• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poll- Your Pet peeves

I think this thread is pure gold! My husband and I are pretty laid back. We tend to be the type of people that try to let go of the little things, but what get's to us is lack of courtesy and people that are rude/obnoxious.

The ipad thing is hard not to get upset over. You have people behind you that you block when doing this. Do people not comprehend this or is it that they just don't care? Lack of courtesy/obnoxious category. It's like with the selfie stick at the theme parks. Thank God they are no longer allowed! It used to drive me crazy how common sense was lost on most of the people handling them. Not only are they a safety concern ( we actually got hit by them several times), while people are trying to capture the perfect photo they are either ruining someone else's photo or line of vision. Obnoxious to the highest level. :headache:

People thinking they are above everyone including CM's and expect to be treated like royalty above everyone else because "they paid a lot of money", guess what? So did everyone else on the ship. That still does not justify you being rude or disrespectful to others or think you are above the CM's who work insanely hard to keep everyone happy.

The other thing would be elevator etiquette as others also mentioned. I can not use the stairs due to arthritis. I try if we are only going up or down a floor, but sometimes it is too painful. We all know that waiting for the elevators in the evening is a bit hectic. Waiting for more than 5 minutes to have someone just swoop in out of nowhere o_O

I don't mind the constant sanitizing, especially on a boat where it would be fairly easy to get sick. No one wants to be stuck in a stateroom and not allowed out. The constant sanitizing helps everyone on the ship avoid illness :thanks::flower::flower::flower:

I have little to no cartilage in my left knee and my orthopedic doctor has warned me not to use stairs or I will need a knee replacement in my 30's.
I use the elevator and make no apologies for it.

I don't walk with a limp, so how would you be able to tell?

Just curious.

Or the people who have lung and/or heart issues but don't have to drag an oxygen tank around? How would someone know that just from looking at them?

Sorry, but unless it says CHILDREN'S trivia, anyone participating has the right to play to win. (And I say this not as someone who gives a rat's patootie about trivia but as someone who believes we do children a disservice by letting them win all the time. Because life will not let them win all the time.)

I want to single you out, Beth, to say that my teenaged sons agree with you completely on this, and have since they were little. Whether it was Parent/child baseball/basketball games at the end of the little league season or indoor soccer with the parents at scouts, they want to play with the adults and compete with them at full speed. If you can beat them, fine. They don't mind. It is a game. But watch out, because they will play their best too. We did several competition type things on our recent cruise and they didn't expect (or get) any special treatment.

To Rabb it's point, I don't like it when anyone gets so caught up in "winning" these things that they are rude or mean to other participants, especially in something as laid back as a cruise ship.

Of course, maybe I'm not the right person to ask about competing with children. Tonight my two sons and 20 of their teen-aged friends are going to a Laser Tag place (it is open to all ages), and I will be right in there with them trying to hold my own. I've been doing this a lot longer than they have, so I usually do pretty well, but I know that my younger son will be a the top of the leader board for most rounds, as usual. Nobody there will be "going easy" on him. If anything, I'll suggest they target him specifically, but it never has helped keep him off the top spot so far. :)

I want to single you out, Beth, to say that my teenaged sons agree with you completely on this, and have since they were little. Whether it was Parent/child baseball/basketball games at the end of the little league season or indoor soccer with the parents at scouts, they want to play with the adults and compete with them at full speed. If you can beat them, fine. They don't mind. It is a game. But watch out, because they will play their best too. We did several competition type things on our recent cruise and they didn't expect (or get) any special treatment.

To Rabb it's point, I don't like it when anyone gets so caught up in "winning" these things that they are rude or mean to other participants, especially in something as laid back as a cruise ship.

Of course, maybe I'm not the right person to ask about competing with children. Tonight my two sons and 20 of their teen-aged friends are going to a Laser Tag place (it is open to all ages), and I will be right in there with them trying to hold my own. I've been doing this a lot longer than they have, so I usually do pretty well, but I know that my younger son will be a the top of the leader board for most rounds, as usual. Nobody there will be "going easy" on him. If anything, I'll suggest they target him specifically, but it never has helped keep him off the top spot so far. :)

I completely agree that ANYONE - no matter what age - being rude or mean is not acceptable. IMHO answering questions - especially if it is timed - is not being rude or mean.

People who eat on line while they're still going through the buffet.
People who push into the elevator before letting people out.
People/families who take 10 combinations of photos with the characters.
People who save seats in the theaters.
Parents who think it's okay to bring their child in diapers in the pool!
CMs who don't enforce rules for fear of ticking off paying cruisers!
Dining staff pressuring you for the "excellent" ratings.
People taking photos/videos in the theater (or anywhere) where they are specifically asked NOT to.

iPads don't bother me. They just look stupid.
Hand sanitizer doesn't bother me either but no one in my family has an allergy/reaction to it.
We always get to the theaters, parties, pool, etc. VERY early so never have issues with seats, people in front of us.
Most of my pet peeves are just rude people but I wouldn't let them ruin my cruise.

People who push into the elevator before letting people out.

I saw the most egregious example of this one this past week where some guy tried to barrel into the elevator while people were getting off, so instead of saying 'excuse me' and stepping back to allow the people off, he kept right on going, even knocked a package out of someone's arms in doing so. This just seems common sense to me, how can people get off if you're trying to push your way on? Unreal.

(Oh and this was in an office building, not aboard ship)

My pet peeves:

1. I wish everyone dressed up for formal night or if one of the dining rooms could be formal wear only for that one night. Really this is silly, but I would love to be in a room full of people all dressed up again!
2. That I get too full to try all of the food that I want to while on board.
3. People that let my kids win just because they are kids. My girls want to win because they earned it. I want them to learn to win with compassion and learn to lose gracefully.

I have little to no cartilage in my left knee and my orthopedic doctor has warned me not to use stairs or I will need a knee replacement in my 30's.
I use the elevator and make no apologies for it.

I don't walk with a limp, so how would you be able to tell?

Just curious.
I wouldn't but the percentage of disabled people on any cruise is going to be pretty small. The percentage of people on a cruise that take the elevator up and down one or two flights of stairs is really high. This is a pet peeve thread. I don't have to share my reason this is a pet peeve. Things that bother some people aren't going to bother me. If people are going to be judgmental over someone else's pet peeve the thread has no purpose. We all have our reasons certain things bother us so I'll just leave it at that. People not dressing up bothers pp. How do you know certain people don't have some medical reason they can't dress up. You could just go on and on with that theme.

Last edited:
I wouldn't but the percentage of disabled people on any cruise is going to be pretty small. The percentage of people on a cruise that take the elevator up and down one or two flights of stairs is really high. This is a pet peeve thread. I don't have to share my reason this is a pet peeve. Things that bother some people aren't going to bother me. If people are going to be judgmental of over someone else's pet peeve. The thread has no purpose. We all have our reasons certain things bother us so I'll just leave it at that. People not dressing up bothers pp. How do you know certain people don't have some medical reason they can't dress up. You could just go on and on with that theme.

The elevator thing is a hard one though because you never know if someone is recovering from some sort of injury, or recently had surgery, or a myriad of other things. I guess what you're saying is, for those that are fully healthy, take the stairs for just a flight, and that makes sense. The problem is we just don't know.

The elevator thing is a hard one though because you never know if someone is recovering from some sort of injury, or recently had surgery, or a myriad of other things. I guess what you're saying is, for those that are fully healthy, take the stairs for just a flight, and that makes sense. The problem is we just don't know.
Like I said it's my pet peeve. I don't have to justify it. I just have zero tolerance for laziness. I have other things that bother me, but they would get people even more mad then the elevators so I'll just keep them to myself.

Like I said it's my pet peeve. I don't have to justify it. I just have zero tolerance for laziness. I have other things that bother me, but they would get people even more mad then the elevators so I'll just keep them to myself.

Laziness abound these days that's for sure. This is an air your grievances thread so you should feel free to lay them out here.

Laziness abound these days that's for sure. This is an air your grievances thread so you should feel free to lay them out here.
Ok then. Parents that let their kids drink sugary sodas all day. Most of the kids I see doing this are overweight. I have a feeling they do this at home too. Can you tell I work in healthcare? Yeah I'll admit I get really irritated by Americans and their unhealthy habits.

I had a foot injury recently. God willing, it will Not stop me from going on the cruise. I will take the elevator for more than one flight of stairs.

Oh, yeah, pet peeve is people saying "you've lost weight or you look too skinny". No I haven't and that's YOUR opinion!

Adults that don't make room for children to see the show. ....
Had one guy with a video camera on a tall tripod standing up front middle the entire time.
Yes! Adults: make room for the little ones!
tripods and their owners in the middle of crowded kids venues/shows

Pretty sure this has been said, but people that wait until the last minute to get to a show and then expect for their kids to push past people (or people who bothered to get there early to move for them).

If you want a prime spot, get there early.

(And to note: this applies to the parks and any other parades as well.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter