Poll- Your Pet peeves

People throwing a towel on the hammock at Serenity Bay, then spending most of the day in the water or by the shoreline. Happened last trip and I finally moved the towel, but couldn't enjoy myself, afraid they would come up and say something. I laid there for only a few minutes.

I wish there was some way to put a timer on those things.

My pet peeve is rude people. This was our first cruise and some of the people on the cruise were really rude!

Pretty sure this has been said, but people that wait until the last minute to get to a show and then expect for their kids to push past people (or people who bothered to get there early to move for them).

If you want a prime spot, get there early.

(And to note: this applies to the parks and any other parades as well.)

This happen to me but it was a family with a child who was handicapped and I didn't mind though my baby girl.was a little sad.

This has been an interesting read. I'm mainly commenting so that I'm subscribed, but this thread has been a good reminder to keep our upcoming cruise in perspective. My biggest pet peeve is inconsideration of others; but, all I can control is my own behavior and that of my children, so that's all I'll worry about when we're on board.

I am very quick to say "excuse me", even when I may not be entirely in the wrong. So if, for example, I am about to walk through the door at the same time as someone coming through the opposite way, I would likely step aside to allow the other person to go through and say "excuse me". When they do not also say "excuse me" it frustrates me! I may be guilty of passive aggressively saying "and excuse you too" if it's really rude. :blush:

Pretty sure this has been said, but people that wait until the last minute to get to a show and then expect for their kids to push past people (or people who bothered to get there early to move for them).

If you want a prime spot, get there early.

(And to note: this applies to the parks and any other parades as well.)
Completely agree with this. I'm short so I know if I want to be able to see what's going on I get there early. If you want your child to be at the front, get there early so you are not pushing in front of people already there. Luckily I've seen all I want to on DCL so now only turn up for the fireworks (and get a good spot for them), and we don't do parades at the park so this isn't as much of an issue anymore.

My pet peeves are:
Elevators - people pushing in before others can get off; people pushing in front of others who have been waiting there longer; basically rude elevator people (I don't use them often, but the majority of the time at least one of these happen).
Kids running up & down the hall past my cabin late at night/early morning, often shouting at others. I would never let my kids do that, there is no need to run.
Kids sitting and playing on the stairs and not moving out of the way, making it an obstacle course.
Talking in shows - commenting on everything or planning what your are going to do next.
Rude people in general - a bit of politeness goes a long way and never hurts anyone.

Yes! I commented on this thread THREE years ago about people talking in the show and said: If you open your mouth, we can hear you. None of us around you want to hear your comments on the show or hear your conversation about your plans. You may think you are whispering, or not. Again, if you open your mouth, we can hear you and we don't want to hear you!!!
Talking in shows - commenting on everything or planning what your are going to do next.
Rude people in general - a bit of politeness goes a long way and never hurts anyone.

Our March cruise was the first time we weren't right by the entrance from the elevator bay. I don't know what subliminal message is present in those hallways, but keeping dd from running was work! I tried my best, but there were a couple times that she did run. Luckily it was the middle of the afternoon but still.

It's still not a good behavior, but I do have a little more sympathy for how the situation can get away from parents.

Last edited:
I expect it's not the running down the hallway, but the thudding down the hallway. A person can run quietly, or make sure every foot connect makes as much noise as possible.

Our March cruise was the first time we weren't right by the entrance from the elevator bay. I don't know what subliminal message is present in this evening hallways, but keeping dd from running was work! I tried my best, but there were a couple times that she did run. Luckily it was the middle of the afternoon but still.

It's still not a good behavior, but I do have a little more sympathy for how the situation can get away from parents.
Yes there can be times that young kids can "escape" their parents :). My issue is with the late night (esp after 11pm) running or early morning (before 8am but esp before 7am) running which is usually accompanied by shouting (usually "hurry up"). It's not often that the little kids that are the elephants, it's generally the school aged ones. And with them there's also more risk of being run into.

Our March cruise was the first time we weren't right by the entrance from the elevator bay. I don't know what subliminal message is present in those hallways, but keeping dd from running was work! I tried my best, but there were a couple times that she did run. Luckily it was the middle of the afternoon but still.

Mid-afternoon - Otherwise known as prime nap time... Except I've completely given up on that on Disney cruises due to the kids running in the hallways. I have to say that is something I haven't encountered on my Royal and even Carnival cruises!

Not sure if anyone shared thus, bit it really irritates me when kids/parents remove our door decor. They don't just take it and keep it, but the have nerve enough to decorate their stateroom door with my decorations! Very disrespectful.

Yes! I commented on this thread THREE years ago about people talking in the show and said: If you open your mouth, we can hear you. None of us around you want to hear your comments on the show or hear your conversation about your plans. You may think you are whispering, or not. Again, if you open your mouth, we can hear you and we don't want to hear you!!!

OMG -- they never seem to know how to whisper, but instead talk like they're in a coffee shop socializing. We have the same experience in movie theaters -- why pay all that money for a movie ticket if you are going to just sit there and play catch up in conversation! UGH

Yes there can be times that young kids can "escape" their parents :). My issue is with the late night (esp after 11pm) running or early morning (before 8am but esp before 7am) running which is usually accompanied by shouting (usually "hurry up"). It's not often that the little kids that are the elephants, it's generally the school aged ones. And with them there's also more risk of being run into.

This has always been a huge pet peeve for us. Not only the running at unacceptable hours, but sometimes hitting their fists on your door as they go by and shouting up and down the hall. The worst -- when the parents are part of it - coming back late at night from who knows where and shouting back and forth to their kids as they walk to their room! Unbelievable.

Not sure if anyone shared thus, bit it really irritates me when kids/parents remove our door decor. They don't just take it and keep it, but the have nerve enough to decorate their stateroom door with my decorations! Very disrespectful.

We stopped decorating our door after the last time -- when one morning we came back from breakfast and an hour later went to leave the cabin and every single door magnet was gone! My daughter thought we had packed them already. The room steward helped us look and we found them down the hall -- all the way down the hall -- spread all around on other people's doors. I never did find all of them. Now we only decorate the inside of our door for our pleasure!

I'm pretty much a live and let live kind of a person, though the purloining of my door magnets on our last sailing really irritated me as well.

What really makes me give you the WTH look is when I arrive early to an event with open seating (this is DCL or otherwise) and we park ourselves in a particular point in a row. Do not ask me to move so you can squeeze your large group in. Sometimes I WANT to be in the middle of the row. Yes, there are seats on either side of us. Go head and fill them in! But please do not ask me to move all the way to the end so you all can sit in a row, in the seat I chose long before you arrived.

Especially if you all are the type that have to get up in the middle of the show to visit the facilities, concessions, etc. [shade thrown]

Last edited:
I'm pretty much a live and let live kind of a person, though the purloining of my door magnets on our last sailing really irritated me as well.

What really makes me give you the WTH look is when I arrive early to an event with open seating (this is DCL or otherwise) and we park ourselves in a particular point in a row. Do not ask me to move so you can squeeze your large group in. Sometimes I WANT to be in the middle of the row. Yes, there are seats on either side of us. Go head and fill them in! But please do not as me to move all the way to the end so you all can sit in a row, in the seat I chose long before you arrived.

Especially if you all are the type that have to get up in the middle of the show to visit the facilities, concessions, etc. [shade thrown]

Yes, we had this happen once and I firmly refused. We got there early to get mid-row seating! That's why I love the movie theaters now that let you pre-pick your seats!

Funny/odd story, we were in a movie theater once -- just the three of us -- and one other couple way down in front. We always sit in the back row. Literally, the whole theater was empty. Just as the previews start, here comes this guy with two women, up to our back row and down the row. We looked at each other and thought -- surely not. YEP, they sat right next to me -- while the rest of the row was empty. (this is before pre-seat options). I looked over at them and asked them to politelly move down as there was no need to be on top of me when the whole row was available. They seemed surprised - and we all wondered later what their intentions were! A full theater is one thing, but that was just weird.

We decorated our door, but one day, I came back and found a strange magnet on our door. It wasn't ours and I didn't know where it came from. I left it on the wall beside my door and let the room steward know that if someone was looking for it, that it was there. No one ever came to claim it. I wouldn't want someone to think I took it, but obviously, someone thought our door needed more work. Yet the door beside us had nothing on it at all.

I think the door magnet issue is likely kids running by grabbing the magnet and just randomly placing in somewhere else. We've only decorated our doors once, it was when we cruised with our DD (5 at the time) and niece (2 at the time) so each could easily identify their and our rooms. It was pretty simplistic, Minnie ears with a pink bow and Minnie ears with a red bow. They didn't get touched during the cruise thankfully.

Since then we haven't done it (sort of wish we would have for Star Wars Day at Sea).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter