podcast listening options for the car...

miss missy

Is this the Dis Board Desperate Housewives?!
how many podcasts will fit on a cd?
I want to burn one for the car... no iPod hookup there :( but I want to listen while I commute to work. How much can a CD hold?

I know I can but an iPod adapter for the car radio, I have seen them for 50-90 bucks, but they play through FM and that seems cheesy to me, I dont want fade outs.

So how many can a CD hold?

how many podcasts will fit on a cd?
I want to burn one for the car... no iPod hookup there :( but I want to listen while I commute to work. How much can a CD hold?

I know I can but an iPod adapter for the car radio, I have seen them for 50-90 bucks, but they play through FM and that seems cheesy to me, I dont want fade outs.

So how many can a CD hold?

Get a cassette tape adapter for $10-$20. I use it when I'm too chicken to use headphones in the car... Don't bother burning CDs unless you don't have a tape deck...

The FM adapter requires changing stations every 20-30 miles...I hate that thing...

To play a CD in virtually any car audio system, you would probably have to burn an audio CD so you would be limited to 60 to 80 minutes per CD and in some cars an 80 minute CD might not be compatible (my knowledge is to rusty to say for sure).

This weeks podcast was 89 minutes (plus) and you'd be hard pressed to fit it on 1 audio CD. The e-mail show was 64 minutes - that would be easier.

I enjoy it tremendously in the car so I can empathize with you.

Another option is ...

If your car has an AUX hook up, get a cable that has a headphone jack at one end and RCA plug on the other and plug you iPod in. I run the cable from the iPod headphone jack (I keep it in my center console), down the side of the console, under the back floor mat and up to the AUX plug in the back. Change the stereo to AUX and you are all set. The sound is beautiful and the cable is well hidden so it does not look like a mess.

--Daneen

The FM adapter requires changing stations every 20-30 miles...I hate that thing...

Y'know, I wish we had talked about this 2 days ago...BEFORE I bought the stupid FM adapter! It's driving me crazy!

I'm guilty of having to have my DS burn the podcast onto cd's for me. :sad2: He always has to use "2" cd's. Ok, now my reason for him doing the cd's for me is that I am electronically inept. :confused3 I have no idea how to use an Ipod. :laughing: How embarrasing. DS has promised to show me how but the problem is he gets impatient. I love technology, I just need someone with patience to show me how to work it. :rotfl:

I've a Belkin FM transmitter as there is no hook-up on the in car cd/radio.
Whilst obviously there is no menu system and you can't use the in-car controls to shift tracks, pause etc I've been pleased with it.
Very seldom have I ever had to change from one of the programmed frequencies and it is a cheap option to be able to listen to your iPod in the car.

Whilst obviously there is no menu system and you can't use the in-car controls to shift tracks, pause etc I've been pleased with it.
Very seldom have I ever had to change from one of the programmed frequencies and it is a cheap option to be able to listen to your iPod in the car.

1) Dontcha just love the way the across-the-ponders talk? :) It's purty.
2) I think it's more of a problem in the US. We have so many stations on similar frequencies a mere 2 hr drive apart. Just depends on your geography and driving habits, I guess.

They also sell (rather expensive but high audio quality) cables that can be installed to use an auxiliary input (not on the dashboard) for many vehicles. Costly and needs professional installation, but another choice for some...

I have the FM adapter for my iPod (can't remember what brand). I can certainly go more then 20 mile before I have to switch station. I drove from New Brunswick to Atlantic City the other weekend. I was just about to AC, close to 100 miles, before I had to switch. I also used it on a 2 week sailing trip back during the holidays. It was so much easier bringing the iPod then CDs.

The version that I have allows me to program the signals. So far it seems to use the same two. What I actually did was program the two stations in my truck's radio. It's easier switching stations from the steering wheel then trying to find the cord while driving. I love it.

2) I think it's more of a problem in the US. We have so many stations on similar frequencies a mere 2 hr drive apart. Just depends on your geography and driving habits, I guess.
You are probably right ;) I programmed in 4 frequencies in the Belkin. Then saved these 4 empty frequencies on the car radio. That way it was easy to change to M3 on Belkin and radio :thumbsup2
For most commutes they work find.
I think on our 1,400 mile trip to Disneyland Paris I had to find 1 other frequency :)

I can tell you from experience, it really depends on the area in which you live. I tried two different FM transmitters, both with programmable frequencies, and there just is too much bandwidth used here in the SF Bay Area. There was not one frequency I could find that would even last my entire drive to work (12 miles) without interruption.

I would suggest that before anyone purchase one, you ask around to see if anyone else in your area is using it with success. If you cannot find anyone, the sales folks at your local Apple Store, if you have one, could probably give you anecdotal information as well. That is where I finally started asking for help, after my purchase.

--Daneen

I had the small Belkin that costs around $20. It was miserable to use in my area. None of the 4 pre-set stations were fuzz here so it was very hard to get a station. If you live in an area with lots of stations, beware of this one.

My husband and I were trying to listen to a podcast on a 2 hour drive. I ended up turning it off. He was so annoyed that we went straight to the Best Buy in the town we were visiting.

I have an I-POD Touch. We bought one called the Road Trip. It was around $80, but it is great. Even when driving for a distance, it is very easy to change stations. The controls are right there for both the transmitter and my IPOD.

Setting up an auxiliary in my car would have been about $300 with my husband doing the work. It also required getting into the dashboard. The good news is most new vehicles come with them.

Monster has iPod adapters for like $20. No need to pay $50 to $70 dollars. Just Google iPod FM adapters and look for Monster. I usually find a station really high or very low on the FM dial and it works great!!

It also charges the iPod which is also very handy!

I originally bought an FM adaptor and found it difficult to find a frequency to use. The one advantage this unit has is that it will also charge the iPod.

I now use a cassette adaptor to play the iPod through the speaker system in my van. This has worked out great and was very inexpensive (under $20).

I still keep the FM adaptor around for longer trips....I'll still play the iPod through the cassette adaptor, but also plug it into the FM unit to keep it charged. I guess that helps justify the $70 or so I spent on the silly FM unit in the first place. ::MinnieMo

Thanks! Lots of great into here... I will reseaarch more.

Another, "low tech" option is the portable speakers they sell for the iPOD/MP3 players. Here's a link to what I'm talking about

http://www.supermediastore.com/ipod-accessory-portable-folding-speaker-white.html?WT.mc_id=cjtext

I've got one of these and used it in the car, prior to getting a new car with the auxillary jack (which is awesome). The speakers use 3 or 4 triple A batteries and last a pretty good amount of time. Plus, you can use it around the house instead of headphones. The prices on these drop to like 6.99 every now and then so check sites like www.bensbargains.net or the like (there are a number of "deal" sites) and you'll probably find a number of different solutions.

I have had 3 FM transmitters - with varying results. The newer ones seem worse for reception than the first one, especially as I pass through the heavier trucking areas. I do have separate speakers which I will use in the car sometimes - just easier. Especially if I need to charge the cell phone too - I only have one outlet in the car. Usually the car is the one place I can listen for the longest amount of time in one run - and even then it is both to and from work before I hear the whole thing.

Donna

Another, "low tech" option is the portable speakers they sell for the iPOD/MP3 players. Here's a link to what I'm talking about

http://www.supermediastore.com/ipod-accessory-portable-folding-speaker-white.html?WT.mc_id=cjtext

I've got one of these and used it in the car, prior to getting a new car with the auxillary jack (which is awesome). The speakers use 3 or 4 triple A batteries and last a pretty good amount of time. Plus, you can use it around the house instead of headphones. The prices on these drop to like 6.99 every now and then so check sites like www.bensbargains.net or the like (there are a number of "deal" sites) and you'll probably find a number of different solutions.

Hmmm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter