Poly DVC

This has been an interesting thread to read, but I'd really take Tikiman's reports with a big grain of salt at this point. I follow his blog on the Poly and from the first "announcement" there about DVC at the Polynesian until now, there has been a crazy amount of change in the description of what "will" be built.

Not at all to disparage his page- I think it is one of the better independent WDW pages out there. But really when you look at the arc of the information it has presented on DVC, I think there's only one thing that can be safely said:

DVD is aware that there is high demand for a DVC option at the Polynesian. There is a public discussion ongoing that may be about an actual future development plan, or may simply be based on wishful thinking by current and aspiring future DVC members.

Nothing else should be believed at this point. One of two things is possible-either Tikiman's sources have the same credibility as the average Disney bus driver; or they really do have inside knowledge and are passing along info to gauge public reaction to ideas which are still in the "blue sky" phase of development currently.

If the latter is true, then having an active discussion here is certainly a good thing, as some decision maker at DVD may well be reading this board to see what people think. If the former is true, then the discussion here is entertaining but fruitless.

Either way, I wouldn't get too excited about the "latest updates on construction" until those updates include photography inside completed villas. Until then, it's all just conjecture and imagination. Figment would be so proud...

This has been an interesting thread to read, but I'd really take Tikiman's reports with a big grain of salt at this point. I follow his blog on the Poly and from the first "announcement" there about DVC at the Polynesian until now, there has been a crazy amount of change in the description of what "will" be built.

Not at all to disparage his page- I think it is one of the better independent WDW pages out there. But really when you look at the arc of the information it has presented on DVC, I think there's only one thing that can be safely said:

DVD is aware that there is high demand for a DVC option at the Polynesian. There is a public discussion ongoing that may be about an actual future development plan, or may simply be based on wishful thinking by current and aspiring future DVC members.

Nothing else should be believed at this point. One of two things is possible-either Tikiman's sources have the same credibility as the average Disney bus driver; or they really do have inside knowledge and are passing along info to gauge public reaction to ideas which are still in the "blue sky" phase of development currently.

If the latter is true, then having an active discussion here is certainly a good thing, as some decision maker at DVD may well be reading this board to see what people think. If the former is true, then the discussion here is entertaining but fruitless.

Either way, I wouldn't get too excited about the "latest updates on construction" until those updates include photography inside completed villas. Until then, it's all just conjecture and imagination. Figment would be so proud...

I posted a similar sentiment the other day, but it was ignored. :sad2:

Honestly, I do not believe that the Tikiman receives up-to-the-minute reports on developments at Disney's Polynesian Resort. Instead, I suspect there is a lag and his posts present dated ideas. I base this conjecture on the dramatic range of information that has been posted on his pages over the past few months. His posts, which suggest significant change over a few months, likely chronicle the ideas of several years of development.

I summarized all of this information in an earlier post.

I think like with all things we will know what they are offering when they are offering it. I appreciate all speculation up until that point but take it with a grain if salt.

The wiring, plumbing, etc in Tahiti is already 30 years old...
Plus they are selling a building that is already paid for priced like new? Every other DVC (with exception being part of the animal kingdom) as a new construction right? And that part was far from 30 years old.

Ahhh, but the patina! You can't put a price on patina!

If what Tikiman says comes to fruition, then I am out. Meanwhile two months ago I was all set to add on at the Poly. What a shame.

With DH and I planning for a little one, we will be definitely in 1 BDR category in the near future. Studio has been fine when it's just him and I, but whenever we've brought a friend it's always a 1 BDR and that would be true once we have a kid too. We were planning on enough of a point add-on for a week long stay at Poly every 3 years, but that's out if they don't have 1 BDRs. If they go this way then we may just grab a resale at OKW to fill the same need.

Ok, I am FAR from a Facebook expert but when I looked at Tikiman's Facebook page, I no longer see the message about there only being studios and GV. I didn't actually sign in to Facebook, just web-searched for the page so maybe that makes a difference? The other posts on the page are the more recent ones I recall, though, so I think he might have deleted it.

Studios and GV's only makes zero sense to me. As much as I would love to add a Poly home resort into my portfolio, if this actually pans out as described by Tikiman, BLT will become my next add-on.

Studios and GV's only makes zero sense to me. As much as I would love to add a Poly home resort into my portfolio, if this actually pans out as described by Tikiman, BLT will become my next add-on.

After all of the monorail DVC resorts have been built, I suspect Bay Lake Tower will have been the best overall value. Although there are complaints about the furniture quality, BLT has its own pool and pool bar, tennis, bocce, and shuffleboard courts, and a lounge for fireworks viewing, just to name a few amenities. VGF owners have one building and VPR owners will have 30+ year-old converted buildings and several bungalows.

After all of the monorail DVC resorts have been built, I suspect Bay Lake Tower will have been the best overall value. Although there are complaints about the furniture quality, BLT has its own pool and pool bar, tennis, bocce, and shuffleboard courts, and a lounge for fireworks viewing, just to name a few amenities. VGF owners have one building and VPR owners will have 30+ year-old converted buildings and several bungalows.

These are some really good points...never thought of it in this manner! Hmm, now you have me re-thinking my next add on, thanks!

You may very well be right.

The very thought that the "as described by Tikiman Poly DVC" would be the newest DVC, yet be partially constituted by the oldest buildings in DVC, and will certainly be sold at a new resort premium is totally shameful and borderline criminal.

At the very least, tear down the old long houses and build them new!

I really hope Tikiman is dead wrong or disney totally reverses course on this one.

PS. DVC.... you give an over the water studio option i can give you a fixed week sale. I could even go for a studio with just a good view, but no way if its a rehabbed 30 year old building!!! Just sayin....

With the plans now, Poly will not be touched by me.

Furniture can and will wear out at all of the resorts at some point, and will be upgraded in due time. Perhaps BLT's furniture has gone south a little sooner than expected, so hopefully, the future upgrades will be of better quality. If that's the only knock against the resort, it's hard to argue against BLT. You make some very good points, and I agree that BLT offers tremendous value, especially as compared to VGF. We will need to see what product DVC puts on the market for Poly and at what price point before we can really form any concrete opinions, but I am not really liking the direction based on the current rumors to this point.

I suspect that sometime in 2014-2015, the resale market will take a slight downturn, making it favorable once again for buyers. During this downturn (if it happens as I predict), I would love to pickup 150-200 BLT points. Then once Poly is ready to hit the market, I suspect DVC will pull the same strings that we saw with VGF, announcing yet another price increase and artifically inflating the market, causing another rush. If these rumors pan out as currently described, I think BLT will become the premier MK resort to own for the great overall value and location as described above.

And you can walk to MK.

I've been very fortunate to have traded into BLT and love the property. Love the views and the walks to MK. :)

I really wanted an add on at the poly but will hold out for a back door DVC at DHS!! :)

Tahiti and Rapa Nui were built in 1985 and were not built with the pre-constructed, modular rooms by U.S. Steel. Needless to say, these rooms could be converted because the rooms are not stacked with frames and concrete built around them.

There is no concrete around any of the rooms in any of the buildings at the Polynesian other than filling in the gap that use to be under the first floors. There is steel framing and wood exterior with metal roofs.

I can’t say I blame you for thinking I am making this up as I go along but I share what I can when I can. The plan involving the 2 T shaped buildings I have been sitting on for well over a year when I announced it and I only was able to announce it because some other sources let some of the info out. I gave what details I had at the time. When new details come out I update the info. I really have better things to do than make up stuff and I would not even waste my time if these were rumors from sources not involved. Im not too concerned because time will tell if what I report is true or not and if you think it is false info because it changed then you don’t understand how things behind the scenes at Disney evolve.

There is no concrete around any of the rooms in any of the buildings at the Polynesian other than filling in the gap that use to be under the first floors. There is steel framing and wood exterior with metal roofs.

I can’t say I blame you for thinking I am making this up as I go along but I share what I can when I can. The plan involving the 2 T shaped buildings I have been sitting on for well over a year when I announced it and I only was able to announce it because some other sources let some of the info out. I gave what details I had at the time. When new details come out I update the info. I really have better things to do than make up stuff and I would not even waste my time if these were rumors from sources not involved. Im not too concerned because time will tell if what I report is true or not and if you think it is false info because it changed then you don’t understand how things behind the scenes at Disney evolve.

I do not doubt your postings and honestly enjoy following your Facebook and website updates. Among the non-official Disney sites, yours is certainly among the best.

With all the changes that have been announced, before anyone gets excited or disappointed or decides to purchase or pass, it seems that we should wait to see what ultimately happens as plans appear to be constantly evolving.

It was my intent to express mindfulness with my posts, not disrespect to you or your pages.

I do not doubt your postings and honestly enjoy following your Facebook and website updates. Among the non-official Disney sites, yours is certainly among the best.

With all the changes that have been announced, before anyone gets excited or disappointed or decides to purchase or pass, it seems that we should wait to see what ultimately happens as plans appear to be constantly evolving.

It was my intent to express mindfulness with my posts, not disrespect to you or your pages.

I appreciate the kind words. If you had ever met me you would know I really only am interested in sharing facts from sources involved and not second hand info. Running the site and keeping it up to date has been hard enough and now with all the changes and sometimes weekly info it has been a struggle keeping everyone informed but not share what I can’t. People want to know to plan or just out of curiosity and I want to be able to give them info they can plan to. I have no intension of being a place to post rumors unless I say it is a rumor.

I totally agree that people need to wait and see how it turns out. I am fairly confident I know 90% of what will be done and at this point it won’t change much but even I don’t know how it will look. I am in this waiting game with you guys. I am not even sure I know what to think. I have seen a little more than I have shared and I have to have faith it will turn out well but I am not so sure I will like it when it is done. It has changed a lot since the first concept and I am concerned with some of the things they took out of the initial design but the positive I take from the scaling back is that there will be a lot less increase in number of guests that the original concept. They finally told some of the staff at the Polynesian today so there should be more info coming out soon. Since my sharing has created a lot of negativity directed towards me (not speaking of you specifically) and negative emails I am considering just sitting on info as I get it. After 15 years of doing my site it has never really had a negative reaction until now.

I have been trying to release a new web site for the last year but family and hobbies have kept me from completing that. Now with all this construction stuff it has taken away more of my time and if it is just going to cause people stress over what they read it may be best to not share it.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment and I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter