Politics on the Podcast

Well you got to admit, Pete's discussion on the finger scanning issue does stop and make you go Hmmmmm? No matter what political leanings you may have, it's a very thought provoking issue and Pete is well informed about it.
I agree :thumbsup2 And the only thing I was yelling at my Ipod, Kevin (thankfully) ended up bringing up - at the end of the day, the whole fingerprint scanning "thing" is really just about protecting Disney's bank book which really irks me anyway. So I didn't mind Pete's rant on this. Regardless of the reason you don't want to scan your finger, if you BOUGHT the ticket, you should get to choose what you do with it. The money is already in their pockets. :duck:

Good grief! :rolleyes: I must be listening to a different version of the podcast because I didn't think it was any big deal. I don't always agree with everything they say, but if everybody agreed the world would be a pretty dull place.

If the Pete and the Gang can't just relax and be themselves it wouldn't be the same show. Think about it.

i honestly didn't see anything wrong with the rant...I took the rant as a "go vote" and not a "go vote for person X"

but then again I am also grew up in MA which maybe even more blue state than NJ.

I think the OP was referring to my rant in the email show. Someone called me 'crotchety and paranoid' due to my feelings on the whole finger scanning thing and I kinda went off a little. In all honesty, I broke my own rules by doing it. I'm constantly reminding the team (both on the show, and on the site), that our purpose is to help people plan the best vacation they can - that we give people the information they need to make informed decisions about a very expensive investment. That needs to be the filter by which everything we say and write is put thru. This issue really doesn't meet that lithmus test :)

Pete

Oh, you just know this will be part of next week's housekeeping.popcorn::

I agree :thumbsup2 And the only thing I was yelling at my Ipod, Kevin (thankfully) ended up bringing up - at the end of the day, the whole fingerprint scanning "thing" is really just about protecting Disney's bank book which really irks me anyway. So I didn't mind Pete's rant on this. Regardless of the reason you don't want to scan your finger, if you BOUGHT the ticket, you should get to choose what you do with it. The money is already in their pockets. :duck:

I totally agree with Pete and Kev's view on the whole fingerprint scanning situation.

I'd like to know more about just showing your drivers license as a form of ID to get in the park. Can I just walk to the turnstile and tell them I opt out of biometric scanning and use another form of ID?

If everybody started doing that, maybe it would force Disney to re-think their methods.

Oh Pete, now I understand why you refuse to let Bob have his two minutes on each show to debate or express his views on issues of the day being he is a viable candidate for President of the United States!

If you allowed this, it would be in violation of your "filter policy" of keeping each Podcast Disney related, excluding all personal views.

I suspect there are other reasons, but this is certainly justifiable.:rotfl: :rotfl:

Dennis-

Hey, I'm a right-winger and I agree whole heartedly with Pete on the "identity stealer" (as Kevin has been known to call it). There is no reason Disney can't just ask for a photo ID of some sort. John was right, this is not in place to protect us; it's been put in place to protect Mickey's wallet.

I just wanted to tell Pete I appreciate his original post in this thread. I think the reason it "just came out" is because he felt attacked by the original e-mailer. I don't think it was right of the original e-mailer to call the podcast team names, in trying to make their point.

While I don't share Pete's view on this matter, I appreciate his right to have an opinion, and I furthermore, appreciate his desire to try and keep his political views out of the podcast in the future, for the enjoyment of all the listeners.

I'd like to know more about just showing your drivers license as a form of ID to get in the park. Can I just walk to the turnstile and tell them I opt out of biometric scanning and use another form of ID?

Yes. You can show your Photo ID (Driver's license worked for me, passport probably would, too; wouldn't try your Sam's card...) and opt out. This worked for me.

I would encourage you to have the ID out and ready so the people in line behind you don't have to wait.

Have to agree with OP. Also how many times they get things wrong. Like the length of the Disney ships (longer than Empire state building is high. Ship is less than 1000 feet to go through the canal, Empire 1250 feet.) Which deck you can jog around (4 not 5)

Keep to Disney stuff and make it accurate. If not sure find out first to be sure.

I think I'm going to start using the ID option as my entire family is "scanner challenged" and it seems as though we can never make it thru the turnstiles without some kind of problem. I really think the whole process is just for show anyway. Disney wants to intimidate people into thinking there's no way the tickets can be transferable. I think that once you shell out your hard-earned bucks for the tickets, you should be able to do whatever you want with them. Overall, most of what Disney does is a cat and mouse game with them trying to outsmart their guests.

Have to agree with OP. Also how many times they get things wrong. Like the length of the Disney ships (longer than Empire state building is high. Ship is less than 1000 feet to go through the canal, Empire 1250 feet.) Which deck you can jog around (4 not 5)

Keep to Disney stuff and make it accurate. If not sure find out first to be sure.

just heard the email show last night, now i fully understand although I agree with your point of view Pete I can see why others may be upset and why you would want to leave this out of the podcast.

As far as the poster above who is arguing semantics about the empire state building size vs the cruise ship size you missed the point. His point was that the ship is a lot larger than some people realize and that it is not like being on a lobster boat where you would feel every wave. Also if you are going to argue about getting facts straight then you should know that the ESB is actually 1453 ft to the rod at the top and not 1250...

Here's my rant: please stop taking everything the podcast crew says and try to pick it apart to prove them wrong. They are doing this to entertain and to educate. However, there is no test you need to take so if they are a tiny bit foggy on a small detail give them a pass it's not a matter of national security. Do you really think someone is going to show up on the day of the cruise and say "well this thing is clearly not quite as big as the empire state building so I want a refund"?

Thanks again guys for a great podcast I really appreciate everything you guys do and for the one or two minor things you get wrong there are literally hundreds of things you have done to help enhance my vacation experience...I will now get down from my soapbox.

just heard the email show last night, now i fully understand although I agree with your point of view Pete I can see why others may be upset and why you would want to leave this out of the podcast.

As far as the poster above who is arguing semantics about the empire state building size vs the cruise ship size you missed the point. His point was that the ship is a lot larger than some people realize and that it is not like being on a lobster boat where you would feel every wave. Also if you are going to argue about getting facts straight then you should know that the ESB is actually 1453 ft to the rod at the top and not 1250...

Here's my rant: please stop taking everything the podcast crew says and try to pick it apart to prove them wrong. They are doing this to entertain and to educate. However, there is no test you need to take so if they are a tiny bit foggy on a small detail give them a pass it's not a matter of national security. Do you really think someone is going to show up on the day of the cruise and say "well this thing is clearly not quite as big as the empire state building so I want a refund"?

Thanks again guys for a great podcast I really appreciate everything you guys do and for the one or two minor things you get wrong there are literally hundreds of things you have done to help enhance my vacation experience...I will now get down from my soapbox.

DITTO and Amen!

Some are missing the point. The people on the DIS are looked at as experts on Disney. Did not mean to get into a "mine is bigger than yours" discussion. The hosts do an great job at what they do. They give a lot of good advice.

Some are missing the point. The people on the DIS are looked at as experts on Disney. Did not mean to get into a "mine is bigger than yours" discussion. The hosts do an great job at what they do. They give a lot of good advice.

Yes, we are experts on Disney - but we're also human and can make mistakes. If you listen to the show you know that whenever a factual error is brought to our attention, we make a point of issuing a correction in the next show.

If your standard for us is perfection, I'm afraid you'll continue to be disappointed in our performance.

Pete

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter