure! Oh well...anyway...

I think the only dangers you could face on this cruise are:

-Falling into Mindy's cistern. But wait, Will could catch you!
-Too many moo-gee-toes
-Bawb and Kaht Kahm:moped:
-Shopping with Julie. There goes that shipboard credit!
-Absolutely enjoying it and book several others while on board.

For those of us in the NYC area, we could do a mini-practice cruise. We'll meet in lower Manhattan and ride the Staten Island Ferry a few times. To get the real effect we'll sneak in a thermos of moo-gee-toes wrapped in a brown paper bag to sip as we "cruise". Anyone game? :rotfl2:

I think the only dangers you could face on this cruise are:

-Falling into Mindy's cistern. But wait, Will could catch you!
-Too many moo-gee-toes
-Bawb and Kaht Kahm:moped:
-Shopping with Julie. There goes that shipboard credit!
-Absolutely enjoying it and book several others while on board.

For those of us in the NYC area, we could do a mini-practice cruise. We'll meet in lower Manhattan and ride the Staten Island Ferry a few times. To get the real effect we'll sneak in a thermos of moo-gee-toes wrapped in a brown paper bag to sip as we "cruise". Anyone game? :rotfl2:

That's it...you've done it!
I'm off to put in for my quote! :goodvibes Now, I just have to make sure I don't take too much of that valium and fall overboard...(how many more horror stories can I fill my head up with?!? :scared1: ) I guess it'll depend on how many of those moo-gee-toes I have!!

BTW, never been on that ferry...isn't that the one that crashed into the dock and killed a bunch of people in 2003?!? Told you...I do NOT do water! Can't we have a podcast 'tea' or something instead??? lol

What did you decide on instead? Are you hiring a towncar? Oh, and I say now that we're going, but you never know - I may lose my nerve at any moment!! :eek: That's why I want to hurry up and book before the wimpy part of my brain takes over! ;)

Cyberbox, I know what you mean about having your own car there! I wish we were close enough to drive, but we'll be flying in to MCO instead. We did the drive once before, and DH swore never again lol

We've talked about sharing a limo. If that doesn't work out, we'll hire a towncar. I'm not exactly thrilled about going on a cruise. But, DH would really like to. And, this sounds like so much fun. So, I'm going to give it a try.

Ok Amy....

You do realize that auto accidents outnumber cruise liner accidents 3 kabillion to one, right.

(and for those of you searching the internet to let me know it's only 1.7 kabillion to one....it's ok....I made the number up)

The reason you hear about these things is because they are so RARE!!!!!!

Come with us....you can wear your life jacket throughout the cruise. It will certainly make you easier to pick out of the crowd.:thumbsup2

Kevin

We've talked about sharing a limo. If that doesn't work out, we'll hire a towncar. I'm not exactly thrilled about going on a cruise. But, DH would really like to. And, this sounds like so much fun. So, I'm going to give it a try.

I'm kinda in the same boat (no pun intended! ;) ) That is, DH has always wanted to cruise, but has always relented to my fears. I have to admit - this is the first time that I've ever really been tempted to even THINK about it. Like you said, sounds like so much fun....I put in my request, so am just waiting it out now! We'll have to meet up and have a few of Bawb's favorite moo-gee-toes! I have a feeling I'll be needing several!! :)

I'm a big wimp too!! Well...I was...I am one of those people who is deathly afraid of water. My fear is ridiculous. I can't even put my face into the water in the shower! Have to use a washcloth to wash my face! So the thought of all that water freaked me out...

Until I took a cruise. I still have my fears about water on my head, but it doesn't stop me from cruising! We took a cruise last summer with Princess and it was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

If you are concerned about motion sickness, take dramamine at night when you go to bed. Start it a night or two before the cruise to make sure that you know it's effect and that it's in your system before the cruise. I started mine two nights before our cruise and either the seas were really calm or those pills were magic! (I think it was a combination of both!)

Take the plunge! (hehehe) Book the cruise! You won't regret it!! And I think that there will be enough activity with the Pod Squad to keep you distracted anyway!!

(I really want to join you guys, but I can't right now...crossing my fingers that I win one of Pete's coveted cabins from his allotment!)

We've elected to do the transfers with DCL. We will be at one of the WDW DVC resorts before and after the cruise, so taking the DCL motor coach made sense to us.

Ok Amy....

You do realize that auto accidents outnumber cruise liner accidents 3 kabillion to one, right.

(and for those of you searching the internet to let me know it's only 1.7 kabillion to one....it's ok....I made the number up)

The reason you hear about these things is because they are so RARE!!!!!!

Come with us....you can wear your life jacket throughout the cruise. It will certainly make you easier to pick out of the crowd.:thumbsup2

Kevin

Yes, but between the dates of 5/10/09 - 5/14/09, I won't be in an automobile - I'll be on that damn boat, in the middle of darkness, with nowhere to go....OMG, I need to stop now...really! :scared1:

Oh, and if you think, for one minute, that I wasn't already planning the life jacket thing...lol! If my life jacket fails me, I'm sure I'll be easily identifiable anyway. I'll be the screaming, raving lunatic running up and down the decks, begging someone to copter me outta there...

BUT, I took the first step toward cruise-ship-phobia recovery and put in my request, so let's all keep our fingers crossed for me, shall we? Please, oh please, oh please...(Here's where the sleepless nights start...how long until May 2009??? Wait...please don't tell me!)

Okay, now that was just cruel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

lol
Sorry...couldn't resist...lol :rotfl:

I promise...there is soooooooooo much to do on board that you won't even realize you are at sea! It's amazing to know that you don't have to be anywhere unless you want to be! One of my favorite places on the ship that DH and I sailed on were on the Promenade deck in a chair by the railing. Although I'm afraid of the water, I was fascinated watching the waves that were created as the ship sailed. There was an adults only pool at the back of the ship (Caribbean Princess, not sure how Disney's ships are set up) and it was awesome to grab a lounge chair back there and just watch the water behind us. I'd sit up there for hours with my iPod and a book...

I want to do it again!!!! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter